Yamaha FZ-09 on a scale (pics)

I've read several reviews of the Yamaha- you have to remember that they're generally written by guys that are great riders and are spoiled by the newest/latest bikes on a daily basis- for most riders, the stock suspension will do the job.

True.

Most get caught up in the hype, not realizing that their skill level is nowhere near the performance level that the top shelf components can deliver.

If you can pull wrenches some amazing things can be done for very little cash.

As your skills progress, you can buy better parts, but if starting with a 'starter' bike, probably better off with a higher-performance bike than try to improve yours. Many things different than just springs and shocks - geometry for one.

that is true but regardless of skill level, good suspensions means a better and safer ride for any type rider.

i do not want to comment about my skill level but after 10 minutes or ride, i found the suspensions of mt 09 soft.

Hilarious review from a very inexperienced rider but he's having a great time.

i stopped watching when he went for the "gentler" "A" mode engine mapping, which by all other accounts i read was the sharpest.

Edited by HooHaa

Hilarious review from a very inexperienced rider but he's having a great time.

Good find, Jack! Remind me of our mad race to Sisaket all those years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nice Bike!!! Too bad it's overpriced in Thailand.

I know it's no comparison but I guess I'll buy a honda CB650F.

Just seems better priced.

Hopefully in the future we'll get more bikes for the actual price in Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Overpriced? I think that 435,000 baht is a good price for this bike.

The CB650 is 285,000 !!

The CB650 is 285,000 !!

it is this way in Thailand but in USA, mt 09 is 1000 usd cheaper than cb650f somehow!

The CB650 is 285,000 !!

So?

I don't follow your logic/astonishment.

CB650 -> 650 cc bike made in Thailand is 285K

FZ-09 -> 850 cc bike imported from Japan is 435K

Am I missing something? This looks quite normal to me.

Test rode both hypermotard and mt09 and hypermotard runs and handles much more better. And in Thailand with these prices, if you want to choose between these two bikes, hypermotard is no brainer. Only 65 k thb difference! And duc has all those electronics and sex appeal.

Front suspensions of mt09 were softer than cbr650f - but of course they need to handle more power - and throttle was twitchy but it was twitchy with hypermotard too. besides, I think mt09 feels faster.

Nit-picking but the throttle isn't twitchy on the Hyper, you just have to get used to it. Ride by wire means there is no delay, lag, or play on the throttle - wrist straight to the engine. It's also set to be very sensitive, especially in sports mode - definitely takes getting used to but once you are you really don't want to have it any other way. It allows for much better throttle control. People who try the bike for 10 minutes complain about it, and so did some reviewers. I had quite a few embarrassing starts from the red light too in the beginning. But now - it's just fine, in fact it's more than fine, it's perfect.

So when they say the MT-09 has a twitchy throttle I believe it when I see it, until then benefit of doubt.

• Like 1

The friend who took the pics in the OP has since added a second FZ-09 to his stable (and when I say 'stable' I'm quite serious- he has something like 250 motorcycles, including a collection of Ducatis and Bimotas and a Y2K turbine bike- he's kind of nuts in a good way and is a local legend in SoCal;))- I know he did the suspension upgrades and an ECU flash and loves the bike- I have to find out how they're running now.

Is your friend Jay Leno?

The friend who took the pics in the OP has since added a second FZ-09 to his stable (and when I say 'stable' I'm quite serious- he has something like 250 motorcycles, including a collection of Ducatis and Bimotas and a Y2K turbine bike- he's kind of nuts in a good way and is a local legend in SoCal;))- I know he did the suspension upgrades and an ECU flash and loves the bike- I have to find out how they're running now.

Is your friend Jay Leno?

No, though they know each other through their love of bikes- my friend managed to make stupid money in real estate, but has no real extravagances in his life other than motorcycles.;)

Really, though, his collection is astounding- he used to have more bikes, but he cut it down to concentrate more on collectible stuff in the last few years- many old Harleys and obscure British stuff lately.

I like it very much, saw the whole video JUDAS uploaded, man it sounds good and yes the rider had a ball, he-he. I think it was shot in Portugal? The tester said 7500EU which is app 333K baht.

I heard it's 700K baht in Denmark, fxxx me, Nazi prices man.

Yamaha Pattaya told me they get it in June but there will off-course not be any test rides as no way they will let anybody ride one, it will be money right out of the window if they do.

I was very surprised it was possible to test ride a Ducati Hyperstrada at Ducati Pattaya.

Test rode both hypermotard and mt09 and hypermotard runs and handles much more better. And in Thailand with these prices, if you want to choose between these two bikes, hypermotard is no brainer. Only 65 k thb difference! And duc has all those electronics and sex appeal.

Front suspensions of mt09 were softer than cbr650f - but of course they need to handle more power - and throttle was twitchy but it was twitchy with hypermotard too. besides, I think mt09 feels faster.

Nit-picking but the throttle isn't twitchy on the Hyper, you just have to get used to it. Ride by wire means there is no delay, lag, or play on the throttle - wrist straight to the engine. It's also set to be very sensitive, especially in sports mode - definitely takes getting used to but once you are you really don't want to have it any other way. It allows for much better throttle control. People who try the bike for 10 minutes complain about it, and so did some reviewers. I had quite a few embarrassing starts from the red light too in the beginning. But now - it's just fine, in fact it's more than fine, it's perfect.

