When Villagers Mass for Attack

EBlair48

^^ Only in Thailand are you 20% at fault when you get hit in the rear by a speeding 13 yo kid because "that's how they drive." Is it a relative of anything bad that happens is our fault-something to do with we "shouldn't be here?" .

In a no passing zone, he was showing off to the friends how fast and how close he can cut it. Well he cut it all right, but did he learn a lesson? Probably not.

From your description you were not hit in the rear. You stated the bike went down the side of your car. But OK!

Did you learn a lesson?

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

Ye

I didn't see them hit me , as I was in the car facing front, but as they hit my tailight, it's a safe bet they hit me from the rear, trying to swerve to the right, presumably going too fast for the conditions, I would think is the official cause of the accident. The brat then scraped up the right side with presumably the foot peg slicing opening the rear tire putting a nasty chink in the rim ( which is OK and holds a seal ) and denting ,scraping and otherwise damaging up the entire quarter panel. They knocked the side mirror bacwards, too. but the electric adjust still functions.

I was to meet the father at the new Toyota dealership in Thalang at 11 AM on Friday . At 11;30 I called and he actually expected me to wait until 2 PM so not sure how to take that -I notice Thais seem to think it's OK to stand people up, or being an hour late is no big deal Is this more of their oh- so- charming, gracious natures?

^ Thanks for that

Well went for scenic cruise and met him later, but the new Talang dealership body shop isn't operating yet so we went on a little trip to a couple of other places, none of which wanted to do the work. ( He has a sign in his rear window -I swear " Crazy Driver" )

Yesterday went a shop to change the new tire to the old rim (yeah spending too much time on this, too ) They knew a guy, short distance away and he was very reasonable, and seemed maybe I'll just go ahead and get the car re painted. after I get back from Christmas holiday.

Third incident damaging this car in a month. Had another incident a few weeks ago when a grass cutter had a rock fly up and break my rear quarter window, damn lucky it didn't get my face, or eye as no ac in the car, drive w windows down.

Week before my car port roof collapsed and a beam cracked the same taillight I now have to replace

These parts are plentiful and cheap back home so I'll just bring them back.

Maybe I shouldn't paint it, on second thought, it's a cruel world for little cars in Phuket , no matter how careful you are.

I understand how the OP feels, but do not agree with him.

He should calm down and consider himself very lucky.

This is Thailand.

1) Very lucky the police did not blame you.." If you stayed in your own country this would not have happened"

2) Lucky the mob did not take the matter into their own hands before the police arrived.

3) Lucky the mob and police didn't both turn on you when you started with the potty mouth!

Has the OP been in Thailand long?

Does he understand anything about the Thai mentality?

As stated above, I understand how he feels, but disagree with his attitude.

Choke Dee! and use your mirrors!

^ Use my mirrors, more of my fault reasoning? They were driving too fast , too close and frankly, deserved to be hit. I'm not sure I would have sacrificed the car's undercarriage to them, anyway.

l I also cannot say I can agree allowing myself to be victimized when I'm in the right , is the right thing to do, anywhere.

Maybe it's this kind of attitude that has allowed deplorable behavior toward foreigners to fester and proliferate.

As I said , plenty of bad language on part of the crowd before hand. Bad language , aggressive posturing , all designed to make me drive off, I suppose? Inexcusable behavior. They are hillbillies, on par of The Deliverance . Appalachian inbreds. Disgusting.

Tomorrow I'm taking a lawyer to the cops to sign whatever it is that needs to be signed. That kid isn't charged accordingly, I won't accept any settlement.

Edited by EBlair48

F****** a****** !!

I'm not sure what country you come from, or what your level of education is, but for a British, educated person like me, using the F word is a minor level below using the C word. It is extremely rude and certainly will incite scorn and disdain and potential violence from any Thai person towards you.

Are you American, by any chance??

Simon

You definitely have not been watching the BBC lately.,..and yes I have heard the C word on it too.

You came here a while ago. Attitudes change Simon.

F****** a****** !!

I'm not sure what country you come from, or what your level of education is, but for a British, educated person like me, using the F word is a minor level below using the C word. It is extremely rude and certainly will incite scorn and disdain and potential violence from any Thai person towards you.

Are you American, by any chance??

