Thailand promising to be world hub of gold

Thailand promising to be world hub of gold

BANGKOK, 17 November 2013 (NNT) - The World Gold Council has suggested that Thailand has the capacity to be a major hub for gold thanks to the surge in Thailand's investment demand for gold.

The World Gold Council has recently reported that demand in Thailand for gold jewelry rose by 57% year-on-year in the third quarter of 2013; the country also saw a 126% year-on-year rise in gold bar investment. The Council attributed the rise in demand for gold to concerns that the Thai baht might be devalued.

Thailand’s higher demand for gold has caused a ripple effect throughout Asia since the country is an important route to channel gold into other markets, especially India; given that Thai gold imports substantially benefit from the Thai-Indian bilateral free trade agreement, which lowers import taxes to 1% on Thai jewelry, compared to 10% on other countries.

Although Thailand’s consumer demand for gold paled in comparison to those of India and China, its year-on-year growth rate is higher than both countries'.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-17 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

It has a very very long way to go to catch up with India, the Gulf States, South Africa and Russia who have been dealing in gold for centuries now.

What do they want to do?

Buy up all the gold in the world to create a shortage so the price will rise just as they tried with rice?

It will never happen as Thailand does not have enough money for it.

Thailand promising to be world hub of gold “ph34r.png

It may be happening in a way that may not be so obvious to many…………………………..

And because of its traditional gold ties, regional commerce, and generous transportation options, Thailand has now become a major transit point for international gold smuggling destined for India.

I’ve noticed this on the ground; there’s been a surge of gold shops and new inventory in the marketplace, particularly the small ‘biscuit’ bars that are easier to smuggle.

Much of this is bound for India.

http://www.sovereignman.com/offshore/not-exactly-the-brightest-way-to-smuggle-gold-13193/

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

The World Gold Council recently released its quarterly data on global trends, and the numbers are very clear: India's gold demand cratered, dropping 32% because of the restrictions.

In Thailand, however, gold demand is up 125% from the 3rd quarter of 2012.

I've noticed this on the ground; there's been a surge of gold shops and new inventory in the marketplace, particularly the small 'biscuit' bars that are easier to smuggle.

Much of this is bound for India.

Indian customs officials say that the amount of gold seized has soared over 300% this year.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-16/not-exactly-smartest-way-smuggle-gold

Also, Thailand promising to be the hub of all hubs , you name it, they will be the hub !!!

coffee1.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they now have all the bases covered ... there is nothing else left to be the hub of, so this should be the last 'hub report' that we hear ... hopefully...!!

I see that somebody has posted charts and graphs showing gold is getting cheaper to buy. Are they inferring this only happens in Thailand? I thought gold prices were set internationally ! Thai Gold is still gold. I am looking at the precious metals index, but do not see anything about "Thai" gold. What am I missing?

I see that somebody has posted charts and graphs showing gold is getting cheaper to buy. Are they inferring this only happens in Thailand? I thought gold prices were set internationally ! Thai Gold is still gold. I am looking at the precious metals index, but do not see anything about "Thai" gold. What am I missing?

But is Thai gold really gold? Surely the world gold price is set according to "pure" gold (99.99%), while Thailand and surrounding countries are quite happy to use 96% gold as a benchmark.

If they want to be a "world" hub then surely they will have to start dealing in real gold, won't they? Or will they just insist that the rest of the world dilutes its gold to follow the Thai system?