Difference in price of tablets for my Thai wife and for myself.

dotpoom

I will think again about what to do. By the way, I had intended to hide the name of the pharmacy if it was at the top of the receipt, but to the best of my knowledge most receipts here are just written on a receipt book that you can buy in any store, not personalized. I'm surprised to hear that going back is not considered a good idea by the contributors here...where I come from it is considered a "must" to pull up people who overcharge in the hope that being "found out' might help them change their ways. Yes, I hear you all saying "You're not at home now".... this is Thailand............but old habits die hard. I think by lying down under such practices is, to say the least, condoning it. If more people let it be known to shops who "double charge Foreigners" that they were taking their custom to shops that did not do this....maybe...just maybe...it might make at least one of them think again. It's people not doing this that encourages the practice.

i fully agree with you mate, i would do the same !

i really dont understand the RIDICULOUS reactions of some smartasses here.... coffee1.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand has Universal Healthcare for all it's citizens. It might just be that she showed her healthcare-care and got a goverment discount on the medication..

Not sure however if it works in any pharmacy or just goverment hospitals.

Just an alternative to it just being because you're a falang :D

I'm a Phamracist and I think I can speak Thai - the local Pharmacy I go into to buy meds always manages to add a few extra baht onto my bill and never have the generic when I ask, the only time I get a discount is if I've counselled some farang whilst there smile.png

Is this the same at the large brand chains of pharmacies ?

I would say that prices are fixed at fascino ? Never had a problem there (although i might have and did not realize)

No big box and Fascino are fixed, I use a Pharmacy in BKK for generics and some hard to find medication and sadly I'm at their mercy. I do watch the expiry dates like a hawk and I've seen them discount meds that are close to expiration - hence another reason to make sure your pharmacy is well stocked with a good turnover and drugs are stored properly.

You've got your tablets, dotpoom, so why would you want to raise your blood pressure further by confronting Jomtien pharmacists? I don't understand.

Good point Wool.....but you see it shot up already when I got the 800 Baht quotes....so now I' attempting to bring it back down when I see the look on their faces when I show them the receipt and wait for their explanations, 555......Seriously though.............. I thought it would be obvious why I would be interested in hearing what they have to say for themselves without actually admitting that ""We double charge Foreigners" or..."We like to rob people".

UK....you are right, but a lot of Thai people, including my wife, just don't want to confront fellow Thais in situations like this so I wouldn't put her in that position.

I've got to agree with the others; your proposition is unwise, and serves no point. In fact, it foolish and proves nothing. What could you possibly gain by antagonizing another person?

I could easily find you two or more pharmacies here in the US that charge different prices for the same meds. Of course, one would expect to pay the same price if they have med insurance (that covers prescribed meds) -- but in LOS, without insurance, you pay what the market will bear. In Jomtien, or even BKK, prices will tend to be higher than some store in BFE.

go to South West Pharmacy(soi 15) in Bangkok and you will probably get them for Bt300. We pick up 3 months supply there of everything we need and no pharmacy in Pattaya or Jomtien can match thier cheap prices

I buy my medication at the nearest pharmacy to me, next to Foodmart. All purchases are scanned by the computer to give me the price, so it would be difficult to have dual pricing. Whether it charges more than a rural pharmacy I don't know, and don't really care. It's nice to have a friendly face close by.

I'm a Phamracist and I think I can speak Thai - the local Pharmacy I go into to buy meds always manages to add a few extra baht onto my bill and never have the generic when I ask, the only time I get a discount is if I've counselled some farang whilst there smile.png

I would say that prices are fixed at fascino ? Never had a problem there (although i might have and did not realize)

No big box and Fascino are fixed, I use a Pharmacy in BKK for generics and some hard to find medication and sadly I'm at their mercy. I do watch the expiry dates like a hawk and I've seen them discount meds that are close to expiration - hence another reason to make sure your pharmacy is well stocked with a good turnover and drugs are stored properly.

Dual pricing is one of my pet hate's. I can accept it for all the nature parks and stuff but not for commercial non government businesses. Its just an other way for them to rip off non Thai's I know plenty of Thais who despise it too.

