Thai Transport Minister appalled by minivan safety standard

webfact

Transport Minister Appalled By Minivan Safety Standard
By Khaosod Online

mv.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Transport Minister Charchart Sittipan said he had instructed the authorities to urgently tighten the safety measures applied to public minivans, after he had personally discovered that much of the safety policies are blatantly ignored by the minivan drivers.

Mr. Chatchart said he had encountered such problems during his private minivan trips - the Minister is well-known for his preference to inspect various public transports such as buses, boats, and trains by riding one by himself.

According to the Minister, a number of minivans refused to comply with the safety standards issued by the Ministry of Transport. Reportedly, some of the vans did not equip any safety belts, fire extinguishers, and glass-breaking hammer in their cars.

Although some of the vehicles did equip the items, they did so in "inappropriate positions of the minivans", Mr. Chatchart said. He also complained that he had seen some vans illegally adding extra passenger seats.

Moreover, some vans operator did not ask their passengers to leave the vehicles when they refuel the gas, which is a very dangerous procedure, according to the Transport Minister.

Mr. Achsathai Rattanadilok Na Phuket, acting director-general of the Department of Land Transport, said that he had instructed the provincial authority to improve the safety policy.

According to the Director-General, the laws clearly states that minivans imported or manufactured after 1 April 2012 must be equipped with safety belts on every seat; as for minivan imported or manufactured before the date, the procedure must be applied by 1 January 2013.

"Every mini-van should have their seat equipped with safety belt by now", Mr. Achsathai said.

He added that the service providers must also warn their passengers to leave the vehicles during the refuel stops.

In case of minivans that had attached extra seats, legal prosecution will be pressed against the drivers and service operators, said the Director General.

Mr. Achsathai said that if any passengers have experienced minivans that do not comply by the safety procedure, they should call 1584 to inform the officials about the matter.

Accidents involving interprovincial minivans have killed and injured large number of passengers in recent years, and many drivers were discovered to have operated the vehicles without proper licenses or registration.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE16WTFOemc0T0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-06

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He has only just personally found out something that's been headline news for long enough and not so long ago yet another ' crackdown ' was ordered after a serious crash in Central Thailand, I regret I cannot remember the province concerned.

What is the Minister of Transport doing with his time, other than publicity stunts, when he has only just learned about this sort of thing ? I don't lay all blame at his door of course because we know the rules and regulations are in place but enforcement is, for many reasons, lax to say the least.

• Like 2

Good, now that he is awake can he maybe also tell the minister of traffic to do something about road quality, trucks with no or poor lights, pick-up's that are overloaded so much they break, cars that are so old and badly maintained they are a hazard on the road, people driving against traffic....... should I go on?

Time to work and do something boys !!!

All of the above can be arranged with 200 TBH to the local "friendly police man " , but that doesn't help the problem....

• Like 2

What answer can you give to this man, who is a photo copy of all the other ministers. Completely out of touch with reality. Until they get a phone call to tell them there is a problem.

HE IS APPAULED, about the same as the general public are regarding this shower of S##T called ministers of departments. YES time for OUT

• Like 2

He has only just personally found out something that's been headline news for long enough and not so long ago yet another ' crackdown ' was ordered after a serious crash in Central Thailand, I regret I cannot remember the province concerned.

What is the Minister of Transport doing with his time, other than publicity stunts, when he has only just learned about this sort of thing ? I don't lay all blame at his door of course because we know the rules and regulations are in place but enforcement is, for many reasons, lax to say the least.

Here's another angle. The minister takes the bus, train, boat, mini-van himself, mostly trying to be incognito and I applaud him for this.

But there's other points which need airing, e.g., how come nobody in his ministry (with thousands of employees, top heavy with senior officers), has ever inspected these services, and how come there is no 'secret shopper team'?

Perhaps more to the point, the senior officials (this ministry and all other ministries) all know full well that making policies is one thing but the reality is that policies are ignored.

