Some foreigners need to have some pride in their appearance when being at Chiang Mai Immigration.

khunjerrybkk

Two foreigners on the way to the consulate:

HuaHin010_zps1286e8d6.jpg

That new walkway is so bad. It's just been made and already they are leaving the covers off the manhol

I was just going to take a bite out of a nice sandwich but that goblin on the right just took away all the appetite i had.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont see the point of discussion.

if someone wants to go to immigration dressed like a hobo it just makes my time there that much easier.

so what exactly is the issue?

So WHERE do you draw the line? Is it ok if someone walks around in public with his JUNK partially hanging out of a hole in his pants? Is it ok to walk around smelling like an old sock with food spilled all over your shirt?

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that it is necessary to get all dressed up to go out in public or to immigration. However it would seem that any grown man going out in public just MIGHT want to be clean, odor free, and wear at least some amount of clothing that isn't full of holes or look like it has been retrieved from a roadside ditch.

It's called having a bit of PRIDE in yourself and if you don't have that then just maybe you could have a bit of respect and awareness that your appearance is something that others have no choice but to see and/or smell.

• Like 2

Quote:

"Why do so many foreigners present themselves at immigration looking like they just fell out of a trash can? "

Since when is it mandatory to dress up to go to the immigration office or anywhere else for that matter ?

We have enough rules and regulations regarding do's and don'ts already.

You should ask yourself following question: why are people being judged on their appearance ?

Seen more scumbags in nice suits then in casual (even run down) clothing.

there are lots of things that I could ask myself why about but that wont change the fact that those things actually happen. if you want to give someone in authority some reason to lose respect for you and perhaps make your life a bit more uncomfortable, go for it.

Right, up to me !

i dont see the point of discussion.

if someone wants to go to immigration dressed like a hobo it just makes my time there that much easier.

so what exactly is the issue?

So WHERE do you draw the line? Is it ok if someone walks around in public with his JUNK partially hanging out of a hole in his pants? Is it ok to walk around smelling like an old sock with food spilled all over your shirt?

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that it is necessary to get all dressed up to go out in public or to immigration. However it would seem that any grown man going out in public just MIGHT want to be clean, odor free, and wear at least some amount of clothing that isn't full of holes or look like it has been retrieved from a roadside ditch.

It's called having a bit of PRIDE in yourself and if you don't have that then just maybe you could have a bit of respect and awareness that your appearance is something that others have no choice but to see and/or smell.

And yet, you choose an avatar of a person that dresses like the person you despise.

Rather odd!

Agree with the post.

We are guests in this country and should represent ourselves appropriately. Clearly the eponymous 'HeavyDrinker' is doing his best to uphold stereotypes so the rest of need to work harder to counter this.

A government building deserves your respect in any country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app[/quote

No country in the world deseves respect,have a look at the place,and especially not an inate object.

• Like 1

Please..... have some pride in your actions, clothing appearance & personal hygiene to understand that YOU are representing ALL foreigners to the Thai people when you are in country

Says who? I represent no one bar myself nor do I require anyone to represent me.

Daft post.

No that is not true. If you look white and long nose like me, and say you are always drunk, automatically white skin and long nose will be known as drunk people. Someone who only knows your example of white and long nose will think all are that way.

If I am neat and nice someone who knows me, will look at you and think you are similar.

That might be racist, positive or negative and not fair but it is a fact. You represent other people who look similar.

If there would people who color their hair green, and they are very gentle to help elderly people and there is another group who color their hairs red and are hooligans.

People would learn what to expect from green haired and red haired people. Someone who naturally has red hair would automatically considered as hooligan.

As I told it is not fair

You wasted your time on that crap mate.You certainly have a low opinion of your fellow man.You do not represent me.I garner respect(hopefully)by the way I act over a period of time and do the same to others.

• Like 1

Many expats, and what have you, let themselves go over here for whatever reason. Some of these older dudes have really long hair on their arms and legs. Wax or shave that stuff off semi-annually at least, unless you want to become a walking carpet!

Another thing is the many fat dudes that never work out and kind of shuffle along slowly usually. Their stamina sexually and otherwise must be through the floor!

How do they maintain confidence as a man walking with a petite thai lady?

I guess when it becomes unmanageable it's easier to just deny it and continue drinking rather then think about it. How many farts around here have even been to a gym over here or have some kind of exercise equipment?