I am pretty laid back in most things but this always gets my blood boiling.

• Like 1

"Easybullet3" Thank you kindly for your sincere advice to me, it was good to be reminded of same and thanks again for taking the time to write it down. I did stop drinking and smoking 12 years ago and my quality of life since then has been beyond my wildest dreams.

I suggest to the OP that he should actually expand his investigations.

• 10 Pharmacies
  • Your wife visits each one without you
  • You visit each one without your wife.

Price quotes x 10 x 2 can be posted here at conclusion

I thought about doing what you say Bookman but I felt two different people, one Thai and one Foreigner, producing the exact same empty box and asking their price for it might lead them to "cop on" unless there was a fair gap of time between the two of us doing it.

At the end of the day it's not a life changing incident. Sometimes, when an action is considered by a person, it is not always purely for their own personal benefit but they may have the greater good in mind.....or is that way of life gone out the window along with lots of other good principles that people used to live by. Another one that seems to have disappeared is "My word is my bond"....of course that's a horse of a different color and possibly a trigger for a new thread. Thanks for your views...the message I get is...."There's no point in trying to swim against the stream".. I certainly see that point....but isn't it a sad state of affairs. ....Yes, I know already, if you don't like it go home......but I learned a long time ago....................'It is better to be happy.than right". GB.

I am with the other posters that recommend Fascino. My Doctor actually told me to go there, he said good prices and no copy drugs. As others have said, make sure that you get the members card. I have never had any hassle there at all, they are always helpful and in the store that I go to (Pattaya Nua) always seem to have somebody that can speak English.

"Easybullet3" Thank you kindly for your sincere advice to me, it was good to be reminded of same and thanks again for taking the time to write it down. I did stop drinking and smoking 12 years ago and my quality of life since then has been beyond my wildest dreams.

I suggest to the OP that he should actually expand his investigations.

• 10 Pharmacies
  • Your wife visits each one without you
  • You visit each one without your wife.

Price quotes x 10 x 2 can be posted here at conclusion

I thought about doing what you say Bookman but I felt two different people, one Thai and one Foreigner, producing the exact same empty box and asking their price for it might lead them to "cop on" unless there was a fair gap of time between the two of us doing it.

At the end of the day it's not a life changing incident. Sometimes, when an action is considered by a person, it is not always purely for their own personal benefit but they may have the greater good in mind.....or is that way of life gone out the window along with lots of other good principles that people used to live by. Another one that seems to have disappeared is "My word is my bond"....of course that's a horse of a different color and possibly a trigger for a new thread. Thanks for your views...the message I get is...."There's no point in trying to swim against the stream".. I certainly see that point....but isn't it a sad state of affairs. ....Yes, I know already, if you don't like it go home......but I learned a long time ago....................'It is better to be happy.than right". GB.

Yes, no need to do it all in a day. Perhaps over the course of 3-6 months as you are passing by the places.

The results could be quite interesting. Certainly Topic worthy

I live 65 km from a reasonable pharmacy which is in Khampaeng Phet and they don't always have what I need.

There is a much better place in Nakhon Sawan 125 km away that I have dealt with for years.

Whether it rips me off or not I have no idea but it IS cheaper than where I used to go, and it is cheaper than Bangkok.

When I need my 4 different meds I send them an email stating what I want, they reply the same day with a price including EMS postage. I transfer the money to their bank and email them and the stuff arrives next day all of it well before the best before date.

For me it is easy. No stress or hassle and a good service.

I regularly have to buy some medication. It's a generic drug, but prices vary a lot. Most pharmacies sell it between 20 and 30 Baht per stripe, in department stores and places like Boots they charge 60. When I once tried to buy is at the pharmacies around Asok, they asked for 180-220 Baht. All the time it's the same brand and the same dosage. Anyway, in the area where I live (Banglamphu) there're pharmacies that sell it for 15 Baht/stripe. There's no point in confronting them, they wouldn't change it anyway because there's always some farang who will buy it for that price. Just go to the next pharmacie.

