How to 'brake in' a new bike? (ninja300)

Marcel1

Last week got my new Ninja300 with who I am very happy together. but since this was my first new big bike i've read a lot of info. Most I read was to let the engine work a bit, differecens in rpm's etc. etc. So for the first 100 km I drove like I normally would.

yesterday I came with the bright idea of downloading a english manual for the bike in which I read that in the first 800 km you're not allowed to go over 4000 rpm. I drove mine multiple times around the 7 or 8000 with sometimes 12.000 cause I thought this would be part of the change rpm idea.

what is you guys experience on this? do I have to worry about later or is it not a big deal?

Everyone says different thing. When I got my cbr 500 staff said dont go over 5000 rps or 120 kph for first 1000 km. When I came back to service bike head engineer siad dont go over 7000rpm. I actually did go to 8000 quite a few time the temptation was just too great lol.

You will see some people preferring soft brake-in while other recommend hard one (ride it like you stole it). Some will prefer hard brake in but instead of going for 1000 km service they will do it at 500-700 km instead.

It is really up to you. If you want to be on a slightly safer side go for soft one as manual recommends, but it will be hard not to crank up a bit;)

I break my bikes in somewhat close to the manufacturer's recommendation- I figure they're the ones who designed it and will have to repair it under warranty if anything goes wrong, so they probably have a good idea of what's necessary to avoid early engine issues.

IMHO, the most important thing you can do is a very early (500km or less) oil change (I changed the oil and filter on my current bike at 250km)- a new engine can create small slivers of metal early on, and you want to get them out of there as soon as possible.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

There is a theory about high load cycling to bed in the rings but it has to be done immediately. So having driven 100kms it is too late for that. Just ride normally but don't stay at the same speed or RPM for long periods etc.

• Like 1

What for engine to get to running temp.

Go through the gears from low rpm to high, then engine break back down. A highway at night is good for this.

Stop. Let the engine cool down for 10 mins.

Repeat a few times.

The oil being at running temp and not sitting at one rpm like a highway cruise would be the main thing. Change the oil and filter after 150km.

Modern engine don't need the break in they did 40 years ago.

I agree with the follow the instrusions crowd, and I always did that with the bikes I bought new and they performed very well/to specs.

OP it you have been trashing it don't worry too much but as others also mention change oil/filter asap.

@Marcel1 you've done it right, read here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've seen that link posted dozens of times, but not much to back it up from other people in the industry.

If you click on a few of his other pages and read some of his thoughts and opinions, you might come to the realization that 'MotoMan' is more than a bit nuts.;)

No matter what machine, the lubrication is it's blood. The better the blood the better it will enhance longevity. Me, don't take any notice of the book except change oil well before they say. But, up to you, a bike oil change doesn't cost much, so no problem.

If new, do not open her up violently until at least 1000km after a few oil changes. smile.png

Thanks so far.. I guess ill just take it abit more easy from now on, not exactly according the book but along the lines. the first oil change will be at 250km sure

If it is in the classified section in a couple of months you know the outcome :)

What for engine to get to running temp.

Go through the gears from low rpm to high, then engine break back down. A highway at night is good for this.

Stop. Let the engine cool down for 10 mins.

Repeat a few times.

The oil being at running temp and not sitting at one rpm like a highway cruise would be the main thing. Change the oil and filter after 150km.

Modern engine don't need the break in they did 40 years ago.

Yingo,

You have to do this immediately not after 100 Kms. Too late!

The OP should have asked the question first then bought the bike but...

Like cars, the ones that are driven by reps and serviced routinely usually go the best. For a reason.

No I did not really searched the forum since I asked also a question related specificly to my actions with my bike besides that is the topic you refer to about a year old and who knows which proffessionals joined this forum in the meantime?

If you see no reason to reply because you have read it before than don't

• Like 1

@Marcel1 you've done it right, read here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

that's the best way to break in.

I'll come back in 10 pages time. rolleyes.gif

Shouldn't be long.

OP, common sense, not too hard, not too soft, let it warm up before you ride, varied RPMs (rev up then engine break back down in different gears (for the first few kms), don't let the engine get too hot stop and letit cool down, change the oil and filter early.

It was built in 2013, not 1963, a lot of the old processes will be almost redundant.

Finally, enjoy riding it.

Edited by yingyo
  • Like 1

Keeping a baby Ninja under 4000rpms is almost impossible. I know as I have one.

Marcel, you have done exactly what I did, going through the gears, engine breaking etc let it cool down and repeat. I guess this is considered the hard break in.

