Safety in BKK during any upheaval?

impulse

Looks like the next few days may be a little more tense than most here in BKK politics.

God forbid it should come to it, but can anyone offer any insight into personal safety from the last time the poop hit the fan? Looking for the voices of experience from 2010 and earlier:

Was the violence all over, or limited to certain areas?

Are there areas that were to be avoided, or areas to seek refuge?

Was it possible to leave town on public transport, or drive out of town, and by what means and routes? Was the violence limited to BKK, or was it safer to stay in town?

Was it possible to carry out normal daily functions safely? Eating, shopping, working, etc? Electricity stay on?, Internet get cut off?

Thanks in advance from a guy who arrived after the last go-round.

Edited by impulse

Violence was limited to certain areas. And round the corner from them life continued as usual- people went to work, went shopping, drank coffees, ate lunch etc etc. Quite surreal in a way. There were areas to be avoided- like Lumpini Park when stuff was kicking off- but most of the city was fine and it was easy to know where to avoid. Could easily get in and out of the city no problem as well. Electricity stayed on, internet stayed on, restaurants, bars, cinemas- usual life.

The only exception really was when a curfew was in place, which meant you had to stay indoors after a certain time (8pm to 6am I think but I might be wrong). But as odd as it sounds, for something that was such a big deal, it really wasn't that big a deal.

Assuming you are a Farang, the chance of you being caught up in any violent disturbance are very small indeed. Just keep up to date with the news and stay away from the highly localised areas where trouble flares.

The chance of you being inconvenienced are greater. The closure of the airport was dubbed 'Project Hiroshima by the 'Yellow Shirts' who are the shock troops of the ruling elite and not a mass movement in any way. We never found out what 'project Nagasaki would have been (apparently there was such a plan). Their capacity to inconvenience foreigners is considerable. The Red Shirts are a popular mass movement and as such their protestsa re less difficult to gauge although they are less likely to deliberately inconvenience foreigners as their argument is solely with the ruling elite.

Blocking a major tourist area for 2 months sounds like deliberately inconveniencing foreigners.

Assuming you are a Farang, the chance of you being caught up in any violent disturbance are very small indeed. Just keep up to date with the news and stay away from the highly localised areas where trouble flares.

The chance of you being inconvenienced are greater. The closure of the airport was dubbed 'Project Hiroshima by the 'Yellow Shirts' who are the shock troops of the ruling elite and not a mass movement in any way. We never found out what 'project Nagasaki would have been (apparently there was such a plan). Their capacity to inconvenience foreigners is considerable. The Red Shirts are a popular mass movement and as such their protestsa re less difficult to gauge although they are less likely to deliberately inconvenience foreigners as their argument is solely with the ruling elite.

Blocking a major tourist area for 2 months sounds like deliberately inconveniencing foreigners.

Tourists were the least of their concern.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

Shows how much you've learned even after being here long enough to rack up 14,000+ posts, eh.

I don't think tourists and expats were on their minds so much as their struggle for what they believed was a right to a fair shot at a better life.

If they had to inconvenience a few international retail giants like LVMH and Burberry etc and indirectly put pressure on the government, so be it.

The inconvenience to tourists was incidental

Anyway to the OP, safety wasn't really an issue.

Living in Asoke around that time, although there were troops positioned at the BTS, I managed to sneak out a couple of times during the curfew to the bar complex near the Queen's Park Hotel on soi 22 where a couple of places had all-night lock-ins with some tunes.

Similarly, I don't think tourists and expats were on the yellow shirts minds when they went out to the airport to stop the then PM. Their aim during all of their 2008 protests were to stop parliament from deliberating on laws to get Thaksin off his charges.

rolleyes.gif

Shows how much you've learned even after being here long enough to rack up 14,000+ posts, eh.

I don't think tourists and expats were on their minds so much as their struggle for what they believed was a right to a fair shot at a better life.

If they had to inconvenience a few international retail giants like LVMH and Burberry etc and indirectly put pressure on the government, so be it.

The inconvenience to tourists was incidental

Anyway to the OP, safety wasn't really an issue.

