Explosion at firework store

naboo

Saraphi, Friday 18th, midday.

21047.jpg

21046.jpg

In typical Thai style, there are some nasty photos of burnt bodies around, so don't go searching if you're squeamish. 3 men, 1 woman and a child suffered serious burns. Not sure if these were just injuries or deaths.

Loi Kratong, be safe all.

My sources inform me that 2 men (names withheld for legal reasons) a 75 year old and his 20 year old nephew were killed in the explosion.

The pair was making loy krathong.balloons with firework attachments in their small workshop in which they also sold and stored gasoline.

Next-door is a small motorbike repair shop. During the time a mechanic was doing some welding on a motorbike frame using a welding gun when some sparks carried over to the next-door workshop, igniting the fireworks which had a chain reaction and ignited some drums containing gasoline. The men did not have permission from the authorities and held no license to make fireworks or sell and store gasoline on the premises. According to my sources the place was a disaster waiting to happen.

Presently the police and fire department are still investigating and it has been substantiated that there are no suspicious circumstances involved, just a terrible tragic accident that killed 2 men and seriously injured several other people. One 12-year-old girl is still in hospital suffering from second-degree burns and may lose the sight in one eye.

No need for any speculations, or criticisms, only to offer condolences to everyone involved.