Thaksin says amnesty bill unfairly distorted by his political opponents

Lite Beer

Thaksin says amnesty bill unfairly distorted by his political opponents
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra issued a statement on Wednesday criticising his opponents for distorting the intentions behind the amnesty bill and using this to attack him. The statement was distributed by his legal adviser Noppadol Pattama.

In the statement, Thaksin said that his opponents had distorted the bill by saying it sought to whitewash him and provide an avenue for returning his seized assets whereas it was in fact aimed at helping the country move on from conflict and provide justice to victims of the 2006 coup.

"As a former prime minister, I respect different opinions of Thais but I cannot accept the use of false information to distort the issue and frame me and my family," Thaksin said in the statement.

"My ultimate wish is to see Thais have a better life and a strong future and the country catch up with the changes of the world. It is sad that some groups of politicians still think that attacking me with false information will help them become popular. This tactic has been rejected by the majority of Thais as seen in election results during the past decade."

Thaksin said the 2006 coup violated the rule of law and the post-coup cases against him were unfair toward him and his family.

"I absorbed this pain in the hope of seeing the country move forward. As a former prime minister, I realise that the benefits of the country and the people must come before my interests. Now, what I want to see is reconciliation of Thais and I would like Thais to have compassion for one another," Thaksin said.

"Although I live abroad, I still love and care about the future of Thai children. I believe that the future of our children and the country will be stable only when our country has a rule of law that applies equally to all Thais equally and the country has genuine democracy. The decision of the majority Thais in an election must be respected and various organisations must use their power within the framework set by the Constitution. I hope that we will reach that state in the near future."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-06

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

going to be a lot of replies to this one im guna go get a couple of bottles of wine..not much on bbc today,only so much masterchef one can watch....dont you just love it when shit-e is coming out of the wrong hole ......

• Like 2

"The decision of the majority Thais in an election must be respected and various organizations must use their power within the framework set by the Constitution."

Then can he accept the decisions made by the elections since then with "yllw" in power, when he was found guilty of various charges.

"his opponents had distorted the bill by saying it sought to whitewash him and provide an avenue for returning his seized assets"

Sure Mr.T, please look up the word Amnesty in the dictionary. If it's truly not intended then it's a heck of a bonus for you and your family.

Let's see who has the most to gain

the opposition:

1. conspiracy to murder charges: Not even in court yet, so they'll be cleanse of any wrong doing that they haven't even been found guilty off!!!

2. airport shut down: OK they'll be cleanse of that, but they've already been punished and served jail time for that (how ever short). Dude, we've been in jail, wiping our slate clean isn't going to change that.

Government side:

1. Mr.T gets to come home, his slate clean, and potentially get his money back - WITHOUT spending a minute in jail. self impose exile in 5star hotels don't count as house arrest!

2. Any government building burnt down during the RD uprising will be forgotten - don't think many have been charged for that

3. World Trade Center arson - what arson? we've been cleansed.

4. Family that lost members during the shooting - thanks for your help in the uprising. Sorry for your lose, it's was for a good cause.wai.gif

Edited by mic6ard
  • Like 1

Let's see who has the most to gain

the opposition:

1. conspiracy to murder charges: Not even in court yet, so they'll be cleanse of any wrong doing that they haven't even been found guilty off!!!

2. airport shut down: OK they'll be cleanse of that, but they've already been punished and served jail time for that (how ever short). Dude, we've been in jail, wiping our slate clean isn't going to change that.

Government side:

1. Mr.T gets to come home and potentially get his slate clean, money back - WITHOUT spending a minute in jail.

2. Any government building burnt down during the RD uprising will be forgotten - don't think many have been charged for that

3. World Trade Center arson - what arson? we've been cleansed.

And that's not all mic6ard, have a look at what the NACC has to say on the other topic and who else as well as Thaksin will benefit.

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday issued a statement opposing the amnesty bill on grounds that it would absolve thousands of graft violations, including hundreds against top politicians.

"The bill's Article 3 will impact on the fight against corruption, good governance, promotion of honesty and international obligations for anti-corruption," NACC member Vicha Mahakhun said.

The NACC would submit its report on the bill for the Senate to factor in during next week's amnesty debate, Vicha said.

