Thailand's coloured conflicts always have the same outline - feudalism

webfact

One thing (and only one thing) I know about Asian politics is that it's played on a higher level than I'll ever understand, having grown up in the west.

Any time I think I know what's going on, it really just means that one side's spin doctors have done a better job than the other side's spin doctors.

Seems The Who and Mao were both right:

-Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

-All political power emanates from the barrel of a gun.

(I'm paraphrasing Mao; it's a direct quote from The Who)

Edited by impulse

Talk to most foreigners about Thai politics and you'll quickly notice they understand little about the multicoloured conflict.

I didn't see anything in the article I didn't know already....

Dear Thai writer, Don't underestimate the insight and/or intelligence of "outsiders" to understand Thailand and its peculiar behavior.

So true. But one could just as easily say, "Dear Farang writer, Don't underestimate the insight and/or intelligence of "outsiders" to understand Farangs and their peculiar behavior".

Just a different perspective and please, don't consider it a flame. It was not meant as such.

I think the average foreigner that lives here for a while has a much more balanced view on the problem than the average Thai.

The average Thai is very likely to be indoctrinated by "education", ("helping"/corruption facilitating) "friends", or by one or the other satellite TV channel owned by a political group.

In my opinion Thai people like to choose sides. I meet very few Thai people that have knowledge about the background of the whole problem. Most people talk in slogans, and very few people can give a balanced analysis of the problem. The writer of this article is clearly an exception.

Talk to most foreigners about Thai politics and you'll quickly notice they understand little about the multicoloured conflict.

Dear Thai writer, Don't underestimate the insight and/or intelligence of "outsiders" to understand Thailand and its peculiar behavior.

Indeed. This whole Thailand is special, farang no understand bs is very tedious. Firstly as though Thailand has a monopoly on this type of stupidity in politics and secondly that farangs are as utterly gullible as Thais about what is going on here.

Yes, and Thais don't understand farangness

Thailand has Thai-style democracy (TSD). Former Thai PM Pramjol Kukrit championed this type of democracy in which society is strictly hierarchical and structured in a way so every person fulfills particular functions and where social mobility is limited, if not impossible. In terms of governance, the Thai style is a political regime where the leader had absolute power so that order, peace, security and progression can be sustained. Western-style democracy, on the other hand, just leads to chaotic politics according to those who support TSD. Those who benefit from TSD defend the notion that Thailand is too elite-oriented and too hierarchical to be successful in its attempts to establish strong democratic structures and culture. Thaksin challenged this view that democracy is delivered from above. Supporters of TSD suggest that the poor and ignorant who support Thaksin do not know what is best for them so a coup becomes necessary to remove a dishonest man and help these poor and ignorant people. They were just not ready for Western-style democracy. Hence they get a Thai-style democracy emphasizing loyalty, traditionalism, nationalism and paternalism.

Which assumes that it can be created as a system without the barrel of a gun.

Their system cannot be adopted in the long term because it goes against human nature. So, yes farangs cannot understand thainess because it is unsustainable nonsense.

To be fair to the Thaksin camp, they do have a clear mandate to govern. They won the election and enjoy the support of the majority of Thais, many of whom remain poor and uneducated.

Can you believe it a national news paper claiming the PTP had over 50% of the vote.

Well I was them and running around saying that the PTPredshirt alliance won most of the votes I would be to embarrassed to show my face in public.

It would appear some of the Nation's writers have been to the red shirt school on democracy.

Maybe if they got 9 more of their obviously gifted friends to gather they could have them all take of their shoes if they have any body who can count have them hold out there hands then count their fingers and toes. Then remove them to a safe place where they can not be mistaken as a different person when they count the rest and when they get the 48 send them in to another room so there is no chance of a duplicate vote no matter how much Thaksin is paying them.

. ThenThe 48% would have visual proof that they were taken for a fool which they probably are and would have visual proof that they had been taken for a fool.

Foreigners have no need or desire to become embroiled in the conflict.

Other than the obvious corruption of many officials who increase their wealth at the expense of the people - it is a simple matter to evaluate a politicians increase in net worthand subtract his salary and business income to realize that billions are diverted to bribery and corruption.

OH - Sorry - any foreigner who has been stopped by Police, know about bribery.

Foreigners have no need or desire to become embroiled in the conflict.

Other than the obvious corruption of many officials who increase their wealth at the expense of the people - it is a simple matter to evaluate a politicians increase in net worthand subtract his salary and business income to realize that billions are diverted to bribery and corruption.

OH - Sorry - any foreigner who has been stopped by Police, know about bribery.

The irony is, that the writer hams up the reasoning that the situation is that for all the complex analysis, the answer is basic feudalism.

So what she's saying is "oh, you silly foreigners with your complex analysis, we Thais aren't that clever, were just living in a feudal society".

As though that is something to be proud of.

The causes and the solutions are both things that can not be discussed in Thailand. People don't want to risk doing 15 years in jail for even suggesting Thailand's future will follow that of other countries that made big changes. There are people based outside of Thailand that have expressed better commentaries on this situation and cause. Certainly better and more insightful than any Thailand based journalist can