Has anyone seen/heard a Thai male - farang female couple?

sadhukar

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have known quite a few of these couples and through my observations I have created a stereotype.

Hippy styled western girls date Thai guys, and for the majority it seems the Thai guy falls into one of the following categories: artist, musician, bar owner. Most of them have long hair or dredds, usually a bit of facial hair and crap quality tattoos.

I don't know the financial situation, but I can speculate that the guy is making very little money.

they have indeed little money... like the Thai multi-millionaire (developer of 9 moo baans with hundreds of homes) i know. i live in one of his communities where he sold recently the last plot of land (1.4 Rai) for 16 million Baht (28,500 Baht / wah²) whistling.gif

will ask him next time we meet what kind of instrument he plays and why he wastes money on haircuts.

Again, I talked about it being a prevalent stereotype that I have seen. It does not mean that I do not know of other couples, like my friend who is a professional drummer for Grammy records and his farang wife. Business owners, hotel and restaurant owers, etc where the Thai man is quite educated and affluent, but I see more of what I mentioned before. I have also met a lot of divorced couples, but that's not so different to to the foreign man / thai woman divorces I see too. And the divorced couples are across the board.

Let's use a round number, if I know 10 Thai male / foreign female couples and 7 of them fit my stereotype is it wrong to state my observations and state that they are merely observations?

When it comes down to it, I really don't care who marries who, it's their lives not mine. All I can do is hope any couple the best.

And I am not trying to be an ass either, I just realized my original post is coming off in a way I didn't mean it to. My interactions, for right or for wrong, has led to that stereotype. Sorry if it was irksome.

Do women married to a Thai national have the same visa requirements as a man and if not, how does it differ?

It differs in the way that foreign women married with thai man get thai ID card after a few years, I met a Canadian school teacher in Chiang Mai who was married to a thai male, she always payed for him in restaurants and bars, wouldn't surprise me if she payed "sin sot" to marry him as well clap2.gif

Edited by bander

Yes, he is a Rhasta man with the hair, you know what I mean. Well he met this young girl at his bar here in CM and got her PG. Well the family invited him to go back to their country (Sweden) and he did but that was four or five years ago and I've seen him back here in CM alone since. So yes, it does happen. By the way his English was very good so he was able to talk her up. Back then he was a sweat looking boy and the visiting girls just loved him.

A more interesting question is:

Do they pay Sin Sod, or do they receive Sin Sod?

Neither, in my case! I was tempted to bring the subject up with his mum just to see the look on her face!

There is something special about a female that marries a Thai.

Thank you... I think. There's also something special about a Thai man who marries a Western woman - he doesn't get the kind of wife that he had always expected to get: he is expected to do housework, he has to accept a more equal relationship, and he spends his life trying to explain to his mother that he doesn't mind that!

I've seen a Thai man and his farang wife and their children quite often in Central World shopping center and in an around Ubon.

Thai women with farang men are ubiquitous around the larger cities in Thailand, the other way around, not so much.

That'll be me in Ubon, then.

I have been in Thailand for 17 years, and over the years, and the many places I have worked, I have met quite a few other Western women who marry (or live with) Thai men. To date, I don't know any apart from me that are still together (though I have lost touch with a couple). So, yes, it happens, and I think increasingly often, but it is pretty hard to keep it going.

The majority of Thai men still expect to be senior in the relationship, and find it hard to accept the woman's independance. I, for example, sometimes go out for a night out with friends. I roll up at 2am, very drunk, trying not to alert the neighbours to my state... but I fail, and then my husband has to endure their subtle remarks about how he has a disobedient wife... I should add that this is a VERY rare occurance, but that's enough to get comments!

Western women expect to be treated as equals, and expect a relationship based on trust, communication, etc. The Thai Man is a pretty uncommunicative species, on the whole, when we get down to really talking about feelings, so it's hard!

I have known quite a few of these couples and through my observations I have created a stereotype.

Hippy styled western girls date Thai guys, and for the majority it seems the Thai guy falls into one of the following categories: artist, musician, bar owner. Most of them have long hair or dredds, usually a bit of facial hair and crap quality tattoos.

I don't know the financial situation, but I can speculate that the guy is making very little money.

hippy western girls love that rasta style.

Yes, I know 2 couples...

