Six dead as tourist ferry sinks off Pattaya resort

webfact

When a disaster like this happens, in most civilized countries, except perhaps North Korea, China, Yemen, Cuba and Thailand, an investigation is launched, and the people responsible are brought to justice. Normally either the captain, or some of the principals of the company would be held responsible. Or perhaps the chief mechanic, in this instance? Obviously there was faulty equipment. Obviously the boat was overloaded. The company, the captain, and/or the directors of the company chose profit over safety. Will they be held accountable for this? No. Why? Because this is Thailand. The land of non-responsibility. It is the responsibility of the average Thai to not take responsibility, and to shed blame, and never to take blame. If the government ever decides to behave like the civilized government of a civilized society, the first thing they will do is completely reform the police, and the judiciary from the ground up, and build both organizations into functional organizations that work for the benefit of society. Right now, all they are doing is consuming valuable resources, without giving anything back to society. Ask any Thai. They will confirm this. Ask any Thai or foreigner "when was the last time you benefitted from the services of the police, or the courts?", and chances are they will tell you never.

The ruling elites of Thailand have used nationalism as a means to control the citizens. A "good "citizen of Thailand smiles and honors who he should; little else. It is about cultural narcissism as a form of patriotism so they will know who to fear and exclude; for the interest of these same elites. Being Thai or Thainess has never been about quality or responsibility; it is about flag waving, chest thumping, totally corruptable characters, heroic myths and falsified history for the pleasure of the masses. Can you imagine an advert for a quality Thai watch or superior Thai education? Thainess is what those in power shape it to be. Right now it is in their interests for Thais to be irresponsible, stupid and corrupt so that they will forgive irresponsible, corrupt and stupid decisions by those in charge.

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First it was 50 passengers, then 150, now we are told at least 209 on a boat licensed for 150,

Then they say the cause was an engine failure that resulted in all the passengers moving to one side of the boat, thus causing the boat to capsize. Typical Thai's, nobody is prepared to take responsibility.

farang did it!!

On Pattaya's main pier it was business as usual Monday for the operators of double-decker wooden ferries preparing to take tourists out on day cruises.

"After an accident like this the boats should be grounded for checks but today they are all running," said a European working in the city's marine tourism industry who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"The boats are very old. There's no maintenance. They are always overcrowded... there's no head count."

says it all really, nether the police or mayor or government or boat mafia gives a toss, only quick money runs Pattaya

So what, life comes to a stand still after every accident? I guess any remaining day-trippers left on larn were to be left stranded there for the nite. I haven't heard of any other ferry sinkings subsequent to this tragic event so why inconvenience everyone with your silly suggestions.
This wasn't an accident, it was manslaughter. The first thing the police should do is secure the scene of the crime and that includes stopping all tourist boat traffic with immediate effect. Operations can restart when real safety is put in place. Better inconvenienced than dead.

Like I said, no reports of any more deaths subsequent to the initial tragedy. Most people want to get on with life.

I am a sailor I have lived 8 years on my own boat as my sole home, I am very well aware of the danger at sea (henceforth the regulations) here is a picture of the boat that sank, nowhere in a westen country that would be allowed, when I see this picture as a seafarer I am simply scared to death for those people on board !

You scare easily...to me, it looks like allot of people having a fun trip on a boat on their vacation. Ok, so there has been an accident, possibly due to negligence, but how many tens or hundreds of thousands of tourists have used the ferries without incident? Getting up in the morning is risky as you may slip on the floor and break your leg...it's a question of balancing risk and reward.

Terror at sea as Thai tourist ferry sinks
by Aidan JONES

PATTAYA, November 4, 2013 (AFP) - Thai rescuers Monday recounted frantic efforts to pluck terrified survivors from the sea after a crowded tourist ferry sank, leaving six dead including three foreigners, as police searched for the captain who fled.

The tragedy raised new questions about safety standards in the kingdom, which drew a record 22 million tourists last year but is struggling to shake off a reputation for lax regulation.

Three Thais, one person from Hong Kong and two other unidentified foreigners were among the dead, according to officials in the tourist resort of Pattaya, around 150 kilometres (100 miles) southeast of Bangkok.

The double-decker ferry sank on Sunday afternoon near Koh Larn, a small island popular with day-trippers from Pattaya, a popular beach resort renowned for its racy nightlife.

"The boat went down in minutes. I saw people -- some with life jackets, some without -- in the water. One man was holding on to a gas cylinder. There was a body face down in the water. They were all panicking, shouting for help," said a local dive guide who was one of the first on the scene.

"We pulled 60 people from the water, including a Russian boy. We gave him CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) but he was in a very bad way," she said, asking not to be named.

