Extension of Retirement Visa at Chaeng Wattana

To all of my fellow expats. I just wanted to inform you that I completed my first extension of my retirement visa at the Chaeng Wattana government complex with no problems. I submitted the necessary copies of my passport, the notarized declaration from the US Embassy on my monthly income and a copy of my latest rent receipt. No questions asked - except for my phone number. I also applied and received a multiple entry re-entry permit. I had to get a separate queue ticket to do this. Total time at Chaeng Wattana was about two hours.

I also wish to clarify one matter for other expats. I was due for a 90 day reporting at the same time. Just to be safe, I prepared a 90 day reporting form thinking I may have to do this as well. However, the government officer who processed my retirement visa extension said the the new stamp effectively 'reset' the 90 day reporting period and she stapled a slip of paper on the page opposite my extension stamp with the next date on which I needed to report. The slip of paper also noted the fines for reporting late.

Considering I waited in two separate queues, I think things went very smooth and my thanks to the government officers involved.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, this must have been your first extension of stay based on retirement. Only the first extension of stay is considered to be the same as a 90 day report. From now on you must report every 90 days in a row you are in the country, even if you apply for a new extension of stay you now must do a 90 day report, separately.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, this must have been your first extension of stay based on retirement. Only the first extension of stay is considered to be the same as a 90 day report. From now on you must report every 90 days in a row you are in the country, even if you apply for a new extension of stay you now must do a 90 day report, separately.

Yes, this was my first extension of stay. Based on a conversation with a friend and other info this forum, I fully expected to have to do a 90 report and had the paperwork ready. However, it does seem a bit strange to have to do a 90 report when, in reality, you are being issued a new visa. I will remember next time and thanks for this information.

Yes, this was my first extension of stay. Based on a conversation with a friend and other info this forum, I fully expected to have to do a 90 report and had the paperwork ready. However, it does seem a bit strange to have to do a 90 report when, in reality, you are being issued a new visa. I will remember next time and thanks for this information.

You weren't being issue a new visa, you were simply extending your permission to stay.

Is the proof of rent something new? I never heard of that requirement.

It is to proof the address and with that the immigration office one needs to use.

That's a new one on me. I've been getting extensions of st ay for retirement at the same place for almost 20 years and do not ever recall being asked for proof of paying rent.

Is the proof of rent something new? I never heard of that requirement.

---------------------

Not really usually required, but they may ask, especially for the initial (1st extension).

They may simply ask for your address and your telephone number.

They did that to me with my initial extension, haven't done it again since that time (I've done 3 renewals since).

Also be aware that they may request you to go downstairs with your passbook and make a token deposit or withdrawal to prove that passbook is valid and account is active.

100 Baht deposit or withdrawal will do, they just want to see it stamped into your passbook the same day you apply.

They don't always do this, but sometimes they will.

Don't get worried if they do, it's not unusual.

On my first or 4 more follow-on retirement extensions of stay obtained at CW I have never been asked for proof of residence. A few times they have pointed at the address I have entered on the application form and asked is this where I live and I say yes. I always take my Yellow Book along and a copy of a utility bill in my name just in case they ever do ask for proof of residence...but so far they haven't asked. Your results may vary.

You weren't being issue a new visa, you were simply extending your permission to stay.

Maybe we are splitting 'semantic' hairs but the extension is based on the issuance of my original visa, right? If that is the case, why should the first extension be any different than subsequent extensions? Either way you look at it.

Edited by pookiki

He used the receipt as proof of address.

Yes, I used it as my proof of address. There was no indication by the government official that it was needed but she didn't return it to me, either. Based on the numerous posts on getting an extension of stay, I thought it would be the best way to avoid any potential problems. As a back-up, I also had a copy of my rental agreement with me. One last thing, if my phone number is an important issue, I wonder why it isn't requested on the extension form. But that is a very minor issue.

Maybe we are splitting 'semantic' hairs but the extension is based on the issuance of my original visa, right? If that is the case, why should the first extension be any different than subsequent extensions? Either way you look at it.

Regarding your first question, it really is preferable IMHO if the correct terminology is used. Much unnecessary confusion has been (and continues to be) caused on this forum by posters insisting on referring to extensions of stay as "visas"!

The simple answer to your second question is TIT!!