How do people manage to get scammed by taxis at Swampy?

ExpatJ

I fly in and out of the airport here in Bangkok 1-3 times monthly an have done for lat few years - after going through immigration I walk out to the official taxi stand and get my meter taxi in to town - never had a problem.

Then I see on thaivisa all these warnings and hand wringing about getting scammed by taxis !

Aside from don muang and swampy is there some other airport in Bangkok where these scamming taxis are apparently universal ?

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use the official taxi stand and get in to a metered taxi... and then right after leaving the airport the driver suddenly decides using the meter is not good enough and starts wanting to name his price. Happened to me more than a few times as I live a long way from the airport. Fortunately I know the correct fare for where I am going so the driver just gets that but misses out on the tip I would usually give, but a first timer to Thailand, late at night, just off a long international flight might easily be intimidated and pay up.

Are you going to argue over what may amount to an overcharge of only a few dollars and risk getting knifed by some driver high on yaba or just wear it and complain later on an internet forum? Getting a taxi from the official stand doesn't guarantee a smooth ride and ringing the complaints line provided on your taxi chit... only had to do that once over something, it wasn't an overcharge, they couldn't help me.

• Like 2

I, like you have been using taxis here for many years, and as I speak the language they hardly ever try it on.

However last week one tried from the Public Taxi stand at Don Muang.

I was getting a taxi to Pattaya, from DM it's a set 1,600 baht.

I checked with the girl and she confirmed the tollway was included.

He tried to add the tollway to the fare and then when I expressed that I was pleased that I had got in one of the new 'high' taxis he told me there was a 200 baht supplement for this......

Needless to say he only got the 1600, but I wonder what happened to the usual AOT 50 baht?.....

His girlfriend called him while driving to find out where he was, and was surprised to hear he was out of BKK on his way to Pattaya.

I was amused to hear him tell her that he was doing it because the foreigner was paying him 2,500 baht!

Thai style....

Edited by Andyfez
  • Like 1

If the OP was that smart he would like me have a regular taxi driver who is actually now a very good friend.

We meet at the meeting point,he takes my bags from my weary arms and hands me my pre discussed bag of fluids and snacks freshly purchased from 7-11.

We never use the meter, he pays all the tolls and we chat about family and work and football.

That's the way to use taxis when arriving in Bangkok,non of that waiting outside lark.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well aren't you precious.

Not at all it's called using your loaf,although being a circusman I guess that doesn't come easy,your not a clown are you by any chance ?

• Like 2

Well, definitely, people who come for the first time and don't know about the country can get screwed by taxis at the airport. I can't count the number of times that I have been approached by taxis, speaking English and then I keep walking and tell them in Thai where I am going. Those guys almost immediately leave and find someone else and I have heard them say "Where you go? Oh, Sathron? 1000 baht...cheap price for go Sathorn." Whatever, I imagine the person is here with family on vacation and 1000 baht sounds reasonable for transport from the airport. It would be in most cities in Europe and the US, more or less. Once you are here a while and know the place, though, you should have the skills to filter those guys out.

True story.

I meet this girl in a hotel on Khao San road.

We talk for a while.

She tells me she has to go meet a boyfriend, and she calls a taxi.

We say goodbye.

I walk to a street junction, and turn right on a street that has a 45 degree angle.

I walk in a hotel that has coffee, about a two minute walk at the most.

And 10 minutes later, the same girl walks in.

I ask her where she has been.

She told me she was on a taxi all this time just to get here...

I told her it is about a 2 minute walk...

Hehehe

• Like 1

I usually get rid of all normal taxi scams, but there is one that has happened twice to me, that is quite difficult to avoid, and that is the hacked taxi meter

what can you do when you are in a taxi and you see clearly that the meter is running much quicker than it should? stop the taxi in the middle of a highway? ... this is the worst scam, the only thing I can think when this happens is tell the driver to get off the highway an look for another car, but when you have your baggage and have just come from a trans ocean flight, what usually happens is that you end up paying what the hacked meter says

the only tip I can give for avoiding this scam is not to get into cabs that has not visible the fare per km, in both ocasions this happened to me this was not visible anywhare in the cab

does the paper they give you at the airport has any use in preventing this? has anybody used this paper an phone number they provide to do any claim ever?