So when they say the MT-09 has a twitchy throttle I believe it when I see it, until then benefit of doubt.

Possible nickster.

There is always a getting used to period period on throttle, brakes, clutch, ergonomics etc.

I am just comparing the throttle application of these two bikes with my Hondas I drive which they are much more smoother and fuelling is perfect.

Also one strange thing is when I was testing hypermotard and hyperstrada, hypermotard was smoother and strata a lot twitchier. And these bikes are same actually!

you said your friend had a turbine bike, I wonder if he is this guy:

The engine of the MT-09 must be really fun, from the reviews I read. I really love the torque.

I wish it was cheaper here, if less than 340K would definitely be on option to my next upgrade. considering the prices of the CB650.

I test drove a CB650 the other day, really smooth engine.

you said your friend had a turbine bike, I wonder if he is this guy:

It's possible that's him (I can't tell with the gear on), but it's a bit further north from where he usually rides. His Y2K bike has had some issues- I know after the first few runs he had to do a lot of work on it. Apparently it will get beaten off the line by just about anything, but once it starts moving it just keeps on building. Really, though, the bike is just a novelty- it's more of a side-show freak than anything else.;)

For a comparison of LOS and the US- he picked up his bike for not much more than the price (over here) of a Panigale R.

This is him going up Palomar- another friend of mine is filming from a Duc Streetfighter (I think) when it's not from the Y2K POV- you can see it has some problems at about the 6:40 mark:

Edited by RubberSideDown

• 1 month later...

Just a bump to update this thread a bit- my friend just put BST CF wheels and an M4 exhaust on, and cleaned up the tail- I think it looks great:

post-176811-0-21687200-1405646208_thumb.

He also picked up an FZ-07 which is currently bring fitted with an Ohlins front end and Marvic magnesium wheels:

post-176811-0-80478000-1405646296_thumb.

It would be fun to make a project out of one of these bikes if the prices weren't so stupidly high in LOS...

that is true but regardless of skill level, good suspensions means a better and safer ride for any type rider.

i do not want to comment about my skill level but after 10 minutes or ride, i found the suspensions of mt 09 soft.

This is truly a non-sense post.

Do you think maybe the Yamaha doesn't have suspension adjustments?

Go back to the dealer. Get a flat blade screwdriver. At the back coil-over screw the rebound & preload in as far as it will go.

Then go to the front forks. Do the same. Run the screws in as far as it will go & screw down the preload as far as possible.

Take the bike out for a test ride & then report back.

Suspensions are adjustable for a reason. I weigh 245 pounds & probably I like it stiffer than a person who weighs 140.

This is truly a non-sense post.

Do you think maybe the Yamaha doesn't have suspension adjustments?

Go back to the dealer. Get a flat blade screwdriver. At the back coil-over screw the rebound & preload in as far as it will go.

Then go to the front forks. Do the same. Run the screws in as far as it will go & screw down the preload as far as possible.

Take the bike out for a test ride & then report back.

Suspensions are adjustable for a reason. I weigh 245 pounds & probably I like it stiffer than a person who weighs 140.

it is truly nonsense to say nonsense to that post.

and thank you for informing us on how to adjust a suspension!

check reviews over the net my friend. pumping up preload or adjusting suspensions does not work much owners and reviews say.

Then they are more full of BS than you are.

I've owned a FZ-1 in Thailand & it wasn't made by Honda. We already know your preference.

Move along. Nothing for you to see here.

The FZ-1 need a huge amount of tweaking to get them up out of the scooter class. Much cheaper to buy a superbike & it rips right out of the box. I will be buying a ZX-10R next.

Restricted CBR-1000RR no thanks.

Then they are more full of BS than you are.

I've owned a FZ-1 in Thailand & it wasn't made by Honda. We already know your preference.

Move along. Nothing for you to see here.

The FZ-1 need a huge amount of tweaking to get them up out of the scooter class. Much cheaper to buy a superbike & it rips right out of the box. I will be buying a ZX-10R next.

Restricted CBR-1000RR no thanks.

Sometime I ask myself, is god giving me guys like you in numbers?

Or am i an a.sh.le magnet?!

Edited by ll2

• 3 weeks later...

Got the OTR price for the MT-09 in Singapore = SG$ 20450 (includes the compulsary COE 10 year tax of SG$4000). Just a bit over half a million Baht.

I will be going for the Non ABS model.

Interestingly the MT-07 is only about 800 less than the MT-09 which I find strange.

Are you passing on the ABS option because of price or preference?

When do you get yours?

Price isn't the main reason although it is about 25K Baht more, more of preference ( then again 25K baht isn't a lot when you consider crashing or not).

Do you own an MT-09 with ABS?

Have you really tested it out (tried to lock up), if so does tend to roll further than what you expected (as in momentarily releasing to avoid locking)?

Will try to read up on more road tests I think.

I'm waiting to see if they have a demonstrator. Interestingly enough I was going to go for the MT-07 until I saw the price difference, don't know why they are priced so similarly.

I'm waiting for a reply from the Yamaha distributor about waiting lists. Will buy one when I get there towards the end of September.

For commuting ABS would be beneficial rather than detrimental- there are a lot of good articles showing how well current systems work on the street, and even pros who are making non-panic stops on a prepared surface often can't beat it for stopping distance. On a track or in the dirt where you might want to intentionally lock up the rear tire it would obviously not be an advantage, but where will you be doing your riding?

• Like 1