Have always wondered how much he pays her pr. month, what bar she worked at, how much he sends home to her family every month and how they manage to buy a house in her name here in Thailand.

Will have to ask them, next time I meet them... biggrin.png But sure feel sorry for the girls...having to sink that deep... tongue.png Its sad.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

I remember a pretty famous Thai Tennis player some years back dating a hot western woman. Western female/Asian man is not overly common in general but yes I have seen fair amount of these couples in Thailand, mostly on islands where the couple usually consists of super cute Thai man with a plain Jane western woman. I was friends with one Thai guy some time back on Koh Samet who had 3 western girlfriends and was doing pretty dam_n well for himself. He was a very handsome devil, no homo.

Edited by kevozman1

Do women married to a Thai national have the same visa requirements as a man and if not, how does it differ?

No money required in bank for Visa or extension.

If the Thai husband earn 15k a month, the foreign lady can apply for Thai citizenship.

I hope this tidbit of information doesnt get around,

or we may see an explosion in the numbers of expat ladyboys soon…..

The Thai Farang couples who I know myself or through friends don't fall into my stereotype. But I see this match more often while out and about town and they vastly out number the rest. As I said, I don't care either way and hope all couples the best, just reporting observations.

Sent from my iPod touch using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

In CM

I met an American female missionary (25ish) with a hill tribe Thai fiance.

She complained that his family expected her to pay for everything.

So SHE pays for the sick buffalo, broken down pickup, granny's operation?

Good to see it's not gender based, and equality has really hit Thailand. The foreigner, regardless of gender, is seen as the milking cow.

obviously they are desperate losers who could not find a boyfriend at home, well that's what a lot of western women say about us married to Thai ladies.

Yeah they thought they were in the frying pan, now they've got another responsibility they must pay for. Whose complaining about overweight middle aged farang ladies? Lol

This is TV. Just look at any thread featuring black or arab men. 60% of the board are complete miserable human beings funnily enough trying to insinuate that I'm a troll when they themselves are the biggest trolls of their sad, racist, bigoted lives.

Al-Sharpton-Racecard_zps6bb89a2c.jpg

Often they move to European countries like Germany where racism against non-European immigrants and guest workers is rife. At least farangs in Thailand don't have that problem.

Really?

Racism is rife against westerners in this country. Maybe not to the extent as with immigrants in eastern Europe, but it's still there. You'd have to be blind or a total Thai-apologist not to see it.

obviously they are desperate losers who could not find a boyfriend at home, well that's what a lot of western women say about us married to Thai ladies.

That's a good one!

The typical Western bigotry: a male sex tourist is the scum of earth. A female sex tourist is a strong, independant woman who takes what she deserves.

That's a good one!

The typical Western bigotry: a male sex tourist is the scum of earth. A female sex tourist is a strong, independant woman who takes what she deserves.

Gosh you guys enjoy perpetuating your own cliches' dont you...

The fact is that most women (particularly expats) are too busy enjoying and living life to notice what others are up to.

Just as most female members on here who have Thai partners are too busy getting on with normal life to feel the need to write about it or discuss it...thats why you dont hear about it much.

But of course, that wont stop the same old same..so carry on...

I am an Australian female with a Thai husband. We have been together 5 years, have a Muay Thai business and own a hotel in Sukhumvit, so lifes not all bad tongue.png have to admit it is much easier for a Farang woman to get visas etc.I do admit though that I got one of the good ones who is loyal,faithful and my best friend. I have seen a lot who think it's perfectly acceptable to have more than one woman!

Many western men think that way too,but they would throw out their gf/wife if she did it lol.

One thing that's very apparent in this thread is the presumption of white male entitlement. LOL (as they say).

and what is also very apparent in TV these days is an increase in judgmental over opinionated types.

Been looking in the mirror again?

That's a good one!

Gosh you guys enjoy perpetuating your own cliches' dont you...

The fact is that most women (particularly expats) are too busy enjoying and living life to notice what others are up to.

Just as most female members on here who have Thai partners are too busy getting on with normal life to feel the need to write about it or discuss it...thats why you dont hear about it much.

But of course, that wont stop the same old same..so carry on...

I agree with most of what u say.I knew 3 western girls who even paid for sex with barboys and beach rats,male of course lol.Not many i have met acted like this,but many guys i meet act like this lol