Bangkok makes the shortlist of the World's Best Cities

hanno

Great hotels, restaurants, bars, cinemas. Like the BTS. Pretty girls. Good medical care. Fantastic shopping. Relatively cheap. Great weather. Good sightseeing.

Now, before anyone replies with a long list of all the things that are wrong with BKK: I am aware of that, but show me a city in Asia that does not have lots of things wrong with it one way or another?

• Like 2

As an opening line ... I really like Bangkok.

Others included ... Phnom Penh, Cambodia ... cheesy.gif

I also note that this esteemed article has been available for 20 hours ... almost a day ... and no-one has commented on their web page ... facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I was seriously debating whether I should post the link as I knew the Thai-bashing would start immediately. I was rightcoffee1.gif

No, it's not bashing.

They're called opinions. That's what the survey collected. Opinions.

I've got mine, you've got yours. In something like this we're both right.

I appreciate the link, even if I disagree in part.

Seoul, South Korea; Shenzhen, China

Definitely another metric at work here. I cant think of too many major cities in the Asia-Pacific region (Sydney included) that wont be completely unlivable within 30 years at current growth rates - happy to hear otherwise.

As an opening line ... I really like Bangkok.

Others included ... Phnom Penh, Cambodia ... cheesy.gif

I also note that this esteemed article has been available for 20 hours ... almost a day ... and no-one has commented on their web page ... facepalm.gif

Agreed I'd love to know who/how/why anyone would think Phnom Penh is one of the worlds BEST cities? Best for what?

Strange strange list in my estimation....some BS about 100 million ONLINE votes and yet not one single comment on the website??...sounds more like some guy trying to hype up his website than a serious attempt to determine the worlds best cities to me.

• Like 1

It is a bit hard to deny. Whether you may like it or not, this is not just a 'one off' poll or judgment. More people will visit the LOS this year than the entire population of Australia.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-tourist-destinations-2013-2013-6

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/01/bangkok-claims-the-worlds-no-1-tourist-destination-title/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10083884/Bangkok-to-be-worlds-most-visited-city.html

I do not go 'downtown' alot, only ever to meet up with friends, a few of those 24 Million, who are passing through. They all seem to like it too.

It has its faults. No argument there, but I'm quite happy with my lot. I know for a fact some of my peers in Oz envy my life here. This is not perceived, they have openly said it to my face.

cpofc, I dont think anyone is denying Bangkok's tourist appeal, but how many people do you know who go to Shenzhen for the quality of the tourist experience ? Pnomh Penh ? No - this list has been thrown together by folk with some very interesting agendas.

• Like 1

cpofc, I dont think anyone is denying Bangkok's tourist appeal, but how many people do you know who go to Shenzhen for the quality of the tourist experience ? Pnomh Penh ? No - this list has been thrown together by folk with some very interesting agendas.

yeah, that is exactly the reason I inserted links to the other more 'prestigious' and well known organisations and publications smile.png

Are you suggesting the main criteria was the tourist experience? Reykavic in Iceland wouldn't have made it then would it? I've been to Shenzhen hundreds of times and it is far superior to Beijing, Shanghai and even Singapore come to that. Mass Rapid Transport that works and is clean, great entertainment, MICE centre, lovely coast line easy to get to, fabulous restaurants, I can continue but really, go there and see for yourself

• Like 1

How can Shenzhen make the list, but not Hong Kong, Beijing, or Shanghai...

And I'm maybe not that well travelled, but I've never even heard of Mendoza, Argentina, or Vigan in the Phillipines.

Edited by bkk_mike
  • Like 1

Are you suggesting the main criteria was the tourist experience? Reykavic in Iceland wouldn't have made it then would it? I've been to Shenzhen hundreds of times and it is far superior to Beijing, Shanghai and even Singapore come to that. Mass Rapid Transport that works and is clean, great entertainment, MICE centre, lovely coast line easy to get to, fabulous restaurants, I can continue but really, go there and see for yourself

No - I'm suggesting the exact opposite - if you read cpofc's earlier post, he is referring to a host of reasons why some might like Bangkok over other cities, and I'm saying that very little of that applies to Shenzhen. As I said, there is a different agenda at work here - it's not 'liveability' and it's not based on the desires of any group of tourists I'm aware of. It's either complete hokum - as several have suggested - or some kind of bizarre development index,. My vote is for the former.

You could be right, chrome poles and neon lights.

Do not take this as a Thai bashing post, but New York, Berlin, Paris, Rome nor Amsterdam are not on the list.

I've not looked but is this list attached to an advertisement for new airline services to the destinations it mentions?

Do not take this as a Thai bashing post, but New York, Berlin, Paris, Rome nor Amsterdam are not on the list.

I've not looked but is this list attached to an advertisement for new airline services to the destinations it mentions?

No, it is the same guys that selected the modern 7 Wonders of the World.

Beats me how anyone could willingly spend more than a day in Bangkok.

I really enjoy Bangkok for 3 or 4 days; JJ, Emporium, Dusit zoo; but world class, it ain't.

Two weeks ago I passed through. I wanted some western food. Went to a fancy Japanese establishment knowing I'd pay through the teeth.

Sure enough, the Ramen in Sukhumvit cost more than Tokyo's very famous, and oldest, ramen shop.

Both have open kitchens, I sat at the bar overlooking the cooking process.

Here's the difference:

In Tokyo, the chef did not duck down behind the stainless steel island (but still in plain view of us at the bar) halfway through preparing my meal, and pick his nose.

I walked out. So did the lady sitting next to me.

Nope, not world class.

"this list has been thrown together by folk with some very interesting agendas sponsors . "

fixed it

Great hotels, restaurants, bars, cinemas. Like the BTS. Pretty girls. Good medical care. Fantastic shopping. Relatively cheap. Great weather. Good sightseeing.

Now, before anyone replies with a long list of all the things that are wrong with BKK: I am aware of that, but show me a city in Asia that does not have lots of things wrong with it one way or another?

Not that familiar with Bangkok but I do enjoy movies and I see where they have a lot of theaters but they play just about the same at each one. Maybe a bigger selection of Thai movies than English.

Living in Chiang Mai I would take exception to the relatively cheap unless you were comparing it to Tokyo.

All that aside it does have some sight seeing that I would like to spend a week viewing. But many cities have that.

I couldn't believe it when I saw Beirut, Lebanon; Bring your own gun.