Living in Asoke around that time, although there were troops positioned at the BTS, I managed to sneak out a couple of times during the curfew to the bar complex near the Queen's Park Hotel on soi 22 where a couple of places had all-night lock-ins with some tunes.

Similarly, I don't think tourists and expats were on the yellow shirts minds when they went out to the airport to stop the then PM. Their aim during all of their 2008 protests were to stop parliament from deliberating on laws to get Thaksin off his charges.

Absolutely. They didn't give a stuff about the inconvenice they caused to innocents. Shame the army didn't sort that one out as well.

Strictly on Topic:

I found that during the troubles living in Central Bangkok but a few Kilometers away from a couple of the 'trouble centres' life was very normal.

I kept abreast of the news.. One of the most useful sources of information was the updates on this forum.

At one point I made a traffic blunder actually found myself at a trouble spot (redshirt check point) I was waved through and allowed to pass through the barricaded zone and back out the other-side without issue.

Shopping was normal, going out a night was normal, the conversation with my Thai friends was obviously different and interesting with lots of opinions.

Everything appeared 'under-control'... however on the day the Government had had enough and sent in the troops and tanks I saw the mood change. What was a semi-organised and relatively peaceful protest and occupation of key city areas appeared to have turned.

In the time that I had popped out for lunch my way back home had been blocked by the movement of protesters. I had to take a back route home, I could hear gun shots and and saw the windows of a couple of buildings shot through. I saw people on bikes with red-head scarves and radios... The mob were getting restless and looked like they were on the move, I could see the situation taking a turn for the worse I could see randomness entering the fray and became concerned for the safety of my Wife. Random acts of mob violence and vandalism was on the cards, I though a riot could be developing, the situation and mood had certainly escalated.

I made an instant decision....

I gave my wife 10mins to pack a bag, I packed my bag and we got out of Bangkok. On the express way I could see Bangkok burning in my rear-view mirror, smoke was rising from a couple of different hotspots throughout the city.

The whole image was very eerie.

The road out of Bangkok was clear, traffic was normal. We drove to Pattaya, checked into a hotel for the night - A curfew had been called so it was a quiet night. The next day we went over to Koh Samet and relaxed while we waited for things to calm down.

About 4 days later, back in a scarred Bangkok, Central World had been burnt down, a few other locations showed fire damage... the rest of the city was back to normal.

The mood was one of relief, while it was tragic that a number of people had lost their lives a far greater loss in terms of numbers and damage was avoided... The potential was there and for a handful of hours Bangkok for a moment lurched on the edge, but came back. As for the politics - the self-serving games continue to damage the country far more than these serious protests ever could.

• Like 1

Shopping was normal, going out a night was normal, the conversation with my Thai friends was obviously different and interesting with lots of opinions.

Everything appeared 'under-control'... however on the day the Government had had enough and sent in the troops and tanks I saw the mood change. What was a semi-organised and relatively peaceful protest and occupation of key city areas appeared to have turned.

On the express way I could see Bangkok burning in my rear-view mirror, smoke was rising from a couple of different hotspots throughout the city.

Yeah we were on the way back from a heavy one at Swing (an after hours joint) at around 7 or 8 am.

We were in a taxi going over the Thai-Belgian bridge on Rama 4 and we could see this huge plume of smoke drifting over town.

I guess that's when things got serious sad.png

A major tourist area? I don't know..I walked right by it on my way to the embassy road...didn't bother me in the slightest and the rest of the city was fine. Now, some other groups have been known to shut down the airport, among other places. I think my departing flight would concern me more than a few streets in BKK.

Right now, it's mostly puffy chested posturing. Maybe, if they can actually work up a substantial presence, they might cause some trouble.

Fortunately, there are so many different issues to choose to protest, the people are scattered!

We'll have to see how the General's hearing goes. That could getting interesting ….

What's going on in the next couple of days that isn't going on now? I'm asking in all sincerity; I'm unaware of anything major taking place in the short term, and am a bit surprised to hear otherwise.

Oh, there have been reports of things getting tense, etc.and words from both side about this amnesty thing and other stuff.....who knows what will happen, but take a look around the news section of TV and you will find a few articles on it. For me, it is just SNAFU, so I just skim the headlines and thank my lucky stars I don't live in BKK (and cross my fingers that we won't have another stupid curfew out here in the sticks).

