Some foreigners need to have some pride in their appearance when being at Chiang Mai Immigration.

khunjerrybkk

Whenever i go to immigration ( here in Hua Hin) i always wear long trousers, shirt and tie. I am normally called over to a desk, way before my ticket number is due, and i'm out of there within a few minutes. Whereas the Chang, t-shirted, shorts wearing ones sit there for ages. It pays to look smart methinks.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The replies to this topic forced me to recall that when I am at the immigration office it seems that expats from a certain English speaking country (that I will not need to name here) often come in with a bad attitude as well as deplorable attire.

Some actually argue with the officers in charge about rules and regulations that the officers have no influence over.

This just increases the waiting time for others and puts the officer in a poor mood for the next fellow in line!

The y are arrogant and act if as if they are superior to Thais and other expats as well!

After all ,they did actually attempt to ( and failed ) to colonize most of the world at one point in history.

They think they are doing all of us a favor by coming here and setting such a high example for us all to learn from.

And yes, most of them dress like.......we are lucky they bothered to put any clothes on at all!

I'm sure we are!

If I may try to answer your points as a British citizen.

1. Some officers make up their own rules, and change them every day, this is not cricket.

2. Who cares about the next in line, next time get here earlier!

3. Don't know about Thais in general, but most of us are superior to minor corrupt officials in any country.

4. Britain did manage to colonize more of the world than any other nation in recorded history. We didn't get the lot, but we did better than your country.

5. We are all doing Thailand a favour by spending our money here, why would anyone think differently?

6. I may dress badly today, but you are fat and bald you will still be fat and bald tomorrow.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

A wee word to the OP

Coco Chanel said

Don't waste time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.

Whereas Johnny Wilkinson recently said

For me now, I will continue to focus ever harder on my goal of being the very best I can be with Toulon Rugby Club and continue to embrace and enjoy wherever that path takes me

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

if you beat on a wall hard enough, it WILL become a door. Quite rough around the edges probably, but a door to get into the other side nonetheless.

How is this relevant? (not criticizing you, asking myself)

My 1st quote was by Coco Chanel, so obviously was related to fashion (and what people wear) - somewhat relevant methinks

My 2nd quote was a vain attempt to hijack the thread towards the Heineken Cup - Toulon being the current holders. Totally failed!

Has relevance ever been relevant on TV however?

An interesting question, Commander.

Despite a wealth of talent and a salary bill that would make Thaksin's eyes water, Toulon were still unable to overcome Cardiff Blues.  A timely reminder that money is not everything.  As the Thai Captain said, when interviewed following their Division Two triumph over Malaysia in 2012, their victory was down to the strength of their convictions and "heart".  

As others have said in this very thread - a sharp suit is no substitute for a correct form.

I am interested by one post on this page though, where apparently a young man needed a suit for collage in Korea.  That seems to be taking arts and crafts a bit too seriously, in my book

SC

The late,some say great, Andy Warhol was rarely seen not wearing a suit - admittedly they looked as if they had just come out of a back pack!

Whenever i go to immigration ( here in Hua Hin) i always wear long trousers, shirt and tie. I am normally called over to a desk, way before my ticket number is due, and i'm out of there within a few minutes. Whereas the Chang, t-shirted, shorts wearing ones sit there for ages.  It pays to look smart methinks.

Have you ever considered that you being able to jump the queue may have something to do with the horns, the red skin and the forked tail?

• Like 1

Whenever i go to immigration ( here in Hua Hin) i always wear long trousers, shirt and tie. I am normally called over to a desk, way before my ticket number is due, and i'm out of there within a few minutes. Whereas the Chang, t-shirted, shorts wearing ones sit there for ages. It pays to look smart methinks.

Have you ever considered that you being able to jump the queue may have something to do with the horns, the red skin and the forked tail?

Nah, it's the thousand baht note sticking out of his shirt pocket.

