Wine by the glass

thaipod

I enjoy a nice glass of red wine with a meal.Not a stickler for convention so red with chicken and fish as well.

However Thailand is not a place I drink wine. No wine culture so it is buyer beware. I am not a wine snob and

have no issues with wine in a box or screw tops. No chance of the wine being corked. The biggest issue is how

the wine has been kept/stored. With the heat and humidity and no understanding of the care needed by the

average Thai distributor/retailer so you are rolling the dice. Plenty of good wines available from around the world.

Australia, Chile, Argentina, as well as Europe. I suggest bringing your own wine and paying a corkage fee to

the restaurant.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you order red wine in Sizzler ??? I have not any idea to understand it. They waned to cheat you, you ignored, and they run away and never come back. Don't think they forgot you. This is the daily routine.

Yes, we have only just touched on the fact that there is approx. a 400% luxury tax applied to the importation of wine.

This tax makes Thailand one of the most expensive places in the world to buy wine, and consequently there is an issue with getting good wine because it is simply not economical.

I recently read that there is a rather severe international wine shortage going on now. Basically the demand is much greater than current production. China is trending to become the largest wine consuming nation, believe it or not. Prices are going up everywhere on wine because of this, and with Thailand's sad over-taxation of wine, things will be even worse here. The powers that be in Thailand clearly don't want Thailand to be a major wine drinking nation, and it won't be.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, we have only just touched on the fact that there is approx. a 400% luxury tax applied to the importation of wine.

This tax makes Thailand one of the most expensive places in the world to buy wine, and consequently there is an issue with getting good wine because it is simply not economical.

Wine is my favourite tipple. I could never understand why there has always been such a high tax on wine here in Thailand. Considering the fact that the Thai wine industry is almost non-existent. It's not as if they are trying to protect the local producers. Fortunately I live very close to the Laos border and can get my Thai/Lao friends to provide me with constant supply. Duty free, but still more expensive than the same product off the shelf in my country of birth. As others have stated here, storage of red wine can be a problem due to the high temperatures. Similar problem in Australia. There you can buy dedicated wine fridges to keep your favourite tipple at the recommended European room temperature of 17/18C. Cheers to all you winos

• Like 1

I think in general Sizzler the world over isn't exactly renowned for its wine. In the States I've had some truly horrendous wine at Sizzler and its ilk. Now there are restaurants in Bangkok where the wine choice is outstanding (Face being one of them) I just think Sizzler just isn't going to ever be one of them

Probably the bottle has been open too long or it was a bad bottle, that happens with every type of wine now and than.

The red wine at Sizzler is not that bad, it's a special type made for them by Jacobs Creek. I no it's not grand cru, but for an industrial wine given the crazy prices in Thailand for wine it's good value.

Problem with Sizzler is the same as in many Thai restaurants and shops, there is no service and the staff don't know shit about what they are selling or serving. If you complain they look like a sheep and to run away from it.

I would guess, but could be wrong, that wine from these outlets is the vacuum box variety.

That would be the best way they could provide it under low consumption conditions. Absolutely nothing wrong with some of the 'boxed' wines that come from Chile, Argentina, America as everyday quaffing wines. Don't agree that 'Jacob Creek' is crap; try the very much overpriced Thai Crap and compare! I have to say, that now that they have imposed ridiculous tax rates on 'Boxed' wines that the bottled wines are becoming more attractive.

• Like 1

Also people, when you are handed the cork don't sniff it. Thats not why it was handed to you. Check that it is damp on the bottom and that no wine has seeped up the sides of the cork.

Nonsense - if its corked or off then a god sniff of the cork will be your first warning! I worked for a Michelin starred chef who said that it is pointless for 99.9% of the population to taste the wine as they don't have a clue - however 99.9% of the population will be offended by the smell of the cork from wine that's gone wrong !

Anyone back to the subject - I am stunned given the Thai obsession with money how they continue to miss a massive income potential with wine. Their absurd tax set-up means a bottle of very ordinary wine in the UK costing a fiver will be upwards of £20 !!!! A bottle of ordinary champagne upwards of £100 !!!!

Given that Europe's obsession with wine has gone through the roof over the last 10-15 years the Thais really are missing out big time! Maybe some of the extroadinary large guts would reduce if some beer drinking was switched to wine!

There is no smell on the cork that you can't smell better by pouring some wine in a glass and sniffing it.

Wine Corks - Don't Be Dumb - YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b1j3-_EHX4

Also people, when you are handed the cork don't sniff it. Thats not why it was handed to you. Check that it is damp on the bottom and that no wine has seeped up the sides of the cork.

Nonsense - if its corked or off then a god sniff of the cork will be your first warning! I worked for a Michelin starred chef who said that it is pointless for 99.9% of the population to taste the wine as they don't have a clue - however 99.9% of the population will be offended by the smell of the cork from wine that's gone wrong !

Anyone back to the subject - I am stunned given the Thai obsession with money how they continue to miss a massive income potential with wine. Their absurd tax set-up means a bottle of very ordinary wine in the UK costing a fiver will be upwards of £20 !!!! A bottle of ordinary champagne upwards of £100 !!!!

Given that Europe's obsession with wine has gone through the roof over the last 10-15 years the Thais really are missing out big time! Maybe some of the extroadinary large guts would reduce if some beer drinking was switched to wine!

''however 99.9% of the population will be offended by the smell of the cork from wine that's gone wrong !''

Some sommeliers I know would argue to the contrary

I recently read that there is a rather severe international wine shortage going on now. Basically the demand is much greater than current production. China is trending to become the largest wine consuming nation, believe it or not. Prices are going up everywhere on wine because of this, and with Thailand's sad over-taxation of wine, things will be even worse here. The powers that be in Thailand clearly don't want Thailand to be a major wine drinking nation, and it won't be.

