฿800,000 proof remitted from abroad

When I did my first extension for retirement in Bangkok, I came with seasoned funds and a letter dated that day from SCB confirming ฿800,000 baht in my account. However, I was asked for proof that I had remitted the funds from abroad - the way you do if you are buying a condo. I went back to SCB who gave me a letter confirming ฿800,000 transferred from my Hong Kong HSBC bank. Back at immigration, I was told that this was unacceptable as I had transferred Thai Baht and that this did not count as a foreign remittance. I had a multi currency account in Hong Kong and figured it was better to know the conversion rate in Hong Kong rather that wait in hope for a better rate from SCB when the funds arrived. I did another transfer from Hong Kong, this time in HK$ and this time the notice of transfer paper was accepted, although it clearly had nothing to do with the funds in my SCB sitting there for 2 months.

I have just done my second extension this time in Jomtien, and nobody asked to see a proof of remittance.

I have read many posts on visas and have never seen anyone asked for proof of foreign remission. I was worried that I would have to bring a fresh ฿800,000 in each year.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Normally proof of funds transfer is only needed when doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa from a tourist visa or exempt entry.

I am glad the OP asked about this as I will probably go for a conversion of a visa waiver in January. Although I have enough in the bank most of the current funds came in as cash carried by me so no record of foreign funds transfer.

I have made previous transfers from abroad but the last one was just over 2 years ago. Could this be used to document the proof of foreign transfer or does it have to be a recent transfer?

If it makes any difference I am planning to do the conversion at the Jomtien office.

They may not ask for it if your funds have been in the bank for more than 60 days. Most reports for the funds transfer letter being needed was for Bangkok.

Thanks.

Supplementary question if I may and apologies to the OP -

Does it matter if the funds are in more than one bank and or account in the bank or banks?

This is a difficult and confusing issue for many prospective Retirement Visa aspirants. What can be a confusing issue for many foreign Thai Visa Retirement (extension) applicants as proof is when they are asked to show supporting evidence of the source of their funds which they must submit as proof of income

Their financial application must be acconpanied with the application needed to get a Retirement Visa or some other LT visa. Some applicants for example show bank superannuation deposits, or government pension deposits or rental income etc. but they are still required to show a letter from the contributing agency of the sourcing their income or deposits.

Edited by PlastikbinLina

This is a difficult and confusing issue for many prospective Retirement Visa aspirants. What s confusing issue for many foreign Thai Visa Retirement (extension) applicants is when they are asked to show supporting evidence of the source of funds that they submit as proof of their income Their application is intended to get a Retirement Visa. Some applicanys show bank superannuation deposits,or government pension deposits. rental income etc. but are they are still required to show a letter from the contributing agency of the source of income or deposits

Conversely many of us have no problems whatsoever.

Surely it is a simple matter to demonstrate where income is derived from ?

My income comes from more than one source but I have no difficulty showing that !

I suspect those that have "difficulty " are those who "swear" affidavits regarding income.

Those of us who have to provide evidence before the Embassy will issue a letter have no problem

Edited by thaiexpat21
  • Like 1

This is a difficult and confusing issue for many prospective Retirement Visa aspirants. What  s                confusing issue  for many foreign Thai Visa Retirement (extension) applicants is when they are asked to show supporting evidence of the source of funds that they submit as proof of their income  Their application is intended to get a Retirement Visa. Some applicanys show bank superannuation deposits,or government pension deposits. rental income etc. but are they are still required to show  a letter from the contributing agency of the source of income or deposits

If you are using the 65k baht income option that is dependent upon what your embassy requires to do the income letter.

For the 800k baht in a Thai bank it is not the same. Which is what we have been discussing.

• Like 1

Jontiem is the easiest place to do immigration business the most falang friendly

i went in at 8.30 am to do the retirement visa did the paper work and was told to come back after 3pm to collect passport all complete in less than 90 mins same with proof of residence very efficient bunch of guys

• Like 1

This is a difficult and confusing issue for many prospective Retirement Visa aspirants. What  s                confusing issue  for many foreign Thai Visa Retirement (extension) applicants is when they are asked to show supporting evidence of the source of funds that they submit as proof of their income  Their application is intended to get a Retirement Visa. Some applicanys show bank superannuation deposits,or government pension deposits. rental income etc. but are they are still required to show  a letter from the contributing agency of the source of income or deposits

My income comes from more than one source but I have no difficulty showing that !

I suspect those that have "difficulty " are those who "swear" affidavits regarding income.

Those of us who have to provide evidence before the Embassy will issue a letter have no problem

I have done six consecutive extensions using an income affidavit and have never been asked for any additional proof.