If what's being referred to is the Yellow Shirt protest at Samsen train station, that's no big deal. The only major disruptions caused by the Yellow Shirts were a short brouhaha near Democracy Monument, and then the much more serious shutdown of the airport for two weeks.

These protests aren't going to draw nearly the numbers that the Red shirt protests at Central World did, and it's quite unlikely that things are going to get out of hand in the immediate future.

As another poster indicated, this is all huff-and-puff which is quite normal in Asian politics; the usual deals will be made, and those on both the Red and the Yellow sides who're facing various criminal charges will end up acquitting one another.

In other words, business as usual.

That being said, in the event of real trouble (I was here throughout the Red shirt protests and subsequent crackdown, which were limited to specific areas and which weren't directed at foreigners), getting out to Pattaya and then having a plan to get from Pattaya out of Thailand altogether is a wise precaution under any circumstances - I stayed in Pattaya for 5 weeks during the flooding in 2011, as I was concerned that the airport might be affected, supplies were becoming dear, etc. Note that I went to Pattaya because of the chance of flooding, but stayed in Bangkok whilst the bullets were flying in Lumpini and at CentralWorld, which should give some idea of the relative threat posed by each.

Even in 2010 many foreign tourists reported that the people did not harm them or hassled them. When the crackdown took place no one was safe. But I think your fears for widespread protest is unfounded. In 2010 the government was weak and the police did not do their job, for the last couple of protests the police acted more decisive. The Dems also asked supporters not to break the law. Lets hope everything is peaceful.

It is with genuine sadnes that I laughed at your quote. Your information is valuable, and accurate, and that is not why I laughed, I laughed because sometimes things are so tragic that they are funny (needing an escape from sadness being one of comedy's virtues)..

Edited by FangFerang

On topic: I heard a rumor frim Thais, unsubstantiated, that the only mall that had insurance, and who could benefit from a uprising through claims...was Centralworld... They also say (and 'they say a lot of things') that no one in Thai news has recognized or acknowledged this fact.

Oddly, this information is accepted as fact among much of the local populaion where I live. It would make sense, in some ways, someone using a situation for gain...but I do not entirely buy into it.

Any information?

Edited by FangFerang

On topic: I heard a rumor frim Thais, unsubstantiated, that the only mall that had insurance, and who could benefit from a uprising through claims...was Centralworld... They also say (and 'they say a lot of things') that no one in Thai news has recognized or acknowledged this fact.

Oddly, this information is accepted as fact among much of the local populaion where I live. It would make sense, in some ways, someone using a situation for gain...but I do not entirely buy into it.

Any information?

What I do know is that, at the time, I was regularly buying from a popular vendor in Pratunam. After it had all calmed down she told me that her friend, who owned Pratunam, had been met up with their friend, who owned Platinum Mall, who was contacted as the crowds dispersed asking for a large amount of THB or the place would be burnt down. They sent their security teams out who discovered containers of petrol stacked up against the back of the building. By that point everybody was heading off so they think they might have spooked the people sent to light the fuse, so to speak.

Naturally, if you know the local geography, you'll know that the back of Platinum leads onto Klong Saen Saep and this would have provided the entrenched people with 6 weeks of unfettered access through the slum on the other side to bring in the petrol. This, of course, works wonderfully with the "1 litre per person" speech given by that crack-pot whose name I forget.

Strictly on Topic:

I found that during the troubles living in Central Bangkok but a few Kilometers away from a couple of the 'trouble centres' life was very normal.

I kept abreast of the news.. One of the most useful sources of information was the updates on this forum.

At one point I made a traffic blunder actually found myself at a trouble spot (redshirt check point) I was waved through and allowed to pass through the barricaded zone and back out the other-side without issue.

In the time that I had popped out for lunch my way back home had been blocked by the movement of protesters. I had to take a back route home, I could hear gun shots and and saw the windows of a couple of buildings shot through. I saw people on bikes with red-head scarves and radios... The mob were getting restless and looked like they were on the move, I could see the situation taking a turn for the worse I could see randomness entering the fray and became concerned for the safety of my Wife. Random acts of mob violence and vandalism was on the cards, I though a riot could be developing, the situation and mood had certainly escalated.

