My cat is missing

Berniea

Hi, I recently moved to Pattaya with my husband and four cats. One of my cats has been missing now for nearly 3 weeks and we are very worried. I am having a lot of difficulty because of the language barrier. I have handed out posters with a reward for information resulting in her return but have had nothing back. Can anyone suggest anything that I can do to try and find out either where she may be or what may have happened to her. We are changing the reward to 10000 baht. I don't know who or where to turn for help.

TIA

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your post made me very curious.

I see you are very cheap in regards to food for yourself (your other posts).

Which makes me believe 10 000 Baht reward for a cat is either:

1. Troll.

or

2. Crazy cat lady (NOT cat woman).

The only comments I remember posting was about a good curry!! It had nothing to do with cheap. I am not a crazy cat lady, what I did was rescue 4 street cats in Dubai and adopted them and no, I didn't force them to stay with me they have wanted to because they have always been looked after well, loved and most of all felt safe. I am very serious about the 10000 baht reward. Please don't insult me.

You "rescued" 4 cats (from whom?) in Dubai, and then you brought them to Thailand?

May I ask how long the quarantine lasted, what shots they received, and what it cost?

Surely you must understand that this sounds a bit ehhhhmm eccentric maybe?

Anyhow, with 10 000 Baht reward, I believe and hope your cat will be found, or it returns by itself.

smile.png

They were rescue cats. There are a lot of charity organisations that rescue cats and dogs off the streets of not just Dubai but the UAE. People adopt a lot of these poor animals that are left to fend for themselves, because of that they are often injured or killed for no other reason than some people just don't care.

No quarantine! One of the things you have to abide by if you adopt an animal is that they have all their shots, get neutered and are fitted with a microchip. Depending on the age of the animal, all of the above may have already been done and all you need to pay for are the boosters.

Where I come from this is normal. We treat our animals with love and care.

• Like 2

Money is not an issue when it comes to pets. Some people care about their pets as much as they would their kids.

Rescued street cats or pedigree is irrelevant.

Hope you find the little fella/lassie alive and well...

Thank you so much cornishcarlos. I do love her and my heart is breaking not knowing where she is or what has happened to her. She is such a timid little thing, I am hoping she is still alive for the simple fact she hides away very well when she is scared.

• Like 1

3 weeks is a long time, especially as you have recently moved there.

She is probably not too familiar with the surroundings, otherwise she would have been back straight away.

Don't want to upset you anymore than you already are but as I'm sure you are aware, that is generally the case with cats.

Fingers crossed, someone has taken her in and will see your posters :)

3 weeks is a long time, especially as you have recently moved there.

She is probably not too familiar with the surroundings, otherwise she would have been back straight away.

Don't want to upset you anymore than you already are but as I'm sure you are aware, that is generally the case with cats.

Fingers crossed, someone has taken her in and will see your posters smile.png

Thank you cornishcarlos. When we moved here we kept all of them in for around 6 weeks as advised so do they do get to know their surroundings. She was last seen on a high wall going over the other side. When we were finally told this (still not sure if it was the truth) we went around to look for her, it had been around 5 days, there would have been no way she could have gotten back onto the wall to get back to where we live. We have been here around 4 months now. She has always come running when I have called but that time she didn't and we have been searching ever since.

Thank you so much for your understanding and well wishes.

• Like 1

I moved to a new house and one of my two cats got out a window at night that the movers had left open. He was gone for four weeks. At one point, the nun at the nearby wat said a dog had killed an "orange cat" that looked like a pet, and I was sure that was him.

Four weeks after leaving, he walked in the front door as if nothing has happened. That was five months ago, and now he goes outside to sit on the front porch, but he never wanders.

I wish you the best.

Thank you. I just can't give up hope. I do keep calling her and looking for her in the hope she hears my voice and makes her way to me. I pray that she does just walk up to the door meowing to get in (not let the others out since this has happened)

Than you for your kind words and ray of hope.

• Like 1

It's always possible that hunger has caused it to overcome its timidness, to some extent. It's possible therefore that it may eventually return, and at the least it's being feed - that's a better thought. And bear in mind that song ... the cat came back the very next day, it wouldn't stay away. :)

• Like 1

What hass worked for me has been:

Walking around calling and listening intently for an answering meow - but you have done this and also after 3 weeks, less likely to work

posting photos with reward f=offer (be sure it is in Thai) - put up around ATM machines, local stores etc

Spread the word among neighbors and if possible recruit a local on a fee basis to search for her. An old lady on my street worked for me once. (But in that instance the pet had been taken in by someone in the village).

