Thai-Danish 7-year-old to be deported from Denmark

webfact

For those that are cheering the ruling without knowing the facts is shameful.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but ... For those that are dismissing the ruling without knowing the facts is shameful.

A Sovereign Country has the right to make rulings in line with their Laws.

We are crying out for 'Rule of Law' in Thailand and when, apparently it's imposed in Denmark ... we are crying foul ... not a fair go!

You can't adopt the Moral high ground without acknowledging the Laws of the Country.

This is a little silly. History is littered with unethical and immoral laws that people fought to change or indeed still remain.

Being a law doesn't change it from being unethical and immoral.

I'm sure you don't need me to give you examples.

It seems Denmark has a history of such decisions, sadly.

And for those calling for tit-for-tat parity, let's have a Thai language test for your future visas.

Daft laugh.png , can the Russian leader Putin speak English when ALL his counter parts can. laugh.png

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't mean to be disrespectful but ... For those that are dismissing the ruling without knowing the facts is shameful.

We are crying out for 'Rule of Law' in Thailand and when, apparently it's imposed in Denmark ... we are crying foul ... not a fair go!

You can't adopt the Moral high ground without acknowledging the Laws of the Country.

Again not knowing the facts for the ruling to use a cliche, sometimes "the law is an ass" and as I posted above when appropriate compassion should be exercised by the relevant government minister.

Just because Thai immigration law can a negative in some situations there is no need to take on a retaliatory position articulated by some posters.

Why not ?. If my mrs was to die, her son that ''I'' have been taking care of has lost a father that his own father could not give a sh_t about. I would be told to bugger off UNLESS I can find dosh for another Visa type. It's rolox and a one way street.

OPEN the eyes of those who control LOS and perhaps things might change.

• Like 1

I wonder if she is fined 20,000 Baht before she can leave if she has an expired visa. And if she can't pay it, is she kept in prison indefinitely? No, I didn't think so.

She is an economic migrant with almost certainly no vocational skills required by Denmark. She should re-apply for settlement along with all the other wannabe welfare claimants.

Of course, the easy way is for her to go back to Thailand and it will take her about 5 minutes to find another bloke wanting to take her to a Scandinavian country.

Again not knowing the facts for the ruling to use a cliche, sometimes "the law is an ass" and as I posted above when appropriate compassion should be exercised by the relevant government minister.

Just because Thai immigration law can a negative in some situations there is no need to take on a retaliatory position articulated by some posters.

Why not ?. If my mrs was to die, her son that ''I'' have been taking care of has lost a father that his own father could not give a sh_t about. I would be told to bugger off UNLESS I can find dosh for another Visa type. It's rolox and a one way street.

We are not going to agree that retaliatory policy by foreign governments on immigration laws for Thais will change Thai immigration legislation to the better for foreigners.

• Like 1

BUT, it must be a two way street. Yea/No ?

. Thai logic has noooooooooooooooooo interest in their own folk in the event of a death, so why should a farang country ? Let their own homeland take care of them...........BUT, their own homeland will NOT take care of them will they ???? Soooooooo every stone must be turned so farang land will do what their homeland will not.,

Something is rotten in the State of Denmark - sorry couldn't resist.

Yes, something is rotten in the State of Denmark – to be a bit sarcastic – mom and daughter unfortunately have the wrong religion; should have been Muslims...!
A case like this seems odd and way out for us Danes, especially when it is so easy to get a permission to stay in Denmark, when you come from a Muslim country, claiming asylum. The story about Im and her mother reached quite a lot of reaction and comments in Danish media – which sometimes may be that positive, that it create a political reaction. One thing is rules – passport, nationality etc. for Im and her mother – another thing is humanity; and that's where it make cases like this one so difficult for the average Dane to accept, when people with no connection or integration at all, because of rules can obtain permission to stay in Denmark, whilst a well integrated child cannot.
Makes me feel ashamed, being Danish.

You forget my post..............If the Danish guys wife died in LOS, what would happen to him ?

Why don't you start a topic if you feel it's something you want to debate? The question is completely irrelevant within the context of the current topic.
  • Like 1

You forget my post..............If the Danish guys wife died in LOS, what would happen to him ?

Why don't you start a topic if you feel it's something you want to debate? The question is completely irrelevant within the context of the current topic.

Not according to the Danish point of view is it. ?

Yes, something is rotten in the State of Denmark to be a bit sarcastic mom and daughter unfortunately have the wrong religion; should have been Muslims...!

