Bangkok coffee vendor backs down to Starbucks' legal might, changes logo

webfact

Bangkok coffee vendor backs down to Starbucks' legal might, changes logo
By Coconuts Bangkok

screen_shot_2013-11-05_at_6.14.47_pm.png

BANGKOK: -- Starbung, the local coffee cart in Bangkok’s Rattanakosin district that appropriated Starbucks branding, has backed off from a legal fight with the American coffee giant, which filed a lawsuit for using its logo’s likeness in September.

Damrong Maslae, the cart’s 43-year-old barista, has reportedly changed his logo from "Starbung Coffee" to "Stylebung Tea-Coffee" with a slight change of the color scheme. His new logo has been passed around social networks for two weeks, with many admiring the street vendor for his sneaky and free PR strategy.

Damrong and his brother failed to show up for trial yesterday at the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court for the arrest request by Starbucks for copyright dispute.

But Damrong’s lawyer was there to represent him and presented a photograph of the new Stylebung logo to the court. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/11/05/bangkok-coffee-vendor-backs-down-starbucks-legal-might-changes-logo

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-11-05

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guy runs a street stall and sells coffee for 20 baht. His old logo wasn't that similar to Starbucks logo, and no one in their right minds could think that he had any connection at all to Starbucks. Its another case of a multi-national crushing a one man band - Starbucks coffee is crap anyway.

The guy runs a street stall and sells coffee for 20 baht. His old logo wasn't that similar to Starbucks logo, and no one in their right minds could think that he had any connection at all to Starbucks. Its another case of a multi-national crushing a one man band - Starbucks coffee is crap anyway.

Good for him if he sells at 20 bht, and is happy. IT IS SIMILAR or have you a sight problem, A one man band having a go at a multi national more like. If you think it is crap then don't go, and you now know the taste of crap, Do your own thing coffee man without ruffling feathers--near everything here is or has to be a copy, use your Thai brain to better your business. No offence but don't go around slapping king kongs knees.

Anyone who would pay 5 bucks for some so called special coffee has more money than brains

If starbucks still goes after them for 300K they are showing they are true wanke_rs

Just my opinion

All Starbucks need to do is stop the Thai MR. COPY. nothing more put him in his place and invent a logo that doe's not tread on toes.

Even if their coffee is expensive, or they are a multi national is not the point.

If it was MY coffee shop and he tried to get some of my business I would be annoyed. Tell the Thai man to stop playing silly childish games for brownie points.

• Like 1

On the contrary, he has played this game brilliantly....his business has trebled and he now has a known brand. He will have to offer good coffee for viability in the medium term. Starbucks is dreadful stuff but couldn't be worse than the miserable 95 Baht crap I had at costa yesterday. D Cup is better @ 45

Anyone who would pay 5 bucks for some so called special coffee has more money than brains

If starbucks still goes after them for 300K they are showing they are true wanke_rs

Just my opinion

All Starbucks need to do is stop the Thai MR. COPY. nothing more put him in his place and invent a logo that doe's not tread on toes.

Even if their coffee is expensive, or they are a multi national is not the point.

If it was MY coffee shop and he tried to get some of my business I would be annoyed. Tell the Thai man to stop playing silly childish games for brownie points.

On the contrary, he has played this game brilliantly....his business has trebled and he now has a known brand. He will have to offer good coffee for viability in the medium term. Starbucks is dreadful stuff but couldn't be worse than the miserable 95 Baht crap I had at costa yesterday. D Cup is better @ 45

Just my opinion

I agree with most of what you say -Price-taste- my take on this is he was wrong to have a logo that is similar. What business he got out of it and how much he is taking has a lot to do with CHEATING. I am all for the little man getting on in any business. But this guy is getting his money by using a logo that is not on. If his coffee is 45 bht and is brilliant he will sell without this BS.

Yet another Thai with big hat and no cattle!!coffee1.gif

Wonder if the new logo was inspired by Islam aswell??

Still not a big fan of Starbucks, but this was clearly of case of logo-theft!!

this logo is as Islamic as technically possible:

Bung is the for Muslim men what is Khun for Thais

green is the color of the Prophet

the moon with the star is well known

and the logo with the arabic writing is also self explaining

Not really a chance to confuse that with starbucks

and logo-theft.

