An attempted Scam Failed[Scam Survivors]Share Your Story

Mangosteen1

In this topic we can all share our experience in attempted scams and our encounters with con-men in Thailand. how we managed to handle and get out of that situation.

Can be everything from minor street scams, taxi, tickets, hotels to gigantic scams: gem stones, real estates, trouble with policemen. you name it.

the important thing is this topic is how you got in and managed to get out of that situation thumbsup.gif

post-182659-0-84584700-1381786262_thumb.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I will tell a very simple story how I saved another guy from getting beaten up by taxi drivers: he was surrounded by 10 taxi drivers and wasn't allowed to leave. they were really going to beat him up. he didn't have enough cash that day, intoxicated and stupid enough to enter the taxi without enough cash, so in the end he couldn't pay the taxi trip. I didn't know the guy but I had seen him once before. I asked the drivers how much money is missing. they said 130 baht. I payed the 130 baht and he was out of trouble that day. The guys I was with knew him much better than me but they still didn't want to save him from that situation. we later became friends smile.png

• Like 2

Unfortunately Thailand is no exception for con men. Some of the worst emanate out of Nigeria, where their own Embassy warn of their own nationa'ls activities. In some cases, fraud is actually taught in some unscrupulous Colleges, where typical formats are handed out, with details of genuine accidents, whether an air crash or road accident. The facts can be checked on in past newspapers or T.V coverage, but just the names are changed. The dead 'relatives' supposedly left large sums of untouched money in a bank account in Nigeria or a neighbouring country, which can only be accessed by their taking on a foreign partner, who will allegedly receive a generous percentage of the millions of dollars at stake. Invariably there are lawyers and transfer fees to pay up front, before the surviving 'relative' disappears into the sunset !

An insurance SCAM in America went like this...

The scammer driving a car on the freeway would take an exit, stop and then put the car in reverse so the car behind him would "rear-end" him.....The scammer would then sue claiming he did nothing wrong (said he was just driving along) and the other car just wasn't paying attention and ran into him......worked for awhile ....idiot kept doing it though and the police saw the pattern.....

• Like 2

This happened recently (a few days ago) in Chiang Rai. A person (probably not the real person but someone pretending to be that person) said he worked on an oil rig off the gulf. Said he was getting married and needed 10 rooms for a total of 10 days. We sent him a quotation for that and sent it to him. He said we were to make several charges on his credit card (info was supplied) but then the case became rather curious. He wanted to be billed for other expenses he was going to incur - such as logistics and travel expenses for the persons that will be occupying the 10 rooms. We were going to deduct our fee but then hand over the money to a representative of his. This sounded alarm bells. We said that we could not further process his request and that hotel bookings could be done by an online booking agent. Communication with this person immediately ceased.

• Like 1

This happened recently (a few days ago) in Chiang Rai. A person (probably not the real person but someone pretending to be that person) said he worked on an oil rig off the gulf. Said he was getting married and needed 10 rooms for a total of 10 days. We sent him a quotation for that and sent it to him. He said we were to make several charges on his credit card (info was supplied) but then the case became rather curious. He wanted to be billed for other expenses he was going to incur - such as logistics and travel expenses for the persons that will be occupying the 10 rooms. We were going to deduct our fee but then hand over the money to a representative of his. This sounded alarm bells. We said that we could not further process his request and that hotel bookings could be done by an online booking agent. Communication with this person immediately ceased.

This is a common scam all over the world in the hotel business for many years, every hotelier should know this one by now, are you new to the business?

So I bought myself a nice shiny new fuel can. It's a posh European made thing with measuring marks on the side. First time I went to fill it, I spotted that the litreage on the receipt did't match the marks on the can. Hmm that's strange! So I asked the staff how this could be. Odly she seemed to have expected this question. So she poured the fuel back and refilled the can before my eyes and there again was the missing difference. So either my top quality western fuel can has been designed badly or the Thai petrol stations recalibrate their pumps.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Thailand is no exception for con men. Some of the worst emanate out of Nigeria, where their own Embassy warn of their own nationa'ls activities. In some cases, fraud is actually taught in some unscrupulous Colleges, where typical formats are handed out, with details of genuine accidents, whether an air crash or road accident. The facts can be checked on in past newspapers or T.V coverage, but just the names are changed. The dead 'relatives' supposedly left large sums of untouched money in a bank account in Nigeria or a neighbouring country, which can only be accessed by their taking on a foreign partner, who will allegedly receive a generous percentage of the millions of dollars at stake. Invariably there are lawyers and transfer fees to pay up front, before the surviving 'relative' disappears into the sunset !

Unfair of you to talk bad about the Nigerian Princes here in Thailand.

I know one very nice Nigerian Prince (from e-mail) and he even promised me a lot of money if I only sent him only a little bit.