I made an instant decision....

I gave my wife 10mins to pack a bag, I packed my bag and we got out of Bangkok. On the express way I could see Bangkok burning in my rear-view mirror, smoke was rising from a couple of different hotspots throughout the city.

The whole image was very eerie.

The road out of Bangkok was clear, traffic was normal. We drove to Pattaya, checked into a hotel for the night - A curfew had been called so it was a quiet night. The next day we went over to Koh Samet and relaxed while we waited for things to calm down.

About 4 days later, back in a scarred Bangkok, Central World had been burnt down, a few other locations showed fire damage... the rest of the city was back to normal.

The mood was one of relief, while it was tragic that a number of people had lost their lives a far greater loss in terms of numbers and damage was avoided... The potential was there and for a handful of hours Bangkok for a moment lurched on the edge, but came back. As for the politics - the self-serving games continue to damage the country far more than these serious protests ever could.

Whilst your slightly emotive description was generally good it is important to be accurate lest it give an incorrect impression one way or another.

Central world was not burn't down, the Zen dept store side mostly was gutted and floors 6 & 7 further to the north took a some fire and mainly smoke damage but perhaps only 20-25% of the whole complex was burn't.

Good effort though to convey ones experience of that time. :)

Probably the most serious incident in my view that most neglect to recall about was the Sat night of April 10 at Kokwa intersection on Ratchadamnoen Klang Ave & Tanao rd just 50ms adjacent to the eastern end of Khao san rd.

This was the evening when the army attempted to clear Red Shirts who had earlier in the day tried to force their way into the 1st Army HQ on Ratchadamnoen Nok Ave after lunch upon hearing rumours that their protest site at Pan Fa bridge was going to be cleared. A confrontation ensured with Red Shirts at about 3pm at the infamous Makawan bridge site (between 1st Army HQ and Pan Fa) site were soldiers discharged tear gas into the wind and thus had to retreat and most of them didn't have masks.

Later they were ordered to clear the Red Shirt stage at Pan Fa (the original Red Shirt protest site before the move to Ratchaprasong intersection) late in the afternoon. The area was mostly cleared by early evening with most Red Shirts retreating west along Ratchadomnoen Klang occupying Democracy monument to Sanum Luang.

For some reason, there was a delay or some hours before the army was finally ordered to move in and clear all of Ratchadamnoen Klang Ave. Rubber bullets were used intially- the bean bag type - but at the flashpoint of Kokwa intersection live ammunition and at least 2 RPGs were used against soldiers which resulted in numerous casualties.

Given the proximity of Khao San rd and the fact that the army and their vehicles had been stationed in the area for some hours, many tourists were taking happy snaps and understandably having a good peek given the novelty. When live fire was discharged and the situation greatly deteriorated rapidly by mid evening numerous tourists were in the wrong place at the wrong time and some suffered injuries, though thankfully none that serious.

The army had their <deleted> kicked that night; lost at 5 with dozens of seriously injured and 9-10 vehicles including APCs were burnt out. (1 senior soldier of the Queens guard was killed and reportedly targeted due to the 2009 crackdown on red shirts at Din Deang which he reportedly lead). 17-18 civilians or red shirts were also killed and something like 800 people in all injured.

Many of the dead reportedly were shot in the head, sniper like. The Japanese journo was also killed. That was evening when the first pics of the 'black shirts' with automatic firearms were taken. The military also lost numerous weapons to the Red Shirts.

In the following days the Red Shirts packed up from the area and moved everyone to consolidate Ratchaprasong area. Surprisingly, the army didn't engage in immediate revenge nor a violent attempt to clear Ratchaprasong as probably would have happened in most other countries.

I'd suggest that this was the most serious and risky event during the months of April and May 2010 - much more serious than the 19 May clearing operation - given that it basically escalated suddenly and unexpectedly and also given the proximity to Khao San rd where people had little clue about what was going to unfold nor no warning.

