Need help to choose a fun car

TramsRepus

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or maybe 'slightly tuned' S60...is this for real?!

I call BS.

My guess is it's on a dyno with the rollers on no resistance, and a little shaky hands on the camera for effect.

I would be much more interested to see the results if the Volvo broke loose from the Dyno during that little bit of fun!

That really would make an exciting You Tube clip.laugh.png

No way s5 for 1.9m, thats 2million baht cheaper than a regular A5!.

For german cars if anyone is interested in tuning a mate of mine has a fine establishment using flash tunes direct from germany...the tuner himself does gt3 cars that compete in germany. Along with that they specalize in tuning sls, black series and so forth. I did my a5 stage 2 tune mated with exhaust and k&n filter added about 85-100hp and 130nm of torque.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Question... could you buy a 2008 regular A5 here ? [just thought the earliest IMPORT ones here were from late 2009?]

As a brand new regular A5 cost 3.9 million, just cannot see them still being the same price 5 or 6 years later ?? if this is so then maybe everyone need to buy a A5 with no deprecation at all. ??

1.9 million for a 5 year old Audi S5 4.2 V8, is still cheap as one poster pointed towards a Honda NSX that cost here now around 2.7 - 2.9 million for a 1991 model.

Would this one be classed as a fun car ? http://www.one2car.com/TOYOTA_SOARER/J03130279 at least with a press of a button you could have a convertible and with a 4.3 engine

Edited by ignis

For german cars if anyone is interested in tuning a mate of mine has a fine establishment using flash tunes direct from germany...the tuner himself does gt3 cars that compete in germany. Along with that they specalize in tuning sls, black series and so forth. I did my a5 stage 2 tune mated with exhaust and k&n filter added about 85-100hp and 130nm of torque.

Question... could you buy a 2008 regular A5 here ? [just thought the earliest IMPORT ones here were from late 2009?]

As a brand new regular A5 cost 3.9 million, just cannot see them still being the same price 5 or 6 years later ?? if this is so then maybe everyone need to buy a A5 with no deprecation at all. ??

1.9 million for a 5 year old Audi S5 4.2 V8, is still cheap as one poster pointed towards a Honda NSX that cost here now around 2.7 - 2.9 million for a 1991 model.

Wont be 1.9M, dont know how much the S5 will be new but guess around the 6M range perhaps.

A 2009 model is around 3.9M see the link below

http://one2car.com/AUDI_S5/I12130415

Wont be 1.9M, dont know how much the S5 will be new but guess around the 6M range perhaps.

A 2009 model is around 3.9M see the link below

http://one2car.com/AUDI_S5/I12130415

Many of the second hand dealers are up to no good.

Several times I have enquired about a car on the internet and confirmed the price, availability etc only to make a journey to find there's shenanigans going on.

The last time this happened was a few weeks ago when I went to look at a heavily modded but cheap Mitsubishi Evo after confirming the price with the seller, only to arrive and find the price on the sticker was almost double what was listed and confirmed. Later on the price mysteriously changed online to somewhere between the price I was quoted and the sticker price. On calling the seller answers were vague and inconsistent.

Also be careful with paying any sort of deposit at all until you have secured your finance and/or payment. I was diddled out of 20,000thb deposit because the dealer chosen finance company took so long to process our application, eventually refusing us finance (this both amused and annoyed me as I earn a significant amount of money). The dealer initially said we could have our deposit back but then reneged on his word and refused to pay it back once we attempted to collect it. Both myself and Thai associates suspect the dealer had another buyer and colluded with the finance salesman to just keep the 20,000thb deposit. It was a lesson learned the hard way and won't be forgotten.

Better just to avoid having to deal with them and buy new IMHO.

Everywhere you will be having bad experiences and good experiences IMO, I bought one time a 2nd hand car with not any problems at all and a new car as well with no problems as well. If the car is too cheap to be true it probably wont be true, in this way they attract more customers to their shop of course. Just sad to hear you had a bad experience but I do know for a fact there a good stories as well. Buddy of mine bought a PJS 2nd hand and had it for a ok price, not too cheap but still good enough.