A case like this seems odd and way out for us Danes, especially when it is so easy to get a permission to stay in Denmark, when you come from a Muslim country, claiming asylum. The story about Im and her mother reached quite a lot of reaction and comments in Danish media which sometimes may be that positive, that it create a political reaction. One thing is rules passport, nationality etc. for Im and her mother another thing is humanity; and that's where it make cases like this one so difficult for the average Dane to accept, when people with no connection or integration at all, because of rules can obtain permission to stay in Denmark, whilst a well integrated child cannot.

Apologies KhunPer - I was excited to finally get to quote a famous line from Shakespeare :) I should have included a link for reference, it was not meant to be sarcastic or critical about Denmark.

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/quickquotes/quickquotehamletdenmark.html

Don't be too hard on yourself, politicians and goverment workers worldwide make mistakes.

Yes, something is rotten in the State of Denmark to be a bit sarcastic mom and daughter unfortunately have the wrong religion; should have been Muslims...!

A case like this seems odd and way out for us Danes, especially when it is so easy to get a permission to stay in Denmark, when you come from a Muslim country, claiming asylum. The story about Im and her mother reached quite a lot of reaction and comments in Danish media which sometimes may be that positive, that it create a political reaction. One thing is rules passport, nationality etc. for Im and her mother another thing is humanity; and that's where it make cases like this one so difficult for the average Dane to accept, when people with no connection or integration at all, because of rules can obtain permission to stay in Denmark, whilst a well integrated child cannot.

Apologies KhunPer - I was excited to finally get to quote a famous line from Shakespeare smile.png I should have included a link for reference, it was not meant to be sarcastic or critical about Denmark.

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/quickquotes/quickquotehamletdenmark.html

Don't be too hard on yourself, politicians and goverment workers worldwide make mistakes.

Dear Todd,

Thanks, but I am fully aware it's a joke and a quote. biggrin.png

I can now see that a “–” between “Denmark” and “to” has jumped out (my fault), which may have changed the impression of my reply. Sorry for that, should of course read »...something is rotten in the State of Denmark – to be a bit sarcastic mom and...«

Many thanks for your reaction – completely my fault that my reply can be misunderstood. wai2.gif

• Like 2

Rigid laws and humanity in conflict with each other. Shades of grey !

Sad to read where some posters stand by reading this thread.

Assumptions about language ability are totally ridiculous.

Comparing thai and danish laws is utter nonsense.

My feelings are with the mother and child.

• Like 2

I see the claim from the mother, a woman who has lived her entire adult live, apart from 3 years outside of Thailand (presumption, but a reasonable one), has found Denmark as a country which possibly offers her more then Thailand can offer and is using her daughter as a bargaining pawn to stay there.

David, for the ease of reading I have removed the bulk of your response to reply to the above highlighted comment. As previously mentioned I suggest all Western countries have an immigration visa policy for spouses and dependants to support the migrant family if the sponsor has passed away, based upon the legal principal of "best interest of the child". It is speculation, but I would assume that whoever is assisting the mother & child's legal appeal process would have been advising the mother on this matter & in fact representing the child as is the case under Australian law; not your spin that the mother is using the child as a pawn.

I did a quick bit of research and it seems that Danish immigration policy until recently had one of the strictest in the EU and was being driven by a far right populist minority party. It is claimed Denmark now has a difficult to comprehend immigration law; an example Danish media comment below:

http://cphpost.dk/shameful-deportation-enforcement-aimed-children

• Like 1

Shame on Denmark for this treatment.

I bet if crown princess Mary's husband died she wouldn't be sent back to Tasmania with the kids.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apples and oranges mate..

For the record, Crown Princess Mary is a Danish citizen and no longer holds Australian citizenship - part of the deal to marry Fred - so no, she wouldn't be sent back to Tasmania.

But had she not taken it up and consequently married into the Danish Royal family but remained in Denmark, she too, would be subject to the same rules as everyone else should she have found her way to Denmark for other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am Danish and I fell sorry for the girl but she is not Danish so she is caught out in the system.

My kids are Thai/Danish and can easily get Danish Passports so they can go to DK as they please, no visa required.

I also don't believe the kid can't speak Thai if she stays with here mother, bullshit.

Only option for the mother/girl is for the mother to find a new Danish man asap and get married.

Yes the rules should be a bit more flexilbe.

In Denmark they have big problems with people from Albania and other places stealing anything they can get their hands on, now those bastards should be kicked out for good, but as EU citizens very hard to do.

Agree

The mother and the kid would 100% speak Thai to each other all the time when they are together.

The report stated the kid has been half the life in Denmark, which is only 3,5 years.