So lots of posts ranting about how it is their right to wear anything they want to immigration and how dare anyone criticize them for looking like bums.....is this part of the same bunch that walks around Bangkok with NO SHIRT on....gee are they lost, looking for the beach, showing off their beer gut, never been to a city before?  And then there are the women that parade around topless on some Thai beaches with big nipple rings and boobs hanging to their knees to the absolute shock of local thais and their kids?  So where exactly do you draw the line as to what is acceptable and what is not?  One day it's a guy in immigration with dirty torn clothes...the next it is a guy showing up with no shirt...the next day it's no shirt, no shoes...the next is torn pants with his rear end poking out.  In most countries of the world there are certain unwritten rules of acceptable attire and behavior.  Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of falangs living in Thailand who have zero respect for local cultural taboos....I would also bet that many of these same people are the ones who are constantly on Thai Visa bashing Thai people and their behavior because it doesn't meet their high standards of what is acceptable.

Hey! Jai Yen Yen - as Andy Warhol used to say.

Was at the Burmese Embassy visa section today and a lot of the Farang and other tourist there looked like down and outs. If you're going somewhere to apply for a visa to enter their country then surely you make an effort?!? Apparently not in a lot of cases. If I was on the visa desk i'd have turned them away for being tramps.

Reminds me of the first time I entered Singapore by bus in 1978 when I was 23 years old. A couple of backpackers on the bus chided me for wearing pressed slacks and a shirt with buttons and a collar. Maybe they asked me if I was a Mormon (I'm not), I forget the details. I just smiled as I sailed through Singapore immigration and they stood there answering multiple questions. I have continued my whole adult life to cross borders neatly dressed. That said, sometimes I go to CM Immigration on my bike, in spandex and bike jersey. Many times I have worn shorts. It doesn't seem to make any difference to them. And I agree with the comment that I don't represent anyone but myself. I don't dress neatly crossing borders because of "white guy pride"; I do it out of self-interest, to avoid hassles.

Well our rice harvesting commenced this very day, the Kuboto harvester has got to work as I watched clad in my flowery patterned shorts a T. shirt and Jesus boots (flip flops).

Tomorrow when the process starts again I shall array myself in my pinstripe suit and my bowler hat and highly polished shoes and carry my neatly furled umbrella (as one does in Isaan you know) and sing that delightful ditty of dear departed Noel Cowards "'Mad Dogs and Englishmen Go Out in The Midday Sun'' whilst observing the days proceeding. This will no doubt provide an amazing amount of mirth and merriment to the rest of the village onlookers

These actions and mode of dress will no doubt convince both the missus and the kids and the rest of the villagers that the farang has truly lost his marbles.

A white van will then no doubt appear driven by Napoleon the 3rd singing They're Coming to Take me Away Ha Ha as I am hustled inside with my jacket on back to front.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Clothes do not make a person.

Nearly all my clothes are either torn or have paint on them. Or both.

Got a dark blue hibiscus pattern shirt and clean pair of trousers for the airport only.

• Like 1

I like that sign someone posted about three posts above. HIPPIES!

These days, when it's time to do the 90 report, I follow the excellent advice on here (a TV exclusive!) and go to CM Imm. in the afternoon.

Started ignoring the expert advice and go in the late afternoon now, after a leisurely lunch. In and out in 5 minutes. Barely enough time to fill out the form.

The replies to this topic forced me to recall that when I am at the immigration office it seems that expats from a certain English speaking country (that I will not need to name here) often come in with a bad attitude as well as deplorable attire.

Some actually argue with the officers in charge about rules and regulations that the officers have no influence over.

This just increases the waiting time for others and puts the officer in a poor mood for the next fellow in line!

The y are arrogant and act if as if they are superior to Thais and other expats as well!

After all ,they did actually attempt to ( and failed ) to colonize most of the world at one point in history.

They think they are doing all of us a favor by coming here and setting such a high example for us all to learn from.

And yes, most of them dress like.......we are lucky they bothered to put any clothes on at all!

I'm sure we are!

1. Some officers make up their own rules, and change them every day, this is not cricket.

3. Don't know about Thais in general, but most of us are superior to minor corrupt officials in any country.

4. Britain did manage to colonize more of the world than any other nation in recorded history. We didn't get the lot, but we did better than your country.