It is heartbreaking to lose a cat. But you never know, she may have been taken in by someone and be safe.

P.S> Post a pix of her here, you never know, maybe one of the TV members will see her....

• Like 2

I moved to a new house and one of my two cats got out a window at night that the movers had left open. He was gone for four weeks. At one point, the nun at the nearby wat said a dog had killed an "orange cat" that looked like a pet, and I was sure that was him.

Four weeks after leaving, he walked in the front door as if nothing has happened. That was five months ago, and now he goes outside to sit on the front porch, but he never wanders.

I wish you the best.

Thank you. I just can't give up hope. I do keep calling her and looking for her in the hope she hears my voice and makes her way to me. I pray that she does just walk up to the door meowing to get in (not let the others out since this has happened)

Berniea, Sadly it is not uncommon here for pets to be kidnapped for the reward money, so your cat

may be closer than you think. For that reason I would advise going easy on the reward amount or

you may very well get your cat back only to find a short time later that one of your other cats will go

for a wander.

I wish you the best.

I wish you the best.

Berniea, Sadly it is not uncommon here for pets to be kidnapped for the reward money, so your cat

may be closer than you think. For that reason I would advise going easy on the reward amount or

you may very well get your cat back only to find a short time later that one of your other cats will go

for a wander.

My husband has said the same thing. We do not let them out anymore. I have had my eldest over 3 years and I have never had to take them to the vets so much in all that time as I have since moving here.

I don't care about the money, I just want her back and if it takes 10000 baht then so be it, I also know I need to be careful. Thank you for the warning. I really do appreciate everyone's help and kind words.

Why don't you post a pic here and a screen shot of the rough area it went missing from Google Earth?

I can feel your pain in your post.

Thank you Chao Lao Beach, I tried to with my original post but the internet is rubbish here although we are supposed to have the best you can get. she is an Arabian Mau, known for their large ears. She isn't a pedigree or anything like that, she is just a common looking cat from the Middle East. she is white, grey and black, not a nice looking cat at all! She is around 1 year and 3 months old. she has a red and white collar on with a tag with her name and my Dubai number (out of service now) it also has a bell on (to scare any birds she might try to hunt) She is very timid and scared of most things. If the internet is better tomorrow I will post a pic. We live in Banglamung, last time she was seen was going over the wall into Serene Sands.

Your post made me very curious.

I see you are very cheap in regards to food for yourself (your other posts).

Which makes me believe 10 000 Baht reward for a cat is either:

1. Troll.

or

2. Crazy cat lady (NOT cat woman).

The only comments I remember posting was about a good curry!! It had nothing to do with cheap. I am not a crazy cat lady, what I did was rescue 4 street cats in Dubai and adopted them and no, I didn't force them to stay with me they have wanted to because they have always been looked after well, loved and most of all felt safe. I am very serious about the 10000 baht reward. Please don't insult me.

You "rescued" 4 cats (from whom?) in Dubai, and then you brought them to Thailand?

May I ask how long the quarantine lasted, what shots they received, and what it cost?

Surely you must understand that this sounds a bit ehhhhmm eccentric maybe?

Anyhow, with 10 000 Baht reward, I believe and hope your cat will be found, or it returns by itself.

xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

They were rescue cats. There are a lot of charity organisations that rescue cats and dogs off the streets of not just Dubai but the UAE. People adopt a lot of these poor animals that are left to fend for themselves, because of that they are often injured or killed for no other reason than some people just don't care.

No quarantine! One of the things you have to abide by if you adopt an animal is that they have all their shots, get neutered and are fitted with a microchip. Depending on the age of the animal, all of the above may have already been done and all you need to pay for are the boosters.

Where I come from this is normal. We treat our animals with love and care.

You don't say what area you are from or a description of your beloved cat. Please don't listen to the bad responses as these people are clearly not animal lovers and don't appreciate the love and care that comes from both sides. Good luck i do sincerely hope you find your little friend safe soon.

• Like 1

I wouldn't give up hope yet. I have a run of the mill mekong (broken tail), and I've had him disappear for several weeks before showing up one morning and waltzing in the house like nothing had happened. Last time the wife was sure he was dead, but as I predicted home he came. Cats can and do survive in the wild, vast gekko food supply out there, but they have a great homing instinct

• Like 2

My neighbour's cat disappeared out a window and was gone for a few weeks. I found it visiting the garbage bin outside the building. I guess it had been hiding nearby. It was very happy to be reunited with its owner. Maybe you could leave some food out with a familiar blanket or toy? I hope you find her.

