Chinese Tourist drowns off the coast of Pattaya Island

webfact

Chinese Tourist drowns off the coast of Pattaya Island

china-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Sunday Afternoon, Police and rescue services were called into action to assist a 21 year old Chinese Tourist who had been pulled from the water and appeared not to be breathing.

Officials made their way to Tawan Beach on Larn Island, situated 4kms off the coast of Pattaya, and began administering CPR to Miss Su Lan aged 21. She was rushed to the Islands medical facility but could not be revived.

Mr. Chang Liu aged 38, a tour guide, took 35 Chinese Tourists to the Island on Sunday and explained that others in the group heard the screams of Miss Lan who appeared to be suffering from cramps approximately 30 meters from the shoreline.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/105777/chinese-tourist-drowns-coast-pattaya-island/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-10-14

About 2 years ago,while relaxing on Jomtien beach one afternoon(at least when the vendors weren`t in my face),an unconscious man(foreigner) was hauled in on a seadoo,and literally dumped on the beach. My wife called to me and said "I think he`s dead"! By the time I reached him,i could see he was in a bad state,he was blue from head to toe. He was surrounded by Thais,just standing there watching. Along with 2 other foreigners,we were able to revive him before the beach patrol arrived .They approached very non-chalantly,not in a hurry at all. Not one Thai made any attempt to help,other than his girlfriend urgently removing all his gold. I was informed later by the beach operator that he had survived. Had it not been for other foreigners,he would have surely gone home in a box.

........Where TF are the lifeguards or beach patrol......

........we are not people to Thais.....we are money.......

TF? Oh I get it now. I am not a Baht. LOL. If a Thai ever addresses me as such, I can always go back home.

About 2 years ago,while relaxing on Jomtien beach one afternoon(at least when the vendors weren`t in my face),an unconscious man(foreigner) was hauled in on a seadoo,and literally dumped on the beach. My wife called to me and said "I think he`s dead"! By the time I reached him,i could see he was in a bad state,he was blue from head to toe. He was surrounded by Thais,just standing there watching. Along with 2 other foreigners,we were able to revive him before the beach patrol arrived .They approached very non-chalantly,not in a hurry at all. Not one Thai made any attempt to help,other than his girlfriend urgently removing all his gold. I was informed later by the beach operator that he had survived. Had it not been for other foreigners,he would have surely gone home in a box.

Thank you for your help. He was indeed fortunate to have competent, caring people around. From my experience, Thais are not trained or inclined to help in emergencies. What help they tend to give is often limited to dragging an injured person to lay them down regardless of C-spine precautions; propping the victims head up; attempting to give a drink of water to an unconscious person; or putting an inhaler in the victims nose.

As for the non-chalant behavior of the emergency responders, I wasn't there so I can't comment other than I was trained not to run to the scene, particularly when carrying equipment. More than one EMT or Paramedic has tripped and fallen or been injured because they didn't evaluate the scene and endangered themselves in the process. (Electirc wires, guns involved, chemicals involved, domestic violence, etc.).

The lady may have been safeguarding the gold and people often do strange things during stressful situations.

Just my 2 Bahts worth.