The minister should regularly / case by case make some senior heads roll in regard to lack of inspections and lack of legal action against delinquent operators.

You've raised so many excellent points that cover many other issues, other ministeries, the BIB et al.

Thailand is basically reactive rarely proactive and then only after careful consideration of who and what may be exposed.

If something terrible happens there's the usual fine words, promises of crackdowns, new laws and policies etc. until it stops being in the news.

Disciplinary action too never seems to be applied properly if at all and again the question of cronies, friends of friends etc arises so heads that deserve to roll rarely do.

just a thought,

All minivans for public use must be speed limited (100) klms,

all drivers must have a REAL license.

all vans to have dash cam's that have their sd card inspected after each trip or GPS record and inspection.

vans to pass a safety inspection (NO FAULTY TYERS) excuses anymore, and the inspectors to held accountable along with the drivers for any infraction.

• Like 2

The Guy should return to his department and fire everyone in it as not one of them has done their job properly, perhaps with the exception of the cleaner. Hang on; can't do that as most of them are from his own family or from the families of other ministers. What do they do all day? Well; when they can be bothered to be in the office at all they are usually walking around with one sheet of paper whilst looking for someone to talk the time of day with or are busy on the phone booking free seats in business class on Thai Airways !

• Like 1

Here's another angle. The minister takes the bus, train, boat, mini-van himself, mostly trying to be incognito and I applaud him for this.

But there's other points which need airing, e.g., how come nobody in his ministry (with thousands of employees, top heavy with senior officers), have never inspected these services, and how come there is no 'secret shopper team'?

Perhaps more to the point, the senior officials (this ministry and all other ministries) all know full well that making policies is one thing but the reality is that policies are ignored.

The minister should regularly / as needed make some senior heads roll in regard to lack of inspections and lack of legal action against delinquent operators.

Agree with much, BUT he is responsible, HIS head should roll, it's in his job description that he is in charge of that department. What has happened in his term of office 2 + years or whatever -what has he improved ??? we are talking about safety. RAIL ROAD, etc. SICK ministers. no progress.

Command Course material - " you can delegate your authority, you cannot delegate responsibility. "

• Like 2

This seems to be a common malady among Thais in any position of authority; to observe > to pontificate > to move on. Is anyone supposed to be impressed? Is anyone supposed to be fooled into thinking they mean well? I don't think so.

The only use for Thai government I have observed, in the many years I have been aware of it, is that they all blow hot air out of their pie-holes and that is the most of anything that is accomplished.

If Thais did half the things they say then they would have colonized Jupiter by now and it would be the alian stopover HUB of the galaxy..

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 2

...how will this help if:

-the driver is drunk

-the driver is on drugs

-the driver has not slept in 24-48 hours

-the driver is emotionally unstable

...and the van flies off the road or the expressway or into oncoming traffic at 140 kilometers an hour......

• Like 1

No mention of the actual reason for the vast majority of the accidents. I refer to the kamakaze attitude of most minivan drivers to get to the destination as quickly as possible, regardless of consequences. The bullying approach in getting past vehicles in front, the road rage they exhibit is breathtaking.

A friend of mine was on a visa run to Cambodia last month from Pattaya, and the driver was so bad the passengers clubbed together to give him THB 1000 to slow down and to keep on the road rather than mounting the verge !

Police are very adept at stopping motorbikes for no helmets, how about some unmarked police cars cruising the expressways. The tea money would be enormous.

• Like 2

...how will this help if:

-the driver is drunk

-the driver is on drugs

-the driver has not slept in 24-48 hours

-the driver is emotionally unstable

...and the van flies off the road or the expressway or into oncoming traffic at 140 kilometers an hour......

Agreed. Perhaps this charade would take on more sincere characteristics were the Transport Minister actually in the minivan when it experienced a malfunction. Perhaps it would even be considered "just" that were he in one when this happened, and as a consequence, he end up in a wheelchair for the remainder of his life. I am just saying... perhaps. After all, he is the one responsible for a portion of this lunacy, is he not?