5. We are all doing Thailand a favour by spending our money here, why would anyone think differently?

6. I may dress badly today, but you are fat and bald you will still be fat and bald tomorrow.

Exactly the kind of reply I would expect from one like you!

1, You are in their country..follow their rules.

2. You only care about yourself.

3. Yes, you are he best...keep believing that!

4, It sounds like you think slaughtering and exploiting others is something to be proud of!

5, Why think differently? To many ,things like culture, spirit, respect, compassion, and appearance are worth much more than the ever

dwindling pound

6, I dress well and am not fat or bald..6 ft 3 Inches tall and a full head of hair. I keep my hair trimmed and combed too!

Silly Americans!

Thanks for proving my point FiftyTwo!

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

I'm sure we are!

Exactly the kind of reply I would expect from one like you!

1, You are in their country..follow their rules.

2. you only care about yourself.

3. Yes, you are he best...keep believing that!

4, It sounds like you think slaughtering and exploiting others is something to be proud of!

5, Why think differently? To many things like culture, spirit, respect, compassion, and appearance are worth much more than the ever

dwindling pound

6, I dress well and am not fat or bald..6 ft 3 Inches tall and a full head of hair.

Thanks for proving my point FiftyTwo!

Yes, I agree, I proved you a humourless elderly gentleman.

• Like 1

I was going to make a comment, but then thought; common sense would just be wasted on TV.

Not wasted. It results in a flurry of wannabe politically correct replies. Some are so long way off the mark they are actually quite entertaining. So throw the fish a bait and see what you catch. Might be an English teacher in polyester suit, always good for a laugh.

So your reason for looking smart is to serve your own advantage, not because you feel you need to?

This is logical,

Please..... have some pride in your actions, clothing appearance & personal hygiene to understand that YOU are representing ALL foreigners to the Thai people when you are in country

Says who? I represent no one bar myself nor do I require anyone to represent me.

Daft post.

Not just in C.M. but in BKK as well. they arrive in tank tops, flip flops, and stink to high heaven and expect the Thai civil servant tol treat them normally? those kind of foreigners usually get sent back for more paper work just to get them out of the office! if you have no respect for yourself do not expect anyone else to have respect for you.I usually lok them in the eya and express my personal disgust at thier appearance with my actions. doesn't work! once a pig always a pig!

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Thai woman/girl in the British embassy the other day in her denim hot pants, and red stilettos.

This isn't a one way street.

Photos please. You cannot make statements like that without photos to back it up! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quote:

"Why do so many foreigners present themselves at immigration looking like they just fell out of a trash can? "

Since when is it mandatory to dress up to go to the immigration office or anywhere else for that matter ?

We have enough rules and regulations regarding do's and don'ts already.

You should ask yourself following question: why are people being judged on their appearance ?

Seen more scumbags in nice suits then in casual (even run down) clothing.

• Like 2

Quote:

"Why do so many foreigners present themselves at immigration looking like they just fell out of a trash can? "

Since when is it mandatory to dress up to go to the immigration office or anywhere else for that matter ?

We have enough rules and regulations regarding do's and don'ts already.

You should ask yourself following question: why are people being judged on their appearance ?

Seen more scumbags in nice suits then in casual (even run down) clothing.

there are lots of things that I could ask myself why about but that wont change the fact that those things actually happen. if you want to give someone in authority some reason to lose respect for you and perhaps make your life a bit more uncomfortable, go for it.

• Like 1

Yeah, we have all seen those overdressed farang at immigration. Wai'ing everything that moves, including the soidogs whilst they are holding their teamoney in their small sweaty hands!whistling.gif

We with a little more relaxed dresscode, are often wondering why some people dress like English ganglanders before a courthearing, an illfitting suit in a tropical climate??

But because we are more tolerant than the "ganglanders", we don't start threads here about other peoples choices. We just live and let live. You should try it, makes life easier!thumbsup.gif

BTW. When I go to any government office, I represent myself and only myself!

I suspect that the overdressed farangs at immigration in suits and ties who Wai everything that moves, ( and i'm sure we have all seen them), are over compensating because they have a guilty conscience. Probably have a dodgy visa and are sweating in case they get caught! Just my theory.