You can use the official taxi stand and get in to a metered taxi... and then right after leaving the airport the driver suddenly decides using the meter is not good enough and starts wanting to name his price. Happened to me more than a few times as I live a long way from the airport. Fortunately I know the correct fare for where I am going so the driver just gets that but misses out on the tip I would usually give, but a first timer to Thailand, late at night, just off a long international flight might easily be intimidated and pay up. Are you going to argue over what may amount to an overcharge of only a few dollars and risk getting knifed by some driver high on yaba or just wear it and complain later on an internet forum? Getting a taxi from the official stand doesn't guarantee a smooth ride and ringing the complaints line provided on your taxi chit... only had to do that once over something, it wasn't an overcharge, they couldn't help me.

I've never had any problems with taxis from the queue at either airport, in 14 years. Never had the "I'm not turning on the meter" after leaving the airport. Might have something to do with the fact I let the driver know immediately that I speak a lot of Thai and have been here many times (in the guise of friendly chatter) even before we get into the cab.

However, in general, I have to say that I too am baffled at all the complaints people have against taxi drivers in Bangkok. I can count on one hand the amount of bad experiences I've had taking taxis in Bangkok.

One rule to follow, of course, is one that all experienced taxi riders around the world know: never take a parked taxi, always step around them and flag a moving one (the exception of course being the airport, where they're all parked, unless you go up to departures...).

• Like 1

Taxis are very cheap in Thailand. Prices have gone though the roof but taxi fares have not increased for a long time. I do like to take a taxi at DM or Swampy but I don't like to wait 15 minutes to get a taxi.

I just prefer to take a Camry, Teana or Fortuner at DM to the office in downtown for 810 Baht including tollways and I can lighten up a cigarette. Last week I had an appointment at 10am and reached 9.35am at DM. Damn it if I would have come to late to the appointment I would have lost face and possible a big deal. So I told the driver here is another 190 Baht but make it at 10am to my destination. He drove 170-180km'h and we made it just in time.

When in downtown I normally will use the motorbike taxi's but if I have to take a taxi I will ask them directly in Isaan the destination where I am traveling too and if I can lighten up a smoke. They always agree and I always round-up the fares with 10 or 20 Baht.

Only had once a problem in 24 years and the driver came from the South.

You can use the official taxi stand and get in to a metered taxi... and then right after leaving the airport the driver suddenly decides using the meter is not good enough and starts wanting to name his price. Happened to me more than a few times as I live a long way from the airport. Fortunately I know the correct fare for where I am going so the driver just gets that but misses out on the tip I would usually give, but a first timer to Thailand, late at night, just off a long international flight might easily be intimidated and pay up. Are you going to argue over what may amount to an overcharge of only a few dollars and risk getting knifed by some driver high on yaba or just wear it and complain later on an internet forum? Getting a taxi from the official stand doesn't guarantee a smooth ride and ringing the complaints line provided on your taxi chit... only had to do that once over something, it wasn't an overcharge, they couldn't help me.

I've never had any problems with taxis from the queue at either airport, in 14 years. Never had the "I'm not turning on the meter" after leaving the airport. Might have something to do with the fact I let the driver know immediately that I speak a lot of Thai and have been here many times (in the guise of friendly chatter) even before we get into the cab.

However, in general, I have to say that I too am baffled at all the complaints people have against taxi drivers in Bangkok. I can count on one hand the amount of bad experiences I've had taking taxis in Bangkok.

One rule to follow, of course, is one that all experienced taxi riders around the world know: never take a parked taxi, always step around them and flag a moving one (the exception of course being the airport, where they're all parked, unless you go up to departures...).

I always go up to departures at SVP. Bet way to get a grateful cabby back into town, as they are not allowed to sit around and wait. The airport personnel/police make them leave within a minute or thereabouts, so they are happy to have a fare back into town.

I only had one guy who wanted to go without a meter. We argued (lightly) for a minute, but we had already established that he was from very near my wife's village (she wasn't present, though) and we had a good rapport. He said he was heading home for the night and wanted an off-the-books fare. I wouldn't recommend this, but I went for it, as we were getting along. I knew how much it cost to go where I was heading and he quoted just under that and paid the toll fees, so...fine....

Otherwise, departures is definitely the way to go. It seems there is also some kind of fee if you leave from arrivals? Don't know as I have never done it.

