Dozens Injured As Coach Overturns In Pathum Thani

Lite Beer

The problem is not only using seat belts, There is a BIG problem of the height of buses. They are top heavy and overturn very easy.

Oh well at least it wasn't a blown tire problem

Agree,and some of these are these newer style double decker buses that are way too tall for their width. These are just begging to tip over. The height to width ratio just looks wrong and are an accident waiting to happen.

That was reported recently that these buses do even break Thai law.. The correct chassis would need to be imported from Japan but a cut job in Thailand is if course a much better idea.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is not only using seat belts, There is a BIG problem of the height of buses. They are top heavy and overturn very easy.

Agree,and some of these are these newer style double decker buses that are way too tall for their width. These are just begging to tip over. The height to width ratio just looks wrong and are an accident waiting to happen.

Modern trucks and buses have ESP (electronic stability program). ESP comprises two main functions: DSP (dynamic stability program) and ROP (rollover prevention).

The input from the vehicle is continue checked on the following points.

• Steering angle

• Lateral acceleration

• Yawing rate (sped of rotation of the vehicle about its vertical axis)

This all is compared with the driving speed and if needed corrected with brakes(ABS), steering angle(SAS) and suspension(SCS).

Safety belts are a great way to protect the passengers, but the construction of the buss need to be adapted to it. In a not adapted bus safety belts can harm the passengers more then have them not. Think and flying hard objects as chairs, floor parts and bald rollers.

With ROP it's common that the buss will have at least 3 roll bars to keep the bus structure stable by a roll over.

All this systems help the driver to maintain safety.

Traveled with Nakhon Chai Air last week (great service ..) .. BKK to Surin .. wore seat beat all the way ..these days madness not to ... just hard braking could throw you out of your seat not to mention anything more serious .. and not just in Thai ...

Best coach I ever traveled on was in Estonia (daily scheduled service ..) - TV screen built into the back on every seat, wi-fi (never dropped out ..), plug-in for your device, toilet and free coffee .. and of course seat belts .. and if you are over 60 you get a discount ...

Still shocked over the Laos plane crash and the earthquake in Bohol/Cebu in the Philippines ... both places there earlier in the year ..

Travelled by coach in Turkey recently and many of the coaches there had the TV screens, wifi and seatbelts. Yep, this is the 21st century ... although it feels like 1975 in Thailand.

Aranyaprathet to Bangkok many years ago the bus was full and they sat people including foreign backpackers in plastic chairs in the aisle.

Money number one before anything else and that is the reason so many people die on Thai roads.

I also recall 3-4 plastic chairs being put out in the aisle of an overcrowded first class public bus between Chiang Mai and Udon Thani about 15 years ago. Crazy! Anyway, I hope that kind of idiotic action is now a thing of the past ... but I doubt it.

• Like 1

FWIW, I've taken a lot of bus trips on Nakhon Chai Air in the past few years, and as best as I recall, every NCA bus I've ever been on had working seatbelts -- not that a lot of the mostly Thai passengers ever used them.

And, I've never encountered a "manaic driving" NCA driver, so I suspect there's a reason you rarely if ever see a NCA bus involved in one of these "accidents" or crashes.

That said, the Thai roadways are simply not safe... And even the safest bus and bus driver can be done in by the drunken or careless or stupid idiot driver in the other vehicle.

These days, I try to stay away from any motorcycles, vans, buses or trains, if at all possible. It's just too dangerous out there. xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Traveled with Nakhon Chai Air last week (great service ..) .. BKK to Surin .. wore seat beat all the way ..these days madness not to ... just hard braking could throw you out of your seat not to mention anything more serious .. and not just in Thai ...

Best coach I ever traveled on was in Estonia (daily scheduled service ..) - TV screen built into the back on every seat, wi-fi (never dropped out ..), plug-in for your device, toilet and free coffee .. and of course seat belts .. and if you are over 60 you get a discount ...

Still shocked over the Laos plane crash and the earthquake in Bohol/Cebu in the Philippines ... both places there earlier in the year ..