I'm at 5000km now and it runs great. I wouldn't worry about it too much now, just ride it how you want. Like others have said, get your oil changed early and then you are good to go.

I have a friend who works for a major car company and he says that all engines are red lined and tested rigorously (ie thrashed) before you buy it. Now I don't know if this is done for motorcycle engines but he believes that they would be no different.

No I did not really searched the forum since I asked also a question related specificly to my actions with my bike besides that is the topic you refer to about a year old and who knows which proffessionals joined this forum in the meantime?

If you see no reason to reply because you have read it before than don't

so you say you dont know what does a forum mean and how to post.

I did the hard break in method, 100kms with the full rev range, never staying on one rev for too long (e.g. going like an idiot with lots of acceleration and engine braking), then changing the oil. After that I was pretty careless, just whipping that poor engine.

At 33,000 kms, the engine broke, hole in the engine etc.

Do I know for sure that was because I didn't follow the manufacturer recommendations? No. But the second time around, with an all new engine, I followed the manual to the t: First 500kms less than 4,000 RPM, then no more than 6k until 1000kms, then oil change.

I learned that staying in the low rev range in the beginning is a pretty good way to learn your engine, and to learn how to shift (a lot). With the Versys the top speed at 6th gear @ 4,000 RPM is 86 kph. So in the city, I was fine and able to ride normally except with a whole lot more shifting. On the highway, I was in the left lane like an idiot getting passed by Honda Waves and even CBX 500s... tongue.png )

My recommendation is to stay with the manual. Just take a day tour around the mountains if you want to get to the fun part faster....

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

Whether bike, car or any machine, it is a machine. I don't care to much about the book stuff, just use it as a guide and reduce their KM and oil change or rpm advice. Crap from manufacture is present, don't care what they say. Treat the machine with respect until one is sure of cleanliness and happy metal. smile.png

Moto man Has the right idea. It depends what you want. If you want a grandmas bike drive it slow & steady . If you want a racing bike as Vocal Neil pointed out to not keep it at any particular rev band for to long. And the critical time is right in the beginning. All RACE motors when the engines are assembled & tested are rapped up to get all the parts seated in The best possible rate of power within the first 5 minutes of running. Quick acceleration to near rev limit & backed off repeated 3 times. When on the road the bike should be quickly accelerated for short bursts to get the engine used to quick off the line response. It just dogs the engine to break it in to slow. You wind up with a grannies motor. When I worked for Harley-VW- BMW& Porsche the break in off the bench for an engine was all the same. Hit it & quit it 3 times. Working for NHRA or superstock the race engines are put through grueling amounts of Revs. If it is going to blow better early than to suffer a car that will never win a race. If it is a scooter or lets say a Honda Phantom or Kawasaki boss it will make very little difference as they are not going to get any quicker since they are not a race bike. A 300 Ninja I would run it hard & change oil at 250 miles or the equivalent in kilos than at 500 kilos next at 1000 etc. Oil is cheap & in the beginning is when you will get the most metal filings in the oil best to change it before the recommended. Better safe than sorry. My bike 650ER6n was broke in as a race bike from the start. A bud I ride with has the same year - but he broke his in like an old lady & it shows. We have swapped rides & he agrees mine is faster not only off the line but is faster on the top end as well. Same equipment except mine has stock exhaust & his is a akropovic full system. His should be slightly faster but do to lame brake in mine is quicker & stronger. I wouldn't advise screaming top revs but change the revs around & whatever you do do not dog the Ninja.

• Like 2

^ @beardog, how did you break it in correctly then?

It's a bit difficult riding from the dealership to a place where you could be silly.... did you put it on a truck and drive it somewhere, or break it in on a dyno?

What I did is I went from the dealer to canal road, but that's already 10km where you can't really rev it all that much because there's city traffic and such.

Also how many km does your ER6 have on it? If it's faster but breaks after 33,000 km then not worth it IMO. And that's not something a race driver would be concerned with. They don't have 'em that long.

I am interested as I am going to get a new bike soon... ;)

When I worked for Harley-VW- BMW& Porsche the break in off the bench for an engine was all the same. Hit it & quit it 3 times.

The break-in period recommended by Porsche is notoriously long- 2000mi/3200km and a 4000rpm rev limit.

Here's an explanation from their own engineering department- what they have to say is true for any high-performance engine, be it car or motorcycle:

http://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/

^ Thanks, this is a good read. I think I'll stick with the factory recommendations from now on. Chances are the factory knows a thing or two about its own engines...