BUT lets not make this post go about to buy or not to buy 2nd hand cars.

The question is which cars to buy for fun, I am still not clear about it.

Will go the Benz dealer soon as well to have a look at the CLA 250 AMG again,gonna plan a day to go to BKK and check out some car dealers as well like Milennium because they have loads of good prices 2nd hand sport series with BSI.

I have bought second hand for myself twice in Thailand both times with no problems however my bad experiences with second hand dealers outnumber the good experiences several times over.

I have a fair experience with cars (used to work in the motor trade in the UK) and been owning/driving here for 15+ years so I am not so easily fooled and I am confident about what I am doing.

If you are in any way unsure then buying new in Thailand is the only way forward IMO.

I thought it was a minefield in the UK but the second-hand car market in Thailand takes it to a whole new level. Even Cambodia is easier to deal with and more straightforward with more reasonable pricing and a larger degree of honesty.

It should be noted there is no consumer protection here and it is very much a case of caveat emptor while being sneaky and conniving used to be what second-hand car salesmen were renowned for they have made it an art form in Thailand and will take every pleasure in pulling the wool over your eyes especially as a foreigner with cut and shuts, fake vin numbers, false registration documents, engine transplants, write off repairs, clocked mileage and other such shenanigans fairly common.

Not wanting to derail the thread but a percentage of the people reading this will be looking specifically to buy a first car in Thailand whether new or second hand especially given the thread title so hopefully this will dispel any illusions about what they are getting into.

Biggest problem buying 2nd hand and an Import is the real year... There are so many Imported cars here, even almost new.

What i like is this http://www.one2car.com/MITSUBISHI_PAJERO/K05130389

so what year is it ? guess somewhere between 1999 - 2004 ?

The blue book will show the date of Import eg: 2012..

Many many cars here are Imports, have seen a Benz W123 of 1994 !! was replaced with the W124 at least 6 years before this date, same with the W124 you see 1999 so say models !! yet was replaced with the W201 many years before, so guess these are imports , same on many makes, unless the buyer is well up on model year, minor model change and year be careful, also there are Honda, Toyota, Mitz etc also Imports so don t thing your safe buying these makes.

Many For Sale http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=a13550007 What year is it ? 2005 was a newer model [different front end] here in Thailand, so this one is older than that.

A new s5 B8, should cost around the B6million mark.

A New A5---from AUDI not the grey dealer the base based model is B4m. but in the grey market you can find them from B3.5M+++

deprecation is obviously a factor...but the question is how can a S5 B8 be cheaper than a second hand A5 B8..... :) (funny business) or its been involved in a very very bad accident and the owner wants it gone. Suppose that was the case i would stay a 1km away from it.

the A5 is more expensive than the TT, TTS, A3...actually the A5 is only about B1M cheaper than a RS3. which a mate of mind has and dam its nice if you are into hatch backs.

A new s5 B8, should cost around the B6million mark.

A New A5---from AUDI not the grey dealer the base based model is B4m. but in the grey market you can find them from B3.5M+++

deprecation is obviously a factor...but the question is how can a S5 B8 be cheaper than a second hand A5 B8..... :) (funny business) or its been involved in a very very bad accident and the owner wants it gone. Suppose that was the case i would stay a 1km away from it.

the A5 is more expensive than the TT, TTS, A3...actually the A5 is only about B1M cheaper than a RS3. which a mate of mind has and dam its nice if you are into hatch backs.

That won't be the correct price for the S5.

I am calling shenanigans.

Call them and they will tell you it is and when you go to look at it they will claim a misunderstanding and will try to sell you another piece of junk for B2m that they can't shift off the lot.

They often do this to ascertain how much you are willing to spend and to set gullible buyers up to buy something they want rid of at premium price.

Test drove the A-Class Merc today as they didn't have a CLA-250 available as a demonstrator.

First impressions of the customer's CLA I sat in were good, except for the screen in the middle of the dash which looks like an afterthought and it is also too small. No push button start either and seats weren't as supportive as I expected.