One Nigerian who borrowed my passport, even gave it back again to me after 2 weeks.

When in business I had a series of emails seeking to lay the foundations of a high value transaction connected with a major event in Pattaya - it was the "sell" for an advance fee fraud although they had gone to some effort in back-story, it wasn't a simple scam, their keenness in doing business was over and above what was right.

Even after providing a quotation way over the odds they wanted to proceed - I just ignored emails and rejected the phone calls.

Just say no.

If you test the angles you don't get scammed.

OK I will tell a very simple story how I saved another guy from getting beaten up by taxi drivers: he was surrounded by 10 taxi drivers and wasn't allowed to leave. they were really going to beat him up. he didn't have enough cash that day, intoxicated and stupid enough to enter the taxi without enough cash, so in the end he couldn't pay the taxi trip. I didn't know the guy but I had seen him once before. I asked the drivers how much money is missing. they said 130 baht. I payed the 130 baht and he was out of trouble that day. The guys I was with knew him much better than me but they still didn't want to save him from that situation. we later became friends smile.png

Great story and thanks for helping a fellow human being.

Good for you. It sounded shady by these rather odd request of supplemental billings, i.e. logistics, travel, etc.

My first Honda Jazz had a see-through windscreen. Thai police could see me coming a mile off. I was stopped regularly; forced to hand over my licence then had to haggle to get it back. Then I had a brainwave; I put the licence in my wallet and sealed it behind a transparent cover. When asked, I turned over the whole thing. BIB was in a quandary; he was too dumb to work out how to abstract the licence; he couldn't keep my wallet. After some discussion he was forced to let me go despite me driving whilst in possession of a white face. I've never paid since.

My present Jazz has blacked out glass so they don't even stop me now.

Does OP have any other examples of foreigners scamming Thais?

I recall one either from here or told to me my a friend a few years ago, really quite good.

He was a frequent visitor to Pattaya mostly for the nocturnal enjoyment of music venues where he might have a beer and engage in conversation with the bar staff or people milling about on the streets etc.

On some occasions he would end up back in a hotel room with his deep meaningful overnight relationship encounter and they would do the normal things one does in these situations: Smooch, undress, shower together and then just before getting into bed he would carefully and with reverence take off his gold chain with some non-Buddha amulet also golden and carefully place it on the bedside table.

Sometimes he would wake in the morning pay his companion generously for her taxi home at whatever is the going rate for such services.....

....but on other occasions he would wake (or having had to feign sleep during the night) to find that by some strange and unexplainable co-incidence that the gold chain and young lady has disappeared overnight. w00t.gif

This wasn't really such a tragic loss for him as he had dozens of the chains & amulets and bought replacements at about 200-300 Baht a time, they just needed the right weight and look in a bar enviroment.

Just like the push-up bra the scam is sold under poor lighting maybe with a little question about street safety or not wanting to go on to a club because of the risk of theft. The lure has sewn itself in the mind of someone seeking their personal gain in a transaction that is not what it appears to be.

cheesy.gif

Good idea for a cheap shag or two.

Some years back while walking on Sukhumvit road I was bumped into by a young Chinese looking Thai with very good English. He apologised, took me for a coffee nearby and explained that his younger brother was studying to be a doctor and wanted to attend a conference in London. Their mother was very worried about this and would I go to the house to reassure her that London was safe? Smelling a rat I thanked him for the coffee and legged it. About 2 hours later I was queuing at and ATM and a lady who said she was from the Philippines told me that her younger sister was studying to be a dentist and had to go to a conference in London. Her mother was very worried about this and could I go round to the house and reassure her? Again I made my excuses, but I am still intrigued to know precisely what the scam was; maybe a drugged drink followed by a card game?

Some years back while walking on Sukhumvit road I was bumped into by a young Chinese looking Thai with very good English. He apologised, took me for a coffee nearby and explained that his younger brother was studying to be a doctor and wanted to attend a conference in London. Their mother was very worried about this and would I go to the house to reassure her that London was safe? Smelling a rat I thanked him for the coffee and legged it. About 2 hours later I was queuing at and ATM and a lady who said she was from the Philippines told me that her younger sister was studying to be a dentist and had to go to a conference in London. Her mother was very worried about this and could I go round to the house and reassure her? Again I made my excuses, but I am still intrigued to know precisely what the scam was; maybe a drugged drink followed by a card game?

Avoid any strangers who approach you and try to get involved in your business or disrupt / divert whatever you happen to be doing at the time without a very good reason.

OP: do you get paid for opening secondary posts for threads you have seen on ThaiVisa? coffee1.gif

Haha no.. I just think THAIVISA is a good place for us to share info and help on another. the other similar thread was of latest scams etc.

This thread is only about scams and how you managed to get out out of it.