Police said that apart from the six dead, all of the 150-200 others on the boat -- including many Russians -- were believed to have been rescued. Nineteen people were injured.

"We don't expect to find any more dead. One Russian boy is seriously ill in intensive care," said Pattaya police chief Colonel Suwarn Chiewnawintawat.

"The captain ran away. We will issue an arrest warrant for him," he said. "Divers will recover the boat today. We still don't know the cause."

Stunned tourists were seen being led to safety on shore on Sunday where they were met by dozens of ambulances along Pattaya's neon-lit beachfront. Medics performed emergency first aid on injured passengers.

Accidents involving boats, buses and other forms of public transport are common in Thailand, where safety standards are generally poor.

"We still don't know the reason for the accident. I am not sure if there are more dead or not, because we don't know how many people were on the boat," said Thai rescue diver Suttipong Boonmachai.

"Today we are going to recover the boat. We will use underwater detection equipment," he told AFP on Pattaya's main pier.

A local boat captain who witnessed the tragedy recounted throwing life jackets to passengers in the water.

"I saw 100 people -- most of them foreigners -- in the water," he said. "I threw 50 life jackets into the water. There was one man, he was not breathing. We pulled him out of the water."

On Pattaya's main pier it was business as usual Monday for the operators of double-decker wooden ferries preparing to take tourists out on day cruises.

"After an accident like this the boats should be grounded for checks but today they are all running," said a European working in the town's marine tourism industry, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"The boats are very old. There's no maintenance. They are always overcrowded... there's no head count."

In recent years the kingdom's tourist-friendly image as the "Land of Smiles" has also been tarnished by political violence, crimes against foreigners and devastating floods, but visitor numbers continue to rise.

Diplomats from China and the European Union have voiced concern at the number of incidents involving their tourists.

In May more than 100 people were rescued from a tourist ferry which began to sink in rough seas near the tourist island of Phuket.

Two Chinese tourists were killed and several others injured in August when a speedboat in which they were travelling crashed in Pattaya.

Last month an Indian woman died when a boat propeller struck her head while she was parasailing on her honeymoon in the same resort.

Other high-profile safety incidents in the kingdom include a fire at a nightclub in August 2012 on the island of Phuket that left four people dead including two foreigners.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-04

Personal attack and quoted reply removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

Happens more often in the Philippines (many more islands). I had always thought about bringing two liters of water in plastic bottles. If no life jacket (these things sink in minutes) grab your water, drink as much as you can stomach, put the cap on and at least you have a bit of boyancy, if you don't flounder around. just put one each under your armpit. It works in a jam. Another tip....take off your pants (long jeans i hope) and tie the cuffs in a knot. Zipper it up and trap air in them. Twist the waist and voila.......a life preserver.

Yes it happens in the Phils often, but the water and Ferries are a way of life for Filipinos who are outside of Luzon. It is the same as those country folk heading back home to Lopburi, Udon, or Ubon at the end of the working week to be with their families. Safety standards are generally regulated in the Phils and there are substantial penalties for accidents from what I have seen. Although corrupt and morally warped by the demands of extremist Christianity from the Catholic Church of the Philippines, the country does care and does what it can to keep its' people safe at sea.

Not true. They are ranked very low in safety. I don't see religion has a bit to do with this or that....but here is a link that should enlighten...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23729996

I have just read all of the posts and, as expected, read lots of criticism and justifiable negative comments. I would like to add that over 95% were rescued, so at least be grateful for the rescue services capability. I saw many ambulances struggling to get through the traffic, not an easy thing to do.

How do you know that over 95% were rescued?

How do you know how many passengers were on board?

How do you know that what is being reported to the media is the truth and nothing but the truth?

How many critically injured in hospital fighting for their lives?

Over 200 people on board? What a tragedy. The first thing I do is grab a life jacket when on one of these ferries.

RIP

If requiring the boat to have life jackets at all, you can be sure that there would not have been more than 150, the passenger capacity, which leaves over 50 people without life jackets. The number on board will probalby also rise from 209?

Would any of you knowingly get on an overcrowed boat?

Would any of you demand to see your life jacket before you boarded?

