TOT internet very slow these days?

Guderian

For the last few weeks TOT's service has sometimes been really slow. At the moment I'm downloading from 6 separate sites and the fastest speed I'm getting is 20 KB/s. And that's from a nominally 7 Mbps service. Most of the sites are delivering 10-15KB/s, and they are all commercial sites that usually have no problem downloading at 150-200 KB/s. Yesterday it wasn't bad, but the day before and today it's hopeless. Is anybody else having these problems, or is it just my connection?

Nope, same here.

My 3BB line works like a charm, but TOT scuks wink.png

Only on some days recently. I've had TOT for 2 years and it's mostly been a good service and quite reliable. It's just the last week or two on some days it sucks.

Most evenings (since the last couple of weeks) I even can't watch the BBC via TOT, I have to switch to my 3BB line.

However the Windows 8.1 update (3.8GB) was downloaded via TOT (last Thursday) in about 1 hour but that was at 11:30 pm.

My girlfriends internet is completely off, think it's due to the weather.

I am on the darkside & the same with TOT over here. It's been like that for a few weeks, I thought maybe the rain may have had some effect on things.

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad it's not just me.

How does the weather affect an ADSL line?

Most evenings (since the last couple of weeks) I even can't watch the BBC via TOT, I have to switch to my 3BB line.

However the Windows 8.1 update (3.8GB) was downloaded via TOT (last Thursday) in about 1 hour but that was at 11:30 pm.

Yesterday I downloaded a 3 GB Thai movie with no problem, along with other stuff. Today trying to download a 300 MB episode of a TV series has taken 4 hours so far and it's still not complete.

I just did a TOT speed test, download 4.37mbps & upload 42mbps

I have no idea what this really means or if it is good or bad.

Can some learned person enlighten me please.

I had to do a speed test last week to get a certain company to believe my internet connection was good enough. I got 12.1 the 1st time and 8.4 the 2nd time. They were telling me you needed over 3Mb for their service.

I live on a island so to be getting 4.3 in Pattaya doesnt sound good.

Nope, same here.

My 3BB line works like a charm, but TOT scuks wink.png

I think it depends on where you live. In our village, almost every house that switched to 3BB has switched back to ToT. It ain't great, but 3BB (I guess) was pretty bad.

I am living near Pattaya Klang, and 3BB (for now that is) seems better, my friend lives on the Dark Side (SSCC) and he is also very happy with his 3BB.

But I know that it can vary (day by day or week by week) so that's why I have 2 lines installed and just switch when one is playing up.

I'm currently downloading at around 600 KB/s, or close on 5 Mbps, which for a nominal 7 Mbps connection on a Sunday afternoon when lots of people are file sharing or playing online games is none too bad.

Edited by Guderian

I just did a TOT speed test, download 4.37mbps & upload 42mbps

I have no idea what this really means or if it is good or bad.

Can some learned person enlighten me please.

I guess you mean 4,37 MBit/s download and 0,42 MBit/s upload?

The download rate is not great, but still usable (assuming you have 7 Mbit/s nominal?).

4,37 MBit/s is about 540 kByte/s. 1 GB (movie/TV download) would need about 30 minutes.

If you have that download rate on an international connection you are on the lucky side.

BTW: youtube and other Google services are not international connections but have mirror servers in the region.

This is why they seldom fail to deliver.

Rumour says that international connections (in particular streams) are throttled depending on day of week/time of day.

Makes sense, as the undersea cable connections to Thailand are not excessively strong (like 3 TB (terrabit)).

I'm with TOT and am in Pattaya Darkside. Am paying 550Bt per month for Up to 10Mb/512Kb package.

Have just ran some tests, here's the results. What do you think?

Thailand server

Down: 8.71Mb

Up: 0.53mbps

UK server

Down: 8.72Mb

Up: 0.36mbps

USA server

Down: 6.66Mb

Up: 0.43mbps

The values for Thailand and UK are good and definetely no reason to complain.

Download rate for USA is a bit on the edge, but even in a western country you wouldn't come far with a complaint.

All rates are satisfying the need of most private users, like HD streaming on youtube.

How did you measure? Just asking because Thai ISPs distribute/produce fake test(results) very often.

Silly things are displayed like ping times to Europe of 20 ms (a ridicule of Einstein biggrin.png ).

HD stream? Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoNITE-CLc

Switch to 1080p, fullscreen and turn on the volume

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

KhunBENK, I used adslthailand.com

The values for Thailand and UK are good and definetely no reason to complain.

Download rate for USA is a bit on the edge, but even in a western country you wouldn't come far with a complaint.

All rates are satisfying the need of most private users, like HD streaming on youtube.

How did you measure? Just asking because Thai ISPs distribute/produce fake test(results) very often.

Silly things are displayed like ping times to Europe of 20 ms (a ridicule of Einstein biggrin.png ).

HD stream? Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoNITE-CLc

Switch to 1080p, fullscreen and turn on the volume

KhunBENK, I used adslthailand.com

I tested my connection with that:

http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/

The results are plausible (ping times and download/upload rates) and consistent with other testresults (273 ms to USA, 5.3 Mbit/s, 0,4 Mbit/s).

Results are even a bit below my usual experience from daily downloads and from other tests (server in Germany).

(I have a simple ToT 7 Mbit, which delivers about 5.5 Mbit/s max. download rate).

So looks like adslthailand.com is not a fake.

As other tests: repeat it multiple times and you will see a significant variation.