• Like 2

Now see to me you are getting scammed by going to the taxi stand. Don't you have to pay some kind of airport tax for that? If it is too late for the bus, I walk out of immigration and go up to departures and crossover the driveway to get my taxi. When I am going home to Pattaya I tell the driver 900 baht and I pay the 60 baht in tolls. Nobody has ever refused this price. I always give him 1000 total, while most people I know are paying 1500 baht.

It always makes a difference when you know better. My first time to Thailand me and my friend paid 600 baht to go to Nana to one of those car services you see when you leave out of immigration. Going back to the airport I learned that the meter price for that route was a little over 200 baht. Experience is the best teacher.

• Like 1

Some (maybe a bit dated) comparison figures. The distance between My old house in Bkk and my new house on the darkside is about the same as to old swampy. Something like 125 km. In my car, the round trip for petrol between the two houses cost very roughly 700 baht (2 years ago). The taxi driver who took me from my darkside house to swampy a year ago said it cost him 300 baht in lpg round trip. He charged me 800 baht to swampy, and the same for the return trip when he picked me up 2 weeks later. Three different drivers have taken people from my darkside house to the airport, and all were decent and respectful (just thought I'd put on my rose bifocals for a minute there).

Well let me tell ya, some people don't like those long lines queues waiting for a taxi at the official stand or paying the extra 50b.. and they go UPSTAIRS to the drop off and jump into a taxi that has just let people out.. in most cases its a win/win for YOU and the taxi driver as he is never empty and you don't have to wait.. but then the taxis get greedy and realize that nobody saw you get in, theres no record and its their opportunity to scam u

Its what I do..as well but I havnt gotten scammed with going all around town to jewelers and massage parlours while they get kickbacks

That is so easy. Just listen to me. Be smart and don't go with flock to the grounf floor to the meter taxi stand. (there are cheater among them, fast taximeter). You have to go to the number 4th level, yes, yes this is departure zone but many traveller come by normal city taxi from the city. So go out from building, cross the road, keep left, left, don't care with smiling hyenas and catch one normal pink, blue or yellow-green, etc ... taxi. They will be happy cause they can't go to the arrival zone to pick any-one cause they are not in the airport taxi maffia. And they are not cheater.

Let's go!

Well, definitely, people who come for the first time and don't know about the country can get screwed by taxis at the airport. I can't count the number of times that I have been approached by taxis, speaking English and then I keep walking and tell them in Thai where I am going. Those guys almost immediately leave and find someone else and I have heard them say "Where you go? Oh, Sathron? 1000 baht...cheap price for go Sathorn." Whatever, I imagine the person is here with family on vacation and 1000 baht sounds reasonable for transport from the airport. It would be in most cities in Europe and the US, more or less. Once you are here a while and know the place, though, you should have the skills to filter those guys out.

A first-timer could easily get caught by the AOT limo counter in the baggage hall, and then 1000 baht would be a real bargain, If you don't know what is outside the doors

Aside from don muang and swampy is there some other airport in Bangkok where these scamming taxis are apparently universal ?

No. There are just two airports here in metropolitan Bangkok: SBIA/BKK and DMIA/DMK.

I think taxi scams, in all their various flavors: hot meter, changing to a fixed fare/not using the meter, asking for help pushing the taxi and leaving with all the luggage, detours to retail/entertainment venues...., happen everywhere, and to everyone, including Thais.

Obviously, you have lived here long enough to recognize some of them, and have thus far been unaffected by them, apparently. I guess the point of your post was to boast about this, rather than helping anyone else out. It takes all kinds. whistling.gif

I still don't get these meter scams. Never had a problem and found BKK taxis to be most honest.

I left my man-bag in foot well of cab on arrival to DMX a few years ago and driver shouted something or another. Not sure why I took it off, but lesson learned and driver was suitably rewarded with an over-inflated tip and quite right too. Needless to say he could have kept roof over his family's head for the next quarter with what was sitting there at his disposal.

If the OP was that smart he would like me have a regular taxi driver who is actually now a very good friend.

We meet at the meeting point,he takes my bags from my weary arms and hands me my pre discussed bag of fluids and snacks freshly purchased from 7-11.

We never use the meter, he pays all the tolls and we chat about family and work and football.