One year wait is confirmed for delivery. The A-Class is available immediately which indicates desirability for both models.

I didn't have much of an issue with the gearbox although throttle response seemed to be lacking. Upon kickdown the power took a couple of seconds to register. Ride was pretty firm but it is something I could live with.

I have placed the CLA under consideration due to resale value, desireability, performance and looks.

Test drove the A-Class Merc today as they didn't have a CLA-250 available as a demonstrator.

First impressions of the customer's CLA I sat in were good, except for the screen in the middle of the dash which looks like an afterthought and it is also too small. No push button start either and seats weren't as supportive as I expected.

One year wait is confirmed for delivery. The A-Class is available immediately which indicates desirability for both models.

I didn't have much of an issue with the gearbox although throttle response seemed to be lacking. Upon kickdown the power took a couple of seconds to register. Ride was pretty firm but it is something I could live with.

I have placed the CLA under consideration due to resale value, desireability, performance and looks.

The A-Class is not on my list either, I am still considering the CLA250AMG, it have 4 doors and the engine is fast enough, even faster then the CLS which is 5M+. Not that found of the front with the little bubbles but I like the back of it. Will be going to the Car Expo which starts next week in Impact. All the big brands are there then and still considering the Z4 as well and will make a testdrive then. Which Benz dealer did you go with the one year waiting list, they told me 2 years in Pattaya.... Even I offered them to pay everything in cash and maybe even a little bit more :)

I was at MB Rama III in Bangkok.

50,000thb down to place an order then the rest can be sorted on delivery.

Seriously considering this car now as it is one of the best looking cars out there. Just have to endure a long wait!

Couple of questions I have regarding navigation package and internet connectivity which I will have to get answers to but other than that it is currently the favourite.

Still cant make a decision. Im now looking at cars twice my budget and feels this is going in the wrong direction as i started to consider financing... whistling.gif

These ones are nice

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1273760

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1257705

And this one, but something wrong with the price

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1248322

And this one blink.png

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1273316

...or just go for a Honda Civic 2.0 for 1.16Mbaht... which is not far from the Volvo V40, which is not far from GT86, with is not far from.... and so on sad.png

Edited by TramsRepus

Still cant make a decision. Im now looking at cars twice my budget and feels this is going in the wrong direction as i started to consider financing... whistling.gif

These ones are nice

This is a grey market car probably, the not sell this model in TH

The e-250 convertible is nice but it doesnt have a hardtop roof

This one probably as well a grey market car but not sure about, it is damn nice though :)

And this one blink.png

Too old but really fast as well :)

...or just go for a Honda Civic 2.0 for 1.16Mbaht... which is not far from the Volvo V40, which is not far from GT86, with is not far from.... and so on sad.png

Read my comments below your links, hoped I could be in assistance a bit :)

or just go for a Honda Civic 2.0 for 1.16Mbaht

or pay double that and get a proper Honda Civic.. the Civic Type R..... 3 door coupé hatchback

only for that price you can get a VW Scirocco..

Is it easier to get parts if needed from Malaysia or Germany ?

or just go for a Honda Civic 2.0 for 1.16Mbaht

or pay double that and get a proper Honda Civic.. the Civic Type R..... 3 door coupé hatchback

only for that price you can get a VW Scirocco..

Is it easier to get parts if needed from Malaysia or Germany ?

The type-R would be nice but Does Honda Thailand sell it?

EDIT: I found them on Talad Rod for around 2 mil for a soon 4-6 years old one. Nea, not for me

Edited by TramsRepus

These ones are nice

This is a grey market car probably, the not sell this model in TH

The e-250 convertible is nice but it doesnt have a hardtop roof

This one probably as well a grey market car but not sure about, it is dam_n nice though smile.png

And this one blink.png

Too old but really fast as well smile.png

Read my comments below your links, hoped I could be in assistance a bit smile.png

I have read that the soft-tops of today are in many cases a better solution than hardtops. Some reviewers cant even understand why some manufactures are still doing hardtops. But im a novice on hartops as i have only own soft-tops before.