Just hope it will not push up prices too much - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-24746539

Chinese think red wine is a luxury and it is often served at weddings. They tax it heavily as well but in contrast to Thailand some of their local production is quite palatable.

As to the whole master of Wine/sommelier thing I hope heijoshin was being judicious with the truth as you need to look at other countries accreditation/certification - Master of Wine issued in UK by the Wine and Spirit Education Trust and I cannot remember what the French call theirs plus all the other wine producing countries.

While many of us cherish the mystique of popping a wine cork, screw caps are becoming more commonplace in the wine industry. Half a century ago, screw caps were associated with cheap rotgut wine, but now they have replaced corks in many premium wines and at many of the world’s best wineries.

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=8563

Château Margaux Corks a Problem With a Screw Cap But corked wine is the most serious as its foul smell leaves the wine undrinkable. So in a bid to find a solution to the problem, Mr. Pontallier says Château Margaux's R&D department began an experiment a little more than 10 years ago, bottling a number of its wines under a variety of closures.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203918304577241182575505006

Or after it is opened try the method below. Or a squirt of nitrogen.

post-187908-0-59928700-1384497460_thumb.

Highly unlikely to get corked wine these days unless it is an old vintage.

By definition if its in a screw top or box....

I'm told that they have worked out what exactly causes a wine to become corked. Apparently they identified a fungus which lives in the cork and is activated by the presense of chlorides such as chlorine found in the water used to wash wine bottles. No chloride equals no fungus growth equals no corked wine.

Highly unlikely to get corked wine these days unless it is an old vintage.

By definition if its in a screw top or box....

I'm told that they have worked out what exactly causes a wine to become corked. Apparently they identified a fungus which lives in the cork and is activated by the presense of chlorides such as chlorine found in the water used to wash wine bottles. No chloride equals no fungus growth equals no corked wine.

There isn't enough cork in the world to put a cork in every bottle of wine anyway.

As to the whole master of Wine/sommelier thing I hope heijoshin was being judicious with the truth as you need to look at other countries accreditation/certification - Master of Wine issued in UK by the Wine and Spirit Education Trust and I cannot remember what the French call theirs plus all the other wine producing countries.

Master of Wine is only in the UK.

There are numerous certifying orgs in France, for France.

Master Sommelier, for which the Court of Master Sommeliers is the worldwide certifying organization, includes every country, including GB and France, both of whom have MS members.

I know all this because I have a great friend, still in California, who is a Master Sommelier. The guy can look at a bucket of wine from a hundred paces on a galloping steed, and tell you the how much nitrogen was in the soil when the grapes were harvested.

Thankfully, on a more practical level, back in 1988, he told me what wines to buy for an investment. He was dead on. What I paid $20 a bottle for then, now goes for upwards of $3000.

The Beaujolais Nouveau should be arriving at the end of this month.

I agree that a cheapy red is probably better when drunk slightly chilled. Or go the Spanish way and drink a calemucho which is cheap table wine mixed with coca cola. Can be quite refreshing and takes away the sickly sweet taste of the coke.

I was in Andalusia Spain a few years ago and the mix there was original (cloudy) lemonade. The same very refreshing. I forget what it was called though.

jb1

For starters you will never get a glass of wine that has not come out of the fridge it is just to hot left out.

The likes of sizzles will buy the cheapest wine they can get because it is sold by the glass. For your self in the hotel or some places will let you BYO, go to one of the big supermarkets they have good range, wine is pretty expensive here, I often bring a few bottles or cask with my from New Zealand.

When you buy a glass or a bottle red in a bar or restaurant ask for an ice bucket and put it in for 10 mins.

I am a red wine drinker and it pisses me of, as a tip do not buy a bottle of Thai wine it is shit believe me.

Yeah I've never seen wine on the starters menu either.

I agree that a cheapy red is probably better when drunk slightly chilled. Or go the Spanish way and drink a calemucho which is cheap table wine mixed with coca cola. Can be quite refreshing and takes away the sickly sweet taste of the coke.

I was in Andalusia Spain a few years ago and the mix there was original (cloudy) lemonade. The same very refreshing. I forget what it was called though.

jb1

I think you're correct with the name, I used to also be fond of making this and selling it off a push cart on my front lawn during the long hot summer holidays. It's 1 cup sugar, to 5 whole lemons + 50% water with plenty of ice.

Master Sommelier, for which the Court of Master Sommeliers is the worldwide certifying organization, includes every country, including GB and France, both of whom have MS members.

I know all this because I have a great friend, still in California, who is a Master Sommelier. The guy can look at a bucket of wine from a hundred paces on a galloping steed, and tell you the how much nitrogen was in the soil when the grapes were harvested.

Thankfully, on a more practical level, back in 1988, he told me what wines to buy for an investment. He was dead on. What I paid $20 a bottle for then, now goes for upwards of $3000.

Have you been able to resist drinking it though - if you have then both congrats and some commiserations - if you know what I mean thumbsup.gif

Have you been able to resist drinking it though - if you have then both congrats and some commiserations - if you know what I mean thumbsup.gif

I drank one bottle a couple of years ago. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

The rest is now 10,000 miles away.

jb1

I think you're correct with the name, I used to also be fond of making this and selling it off a push cart on my front lawn during the long hot summer holidays. It's 1 cup sugar, to 5 whole lemons + 50% water with plenty of ice.

Ah the wonders of the Internet I have managed to find the name of the drink I was talking about.

Check link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinto_de_verano

jb1