Highlights of the report included the legal implications of graft cases. The bill, if enacted, would derail 24 cases initiated by the Assets Examination Committee and 25,331 cases launched by the NACC. Of the total graft cases being investigated, some 400 cases involved high-level politicians and another 666 cases were already at the indictment stage.

Should the amnesty come into effect, these graft investigations would be nullified. As Thailand is a member of the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC), the absolution for graft violations would go against the convention's provisions.

Presently the country is undergoing a review on compliance with the UNCAC. The NACC had planned to notify the UN it would renounce the graft amnesty, if enacted, in order to shore up the country's reputation in the international community.

NACC member Pakdee Pothisiri said the NACC, empowered to root out corruption, was obliged to notify the international community because the graft amnesty would breach the UNCAC.

NACC assistant secretary-general Thammanoon Ruengdit said cases to be nullified by the amnesty bill included five convictions. The five include the 'unusual wealth' involving former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, the Ratchadaphisek land deal involving Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra and tax evasion involving Pojaman and her brother Bhanapot Damapong.

The remaining two cases are the firetruck purchase, and the rubber-sampling procurement.

Cases under judicial review, such as the two- and three-digit lottery, the Exim Bank loans, the conversion of telecom concession and the Krung Thai loans, would collapse.

Eight cases being investigated by the NACC would be closed.

• Like 1

"...it was in fact aimed at helping the country move on from conflict and provide justice to victims of the 2006 coup."

So;

1) who exactly were these victims?

2) what justice do they seek?

Answer

1) Taksin

2) Money, power and revenge (most probably)

Alternatively, here is a rather simple but clever idea which i suggest Khun Taksin takes sometime to understand.

Justice (and access to it) requires that the law is respected, upheld, and enforced equally and without bias so that alleged victims (whatever their position life and society) can pursue those who committed alleged wrongs against them with the full support of the law in a civilized manner, with the expectation that punishment of the guilty will follow.

Bypassing laws, through a blanket amnesty, bypass the victims access to justice. An amnesty helps those who committed crimes not the victims. Which means your argument is horse shit.

Simple enough

Maybe he thinks he's gonna get his way sooner or later as he has some cronies in high places we can't yet talk about freely.

Hopefully karma will come in to play before the little weasel continues on in the press and harassing and dividing a country. So much for saying he won't be meddling in politics. What a horrible liar he is.

"Although I live abroad, I still love and care about the future of Thai children. I believe that the future of our children and the country will be stable only when our country has a rule of law that applies equally to all Thais equally and the country has genuine democracy. The decision of the majority Thais in an election must be respected and various organisations must use their power within the framework set by the Constitution. I hope that we will reach that state in the near future."

indeed he does care about he future of Thai children as his being whitewashed will of course then enable him to establish a new political dynasty.The children of Thailand will than find themselves bound to the Thaksin clan and their brown nosing acolytes by debt bondage hence Thaksins concern for their welfare.

The equal application of law of course would not be a problem as all opposition to Thaksin and his clan and their brown nosing acolytes will of course be weeded out by various ways and means. A master stroke of the imposing of equality as the surviving vassals will of course be approved by a despotic regime much like the North Korean model.

Indeed the majority vote must be accepted however just yet again to remind Thaksin the votes for his party amounted to 48% of the number of votes cast thus in reality his party did not achieve a governing mandate from the people which led to the horse trading to by Thaksin who had to form a coalition government.

Indeed I like many others hope that Thaksins puppet government listens to and accepts the opinion of the Thai people at large from all walks of life and political persuasions who do not approve of this divisive iniquitous bill that is designed to benefit but one person and his family and their brown nosing acolytes..

Fine talk about democracy but are you, can you, will you Thaksin actually practice that which you preach?

No it is all about you your family and your brown nosing acolytes and the establishment of a new repressive political dynasty. Beware though people are waking up to your plans and alarm bells are ringing loud and clear through this nation.

Sadly Thaksin and his family and their brown nosing acolytes will not rest until they achieve their ultimate aim of yet more civil unrest as they did in 2010.

Thaksin can't wait to see Thai's fighting each other in his chase to steal this country and enslave its peoples into debt bondage away from democracy.