That's the way to use taxis when arriving in Bangkok,non of that waiting outside lark.

Well aren't you precious.

Not at all it's called using your loaf,although being a circusman I guess that doesn't come easy,your not a clown are you by any chance ?

My observation is that if you're paying a fixed price, you're paying way too much. Taxi drivers don't give you a fixed price that is less than a meter price, and there is NO doubt about that.

True story.

I meet this girl in a hotel on Khao San road.

We talk for a while.

She tells me she has to go meet a boyfriend, and she calls a taxi.

We say goodbye.

I walk to a street junction, and turn right on a street that has a 45 degree angle.

I walk in a hotel that has coffee, about a two minute walk at the most.

And 10 minutes later, the same girl walks in.

I ask her where she has been.

She told me she was on a taxi all this time just to get here...

I told her it is about a 2 minute walk...

Hehehe

You forgot to add the part of not getting scammed at the airport.smile.png

My observation is that if you're paying a fixed price, you're paying way too much. Taxi drivers don't give you a fixed price that is less than a meter price, and there is NO doubt about that.

FWIW, for destinations outside the BMA, fixed-fares are the rule/law per the DLT.

Any fixed-price should be reasonable, and agreeable to both parties. Yes, it will likely be more than the meter, but one also has to factor in weather, destination, availability, desire to get to a destination in a timely fashion, etc.

For radio dispatched taxis there is an additional 20 baht fee.

Get yourself a regular guy the older the better and he will look after you and pick you up all the time.

A good scam is taking you a very long way around they can also alter the metre, they can also charge you for each bag separate. But the best way is to go to the metre taxi stand.

I always go up to departures at SVP. Bet way to get a grateful cabby back into town, as they are not allowed to sit around and wait. The airport personnel/police make them leave within a minute or thereabouts, so they are happy to have a fare back into town.

I only had one guy who wanted to go without a meter. We argued (lightly) for a minute, but we had already established that he was from very near my wife's village (she wasn't present, though) and we had a good rapport. He said he was heading home for the night and wanted an off-the-books fare. I wouldn't recommend this, but I went for it, as we were getting along. I knew how much it cost to go where I was heading and he quoted just under that and paid the toll fees, so...fine....

Otherwise, departures is definitely the way to go. It seems there is also some kind of fee if you leave from arrivals? Don't know as I have never done it.

I did that several times until I got "caught". Jumped into a car and a cop walked up and stopped the car. I sat there for about 15 minutes while they argued about what was going to happen. Eventually, I had to get out and go to the regular stand. The cop started telling me something about it being illegal and all. I agreed and left quickly before he tried to extract some money from me also.

I've read one of the big scams now is to pick you up, start the meter and all, then stop not far from the airport and transfer you to a junky alternative. Pattaya bound passengers have been known to be bundled together into one car. When it's late at night, you're on some small and dark back road. You don't have many options.

Taxi scams happen world wide. Unfortunately.

• Like 2

I always catch my cab at the departures and never had any problems, BKK is a dream compared to Phuket, there it so bad that I order my hire car in advance and the guy delivers it to the airport and picks it up there when I leave

I usually get rid of all normal taxi scams, but there is one that has happened twice to me, that is quite difficult to avoid, and that is the hacked taxi meter

what can you do when you are in a taxi and you see clearly that the meter is running much quicker than it should? stop the taxi in the middle of a highway? ... this is the worst scam, the only thing I can think when this happens is tell the driver to get off the highway an look for another car, but when you have your baggage and have just come from a trans ocean flight, what usually happens is that you end up paying what the hacked meter says

the only tip I can give for avoiding this scam is not to get into cabs that has not visible the fare per km, in both ocasions this happened to me this was not visible anywhare in the cab

does the paper they give you at the airport has any use in preventing this? has anybody used this paper an phone number they provide to do any claim ever?

Happened to me at the airport, meter went to 70 Baht before we went 100 meters. I said stop meter broke I get out now, I cancel. He miraculously fixed the meter by pushing a button, no other problems the whole way.

Have a friend that comes through often too. He makes sure the driver sees him taking a picture of the plate / back end of the car after loading his bags into the trunk. (he sends it to his girlfriend through his phone then).........and ah yes, he has never had a single problem !!!

• Like 2