Simon

You definitely have not been watching the BBC lately.,..and yes I have heard the C word on it too.

You came here a while ago. Attitudes change Simon.

+1

Stephen Fry even uses it! He read at Cambridge, dont you know!

Its a word, nothing more and all this low brow/hollier than thou bashing has become ridiculous. If you can speak & understand Thai, you would be amazed at how they speak about farang!

If you can speak & understand Thai, you would be amazed at how they speak about farang!

Yes I read, wriote and speak Thai (studied for my MA in Thai at Chulalongkorn). Also read, write and speak Lao, plus some Burmese, Arabic, Farsi and of course French, German, Italian and Spanish. I was a Masters student from UCL, London, don't you know.

I can assure you that no Thai speaks badly about me. And whilst the F word may be common-speak for you, it is definitely not in my vocabularly when dealing with incidents, even when I am 100% in the right. A cool head and patience is a better policy, especially when dealing with hillbillies or Appalachian inbreds.

Toodlepip :)

Simon

• Like 1

If you can speak & understand Thai, you would be amazed at how they speak about farang!

Yes I read, wriote and speak Thai (studied for my MA in Thai at Chulalongkorn). Also read, write and speak Lao, plus some Burmese, Arabic, Farsi and of course French, German, Italian and Spanish. I was a Masters student from UCL, London, don't you know.

I can assure you that no Thai speaks badly about me. And whilst the F word may be common-speak for you, it is definitely not in my vocabularly when dealing with incidents, even when I am 100% in the right. A cool head and patience is a better policy, especially when dealing with hillbillies or Appalachian inbreds.

Toodlepip smile.png

Simon

Congratulations - careful of that halo now.....

Toodlepip smile.png

Simon

Congratulations - careful of that halo now.....

Ahhhhh his real name is Simon Templar is it?

• Like 1

What should a driver do? Watch his mirrors more than the road ahead?

I agree with the OP.

I'm with the OP as well regarding the accident.

But it sounds like he made things worse for himself after the accident.

• Like 1

i was driving down a country lane a while ago, in my vigo, and as i came round a corner, a guy on a motorbike pulled out into the road from the left from in front of a parked car at a road side market. i swerved into the right lane and braked to avoid him but for some insane reason, he just kept coming towards me, crossing the left lane and into the right lane as i was trying to pass him and he drive straight into the side of my truck. there is no way on this planet anyone could say it was anything other than his fault, he came right at me and i had no more space on the road to avoid him but somehow the onlookers look pretty angry to me.

anyhow, after a brief stop and check that the guy wasn't too badly messed up, i just got out of there ASAP, after all, its always the farangs fault, if the farang wasn't there, there wouldn't have been an accident.

Edited by stevehaigh
  • Like 1

I agree with the OP.

actually, on my bike i usually do watch the mirrors more than the road ahead because its the douche bag that gets you from behind that's going to kill you around here, not the one in front

• Like 1

I agree with the OP.

If you had passed a driving test they teach you to look in your mirrors regularly. I would also say if driving on a narrow road in Thailand and moving over to or across the centre line a perfect example of when to check you mirror. You do this to safeguard your self as well as others.

as I said it was 80% the others fault and the Op is justified in trying to claim damages.

But a simple check of the mirror and a dab of brake could have alleviated that.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

<snip>

anyhow, after a brief stop and check that the guy wasn't too badly messed up, i just got out of there ASAP, after all, its always the farangs fault, if the farang wasn't there, there wouldn't have been an accident.

Simply not true, an urban myth spread around on the internet. In case of an accident have the police come and for you very important: your insurance guy. The insurance will not want to pay if they don't have to, so if you're not the blame they are your best defense.

• Like 1

It's called 'protestocracy'. When the social underpinnings to support a real democracy and rule of law are too deeply compromised, this is the inevitable result. And in this country it can be found top-to-bottom, from nursery schools right up to the highest echelons of [so-called] government -- just look at the Amnesty Bill protests.

That part of the island has a history of such protests, such as the protests at Ban Kor En. I've been in similar situations and it is not a nice place to be, to say the least.

It seems to me that the OP was seeking some sympathy after enduring a highly traumatic event. He has mine, for whatever it might be worth.

• Like 1