I could care less what immigration thinks, not sure why you brought that up. It's about keeping yourself together, not other people.

What people do with THEIR lives is entirely up to them.Your avatar should be rotated 180 degrees.

I'm all in favour of the ones that dress like slobs arriving at immigration that way thinking that folks don't make snap judgements based on appearance. The more difficult the authorities make it for them, the sooner they will get pissed off and move on! I look on it as a national beautification program.

There is not much evidence of this happening or surely these so called"slobs"would dude up.If your post was correct we would all be wearing our tux's.Thankfully Thai's have a more laid back attitude,more than plenty of uptight TV members.

A quote from another poster in a differant thread seems appropriate here:

"The lion cares not about the opinions of sheep"

thats the whole point. someone who doesnt care what someone in authority thinks of them cant really complain when that authority treats them with disrespect.

If I was in 19 th century England I would tug my folock and dip me hat,but thank goodness my grandparents emigrated to Oz where we have a different attitude.An authority is a person in uniform who we pay to facilitate our paperwork,nothing more,nothing less.In this country the uniformed person probably bought the job,and you want me to respect that!Respect is earned.

• Like 1

The replies to this topic forced me to recall that when I am at the immigration office it seems that expats from a certain English speaking country (that I will not need to name here) often come in with a bad attitude as well as deplorable attire.

Some actually argue with the officers in charge about rules and regulations that the officers have no influence over.

This just increases the waiting time for others and puts the officer in a poor mood for the next fellow in line!

The y are arrogant and act if as if they are superior to Thais and other expats as well!

After all ,they did actually attempt to ( and failed ) to colonize most of the world at one point in history.

They think they are doing all of us a favor by coming here and setting such a high example for us all to learn from.

And yes, most of them dress like.......we are lucky they bothered to put any clothes on at all!

I'm sure we are!

I think you should re-check your history books... Americans couldn't colonize their own back yard!

The empire before the Yanks.

A quote from another poster in a differant thread seems appropriate here:

"The lion cares not about the opinions of sheep"

thats the whole point. someone who doesnt care what someone in authority thinks of them cant really complain when that authority treats them with disrespect.

If I was in 19 th century England I would tug my folock and dip me hat,but thank goodness my grandparents emigrated to Oz where we have a different attitude.An authority is a person in uniform who we pay to facilitate our paperwork,nothing more,nothing less.In this country the uniformed person probably bought the job,and you want me to respect that!Respect is earned.

its got nuttin to do with respect for them, its about his lack of respect for you.

• Like 1

Two foreigners on the way to the consulate:

HuaHin010_zps1286e8d6.jpg

That new walkway is so bad. It's just been made and already they are leaving the covers off the manhol

I was just going to take a bite out of a nice sandwich but that goblin on the right just took away all the appetite i had.

There might be a business model in there somewhere.... Want to lose weight? Pin this to the fridge.

Please..... have some pride in your actions, clothing appearance & personal hygiene to understand that YOU are representing ALL foreigners to the Thai people when you are in country

Says who? I represent no one bar myself nor do I require anyone to represent me.

Daft post.

People should dress appropriately according to where they are and for what purpose. For example, most people would not wear a shabby tee-shirt, jeans and plimsolls when going for a job interview.

Lack of dress code and dress sense gives the semblance of ignorance plus it shows a blatant disrespect to those who have to deal with these people and to a point where Immigration is concerned these people are representing our nations.

It is true that clothes maketh the man and the way these people dress and conduct themselves also says lots about their characters. Appearance is the first thing other people judge us by and in many cases how these people come across or as first impressions can tar us all with the same brush, especially when foreigners are concerned.

In my opinion those who dress inappropriately in the wrong places are of low intellect or in other words, ignorant low lives who are not doing themselves or any of us any favours as to how we are perceived in Thailand.

Thank goodness your opinion was left behind in the 18-19 th century,but some still cling to the old times.If the cloths are clean that is all that counts in dress code.Your thoughts show a lot about your own insecurites and what people think about you.As far as comparing intellect with the cloths people wear,rather shallow thinking imo.The biggest decision I make in the morning is whether it's singlet or t- shirt weather and always boardy's.

Cloths??

What country are you from?

Haven't seen anyone in a loin cloth in ages!

Most of us wear clothes, or clothing.

Could you post a pic of you in your loin cloths?

