Yamaha FZ-09 on a scale (pics)

Pick up my new MT-09 tomorrow here in Singapore.

I opted for the official Yamaha Akroprovic full system also. Need to get it inspected the same day by the government testing station to register the exhaust.

Can't wait to get on it.

• Like 1

Has Yammy given out any official statement about this (what seems) universal need for improvements?

Yamaha has given an official statement on this from day one: The price tag.

Good point and perhaps today's recall notice mentioned in 'Motorcyclist magazine' Facebook page re faulty wiring?

Has Yammy given out any official statement about this (what seems) universal need for improvements?

Good point and perhaps today's recall notice mentioned in 'Motorcyclist magazine' Facebook page re faulty wiring?

I haven't seen the Motorcyclist article but I'm guessing the wiring point relates to the headlight unit wiring. On some bikes apparently the loom is too short and when moving bars lock to lock it can disconnect the loom from the back of the headlight unit. Hasn't happened to mine.

There's another service bulletin just issued for the FZ09 (and I think maybe also for MT09) which is for an ECU reflash to smooth out throttle response below 4000 rpm or so. Stock response is quite on/off in A and STD modes. I'm going to go to Yamaha Ratchada waving the bulletin (see below) and see if they know about it and cool.png they can do the reflash. Owners on US forum who've had the flash say it makes a lot of difference - and it's free.

post-212467-0-65160900-1411690768_thumb.

post-212467-0-91178100-1411690781_thumb.

I haven't seen the Motorcyclist article but I'm guessing the wiring point relates to the headlight unit wiring. On some bikes apparently the loom is too short and when moving bars lock to lock it can disconnect the loom from the back of the headlight unit. Hasn't happened to mine.

There's another service bulletin just issued for the FZ09 (and I think maybe also for MT09) which is for an ECU reflash to smooth out throttle response below 4000 rpm or so. Stock response is quite on/off in A and STD modes. I'm going to go to Yamaha Ratchada waving the bulletin (see below) and see if they know about it and cool.png they can do the reflash. Owners on US forum who've had the flash say it makes a lot of difference - and it's free.

post-212467-0-65160900-1411690768_thumb.

post-212467-0-91178100-1411690781_thumb.

So why doesn't Yamaha sell a version of this bike that's a bit more expensive, but includes a good suspension and maybe even some wind protection?

Meet the Yamaha FJ-09, coming in 2015! Imagine a Versys kind of bike with the 100+ hp triple from the FZ-09. How sweet would that be??

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/09/yamaha-fj-09-is-coming-and-it-should-be-a-big-hit/

091714-2top-i-730x495.jpg

Edited by nikster
  • Like 2

So why doesn't Yamaha sell a version of this bike that's a bit more expensive, but includes a good suspension and maybe even some wind protection?

Meet the Yamaha FJ-09, coming in 2015! Imagine a Versys kind of bike with the 100+ hp triple from the FZ-09. How sweet would that be??

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/09/yamaha-fj-09-is-coming-and-it-should-be-a-big-hit/

091714-2top-i-730x495.jpg

sure that will be sweet! i am aware of it for some time too.

that is such a good looking and purposeful bike from yamaha!

If it will be as light as mt 09 and if they fix fueling and suspension issues of the bike, i believe it sells well and if they sell it for a reasonable price in Thailand even i might think about it.

i also await a smaller version of FJR1300 with the same engine and setup, i hope they make it as well.

please please reasonable prices like mt 09 with overhauls suspension and fueling Yamaha.

yamaha is on the right direction IMO after all those years of sleep.

waiting for new r1 anxiously too.

First thoughts on riding the bike for the first time.

Light and quick steering.

Wants to wheelie away from the traffic lights on the throttle alone.

Not really pushed it yet due to new tyres but up to now no issues with the suspension.

Excellent sound from the Akra exhaust

Small tank range

Regarding the throttle response. I used to ride a street triple and always thought that the cable throttle control was far too long between on and off. Never got around to installing a quick action throttle tube though.

So the way this bike goes from idle to go is quite nice. The guy in the dealer assured me that all recall issues had been sorted as a matter of course.

The bike is really low geared and is a real scream from a standing start.

My wife isn't impressed though. She worries about me riding a bike.

Cheers

• Like 2

I went for the ABS model in the end.

What I found particularly impressive about the service from the dealer is that they ordered the exact spec bike I asked for about 2 months ago when I was living in Malaysia. No deposit, no commitment.

I found it surprising that they had gone ahead and ordered the bike off the bike of a few overseas emails.