• Like 1

Hi, I sent you a message, since here links are not allowed due to spam, this one isn't, but TV probably does.

It is from a cats shelter in Pattaya, whom might be able to help

Also maybe a photo or 2 and a general area in Pattaya you live, posted here, might help.

Edited by ronthai

Hi, I sent you a message, since here links are not allowed due to spam, this one isn't, but TV probably does.

It is from a cats shelter in Pattaya, whom might be able to help

Also maybe a photo or 2 and a general area in Pattaya you live might help.

Not quite correct the actual rule reads:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site.

Hope the cat turns up OK

Why don't you post a pic here and a screen shot of the rough area it went missing from Google Earth?

I can feel your pain in your post.

i agree...a pic of your pussy would be of benefit.

Chose your words more carefully. Better say a photo of your cat

• Like 2

Cats are very clever. I had a cat that used to go to visit its mother, which lived 6kms away for a few days when it felt like it. Another returned to our former home in the south of England when after we moved 180kms north. Perhaps your cat has gone walkabout.

Hi

I really understand just how bad you feel. I am also searching for my cat who has been missing since 1 November. She is normally an indoor cat and is not used to being outside. I am assuming she fell off the window, may have injured herself and run off to hide or decided to take the opportunity to explore her neighbourhood. My biggest worry is that she has an illness which requires special care - am beside myself with worry! We have lived in Bangkok for a little over a year and her territory has always been our house due to my concerns of this very issue. I too have offered a THB10000 reward for her return in the hope that it inspires people to return her or to at least look for her. My biggest mistake was not having a collar on her as she was an indoor cat. I believe that a collar denotes ownership in Thailand so without it, she may have been assumed to be a stray (although hardly likely as she is a Birman and looks very unique compared to the local cats). She has a microchip but again especially in Bangkok, most people do not even know what that is so wouldn't think to have her scanned at a vet.

I have taken the following steps to try and retrieve her:

1) Flyers in Thai and English placed into all mail boxes in the our mooban included the next door streets and surrounding areas.

2) Posters anywhere I can affix them - including the security gate of our mooban, common areas, bus stops etc

3) Listings on Thai cat loving groups on Facebook(in Thai!) as well as with animal rescue groups such as PAWs. Kind local cat lovers have reshared my post over 300 times now - anything helps!

4) A notice on Craigslist Bangkok

5) A notice in the Pets section of Thai Visa

6) Emailed the notice to every single Vet in Bangkok in case someone happens to bring her in

7) Visited the horrible pet section at the Chatuchak markets in the off chance that some pet trafficker is trying to sell her (a long shot I know but worth trying).

8) Every day I walk through our mooban calling her just in case. Whenever we leave our mooban, we are on the look out.

9) Our lovely Maid (who is also devastated about the loss of her favourite kitty) has also been scouring the neighbourhood speaking to all the staff, drivers, gardeners etc. Plus I also spoke to our Mooban Juristic officer manager and he briefed his security staff to be on the look out for her every single day. This was the only way to overcome language issues - get someone to help and be 'my voice'. Had my husband's secretary do all the translations. If you don't have access to these types of resources, hire someone to do it - it is cheap and worth the investment.

10) I keep my fingers crossed that one of the 1.5 metre long Water monitor lizards which regularly sunbake in my garden due to our lakeside location, did not do anything to her. Generally though - they run away from my other cats so I hope they did the same with Mya.

I am deeply concerned about my Mya - it is frightening to think that she may be injured or living in circumstances that are not good for her. I just hope she will walk through the door one day soon but in the meantime, I believe you are doing the right thing - it is very important for you to continuously search for your cat and not just wait for her to reappear (I know cats tend to go walkabout but in light of the fact that your cat is new to the area, it is good to actively search in case she has gotten herself into any trouble or is frightened and hiding due to being chased by another animal etc. Frightened cats will hide even if they hear or see you - it is a self protection mechanism). I wish all the best for you in your search. Don't give up! Our cats or indeed any pet, become family members so they also deserve every effort possible to relocate them especially when they are in an environment that they are not used to. Feel free to contact me directly if I can provide you with some good social media options to help out in your search. I am happy to send you over the Thai text that I have for contacting vets, flyers, etc, if that will help you.

take care

A