I am not sure for English but in my language is theft when you steel something so you have it now and the other one doesn't has it anymore.

Starbucks still has its logo, so it can be only a not authorized copy, not a theft.

My, you have a narrow definition of theft. Have you not heard of 'theft of services'? Of course Mr. Bung is not guilty of trademark theft but guilty of attempted trademark theft. If Starbucks had not pursued this case, they truly would not be in possession of their trademark anymore and Mr. Bung could own it. Is there a large difference between attempted theft and theft? The intention of the thief is the same. Mr. Bung is a thief at heart but since Starbucks is a huge, multinational corporation, and therefore evil by definition, they are wrong and Mr. Bung is right. TiT

• Like 2

Yet another Thai with big hat and no cattle!!coffee1.gif

Wonder if the new logo was inspired by Islam aswell??

Still not a big fan of Starbucks, but this was clearly of case of logo-theft!!

this logo is as Islamic as technically possible:

Bung is the for Muslim men what is Khun for Thais

green is the color of the Prophet

the moon with the star is well known

and the logo with the arabic writing is also self explaining

Not really a chance to confuse that with starbucks

and logo-theft.

I am not sure for English but in my language is theft when you steel something so you have it now and the other one doesn't has it anymore.

Starbucks still has its logo, so it can be only a not authorized copy, not a theft.

So, using your logic, can we assume that Ronald McDonald would turn a blind eye to a new franchise in an Arab country using this sign and selling camel burgers?

attachicon.gifMcHammed's - pic12651.jpg

It is not "non-authorized copy" but trademark theft.

You obviously have no grasp of copyright and trademark law. If Starbucks had not pursued Damrong, he might have opened a string of Starbung shops and legally Starbucks wouldn't have a leg to stand on. That is why they were so serious. And they won.

He had his time in the limelight and will now sell more coffee. A win win situation.

The sad thing here is that you think "Star $" won. Wow, now there's an idea for a coffee shop sign, free to anyone who wants it 'cos that's the kind of guy I am.

Not a souless mega corporation with countless legions of mini-me's all running around, falling over themselves to support mega rich corporations. Take a look at yourselves, what has starbucks done to deserve your unabashed adulation - it's a chain of coffee shops <deleted>, not the second coming sick.gif

• Like 1

I admire small people fight against giants. If I know his location I would support him…

Looking at it from a business angle, WHY does he HAVE to go so near to infringe protocol. If his product is fantastic he will get customers running -without picking at another business. I do not frequent Starbucks, but if it was just a small coffee shop he sort of copied it's just the same.

My message is stamp your OWN original logo. Why ask for trouble, maybe just after publicity. Greedy Thai man. Think for yourself.

If he was really ballsy, the would have called his new coffee shop " Cafe Amazing', and put it in the locall PTT station........

I have no doubt PTT would have been more than willing to let him squat on their logo.

• Like 1

If you owned a copyright of anything, would you put up with some ne'er-do-well coming along and ripping you off? Off course not! Starbucks were correct in what they did. This man was as much a thief as people who make or purchase copy Lpuis Vuitton handbags, copy Pinarello bicycles, copy DVDs and so on. His logo and name of his business was as near to a rip off as you can get. Similar? Absolutely. Now I look forward to 7-eleven going after the crazy Thai in a van in Chiang Mai with a 7-eleven ripped off logo selling something or the other.

• Like 1

Bad coffee, significant competition, increased public and govt scrutiny, questionable ethics re relationships with growers, damning reports on tax evasion, house of cards financing,,,,a good call on your part to sell at the top of the market

Thai courts are useless. They use the first year of most cases trying to get people to settle. Wakeup call, if people could settle, they would not go to court would they?

Anyway, the crime has already been committed, no matter what Starbung does to their logo, so I hope Starbucks pushes on with their lawsuit, and teach them, and Thais in general, a lesson.

And even with their logo changes, they are still pushing their luck, why not just change it completely? Seems to me they are still trying to upset Starbucks, which is partly why I hope Starbucks continues the suit.

• Like 1