Travelled by coach in Turkey recently and many of the coaches there had the TV screens, wifi and seatbelts. Yep, this is the 21st century ... although it feels like 1975 in Thailand.

You won't get any of those extras on intercity buses in New Zealand. They don't even have toilets. Intercity buses in Thailand are far superior to those in NZ.

Aranyaprathet to Bangkok many years ago the bus was full and they sat people including foreign backpackers in plastic chairs in the aisle.

Money number one before anything else and that is the reason so many people die on Thai roads.

they still do that on buses between nongkai and bkk...plastic stools right down the middle.

they still do that on buses between nongkai and bkk...plastic stools right down the middle.

Do the stools have seat belts?

Do the stools have seat belts?

no...they get crash helmetsgiggle.gif

• Like 1

The most dangerous roads in the world. It must be time for govts across the world to advise people of this fact, before they come here on holiday etc. The worst drivers on the worst laid out roads. Where I live, on the three lane carriageway, you have to slow down in the fast lane to turn right/u-turn.That can be dangerous when you have somebody driving a inch away from your rear bumper! In the Uk we always filter off on the left on the motorways. Also when you u-turn, you have to pull across all three lanes, which again can be perilous, especially if somebody from the other direction is u-turning and u can't see jack sh*t!! I hate even driving from Chaam to Hua Hin now and it's a straight road! Just the other day, some bright spark decided he would park in the middle lane of the three lane carriageway so he could go to the market. Laziness personified!!

And yet Thailand does not make even the top ten of the worlds most dangerous countries to drive in.

As a long term vistor to Thailand and a person who usually cannot wait to return. I am getting highly concerned with the high carnage on the roads and deaths at resorts. (quite often foreigners bring it on themselves not wearing helmets on motorbikes etc).

One must weigh up the risks travelling by motorbike, bus and on boats without safety gear!

It is about time the government enforced safety first, driver education and better testing processes and without exception everyone on a motorbike must wear a approved helmet. If not escalating fines and or impoundment of the bike.

The world is talking about the high death rate on the roads in Thailand it's time for us all to act and reduce the risks.

I agree with reference to the crash helmets, but it would also be a good thing if all cops wore them instead of baseball caps, as I see often in Pattaya, it would be setting a good example, also those few cops who do wear them please fasten them, they are useless if you do not!

encountered a truck which drifted suddenly into its lane

Driving here, I would lose control & sanity if a Bangkok truck didn't drift into my lane.

it did already, in the darkest of a dark night, a truck without lights with the driver asleep behind the wheel.

It went into my path straight on, determined to cut me into pieces.

Up to now, I just cannot believe I got out of this incident alive and shaking !!!!!!

Modern trucks and buses have ESP (electronic stability program). ESP comprises two main functions: DSP (dynamic stability program) and ROP (rollover prevention).

The input from the vehicle is continue checked on the following points.

Steering angle

Lateral acceleration

Yawing rate (sped of rotation of the vehicle about its vertical axis)

This all is compared with the driving speed and if needed corrected with brakes(ABS), steering angle(SAS) and suspension(SCS).

Safety belts are a great way to protect the passengers, but the construction of the buss need to be adapted to it. In a not adapted bus safety belts can harm the passengers more then have them not. Think and flying hard objects as chairs, floor parts and bald rollers.

With ROP it's common that the buss will have at least 3 roll bars to keep the bus structure stable by a roll over.

All this systems help the driver to maintain safety.

Thanks for the informative post. Engineering of the buses, in concert with public eduction, Ministry of Transportation action and police enforcement will help reduce these accidents.

Unfortunately, In these areas, the track record in the LOS is weak and that is putting it in kind terms.

Edited by Benmart

Mr Chatchart, please show the nation video evidence, that seat belts save lives.

Are you questioning the fact that seatbelts save lives? If you are you are a dinosaur passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gipassifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gipassifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

"Am i questioning the fact that seatbelts save lives??" You've been reading too many negative comments from members on TV. I'm saying, 'please show the nation video evidence', (like the video i posted), that seat belts DO save lives. So buckle up!

