Thai Parking ... what were they thinking?

David48

I grew up first driving in California where reverse parking is largely frowned upon, as I it does impede traffic flow more than pulling in straight. There even suburban High Streets are wide with diagonal parking spaces. (Not, SF, OAK,etc. ) Then Japan where "bakku paakingu" is more often than not required in shopping centres and carparks.

Then I moved to Guam where most locals insist on backing. Frustrating sometimes when it clearly caused traffic jams. (Sometimes ridiculously with a diagonal slot arrangement).

Pulling out is more difficult in reverse but just as safe as long as one uses caution. It is easier to load your boot when pulling straight in. The blistering heat does take a toll on small batteries. Best argument for backing in is the case when a jump start becomes required.

Either way is fine as long as one uses caution and shows consideration for other motorists. In a Tesco/Big C situation I like to park far way from the store entrance, and follow Grandpa's advice to "Never park next to a shitbox, park next to a nice car". They won't bang your car door and when we are walking through the entrance the silly twits causing a traffic jam waiting for the close spot are still in their cars.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

785994-img-1404714989.bg8nlj.jpg

Plenty of spaces there , just makes him look like a prat.

(Full face windscreen tinting is dangerous. I wish they would ban it and strictly enforce.Sometimes it masks the drivers intentions, can't tell if the vehicle is operating or parked. Legitimate security concerns exist for Police.)

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

I should remember to take the camera to Phitsunalok next trip. At the big C they still have the old angle parking lines and the park at 90 degree lines and it's hilarious to see the car park sometimes.

Why can't people understand that it doesn't matter if you use reverse parking or not simply because if you don't and you go straight in, then you will need to reverse out of the parking lot so you are going to slow down traffic either when you enter the parking lot or upon leaving it.

I wonder if it makes them frown when they realize this.

• Like 1

Why can't people understand that it doesn't matter if you use reverse parking or not simply because if you don't and you go straight in, then you will need to reverse out of the parking lot so you are going to slow down traffic either when you enter the parking lot or upon leaving it.

I wonder if it makes them frown when they realize this.

What you say is true but in the parking lot at Lotus Uttaradit ( where my previous posts were taken from ) all the bays are marked for angle parking and the rows are all clearly marked with signs and arrows to say one way only.To reverse park you would have to enter from the wrong direction and leave against the traffic flow potentially causing problems if the car park is busy.There was one like incident the same day as these last shots were taken.So why break the rules just to be different.

Edited by Ron19

I once stopped my car in an immense car park in Switzerland at 5am. Only car there. I just stopped as I pleased as I was only going to be there for a few minutes. Out of nowhere a group appears and a lady says 'just look how he parked'. Reacting like that is going too far.

On the other hand, in Thailand, having driven around following the arrows as mentioned above to get a good parking space only to find that somebody hasleft his shopping cart in there does result in sloppy parking. I have also parked with my wheels over the line because of a huge SUV that just can't manoeuvre properly into the tiny space. Obviously when this has gone, it is easy to take fotos of badly parked cars.

The Thais don't necessarily appreciate this behaviour either, try https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-park-like-an-idiot-Thailand- http://tinyurl.com/lqbpupg

Plenty of pictures of Porsches taking up two spaces,invalid spaces etc, in there.

• Like 2

Ive gotten so many dents and damage from OTHER peoples car doors I now take two spaces to avoid this. I once sat in my car and watched a woman drive into the car next to her 3-4 times getting into the space, then she just walked off to go shopping.

I usually park farthest from any entrance or the TOP floor where Thais never dare to go.