But I always have my bank book with me that shows my money coming in every month just in case they did ask. A bank book like mine is the best proof you can have.

• Like 1

This is a difficult and confusing issue for many prospective Retirement Visa aspirants. What s confusing issue for many foreign Thai Visa Retirement (extension) applicants is when they are asked to show supporting evidence of the source of funds that they submit as proof of their income Their application is intended to get a Retirement Visa. Some applicanys show bank superannuation deposits,or government pension deposits. rental income etc. but are they are still required to show a letter from the contributing agency of the source of income or deposits

I have done six consecutive extensions using an income affidavit and have never been asked for any additional proof.

But I always have my bank book with me that shows my money coming in every month just in case they did ask. A bank book like mine is the best proof you can have.

Yes, but even that might depend on what sort of a day the Immigration officer is having, or what mood he/she is in.

Speaking from experience, you are much better off transferring your foreign currency to Thailand and exchanging it into Baht here. HSBC in Hong Kong raped me on the currency exchange from HKD to THB and according to them I have "preferential rates"...(.a load of rubbish!)

Speaking from experience, you are much better off transferring your foreign currency to Thailand and exchanging it into Baht here. HSBC in Hong Kong raped me on the currency exchange from HKD to THB and according to them I have "preferential rates"...(.a load of rubbish!)

Agreed.

I transfer in £ sterling which is converted to Bht in Thailand.

I always get a very competitive TT rate from the bank

A few years back I attempted to renew my extension of stay in Bangkok I had the letter of proof of income showing my pension was in access of 65,000 baht per month . To my amazement the immigration officer then asked for my wife's proof of income or her savings of 800,000 I argued the point but could see I was getting nowhere, we cut our holiday short and returned to Koh Samui went to our normal immigration office showed my letter of income and within the hour both myself and wife had our passports stamped with a further years extension of stay. It seems that Bangkok has a different set of rules than the rest of the Country !!!!!!!!!

I too have found that the affidavit is the easiest way to go… guess it all depends on location - of the immigration office and your passport!

" I suspect those that have "difficulty " are those who "swear" affidavits regarding income.

Those of us who have to provide evidence before the Embassy will issue a letter have no problem"

That would appear to be a distinction without a difference. I get an affidavit by stating an amount of monthly income and swearing to it, but always have documentary proof to support the amount I put on the affidavit even though my embassy does not ask for it. I also take the supporting documents with me when doing the annual application for extension of stay at Thai Immigration. I've never been asked for them, but they've occasionally been kept as part of my application.

You seem to suggest that your embassy requires documentation before issuing a letter on the assumption that the citizens of the country they represent are incapable of doing simple arithmetic or given to overstating their income and that having overcome your embassy's doubts about your integrity or intelligence, you are better able to approach Thai Immigrations without fear of being found out.

Or maybe you're just a teeny bit jealous that your embassy treats you like children that can't be believed.

"Conversely many of us have no problems whatsoever."

Edited by Suradit69

Bandersnatch, how were they able to tell that the money was remitted in Baht?. For reasons beyond my control I currently have more money than I want in Thailand and it was sent as Baht. I don't really relish having to send in another *00k when I become eligible for Retirement Visa in a few months.

Would be interested in knowing if this is a one off/one officers criteria in terms of checking or if it is the general experience. Also if others can confirm that they will accept a further 800k transfer without additional seasoning - maybe best idea is to get bank letter confirming existing funds were sent from abroad and if they do not accept because not converted to THB in Thailand then send the additional 800k

Bandersnatch, how were they able to tell that the money was remitted in Baht?. For reasons beyond my control I currently have more money than I want in Thailand and it was sent as Baht. I don't really relish having to send in another *00k when I become eligible for Retirement Visa in a few months.

Would be interested in knowing if this is a one off/one officers criteria in terms of checking or if it is the general experience. Also if others can confirm that they will accept a further 800k transfer without additional seasoning - maybe best idea is to get bank letter confirming existing funds were sent from abroad and if they do not accept because not converted to THB in Thailand then send the additional 800k

You only need proof of it coming from abroad when going for a conversion. If you curently have a non-immigrant visa extesion or plan on getting a non-O in a neighbouring country no proof of it coming from abroad is required.

The notification of transfer from SCB showed the remitting currency (this was not a letter from the bank)

I had gone to Bangkok's Chaeng Wattana immigration office the previous day to confirm exactly what documents were required to convert my tourist visa to retirement. Proof of foreign transfer was not on the list of requirements. In my case they did not need the second transfer in HK$ seasoned.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by Bandersnatch

• 1 month later...