A few things (as a Thai)

The S5 for 1.9m is selling the downpayment only there is still finance to pay (ขายดาว Audi S5 V8 4.2 FSI quattro 4WD) the ดาว means downpayment. So expect it is more like 3m-5m likely with a bunch of payments to go.

I expect the TT 2012 is the same - there is no real reason why cars go super cheap on these sites; you tend to get what you pay for; a TT around 2008/9 is around 1.9m - 2.6m depending on options; a TTS or upgraded one (which that one is not) is more - also bear in mind 2012 for an Audi does not necessarily mean it is a real 2012; it might be:

2008 - imported 2012

2011 - first registered 2012

The CLA is a very nice looking car from certain angles, but they have squeezed a lot of car and curves into a small profile; that said it is probably going to grow on you as long as you are under 183cm tall as the driver (I am hitting the ceiling) and you an handle the dual clutch system; who knows maybe Benz will supply an improvement to it or maybe others don't mind it; VW has a dual clutch that actually works.

The thread about the 116i no one seems to specifically say anything about the ACS tune other than to comment on the price

ลองคิดดูเล่นๆนะครับ

116i + AC chip + จอยาว = 1,999,000+120,000+130,000 = 2,249,000 THB ก็ยังถูกกว่า ​​A250 ครับ

If you think for fun, the car plus the chip plus an idrive equivalent is a total of 2.25m so still cheaper than an A250

My personal addition to this, of course when you come to sell it, the chip is worthless.

Edited by steveromagnino

There is another way. Spend peanuts on an older car that is going to get you your money back all day. Find a decent repair shop you can trust and spend 1 milion baht on wine women and song. The rest just waste!!

I bought an immaculate MB 500SEL with a new 3 litre Toyota vvvti 24 valve engine for less than a quarter mill. Its got wired in GPS, remote central locking. excellent stereo with mp3, parking sensors and all electric seats (including the back). It pulls 225bhp and petrol costs are low. The bodywork is immaculate. If I sell it in a couple of years I will get my money back. And in the meantime I have a fantastically fun car that I don't have to worry about.

Result!

There is another way. Spend peanuts on an older car that is going to get you your money back all day. Find a decent repair shop you can trust and spend 1 milion baht on wine women and song. The rest just waste!!

I bought an immaculate MB 500SEL with a new 3 litre Toyota vvvti 24 valve engine for less than a quarter mill. Its got wired in GPS, remote central locking. excellent stereo with mp3, parking sensors and all electric seats (including the back). It pulls 225bhp and petrol costs are low. The bodywork is immaculate. If I sell it in a couple of years I will get my money back. And in the meantime I have a fantastically fun car that I don't have to worry about.

Result!

My friend did this with a baby Benz 190e, and my Mini fits into this criteria (2nd hand but relatively by Thai expensive prices well priced). The only issue is if you want a car that is 100% reliable and for peace of mind, with the most recent innovations, then that means buying new or close to new. In my friend's case, it was a bit of a pain as it kept breaking down; for mine it meant fiddling around to get it how I wanted and dealing with wear and tear; it's there now but if I want to sell it that money to make it good is not factored into what it would sell for.

No right or wrong answer, but probably the middle ground (cars 4 - 8 years old) is where they are still dropping in value, but still cost closer to a new car - whereas an almost new car is almost as good as new, and an 8+ year old car (for some models) means it is already depreciated but still not ancient.

Edited by steveromagnino

Many privately owned cars Thais change every 10 years, low KM, 1st class condition on many, washed and polished after every trip, washed every day even when not used.. often luxury or sports models. these cars are what I class as a good deal, if you call any car here a good price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been on the hunt for a Toyota GT86 for a while now. I have found many GT86 for around 2mil but no one with the spoiler and skirt kit.

But now i have found one, white, with spoiler, side skirts and fatter front and rear bumpers (all original), 10 month old and with only 7000km on the clock for 2mil.

It is a gray import though and it has been modified with new Greedy exhaust and new adjustable and tilt-able (English?) shock absorbers, new wheels etc for around 300k for which he wants an additional 150k extra from me for if i want it.

