Yamaha FZ-09 on a scale (pics)

Soihok, riding a FZ-09 in Singapore is torture (keeping the speed down) and I frankly don't understand why you bough one?

Get a 500cc Royal Endfield man, great sound and max 130km/h or thereabouts.

I see super bikes and Lamborghini's in Singapore and unless they go to Malaysia often a total waste of money.

• Like 1

The bike is perfectly suited to stop and start, its not the speed. Red light caught me out, unfortunately it had a camera installed.

Light and quick.

Royal Enfield, no thanks mate. I'm not that old yet.

Keep in mind most of the roads in Singapore are smoooooth.

Exactly! I was thinking the same. You will be fine.

Yes, fine already on the way for activating a red light camera.whistling.gif

The fine ain't a problem = 5000 baht.

The 12 points on the way are (reach 24 and its adios license). Points will remain for a year if no further offence.

Not even completed the bike break in period of 1000km yet, I guess it will slow me down m'lord (too used to the lax rules of Malaysia).

Bunch of control freaks there.

But If they don't stop you when you commit an offence you could always say it was your buddy from Europe that was driving your bike while on vacation in Singapore.

• 2 months later...

Are there any rumours that Thailand will be getting the new FJ 09 ????

At 10,500 usd, i believe it is expensive. I think it will be around 550 k thb where you can get a nice triumph tiger for 70 k thb less or a versys1000 for 60 k thb more.

Yamaha couldnt make it nicely like they made with mt09 this time.

Expection less than that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going to order a Maxton shock from the UK. An Ohlins shock is possible but I like the built to order offer from Maxton. Total cost including post is about 25k Baht.

Cheers

cool! 25 k thb is also not bad imo.

also what i heard yamaha found a way to eliminate abrupt throttle responses and fuelling. like they reflash the ecu, did you check it from your yamaha dealer?

The dealer offers the remapping free, but once done it can't be reversed so I am a bit reluctant. I have got used to the quick throttle response now, always used to long for a quick action throttle for the Street Triple so undecided.

The bike has also been recalled to change part of the wiring loom. Not got around to it yet.

Think I will keep the throttle the way it is until I read more reports.

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm probably going to take one of these up North next week.

Renting from pops i think it is in Chiang Mai.

I'm used to a bigger more powerful bike at home but i like Yamahas, so will see when i try it.

Will do a one day rent first, or try out a couple of different bikes there,then decide.

This model sounds OK from what i've read of it.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

The dealer offers the remapping free, but once done it can't be reversed so I am a bit reluctant. I have got used to the quick throttle response now, always used to long for a quick action throttle for the Street Triple so undecided.

The bike has also been recalled to change part of the wiring loom. Not got around to it yet.

Cheers

Why can't it be reversed? It's just an upload of a different ECU map- if they have the tools to change it, they can also change it back. I've got several maps for my bike and can change them at will (Kawasaki and Yamaha use a similar interface), and I don't have the resources of a dealer.

Is it a warranty restriction? If it's not a recall, it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Cheers

what i heard, ecu re flash and remapping not only correcting abrupt throttle responses - life is easy without abrupt throttle responses, more control on your bike especially for low speed rides - but also corrects fueling issues and they upload a better map.

Cheers

Why can't it be reversed? It's just an upload of a different ECU map- if they have the tools to change it, they can also change it back. I've got several maps for my bike and can change them at will (Kawasaki and Yamaha use a similar interface), and I don't have the resources of a dealer.

Think they were referring to the work being done free of charge, as the remapping is a free mod.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cheers

The ECU flash could be reversed if Yam Corporate made the original programming available to dealers. They don't. The flash we're talking about here flashes a 2014 ECU with the standard factory programming for the 2015 FZ/MT09. It's optional - the dealer notice says to offer it only to customers who complain about snatchy throttle.

I've had mine flashed and it does smooth out some of the abrupt fueling rolling on / off the throttle in A mode at lower RPM, particularly when riding in town and on crap road surfaces. I only ever ride in A mode and while you do get used to the twitchy throttle response, it's not fun if say you're canted over, hit a bump, and get that translated into a sudden throttle input.

Any 09 owner deliberating it should ask their local dealer if they can test ride an 2015 bike to compare the throttle response.

• Like 2

Just had a reply from Maxton.

Their RT10 shock won't fit due to bikes frame, looks like I am going to go for a cheaper NR4 shock instead. Waiting for a price.

Maybe ask if you can fit upside down ? The remote reservoir w/ SS hose should enable it to be placed anywhere.

Their RT10 shock won't fit due to bikes frame, looks like I am going to go for a cheaper NR4 shock instead. Waiting for a price.

Maybe ask if you can fit upside down ? The remote reservoir w/ SS hose should enable it to be placed anywhere.

Yes, the Maxton shock is the GP10, quoted GB Pounds 720 = 36,000 Bht - which is too much considering I only use the bike to commute on. The speeds I reach are selfdom over 100 kph.

I am living in Singapore where the highest legal speed is 90 - I am half way to losing my license due to being snapped by a red light camera. So, any next offence means I have to carry points for 2 years.

Been quoted an Ohlins s46DR1 shock here = the same price as the Maxton (NR4).

Still think I will stick with the Maxton shock - built to order rather than off the shelf.

Edited by soihok
  • Like 1

Yes, the Maxton shock is the GP10, quoted GB Pounds 720 = 36,000 Bht - which is too much considering I only use the bike to commute on. The speeds I reach are selfdom over 100 kph.

I am living in Singapore where the highest legal speed is 90 - I am half way to losing my license due to being snapped by a red light camera. So, any next offence means I have to carry points for 2 years.

Been quoted an Ohlins s46DR1 shock here = the same price as the Maxton (NR4).

Still think I will stick with the Maxton shock - built to order rather than off the shelf.

No tracks in Singapore where you can take your bike?

Yeah - they take no prisoners there. Very Strict.

On my visits I liked the place - just seemed too ... 'Sterile'... for want of a better word.

• Like 1

I'll see the price of an NR4 first.

I have also been quoted for an Ohlins shock.

The stock shock is ok most of the time, but the lack of damping is annoying.

Time to change it.

I went for the basic Ohlins (the S46DR1 with preload / rebound but no compression). Cost THB 21,755 through Dirt Shop. I'm pretty happy with it. The spring is not as stiff as the stock (90 N/mm as opposed to 100 n/mm if memory serves). I thought about Maxton / Hyperpro etc but Ohlins have a better aftersales capacity here in Thailand. They have a new factory here and the expat guys who run it are very helpful and happy to answer technical questions about their various products vis-a-vis your bike etc.

http://www.ohlinsasia.com/page_a.php?cid=7&cname=Contact%20Us

• Like 1

Cheers for the info.

Spoke to Richard Adams last night and have gone ahead and purchased an NR4 shock. Should be delivered within 3 weeks.

I'll let you know what difference it makes once I manage to get it on.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I just started using the bike forums....i skipped 6 of these pages as i have an FZ now. Ive also got the NR4 fitted plus a lot of other mods...some made by me. Pm me if you want to know anything specific. Ive just moved to fang to be nearer the real roads smile.png

Have you had Yamaha remap the fuel settings to help with the sharp ride by wire throttle response?

I still haven't had this done, I kind of like it the way it is and seeing as Yamaha say they can't re-install the original factory setting I am still in two minds.

How is it?

Edited by soihok