What misconceptions did you have about Thailand before coming to live here?

A. BOOZER

I would think that I was not alone in having many misconceptions about Thailand and life here, before finally making the move.

What things both shocked, surprised and amazed you?

For me, I would say it was about learning the truth behind the smile.

Edited by A. BOOZER

That I would be treated fairly and equally as another human being and that the country was, atleast in part, civilised.

Man did I get that wrong ! and it was, and continues to be, a huge learning curve in sooooo many aspects.

• Like 2

As one who studied the teachings of the Buddha in the U.S, I was looking forward to living in a country that followed the Buddhist ways.

When I settled in I realized how far from reality my expectations were.

In the US you go to the Wat and there is silence when the Monks speak..any of the Monks.

Here, it is a social event where it is difficult to even hear the person speaking over all the chit chat.

But my biggest disappointment is the lack of respect for life.

Most Thais that I know will kill anything that moves, food or not.

They seem to enjoy killing.

Not harming, causing pain or killing is the aspect of Buddhism that is probably most important to me.

My expectation of a Buddhist attitude in a Buddhist country was my biggest misconception.

• Like 2

I realised that 90% of the "insights" on this forum regarding the people (the women in particular) and their attitudes was absolute <deleted> and provided by the type of men that I wouldn't dream of speaking to let alone associate with back home in Great Britain.

That a disproportionate percentage of those men hailed from Great Britain, however, came as no surprise whatsoever.

• Like 2

regarding OP's post about misconceptions and shocks:

- Thailand is much less "third world" than I was told by western media

- Thailand is much safer than I expected

- people are much friendlier than I expected

- people are much cleaner than I expected

- it is much easier to get things done /do things than expected, I have a feeling of pushing the right buttons with people

- there is much more personal freedom than I expected, one is "in the driver seat"

- the whole girl relationships thing is so much different and so much better

- the amount of litter on the beaches is shocking

- bad smells were shocking, but I guess I got used to them "men kee" 555

Pretty much what I thought except the bad smells. I rarely encounter bad smells, apart from my wife cooking graprow ... that really is disgusting.

Hmmm.

Yeah, the "truth" behind the smile. Sure. I went through the stupid tourist phase as well.

I guess there are lots.

I had been under the impression Thailand was a lot more LIBERAL than it actually is.

I was surprised to learn about the harsh anti-pot laws, Thai prudishness on the beach, sex toys being illegal, etc.

Also I figured most Thais liked Thai food spicier than me but actually I like Thai food spicier than most Thais ...

Edited by Jingthing

I realised that 90% of the "insights" on this forum regarding the people (the women in particular) and their attitudes was absolute <deleted> and provided by the type of men that I wouldn't dream of speaking to let alone associate with back home in Great Britain.

That a disproportionate percentage of those men hailed from Great Britain, however, came as no surprise whatsoever.

As forum members are generally white men living for the first time in a mainly coloured society, it's hardly surprising you don't share our insights. While also true that I suspect I wouldn't have associated with you in the UK, I find many of my previous prejudices have fallen away after living for a while with a mixture of races, myself being in the minority for a change.

As forum members are generally white men living for the first time in a mainly coloured society, it's hardly surprising you don't share our insights. While also true that I suspect I wouldn't have associated with you in the UK, I find many of my previous prejudices have fallen away after living for a while with a mixture of races, myself being in the minority for a change.

Well I wasn't referring to race but if you wanna bring it down to that level, the insights I mentioned aren't the sole preserve of white males.

I'm sure there are more than a few non-white Westerners who share them.

I learned that Thais are not the all friendly, accepting, unprejudiced, happy with little, true peaceful Buddhist, considerate, smiling people that I first saw them to be.

And I thought I would see/meet many friendly farangs here, happy to be able to live in this 'paradise' and therefore visibly happier than in their own country.

But I guess they learned the same as me.

smile.png

I could add positives, but you asked about misconceptions, so.

As one who studied the teachings of the Buddha in the U.S, I was looking forward to living in a country that followed the Buddhist ways.

When I settled in I realized how far from reality my expectations were.

In the US you go to the Wat and there is silence when the Monks speak..any of the Monks.

Here, it is a social event where it is difficult to even hear the person speaking over all the chit chat.

But my biggest disappointment is the lack of respect for life.

Most Thais that I know will kill anything that moves, food or not.

They seem to enjoy killing.

Not harming, causing pain or killing is the aspect of Buddhism that is probably most important to me.

My expectation of a Buddhist attitude in a Buddhist country was my biggest misconception.

Is it any different to how Christians behave in a Christian country?

I thought I'd meet lots of happy normal farangs.

With you on that one. I thought I'd meet foreigners that would appreciate living in a country with nice climate, great food, beautiful scenery, decent infrastructure (at least compared to Vietnam, where I lived for 15 years), some of the best food in the world, cheap beer, beautiful women (sexist, but true).

Boy, was I wrong!!!!!!!

Uhm, don't think that's what Mr Weston was lamenting …

• Like 1

I did a lot of research online before I ever set foot in Thailand. (I'd never been to anywhere in SE Asia before). Places on the internet like ThaiVisa.

After all I'd read, when it was time to leave the UK, boy, was I prepared for the very worst.

So once I'd arrived, and I started to find my way round, I was actually relieved ... even pleasantly surprised.

But, for sure, Thailand is no bed of roses - so I'm glad I was so cautious in my early days here.

Didnt know much, so I had no idea what to think.

The first thing which amazed me was how easy complete strangers can engage in a chat here.

Talk to a stranger in the west, for no particular reason, and you are looked upon a Psycho.

With you on that one. I thought I'd meet foreigners that would appreciate living in a country with nice climate, great food, beautiful scenery, decent infrastructure (at least compared to Vietnam, where I lived for 15 years), some of the best food in the world, cheap beer, beautiful women (sexist, but true).

Boy, was I wrong!!!!!!!

yes the beer is crap and expensive

• Like 2

Boy, was I wrong!!!!!!!

yes the beer is crap and expensive

Expensive? You obviously haven't lived in the Middle East. I do actually like Chang but even a draft IPA in BKK is cheaper than a can of Heineken (talk about crap beer) in Dubai.

I had heard that some people (the simple kind of person) thought that "The Land Of Smiles" and the fact Thai's smile a lot meant they are somehow different to any other human on the planet...

Twas only when I found this forum did I start to believe it :)

This forum also taught me that some people are shocked to find its not the case.... Idiots to say the least (in my humble opinion)