When a disaster like this happens, in most civilized countries, except perhaps North Korea, China, Yemen, Cuba and Thailand, an investigation is launched, and the people responsible are brought to justice. Normally either the captain, or some of the principals of the company would be held responsible. Or perhaps the chief mechanic, in this instance? Obviously there was faulty equipment. Obviously the boat was overloaded. The company, the captain, and/or the directors of the company chose profit over safety. Will they be held accountable for this? No. Why? Because this is Thailand. The land of non-responsibility. It is the responsibility of the average Thai to not take responsibility, and to shed blame, and never to take blame. If the government ever decides to behave like the civilized government of a civilized society, the first thing they will do is completely reform the police, and the judiciary from the ground up, and build both organizations into functional organizations that work for the benefit of society. Right now, all they are doing is consuming valuable resources, without giving anything back to society. Ask any Thai. They will confirm this. Ask any Thai or foreigner "when was the last time you benefitted from the services of the police, or the courts?", and chances are they will tell you never.

Excellent post Mike, you worded, wrote it just the way it is.

Apart from all else that has been said there has been and will continue to be bedlam at the police station where a hundred or more passengers who might have lost all their belongings and cash are wishing to make reports, with many speaking little or no English. The Foreign Police Volunteers have mustered their Russian speakers but the pace of any queue is limited to how many Thai police inspectors are assigned to issue such reports. Then the question of proving that these people were indeed on that boat etc.etc. and how valid are their claims of lost items for insurance purposes etc. City Hall could have set up a special center to handle much of this but that is not evident at the moment.

Ferry driver suspended 6 months

BANGKOK: -- The Marine Department handed a 6-month suspension to the driver of the ferry which capsized in Pattaya.

Initially, it also ordered the ferry owner to pay Bt500,000 to each family of the passengers who lost their lives. The injured will receive Bt115,000 for medical expenses.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-04

Excellent post Mike, you worded, wrote it just the way it is.

Not quite,

Indonesia- Philippines are just as bad or even worse. The 2 Island countries have huge amounts of ferries on all shape and sizes and not a year goes by without accidents and people dies. I think the Philippines have the sad honor of the worst maritime disaster ever, even worse than the iconic Titanic disaster they are still making movies about.

Try Africa, same same.

I am a professional seaman myself and would not be afraid of going on a ferry here but will off-course take my precautions and stay a place where I can get out on free deck fast if needed.

Ferry driver suspended 6 months

BANGKOK: -- The Marine Department handed a 6-month suspension to the driver of the ferry which capsized in Pattaya.

Initially, it also ordered the ferry owner to pay Bt500,000 to each family of the passengers who lost their lives. The injured will receive Bt115,000 for medical expenses.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-11-04

A month for each life. That'll teach him.

Apart from all else that has been said there has been and will continue to be bedlam at the police station where a hundred or more passengers who might have lost all their belongings and cash are wishing to make reports, with many speaking little or no English. The Foreign Police Volunteers have mustered their Russian speakers but the pace of any queue is limited to how many Thai police inspectors are assigned to issue such reports. Then the question of proving that these people were indeed on that boat etc.etc. and how valid are their claims of lost items for insurance purposes etc. City Hall could have set up a special center to handle much of this but that is not evident at the moment.

Presume all at City Hall have more important things to do like "passing the buck" and ensuring none of the mud is going to stick on them...

Edited by Basil B

I was planning a trip to the island this weekend but I think I will cancel my plans now.

Why? If you go on the ordinary ferry, it usually doesn't have a problem with overloading ( that I have experienced ).

However, I'd take some sort of floatation device, just in case.

was this not the ordinary ferry?

I was planning a trip to the island this weekend but I think I will cancel my plans now.

Why? If you go on the ordinary ferry, it usually doesn't have a problem with overloading ( that I have experienced ).

No. The ordinary ferries do not have cabins.

The name of the boat, Kohlarn Tour, indicates to me that it is run by a private tour company, though I'm not familiar with the specific company or boat.

If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me so.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

No. The ordinary ferries do not have cabins.

The name of the boat, Kohlarn Tour, indicates to me that it is run by a private tour company, though I'm not familiar with the specific company or boat.

If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me so.

I agree with you. Judging by the undersea photo in this link, it does not look like a normal ordinary ferry boat.

It is not the same ferry , that is correct.

I know that ferry , I took it before to the other side of the island , ticket priice is 100-150 baht , not 30 baht.

So yes I will take the normal 30 baht ferry if there is enough life jackets to everyone , or else I will refuse to go.

It is not the same ferry , that is correct.

I know that ferry , I took it before to the other side of the island , ticket priice is 100-150 baht , not 30 baht.

So yes I will take the normal 30 baht ferry if there is enough life jackets to everyone , or else I will refuse to go.

You could always take your own flotation device. A few empty big water bottles in a carry bag with shoulder strap will keep you afloat till rescue arrives.

Never hurts here to assume there will be no safety equipment.

Anyone been on the rust buckets that masquerade as car ferries to Samui? Does anyone actually believe the life rafts would work?w00t.gif