Pattaya Beach Road Under Water After Heavy Half Hour Of Rain

Rimmer

Pattaya Beach Road Under Water After Heavy Half Hour Of Rain

pdn29.jpg

PATTAYA:--Rain pounded pock-marked Pattaya again, taking only 30-minutes to over-fill drains, causing the well-known Beach Road shopping area to flood, so shop owners and workers combined to clear the damage.

PATTAYA – October 23,2013 [PDN]; At 5.30 pm. A journalist reported that as well as heavy pouring rain, the wind was also very strong, plus that at Beach Road in front of the Pattaya police station, the drains overflowed and could not release water into the sea, which caused extensive flooding. In just a half an hour, 50-cms of rain had fell from the sky, which made the situation on the roads very difficult and small cars could not get through the water, so some of them had to be pushed because of engine failure.

Journalists reported that the ‘activities area’ of a well-known shopping center, got completely flooded too, so shop owners and workers came together to force the water out, and completely clean many areas to prevent any damage to products and equipment.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/24/pattaya-beach-road-under-water-after-heavy-half-hour-of-rain/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-10-24

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't look regular to me. I've never seen beach road that flooded so I think it's news. BTW, Central Mall lower level was NOT flooded. They've got a system apparently.

Because the water couldn't flow into the sea?

If that was Detol it might just start to clean the scum off.

oh dear.

• Like 2

+ The chaos on the roads - a 25 minute journey took me 2 hrs 30. I cannot believe that with the sea just yards away, Beach road can get flooded so regularly. Surely it is not beyond the wit of (Thai) man to remove some of the impediments to drainage?

Sure Beach Road was flooded regularly.

I remember Sep 2011 which might have been the worst.

Big strong currents coming down from the Sois.

Nothing new at all, just the yearly discussion: is it worse than ever? (some say so)

The good thing at Beach Road: it can never be much higher than the pavement borders.

Much worse in 2nd road in front of VT6 and Central: unpassable with all kind of regular cars/pickups as these buildings form a new kind of "concrete dam".

"the system" at Central (at beach road) consists of nice "designer sandbags" biggrin.png

The pumps would never be able to fight a flash flood.

The good thing, yesterday (24. Oct) everything dried up, sun shining (as a friend told me).

Will see what happens for the rest of today.

Planning to be there on Sunday wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Nothing new at all, just the yearly discussion: is it worse than ever? (some say so)

The good thing at Beach Road: it can never be much higher than the pavement borders.

Much worse in 2nd road in front of VT6 and Central: unpassable with all kind of regular cars/pickups as these buildings form a new kind of "concrete dam".

"the system" at Central (at beach road) consists of nice "designer sandbags" biggrin.png

The good thing, yesterday (24. Oct) everything dried up, sun shining (as a friend told me).

but pattaya is facing the gulf, not the sea, so I guess any damage to the beach is not a maximum.

+ The chaos on the roads - a 25 minute journey took me 2 hrs 30. I cannot believe that with the sea just yards away, Beach road can get flooded so regularly. Surely it is not beyond the wit of (Thai) man to remove some of the impediments to drainage?

Was on Beach Road about an hour after the downpour, strangely some of the road drains were covered, one drain had a large volume of water acting as a fountain, I suppose from blockage, with the result of a river of water flowing very fast into the sea

Perhaps why this is news is that Beach Road has been (and continues to be) upgraded however it appears to have no changes to the storm water system. Disappointing however with enough negative publicity city hall may throw more money down the drain to fix the issue next year 5555 ;-)

but pattaya is facing the gulf, not the sea, so I guess any damage to the beach is not a maximum.

The beach has been damaged quite substantially at certain sections (as seen from pictures),

Lots of sand washed away. Not much of a "beach" left.

The next big waste of money that is planned is a huge pileup of fresh sand and building protection walls.

Nobody is presenting a proper plan to get rid of this ever recurring flash floods (drainage with some brain).

No, I guess not. What? Gulf, sea, ocean, apart from the name what's the difference?

Remove the sandbags that the vendors have blocked the beach with prehaps?

exactly, it wouldnt solve the problem but it would sure reduce it, unfortunately the beach mafia can do what they want including flooding Pattaya to protect their personal sand patches, because Pattaya has no leadership. I guess the council may organise some well paid meetings and put out a press release saying they are going to act on it, that should sort it out