500 Baht fine for Fake Watch Vendor who stabbed a German on Pattaya Beach

webfact

500 baht fine for a violent, armed attack on a 70 year old for an accidental street bump?.

Utter idiocy!

So much for the supposed ingrained Thai respect for elders...

I see this as a disturbing trend; a Thai has a bad day and takes it out on a tourist. Sort of like a badge of honor as in Assult a tourist, pay a small cash fine, and walk away with your head high. This fake watch seller is showing the world that 500 baht means nothing to him, well worth the face he gained among his fellow thugs, not to mention the cop smiling approvingly.

Scary man...

Maybe the Thai respect for elders doesn't include 70 year old foreigners with 20 year old Thai girlfriends??coffee1.gif

Wonder why?

Why are you always making snide remarks, regarding older men having younger wives,g/f. Did you loose a g/f to an older guy and now you cannot get over it?. Or could it be that you are either jealouse of the older men or more likely impotent?.

"Maybe the Thai respect for elders doesn't include 70 year old foreigners with 20 year old Thai girlfriends"

Anyone living and especially working in Pattaya near ws and br should not even notice 70 yo farangs with 20 yo girls anymore, that is like "wallpaper". Seems some of the low level locals (and theres lots of them) don't mind criminality. A local lawyer friend told me the penalties for assault are way too light and those for financial crimes are often way too severe. International social media will be much more damning than the fine.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News like this needs to be posted and shown worldwide so that this government is pressured to do more against people who commit these crimes. The PM goes on and on about the governments dedication to the safety of tourists, and cutting down on corruption; when she's traveling and talking in front of other leaders. But it's all just smoke and mirrors to drag more people over and drain their wallets..

I wonder whether the tourist in question was present at the hearing? It is no wild suggestion that he was not available and that the police will have taken a significant sum to alter his statement.

More of these incidents will certainly deter visitors, thus diminishing the potential take from the administration of illegal activity. The police here love crime, car accidents etc. The reason why they do absolutely nothing about crime prevention or road safety is because it is not in their interest.

500 baht fine for a violent, armed attack on a 70 year old for an accidental street bump?.

Utter idiocy!

What happened to the rest of the watch vendor gang?

Some days ago 6-8 of them attack a Russian tourist cos he didn't want to buy a watch bah.gif

19 year old thai armed with a knife against a 70 year old German, COWARD is the only explanation, at least he didn't lose his face in the battle.

Too bad the German wasn't able to beat the sh1t out of him sad.png

Fortunately, l am now in Cambodia. The true country of smiles. Unlike the country which claims that slogan in their advertising. The latter is simply a joke and rapidly going into decline

According to smartraveler.gov.au you made the correct choice.

Their advice for Cambodia: Exercise normal safety precautions.

Their advice for Thailand: Exercise a high degree of caution.

Caution indeed!

• Like 1

The man who stabbed the foreigner is too stupid to realize that the reason he is selling knock-off watches and looks like a poor, degenerate scumbag is because his own police, government and elite keep him oppressed so that he has to resort to a life of crime, and cannot afford a bar of soap, or some newer clothes, a comb and deoderant

I understand your point but I don't ever see the poor Thais waking up to the obvious. In the mean time, they are easily led and manipulated to serve the interests of the powerful.

• Like 2

Utter idiocy!

So much for the supposed ingrained Thai respect for elders...

I see this as a disturbing trend; a Thai has a bad day and takes it out on a tourist. Sort of like a badge of honor as in Assult a tourist, pay a small cash fine, and walk away with your head high. This fake watch seller is showing the world that 500 baht means nothing to him, well worth the face he gained among his fellow thugs, not to mention the cop smiling approvingly.

Scary man...

Maybe the Thai respect for elders doesn't include 70 year old foreigners with 20 year old Thai girlfriends??coffee1.gif

Wonder why?

There's no evidence that the man has a twenty year old girlfriend, unless you want to sterotype of course!

And even if he did its not a reason to stab him..............does this mean however we can stab a street watch vendor for 1000 baht or maybe 2000 with the double pricing here??? I think one brave member should try this and see what happens!!

And they wonder why crime keeps rising. Penalties like this are hardly a deterrent.

500 baht fine for armed assault with "intent" to cause injury.. hardly going to stop street crime in it's tracks & send a message to scammers that tourists are best left alone!

But then again.. an amnesty bill for all crimes committed over the last 10 years for politicians (and those who have fled) is hardly going to send the right message to the whole of Thailand!!!

The judicial system (if you can call it that) or even the Thai system as a whole is beyond belief.

did they test him for yaabaa? I was attacked in pattaya tai for no reason last night, and I had a difficult time calming down a couple of boys on yaabaa at the beach who thought I had an opinion about them, the nice thing is that another thai has tendered my wounds, sadly the place is in a state of anarchy and if most Thais werent so good hearted it would be a lot worse.

and i agree with the comments, the fine is a joke, go punch a farang for 500b, I was attacked right in front of some police in walking street a few years back and they told me the guy was mafia and they couldnt touch him.....<deleted>?

Edited by wwex

Hope it was the nasty old German that lives in our Complex. Filthy mouth, always

drinking and putting down the Thais and Russians. If it was this guy, I'll pay the

500B fine for the Thai guy.

This whole discussion is about a rotten morals and shameless crimes yet you support it....how can you approve that someone gets stabbed? Yes some old farts is annoying, so stab him? WTH?

Utter idiocy!

Welcome to Thailand where the crime is against one of you farang.

Wonder if the German would have been fined 500b if he stabbed a Thai. :rolleyes:

Never forget what this society thinks of you.

Utter idiocy!

Welcome to Thailand where the crime is against one of you farang.

Wonder if the German would have been fined 500b if he stabbed a Thai. rolleyes.gif

Never forget what this society thinks of you.

I hope that Karma will do it´s job on Thailand one day. Whenever i read such a topic i want to bite my in desk. Yes, there are crime against foreigners in our home countries, yes there is some white trash wandering around in Thailand. But to beat, stab, rob and murder them as a daily basis while singing "khon thai ben khon dee" seems unique to this rotten place......

• Like 1

It is almost always a 500 baht fine when a thai assaults a foreigner. The severity of the assault does not seem to matter. This also explains why some thais now seem to assault tourists just for fun, they know there is no risk to them, even if they get caught.

That's true. However, there is an alternative. The miscreant can be sent to court if the victim insists and has a hospital report.

I was mildly assaulted some time ago and reported the incident to the police. The Lt Col in charge insisted that I go to Banglamung Hospital and get a medical report so that the case could be sent to court. I was tired and just wanted to go home. The Lt Col urged me to get the report and asked me to wait while he prepared a form to present to the hospital. Cost of the report was 200 baht. All in all, a long drawn out process but it sends a message to the assailant that he can't pounce on people and get away with it for 500 baht. Of course that only works with a resident who is prepared to see the process through.

If more people were aware of this alternative and prepared to pursue it we might see some impact on the lawlessness in this town.

• Like 2

The law in the UK is if you carry a knife it's 5 years in the monkey house.

You will read in the few week the same man has killed some foreigner as he thinks he can get away with it.

It is not something "he thinks he can get away with". numerous news stories over the years has proven that "he can get away with it".