By the way, for those who live in Bangkok and want to purchase big amounts for a normal price: Around Siriraj Hospital there're about 10 pharmacies or something that gave me the cheapest prices I've ever paid. The biggest one looks rather like a supermarket, full of people and shelfs with almost every drug you can think of. If you need something "exotic" or be able to chose between different brands, that's the place to go.

Dual pricing is one of my pet hate's. I can accept it for all the nature parks and stuff but not for commercial non government businesses. Its just an other way for them to rip off non Thai's I know plenty of Thais who despise it too.

I am pretty laid back in most things but this always gets my blood boiling.

Don't get me wrong, it drives me bonkers as well. I have three choices send a Thai in to buy for me or pay the inflated price or shop elsewhere.

I wish it was easier but they don't seem to care and yes my blood boils but I don't know what to do except walk away.

I've yet to find a fairly priced pharmacy in JOMTIEN.

In my view, their only use if if you need some small thing for convenience, not for serious medication shopping.

Double the fair price quoted is very common. I just don't buy there.

Instead go to FASCINO (multiple locations in Pattaya) and also P and F pharmacy, located in Central Pattaya Beach mall and also Big C north.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I have placed a call with the consumer watch group FART (farangs against racist targeting) and raised a stink. They have sent out a private investigator to get to the bottom of this problem. There is no doubt something smells here. They did provide a suggestion for the next time.

Get some shoe polish and darken your skin a bit...shave your hair so that it stands straight up, spike it, and color it black.....draw or grow a scraggily beard and moustache....wear a pair of dark sunglasses so the pharmacist can not see your eyes...and in your best Thai accent ask for the product in question......if you get charged a lower rate then YES you have been discriminated against and FART is more than willing to take this case to the supreme court!

Let's all raise a stink and get a FART in every district within Thailand...before long with all the new FART's around, Thailand will have to take notice and do something.

• Like 1

I live in Kampaengphet and buy over the counter meds for hypertension. I use the same pharmacy most times and buy 10 tabs of Anipril 20mg at B20 per sheet.or B730 for a year.

Occasionally I buy a generic, such as Enapril but they work equally well.

I've never experienced the discrimination you mention but expect there are 'bent' pharmacists around..... it helps if the pharmacist has previously worked in the hospital system, although this is no guarantee.

As a rule, if they're not genuinely friendly I don't buy from any vendor, whatever they're selling. To get a good idea of a fair price, inquire at the pharmacies in BigC malls as these are usually corporate ventures with scanning registers that confound deliberate over charging.

• Like 1

Just another example of Thai Racism coupled with a desire to fleece anyone they feel they can.

Sad but true and no point sending your blood pressure through the roof by confronting them, they wouldn't give a damn and in fact would probably find it good for a laugh when you turn your back. If it happened to THEM in a Civilized country, they'd be off screaming to the UN and anyone else who would listen and no doubt they'd get satisfaction.

• Like 2

I saw rather a large price difference between a pharmacy in tha Mall, and Fascino.

In the same Mall I was buying a button battery and despite 40 baht being written on the pack in Thai, he said it was 150 baht. In Tesco it was 50 baht.

If you don't think Farangs get quoted different prices here you must be daft.

• Like 2

To the OP. You're wasting your time putting any effort into trying to get some semblance of justice here. It would do your peace of mind and your blood pressure a world of good if you would just simply accept that you have no rights here, you will be overcharged, you're considered a walking ATM to the Thais. To try and shame them is a waste of time. They feel they have a right to overcharge you. As one Thai fellow told me "It takes 30 of our dollars to buy one of yours, you should pay more because your money is worth more." How can you argue with that logic. The best you can do is shop around for the best price and if they want to overcharge you just walk away, don't spend any time there arguing...it won't help you...it will just frustrate you. I learned early on to treat everything in Thailand as a joke and then I didn't get upset when they tried to scam/overcharge me etc.

• Like 2

You are all part of the problem you let these people shit on you, screw you literally extort money anyway they can if they were in our country and were treated like so you think they would keep quiet. dotpoom you are right and I would send my wife in first to check the price then leave her outside go in with the receipt and confront them they need to know we are not idiots and we are not prepared to take this racial discrimination. When I go in a shop there I always ask if the price quoted is the Farang price or Thai price.

• Like 2