This means the kid already spoke Thai before.

The kid is NOT a Danish-Thai, but 100% Thai, and was brought along when the mother married a Danish citizen.

Of course, we all feel for the children who are caught between a rock and a hard place in these cases.

Very sad when these things happen.

• Like 2

If the child was a Danish citizen as the child of a Danish Father I fail to see how he could be deported. the mother could but she could claim she had a tie in Denmark (the child). If not a Danish citizen ( a stepchild) that changes it.

I wish you would be right on with this statement, but i'm afraid that you are wrong here.

I am Danish and I fell sorry for the girl but she is not Danish so she is caught out in the system.

My kids are Thai/Danish and can easily get Danish Passports so they can go to DK as they please, no visa required.

I also don't believe the kid can't speak Thai if she stays with here mother, bullshit.

Only option for the mother/girl is for the mother to find a new Danish man asap and get married.

In Denmark they have big problems with people from Albania and other places stealing anything they can get their hands on, now those bastards should be kicked out for good, but as EU citizens very hard to do.

Is there a point at which the mother and daughter would have been given indefinite right to remain or not? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? Or would this have happened inevitably when the bloke died? It cannot be right to allow children to be admitted to and then removed from a country on the back of an unexpected death? It isn't their fault.

Which of course causes a very bizarre contradiction. As cynical as this might be, what if the mother had killed the husband, and she would have been able to prove that the child has no one to take care of her in Thailand?

She would probably be allowed to stay in Denmark and be fostered and avail herself of the schooling and social system in Denmark. So essentially, the law may make it beneficial to commit a crime to get a better outcome than that which has happened through following the legal path.

Agree

The mother and the kid would 100% speak Thai to each other all the time when they are together.

The report stated the kid has been half the life in Denmark, which is only 3,5 years.

The kid is NOT a Danish-Thai, but 100% Thai, and was brought along when the mother married a Danish citizen.

Of course, we all feel for the children who are caught between a rock and a hard place in these cases.

You say this, but at 3 years old, how much Thai would a child speak anyway? Beyond that, doesn't Denmark encourage wives to take Danish language lessons? Potentially mother was speaking virtually no Thai with said child at all, and as such, Thai may have extremely limited or virtually zero Thai.

If the child was a Danish citizen as the child of a Danish Father I fail to see how he could be deported. the mother could but she could claim she had a tie in Denmark (the child). If not a Danish citizen ( a stepchild) that changes it.

I wish you would be right on with this statement, but i'm afraid that you are wrong here.

I believe harry is right here.

The kid as a Danish citizen can have her mother staying with her on humanitarian reasons.

Most western countries have that law.

But non of them is a citizen (or have no passport?0.

If not correct, please let us know what the correct one is in this case.

Agree

People, supposedly understanding, like you let these sad things continue to happen. This by making, irrelevant assumptions, about language abilities of a 7 year old. So the thai woman is apparantly lying according to you. You compare, agree, that they are the same as all the albanians in Denmark.

The letter of the law must be a guidance. Exceptions should always be possible. To suggest that she quickly must find another man to be able to stay in Denmark is really ......well, to sad to mention. All this written by u guys without knowing the woman's feelings towards her deceased husband.

We talk about 2 human beings here !!

• Like 1

Agree

People, supposedly understanding, like you let these sad things continue to happen. This by making, irrelevant assumptions, about language abilities of a 7 year old. So the thai woman is apparantly lying according to you. You compare, agree, that they are the same as all the albanians in Denmark.

The letter of the law must be a guidance. Exceptions should always be possible. To suggest that she quickly must find another man to be able to stay in Denmark is really ......well, to sad to mention. All this written by u guys without knowing the woman's feelings towards her deceased husband.

Sadly if my mrs in LOS popped off it would be, bugger off, sell your house, we don't care about the Thai kids you have been looking after, or marry someone else quick. sad.png

Agree

Sadly if my mrs in LOS popped off it would be, bugger off, sell your house, we don't care about the Thai kids you have been looking after, or marry someone else quick. sad.png

So, youre saying in fact; the visa/immigrationlaws in thailand should be applied universally. Quite sad na, what youre stating. You should know better. You really should !!

By remembering some of your comments on this forum, i expected better from you than the comments you have made on this topic. But..........

• Like 2

This is, pardon my french, a pile of self made assumptions that in no way what so ever can be supported by empirical fact. Contrary, I don't need to go outside my own family to declare two of your statements utter rubbish (I'm not disputing the duration of the child's stay in Denmark). Sorry, but that's just the way things are, whether you like it or not. Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

In that case your Thai partner dies, do you would like to continue to stay here or do you would be happy to be send home?