Other concerning incidents which involved members of the public in unforeseeable incidents;

1) The shelling of the BTS Sala Daeng station with 3 RPGs while the BTS was operational luckily few casulties - a journo friend of mine was on the platfrom at the time,

2) The shooting of a soldier and confrontation of Vihavadi Rangsit rd and live fire occurred between Red Shirts and soldiers on a major rd with hundreds of vehicles stuck in between both sides. Soldiers blocked the northbound lanes but for some reason didn't think the clear the vehicles out and thus terriefied drivers were stuck in the cars whilst live fire was exchanged along with other projectiles. This after a group of Red Shirts went to confront police after some of their colleagues had been arrested at a checkpoint in Rangsit for carrying weapons

I have seen a few of these since 1988. Stay clear of a few areas, mind your own business, forget about it.

Well not forget entirely. Keep mindful that demos are occurring in other parts of the city you probably don't frequent or ever visit but that it could come closer to you at short notice. The most important thing is not to lose your head.

The reality is that you are more likely to be assaulted by a taxi driver or a bunch of drunk thai guys in some petty misunderstanding that got out of hand than be exposed to protest related violence. That doesn't mean that one should not be mindful of the random events.

Do a little research, be clear of what areas and what events are taking place so you are clear where to avoid. Especially, new sites. Today, for examples anyone on a train into BKK has to alight at Bang Sue reportedly due to crowds at Sam Sen station. Most of the time you'd want to give these areas a miss just for the traffic problems they create.

Unrelated, however in the same vain, when the ICJ hands down the Preah Vihear surrounding land issue most definitely there will be silly protest at places like the Cambodian Embassy, Foreign Affairs and some other sites.

Even in very recent large, violent democracy related protests like Taksim square in Istanbul and the center of Cairo, 80% of the city still functions as normal (I base this on talking to friends living in both cities at the time)

The trouble started in 2011 when the army were ordered in by indicted murder suspects Abhisit Vejjajiva and his right wing thug - henchman Suthep Thaugsuban. to assassinate the Red Shirt leader Seh Daeng and then ordered the army to clear the area using high calibre Thai Army weaponry, to which the Reds responded with a couple of farmers hunting rifles. over 90 people were murdered, several in the sanctuary of a Buddhist Wat. Until then it had been a peaceful protest and many tourists were turning up to view the barricades - a friend of mine did just that- he described the atmosphere was 'unthreatening'. The Ruling Elites henchmen are the ones the OP needs to worry about. They are the ones that wish to disrupt the democratic process because it doesn't suit their arrogant right wing agenda.

• Like 2

Thanks for the recollection, Lakegeneve.

Latest reports say that the samsen protest is going to spread out into other areas tomorrow, but no one is saying exactly where. Silom at midday could be one place as a group called green businessmen for democracy has called a protest meeting there. Also not known if the protesters will tempt fate and march on areas under the ISA - I think they might. Now it's a guessing game. The only thing that can defuse it is the meeting of PT tomorrow to assess the situation.

The trouble started in 2011 when the army were ordered in by indicted murder suspects Abhisit Vejjajiva and his right wing thug - henchman Suthep Thaugsuban. to assassinate the Red Shirt leader Seh Daeng and then ordered the army to clear the area using high calibre Thai Army weaponry, to which the Reds responded with a couple of farmers hunting rifles. over 90 people were murdered, several in the sanctuary of a Buddhist Wat. Until then it had been a peaceful protest and many tourists were turning up to view the barricades - a friend of mine did just that- he described the atmosphere was 'unthreatening'. The Ruling Elites henchmen are the ones the OP needs to worry about. They are the ones that wish to disrupt the democratic process because it doesn't suit their arrogant right wing agenda.

Passed through the area a few times. definitely non-threatening. It was reminiscent of many of the gatherings during the 60s, in the States.

Now, the yellow shirt blockade, around Government house, was another story. Very nasty atmosphere.

Actually, the trouble started in 2006 when Thaksin changed the laws to sell his telecom company.

In 2011, there was an election and some floods.

It was in 2010 that some unknown person assassinated Seh Daeng.

What would you use to clear protesters that were using grenades and high calibre Thai army weaponry against the authorities? I didn't realise that farmers used grenades for hunting. Some of those murdered were actually murdered by protesters.

I wouldn't call being searched when entering the protest area as "non-threatening".

• Like 1