• Like 2

"...it was in fact aimed at helping the country move on from conflict and provide justice to victims of the 2006 coup."

So;

1) who exactly were these victims?

2) what justice do they seek?

Answer

1) Taksin

2) Money, power and revenge (most probably)

Alternatively, here is a rather simple but clever idea which i suggest Khun Taksin takes sometime to understand.

Justice (and access to it) requires that the law is respected, upheld, and enforced equally and without bias so that alleged victims (whatever their position life and society) can pursue those who committed alleged wrongs against them with the full support of the law in a civilized manner, with the expectation that punishment of the guilty will follow.

Bypassing laws, through a blanket amnesty, bypass the victims access to justice. An amnesty helps those who committed crimes not the victims. Which means your argument is horse shit.

Simple enough

Your bold, underlined text is the reason why this bill should start to be called an Impunity Bill, obviously amnesty won't do because it implies that the aim is reconciliation. This is about impunity from crimes committed, to put Thaksin and his minions above the law.

• Like 2

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679569-thaksin-will-not-seek-the-return-of-seized-asset-spokesmen/?p=7003206

Here its is, depression...........

post-46292-0-33896900-1383731325_thumb.j "As a former prime minister, I respect different opinions of Thais but I cannot accept the use of false information to distort the issue and frame me and my family,"

and maybe acceptance.........

post-46292-0-83846800-1383731500_thumb.j <deleted>

I like his legal adviser. Former Democrat, educated at Oxford. Current Phua Thai MP....etc.... I wonder if he does these press releases in his own time or as a PTP MP.. because if as a PTP Mp then it makes another (obvious) lie to Thaksin stating he has nothing to do with running PTP.

Mister Thaksin,

Please explain how, exactly, you were PM when the tanks rollled?

Thanks in anticipation

Please explain how you think the status of the caretaker PM affects the fact that the Army stopped the entire Thai electorate from voting in a royally endorsed election due to be held on October 15th 2006? As head of his political party and in between elections he was caretaker PM. There was no political "vacuum".

Thailand's Thaksin denies amnesty bill is aimed at him

BANGKOK, November 6, 2013 (AFP) - Fugitive former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra denied Wednesday that a controversial amnesty bill pushed by his allies was for his personal benefit, accusing political opponents of "distortions and lies".

There have been daily protests in Bangkok since the politically charged legislation was approved by the lower house last week, raising fears among Thaksin's foes that he could return from self-imposed exile.

"It has been distorted that the amnesty will return my money to me and whitewash only one person, even though the objective is to make the country move past conflicts and give justice to the victims of the 2006 coup," Thaksin said in a statement released by his legal adviser.

"As I was once the prime minister I respect the different opinions of Thai people but I cannot accept the distortions and lies that my family and I have been subjected to for several years," Thaksin said.

Seven years after he was ousted by royalist generals, Thaksin remains a hugely divisive figure in Thailand.

The former telecoms tycoon lives in Dubai to avoid prison for a corruption conviction imposed in his absence in 2008 that he contends was politically motivated.

In 2010, a court also seized $1.4 billion of the Thaksin family assets for abuse of power.

As well as pardoning people involved in political protests, the amnesty would cover those accused of crimes by organisations set up after the coup -- such as Thaksin, who was targeted by an anti-corruption panel.

The amnesty bill was passed by the lower house on Friday and is due to be debated in the Senate next week.

Senate speaker Nikom Wairatpanij on Tuesday said he believed senators would reject the bill, but it was unclear whether he was speaking for a majority in the upper house.

Even if the Senate rejects the bill, the lower house can pass the legislation and send it to the king for approval after a delay of 180 days.

Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is now prime minister, on Tuesday defended the bill, urging the country to "forgive".

She said the amnesty was needed to reunite the country after years of turmoil culminating in a bloody crackdown by the previous government on pro-Thaksin "Red Shirt" protests in 2010 that left more than 90 civilians dead.

But she said the lower house would "accept" the Senate's decision.

The bill has even angered some Red Shirts, who are usually loyal to Thaksin but who want justice for the killing of fellow protesters in the 2010 crackdown.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-06