Which is more Hi-So ? Wong Amat or Phratumnak ?

thairookie

I took a 10 baht bus that other day and stopped at the entrance of Soi 16/1 Naklua. I have been told by some friends that Wong Amat is a Hi-So enclave, and properties located at Wong Amat are top drawer.

I looked around at the Na Klua and saw nothing special. I decided to venture in Soi 16/1. I arrived at the entrance of a skyscraper after a 10-minute walk. The building didn't look new to me, so it must have been around for quite a while.

I was promised a spectacular sea view, but before I could experience the horizon of Pattaya sea, I was greeted by a pool of algae. The "bandai" at the edge of the pool reminded me that it was not a fishing pond but an authentic swimming pool. I didn't smell anything hi-so.

I was up looking from some 22nd story. The view was indeed spectacular, but the materials used were tamada at best. The doors, especially, reminds me of those 2000 baht per month apartments in Bangkok.

So what makes Wong Amat hi-so ?blink.png

Who in their right mind would want to move so far from central pattaya? Jomtien, maybe, cos it is at least somewhat civilized. But there is no excuse to live Naklua.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I live in Naklua, have so for coming up on 2 years - right on Wong Amat beach - and what you describe is not even minimally related to my experience.

We live in a very nice 1 bedroom condo, in a building which is very well managed, maintained, and cleaned. There are a dozen restaurants with a range of cuisines, several convenince markets, and other services within 500 meters of our building. Transport is easy - taxis and motos wait directly across the street, and a 15 minute walk brings us to the Pattaya-Naklua Road, where baht buses are frequent.

I would be very curious to know the name of the place you visited.

Hi-so? I don't have a clue what you seek or want, but if it is "status," then perhaps you should be looking elsewhere.

• Like 1

Hi-So and Pattaya (let's be honest, Jomtien and Naklua are Pattaya) do not go together - it's the dregs of civilization but still good fun

I can assure you sir ,that i live in Pattaya as do many of our friends and none of us are "the dregs of civilization" then perhaps where you live you know about and maybe live among those sorts of people .

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1

I live in Pratumnak in a great condominium which has a majority of nice foreign residents. Very much doubt that there are any criminals amongst them . There is a sea view on both sides of the building however over the last couple of years the construction around us has been endless hence increased traffic problems etc.

• Like 1

i wouldn't buy in nakula for two reasons only for now:

the beach water may be the dirtiest in the area

bad experience at night on the beach (but this might be anywhere)

i am sure there are more reasons

but location and getting around better than pratamnock and jomtien

Pratumnak hill is a place for hi-so Russians that want to buy "exclusive" 1 room condos.

I would avoid it completely and instead try to find a place near beach rd in one of the quiter sois,

if you can find one without construction work, and barking dogs, lucky you .

Edited by balo

Pratumnak is more Hi- Soish. And forum user Tropo has mentioned several times he resides there, so it cant be all bad.. and baht buses are easy to find there, if you ever wish to visit lower parts of town

Is Pratumnak those 3 tall condos that you can see from Pattaya, just above the big Pattaya sign? Could you snatch a unit in one of those maybe, those look nice!

:)

Hi-So generally don't travel by Baht bus

If I moved to Pratumnak, I would show locals how REAL Hi So is done,

I'd walk out of my sea view condo every morning, dressed only in a white bathrobe, and white fluffy slippers, cigar in one hand, and if its Sunday, NYTimes in other. And if mood strikes, I'd jump on baht bus, stand at the very end on those pipes, my white Ferragamo bathrobe flowing in wind, I would almost look like that chick on the hood of Rolls Royce.

You can't deny that is very, very Hi So!

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 2