The Thai lady in Demark would like to stay in Denmark, i can understand why.

The reason why a case like Im Nielsen and her mum – and the other cases with Thais in Denmark, mentioned in this tread – reach heavy reaction in the Danish media is, that other criminal immigrants are tolerated due to “humanitarian reasons”.

It also seems like, the Danish law is not that clear, when it comes to the Courts. Of course David48 has a valid argument with Im’s mum »using her daughter as a bargaining pawn to stay there.« But that’s speculation – we do not know the facts, only that she was married to a Dane and brought her daughter from an earlier Thai relationship (marriage?) with her to Denmark, her late husband who died of cancer last year was the stepfather. However, the Danish Courts has in other cases granted permission to stay, due to humanitarian reasons, so this case has been appealed to a higher Court.

It is also correct, that Denmark a few years ago were an extremely tuff country to get into as immigrant – still is, even the rules have been eased last year. This is how it was: A Dane marrying a Thai has no right to bring his wife into his home country. First he has to prove that he can financially provide for a family, has a home of the right size, and then deposits a cash amount as guarantee for not using the Danish welfare system – any welfare costs will be deducted from the deposit. When his wife then is allowed to enter Denmark, she will need to attend Danish language course to be able to obtain a temporary permission to stay in the country. Only after seven years, she may be able to have a permanent resident permission, however she will need to pass an examination first, including language test and knowledge to culture and history, plus earning points from work, social work, education etc. Being only about three and a half year in Denmark (some comments in Danish media mentioned six years and ten month for mum Suthida, so missing only two month in reaching the seven years), such a permanent permission cannot be granted. The only possibility may be “of humanitarian reasons”, and that is quite difficult to obtain, when you are not seeking asylum or not coming from a war-zone.

Please let me tell, a little about what kind of debate is going on in Denmark, at the moment. A lot of Muslim immigrants are coming to the country – in the eyes of the Danish population due to financial reasons rather than refugees – and from some areas like Somalia and Syria, it is very easy to get into Denmark. Many Danes are feed up with that, especially as the Muslim immigrants seeking asylum, can use the welfare system from day one and seems to costs the society a lot of money (the Danish government will not provide figures, but the Norwegians calculates some four millions kroner (ca. 650,000 US$) for each immigrant. Also from some of the new European Union members, some East European countries come a number of people for economical welfare reasons.

A relative high number of the immigrants are criminals, compared to the ethnic part of the Danish population. Some of those criminals are not expelled “due to humanitarian reasons”; like speak Danish and cannot speak the language of their original homeland, even they are still citizens (holds their homelands passport). Denmark does not accept dual citizenship (this old Law is under consideration and will be debated in the parliament next year, 2014).

In the debate of the case with Im Nielsen (her stepfather’s Danish family name) and her mother, the arguments has been; that Denmark can allow a young Somalia man (boy) to stay in the country for “humanitarian reasons”, even he rapes a 10 year old minor girl, tried to rape another 10 year old girl, but failed, succeeded in raping a 27 year old woman; for which he was sentenced six year in (Danish) prison, but may be out again after three or four years. And that is just one of several cases, were foreign criminals are allowed to stay in Denmark for “humanitarian reasons”.

In general the Danes says that the Thais integrate very well; often pick up the Danish language quite fast (Im and mum may speak Danish together and not Thai); normally quickly get a job; are polite and smiling. On the other hand, the Danish press daily refers about Muslims; bad integration; crime; violence, both domestic (family honour) and gangs controlling hole part of cities; ghettos, non working families draining the money of the public welfare system – if you (can) read the Danish forums, you will see how feed up the Danes really are with (Muslim) immigrants – but they can stay here due to “humanitarian reasons”, even still holding their homeland passport.

That is why a case like Im and Suthida Nielsen reach the Danish media, and no matter the Law, seems so unfair for many Danes.

I believe harry is right here.

The kid as a Danish citizen can have her mother staying with her on humanitarian reasons.

Most western countries have that law.

But non of them is a citizen (or have no passport?0.

If not correct, please let us know what the correct one is in this case.

I cant say whats correct or not, but her Visa is most likely issued based on their Marriage.

Even if the child was born in Denmark, her visa would still had been issued based on their marriage and such revoked.

Now if the kid was Danish, she could properly apply for a new visa based on having a kid there, and then hope they would grant it. But i dont think there is anything like an automatic humanitary issued visa, especially not in Denmark.