• Like 1

If the Bus is going at 100kph a passenger will hit the back of the seat in front at 100kph ???? I think a little more thought should have gone into that statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!clap2.gif

It is a correct statement, if you are unrestrained in or on a vehicle moving at 100kph and the vehicle is abruptly stopped, in the situation that it hits something solid for example, you will continue to move at 100kph until something stops you like, perhaps, the back of the seat in front of you or maybe the windscreen.

• Like 1

So what if they're not safe. God dam_n you people like complaining and bitching about everything.

A bit offtopic:

I come from kinda rough place. My Canadian friend told me how every pool at condominium buildings should have a lifeguard. I thought he was kidding of course, then he said that it's a normal thing in Canada.

This answered my question on why the western world is so pussyfied. Lifeguard at the swimming pool. I never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

Here's a message to you people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVVT3KOLAI

Go home if you don't like it?

You are only guests here?

Here is a message to you: blah blah blah blah!

As much as I think, the example of the lifeguards is over the top and as much as I admire Carlin: you are aware, that there actually are laws in Thailand, too...aren't you?!

If they just would be ENFORCED, hardly anyone could or would complain!

I asked it before: why does the "beauty" and "culture" in this country, should get me killed?

It is not "takin' a chance"- it is pure and simple neglect!

Another bus crash! Thankfully no one was killed, I wonder how many of the injured passengers were not wearing seatbelts aside from the unfortunate passenger who was thrown out of the bus? It would also be nice to know how many of the seatbelts that were fitted on the bus were actually in working order? Last time I caught an inter-provincial bus I checked to see if there was a seatbelt, there was but the buckle was bent and the latch was broken. I hope all the injured make a full recovery.

The buckle was bent?! How the heck do you bend a seatbelt buckle without removing it and using means beyond what could be accomplished with human hands? There must have been a frigging gorilla occupying your seat before you! Broken latch is possible but most of the time the problem is that people try to insert the tab with the buckle still flexed and the catch does not lock into place- or on some belts the tab will not lock if it is upside down.

Another bus crash! Thankfully no one was killed, I wonder how many of the injured passengers were not wearing seatbelts aside from the unfortunate passenger who was thrown out of the bus? It would also be nice to know how many of the seatbelts that were fitted on the bus were actually in working order? Last time I caught an inter-provincial bus I checked to see if there was a seatbelt, there was but the buckle was bent and the latch was broken. I hope all the injured make a full recovery.

The buckle was bent?! How the heck do you bend a seatbelt buckle without removing it and using means beyond what could be accomplished with human hands? There must have been a frigging gorilla occupying your seat before you! Broken latch is possible but most of the time the problem is that people try to insert the tab with the buckle still flexed and the catch does not lock into place- or on some belts the tab will not lock if it is upside down.

The slot where the buckle is inserted into the latch was mangled.

will it ever stop with these stories about buses, which are not safe? Who wants to go by bus anymore? If I've to go from CM to BKK I'll go by my car only, because Train is not safe, bus is not safe. If I drive my own car I KNOW it's well serviced, I'm not drunk or drugged.....but the others might be. That's the risk in Thailand!!! It's THAINESS !!!

No seatbelts, or broken seatbelts. This is normal in Thailand's buses. A life is worth nothing here. Remember, putting on a seat belt means , you do not trust on the Thai people and the Thai Way ! So forget about seat belts !

cheesy.gif "Remember, putting on a seat belt means , you do not trust on the Thai people and the Thai Way !"cheesy.gif Nope it means that I trust that the laws of physics work in Thailand. FYI I am not speaking of physics as in laxatives.shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png I am referring to Newton's laws of inertia and acceleration. FYI there are vehicular accidents outside of Thailand and people in other parts of the world use safety belts to increase their chances of escaping injuries in such incidents.w00t.gif

• Like 1

You won't get any of those extras on intercity buses in New Zealand. They don't even have toilets. Intercity buses in Thailand are far superior to those in NZ.

Did you check the link on page 1 to the UK news story ?

The assertion was many buses are manufactured in back street garages, shiny they may be, safe is debatable....