No wait, please don't.

I just found one!

And please do not wear one to immigration.

Thais are pretty modest people!

post-147745-0-53463000-1382768552_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

I used to have some care about my dress before going to Immigration. However, truth is, they've seen everything and they don't much care what you look like. Mostly they just want to get through their miserable workday and collect as much money as possible.

I stopped bothering to make any special effort and it's made no difference at all.

Having said that, it would be nice if the farang in Thailand dressed and acted better (no groping their bargirl's ass on the BTS), but it's useless to attempt to change their behavior. The financial crisis has fortunately weeded out the worst offenders. Now it's the Chinese behavior . . . .

• Like 1

As mentioned, the cloth of choice is a sarong:

220px-Sarungan.jpg

Anything else is just a stupid idea from a former army general in WWII, who decided to change Siam to Thailand and had among others the boneheaded idea to "westernize" clothing. The result is arctic temperature in BKK indoor spaces, a huge waste of energy and very uncomfortable clothes while outdoors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

Edited by DrTuner

Would it be OK if I just had pride in my intellect, my tremendous sense of humour, and the benefit of being born in the greatest nation on earth?

Has anyone got any actual evidence that people get turned away at immigration

a) because they do not look smart

cool.png because they do not take pride in looking smart?

Perhaps the immigration officers are not as prejudiced by first appearances as is the OP

Personally, I believe the locals think all of us are nuts, a breed apart.

At times I'm inclined to agree smile.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif You are not alone biggrin.png

• Like 1

Daft post.

People should dress appropriately according to where they are and for what purpose. For example, most people would not wear a shabby tee-shirt, jeans and plimsolls when going for a job interview.

Lack of dress code and dress sense gives the semblance of ignorance plus it shows a blatant disrespect to those who have to deal with these people and to a point where Immigration is concerned these people are representing our nations.

It is true that clothes maketh the man and the way these people dress and conduct themselves also says lots about their characters. Appearance is the first thing other people judge us by and in many cases how these people come across or as first impressions can tar us all with the same brush, especially when foreigners are concerned.

In my opinion those who dress inappropriately in the wrong places are of low intellect or in other words, ignorant low lives who are not doing themselves or any of us any favours as to how we are perceived in Thailand.

Thank goodness your opinion was left behind in the 18-19 th century,but some still cling to the old times.If the cloths are clean that is all that counts in dress code.Your thoughts show a lot about your own insecurites and what people think about you.As far as comparing intellect with the cloths people wear,rather shallow thinking imo.The biggest decision I make in the morning is whether it's singlet or t- shirt weather and always boardy's.

If the question is getting what you need done as quickly as possible, I would wear whatever is needed to get the guys attention, get him to listen to me, and do what I need him to do.

If I think he would prefer me to wear a suit and I reckon it will help get the job done, do it.

Daft post.

Hey Mr. DAFT post. Thats the main problem with most "farangs". Too stupid to understand that their behavior and appearance (as guests) in Thailand, reflects on us ALL. The word "FARANG" is a designated social demographic group, in the eyes of Thai people, regardless of wherever you may come from. So try doing some "thinking", for a change, by being a little less self-centered. You might get more respect from the Thai people. Duh!

• Like 1

Daft post.

Hey Mr. DAFT post. Thats the main problem with most "farangs". Too stupid to understand that their behavior and appearance (as guests) in Thailand, reflects on us ALL. The word "FARANG" is a designated social demographic group, in the eyes of Thai people, regardless of wherever you may come from. So try doing some "thinking", for a change, by being a little less self-centered. You might get more respect from the Thai people. Duh!

and from many here as well

• Like 2

Agree with the post.

We are guests in this country and should represent ourselves appropriately. Clearly the eponymous 'HeavyDrinker' is doing his best to uphold stereotypes so the rest of need to work harder to counter this.

No country in the world deseves respect,have a look at the place,and especially not an inate object.

<We are guests in this country>

ENOUGH ALREADY!

A guest does NOT have to PAY to be staying somewhere.

Like all the other farang VISITORS, I pay a lot to be here, so please, please stop with the BS.

Agree with the post.

<We are guests in this country>

ENOUGH ALREADY!

A guest does NOT have to PAY to be staying somewhere.

Like all the other farang VISITORS, I pay a lot to be here, so please, please stop with the BS.

a hotel GUEST most certainly pays to stay.