Nice one = Hong Leong (Yamaha) thumbsup.gif

I went for the ABS model in the end.

What I found particularly impressive about the service from the dealer is that they ordered the exact spec bike I asked for about 2 months ago when I was living in Malaysia. No deposit, no commitment.

I found it surprising that they had gone ahead and ordered the bike off the bike of a few overseas emails.

Nice one = Hong Leong (Yamaha) thumbsup.gif

like your bike. Nice color and nice exhaust. I see you already have a top box too. We'll done. For me the spending would stop here and the riding would begin.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

First thoughts on riding the bike for the first time.

Light and quick steering.

Wants to wheelie away from the traffic lights on the throttle alone.

Not really pushed it yet due to new tyres but up to now no issues with the suspension.

Excellent sound from the Akra exhaust

Small tank range

Regarding the throttle response. I used to ride a street triple and always thought that the cable throttle control was far too long between on and off. Never got around to installing a quick action throttle tube though.

So the way this bike goes from idle to go is quite nice. The guy in the dealer assured me that all recall issues had been sorted as a matter of course.

The bike is really low geared and is a real scream from a standing start.

My wife isn't impressed though. She worries about me riding a bike.

Cheers

nice. congrats for your new bike soihok, it is a great bike man!

wish you great and safe rides!

for suspension and fueling issues, you can always fix them.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Cheers guys!

The bike will be used for my daily thrash, sorry, I mean commute to the new job and back.

Not actually having seen one up close until I met my bike in the showroom a couple of days ago I was taken aback how small it is.

After riding it for the first time I can only compare it to my old Street Triple. Loads of low down power. Can't see the fuss over the suspension as of yet but I have only done about 50km now.

The snatchy throttle is awesome. However, the shop did inform me there were no updates required.

Will see how it goes.

I can see that the small tank capacity may be a bit of a inconvenience.

Generally very happy. Bought the bike off the back of road test reports and comments made on forums such as this.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Nice looking bike and exhaust! congrats man!

hope you have all the fun with in Singapore. have you tried riding on highways? what's the speed limit on highways there?

Highway is generally 90 kph but they are crowded and short distances

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks into the mad commute here.

Bike is great for the endless stream of traffic lights and lane splitting (at those lights), the launch away is a treat and will be better once the bike has done the 1000km run in period. Very light with good handling (never get above 90 kph - at the moment).

Throttle action no issue.

Front suspension no issue.

Rear suspension feels like the damping was low on the list of criteria during design but I haven't checked the rebound settings yet, sag is about right and it feels firm enough. It just continues to react (damping) after the bump in the road has been and gone. Not a great issue as I am only going to work and back everyday through traffic, a round trip of 24 km.

Traffic light launces per daily trip (in A mode) = about 16 to 20 smile.png

^ 'A' mode is the way to go. Personally I find it smoother than standard for initial response.

You're not alone in feeling that the rear damping is inadequate. A lot of riders agree and there's not much you can do about it with the stock shock.

• Like 1

Ari Henning's doin time with yamaha mt 09.

Finally he says he can get the full potential of the bike after an aftermarket rear penske shock, and GP Suspension fork components and ecu flash which all cost around 2000 USD and still he feels some vagueness at front he says but tunable.

So, you buy the bike for 7999 USD and spend 2000 USD which makes it 9999 USD and it is still a very good bargain IMO for this bike as same price with Triumph street triple but more grunt and better suspensions with the addition of aftermarket suspension.

Unfortunately, it is expensive in Thailand otherwise it might be a great bike to commute and ride in the city aggressively at 190 kg wet and 115 hp!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/yamaha-fz-09-doin-time?dom=mcy&loc=contentwell&lnk=yamaha-fz09-doin-time

• Like 1

I really like this bike. I was looking at it for a while when I heard 8000 bucks price tag, was hoping it would sell here for 240k. Then saw at Yamaha CM was shocked to hear 430,000 bht which is pretty much double the price overseas. This is insane, otherwise it would be one of the best bangs for your buck here in TH

Keep in mind most of the roads in Singapore are smoooooth.

Exactly! I was thinking the same. You will be fine.

Yes, fine already on the way for activating a red light camera.whistling.gif

The fine ain't a problem = 5000 baht.

The 12 points on the way are (reach 24 and its adios license). Points will remain for a year if no further offence.

Not even completed the bike break in period of 1000km yet, I guess it will slow me down m'lord (too used to the lax rules of Malaysia).