What do you guys think about it? Will a gray import car give me any extra gray hairs? A new GT86 at Toyota Thailand cost 2,79Mbaht so is it a fair price?

IMy goal is to install a AVO stage-2 turbo kit to it so any warranties will be void anyway. What do you think a new engine would cost if I blow it up :o)

/T

Hello,

I have been on the hunt for a Toyota GT86 for a while now. I have found many GT86 for around 2mil but no one with the spoiler and skirt kit.

But now i have found one, white, with spoiler, side skirts and fatter front and rear bumpers (all original), 10 month old and with only 7000km on the clock for 2mil.

It is a gray import though and it has been modified with new Greedy exhaust and new adjustable and tilt-able (English?) shock absorbers, new wheels etc for around 300k for which he wants an additional 150k extra from me for if i want it.

What do you guys think about it? Will a gray import car give me any extra gray hairs? A new GT86 at Toyota Thailand cost 2,79Mbaht so is it a fair price?

IMy goal is to install a AVO stage-2 turbo kit to it so any warranties will be void anyway. What do you think a new engine would cost if I blow it up ohmy.png)

/T

Sounds like a good deal if you really want to go for the GT86, imo for 2M can get a more decent car. Its still a Toyota, not sth special.

Dont misunderstand me, I have 2 Toyota's as well but for 2M range I prefer to buy sth else like a Nissan 350z, Audi TT or a SLK. Myself deciced to go for a 2nd SLK200 from about 1 to 2 years old. Already on the waitinglist for this now.

I have contacted the sponsor of this subform, siammotorworld.com. They quoted me 5k for a technical check of the car and they also check the documents of the car if its all ok. I believe this is a good deal, better to spend the extra 5k if spending 2M+ for a car.

Hello,

IMy goal is to install a AVO stage-2 turbo kit to it so any warranties will be void anyway. What do you think a new engine would cost if I blow it up ohmy.png)

/T

Sounds like a good deal if you really want to go for the GT86, imo for 2M can get a more decent car. Its still a Toyota, not sth special.

Dont misunderstand me, I have 2 Toyota's as well but for 2M range I prefer to buy sth else like a Nissan 350z, Audi TT or a SLK. Myself deciced to go for a 2nd SLK200 from about 1 to 2 years old. Already on the waitinglist for this now.

I have contacted the sponsor of this subform, siammotorworld.com. They quoted me 5k for a technical check of the car and they also check the documents of the car if its all ok. I believe this is a good deal, better to spend the extra 5k if spending 2M+ for a car.

Yea it is a Toyota. But i can easily get 350-400hp out of the car as i want a fun drivers car. The SLK looks nice but has no rear seat and not much of power, and it looks little like a girlfriend/wifes car as it is most girls driving them in my home country.

There is red Scirocco 2013 (but the interior, esp. center panel looks like a 2012 though) for 1.6M, but the Toyota is a rear wheel drive car and seems to have more after market tuning options and more available spare parts if something goes wrong.

Nissan 350Z or 370Z feels like gambling, many for sale, brand new 2009-10 models with 0km on the clock, which make me think they may be impossible to resale later on.

Is it a waiting list on 2nd-hand SLK's???

Yea, good advice. It seems to be well spent money to get some knowledgeably to lock at the car first.

It was like that before indeed about the SLK's back in Europe but now it isnt and especially in TH. Made a deal with a big Benz dealer in BKK so I still have 2 years warranty left and for a more then fair price, x% below the normal price.

Enjoy the GT86 and keep us updated about your process to buying it so we can all learn and enjoy from it :-)

It was like that before indeed about the SLK's back in Europe but now it isnt and especially in TH. Made a deal with a big Benz dealer in BKK so I still have 2 years warranty left and for a more then fair price, x% below the normal price.

Enjoy the GT86 and keep us updated about your process to buying it so we can all learn and enjoy from it :-)

Can i ask have much you paid for the SLK? What motor size?

• 2 weeks later...