Healthy fish in Thailand (small size and not farmed), Mackerel is good but what else ?

thailandbeachisland

Panga (Pangasius) fish is a Mekong catfish. My local Makro in Chiang Mai has tons of Panga frozen fillets in their frozen fish display cabinets, and prices are very cheap. Some of it is labeled "Dory" fish.

I assume it's a very clean, healthy fish to eat, carefully tested by Thai Ministry of Health. Otherwise, this fish would not be in the Thai market. Thank god for the government food inspectors!

+1 I like to coat them In batter and bread crumbs,,, they go nice with a big plate of chips and baked beans thumbsup.gif

Edited by welsh1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anybody tried the Indian Halibut from Foodland? I was thinking about that for fish and chips tonight.

I buy fresh Indian Halibut & Sea Perch from Macros, both very nice.

I think as far as contamination goes your'e damned if you do & damned if you don't as I'd say pretty well all sea food on this planet is contaminated with something or other now, as is all farmed fish/seafood, farmed Mekong giant Catfish has got to be one of the worst from what I've seen.

I think you've just got to pay your'e money & take your'e choice complete with contaminants these days,

& of course farmed Meat & veg is just as bad... Welcome to the 21st century & if like me you are over 50 just thank your lucky stars that you had decent food for most of your life... w00t.gif

Panga (Pangasius) fish is a Mekong catfish. My local Makro in Chiang Mai has tons of Panga frozen fillets in their frozen fish display cabinets, and prices are very cheap. Some of it is labeled "Dory" fish.

I assume it's a very clean, healthy fish to eat, carefully tested by Thai Ministry of Health. Otherwise, this fish would not be in the Thai market. Thank god for the government food inspectors!

Check the Pangasius sire on You tube, Bob.

But how did this fish get past the food inspectors in Thailand?

Just so as you know "where I am coming from" I would consider someone who suggests that Makrel is a good eating fish may be a little short on taste buds.

As already mentioned by other posters Alaskan Pollok is very similar in Cod for taste no matter which way it is cooked and is a quite acceptable taste.

Common knowledge is that a major portion of Pangasus fish (or whatever you like to name it) is farmed in Vietnam in the area of the mouth of the Mekong.

An asset to the purchaser of any Seafood in Australia is that it is compulsory, and policed, that the vendor must prominatly display the country of origin of each item for sale.

Dissapointing for me is that "The King of Australian Fish'" Barramundi is Labeled [correctly] in Australia - - "Product of Vietnam". Obviously another Mekong farm!!

I believe Barramundi is ****Thai language removed **** (pla kaphong-khao), aka Sea Perch or Sea Bass, in Thailand.

Widely available and popular.

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

we are talking about Thailand, Australia is my opinion of the best seafood, thumbsup.gif

your words pal: best seafood in the world is from Australia, ! so, got anything to back up that claim?

as I stated, it is my opinion, like <deleted> we all have themsmile.png

Has anybody tried the Indian Halibut from Foodland? I was thinking about that for fish and chips tonight.

I have tried this from Makro. It was off, and i had to give it to the cat.

I have heard good fish and chip stories about this, but I wont touch it again

What's the Thai name for Alaskan Pollock Fish at Makro? Thanks!

-Arasakan Por-rok ?

-Por-rok khong arasaka ?

-Pla chae khaeng khong nok ?

SKU 5 704 025 019 652 for loins (fillets also available)

Edited by eddie61

best seafood in the world is from Australia

how do you define best? you have any quantitative data to back that up?

very strict regulations on size, season, pollutants, etc

look at it

eat it

it is the best

and most is shipped OS

so its NO! just as i thought

actually if you had ever tried it you would know the answer. Australian seafood is reknowned throughout the world just as is Alaskan crab etc, it is the people that eat it that judge it. You want an definitive answer then you need to go out and ask people. The facts have been stated, not good enough for you then you have to do some running round on your own or simply go over there and try it, you obviously have a different method of grading seafood to everyone else in the world so I guess you will just have to do it all yourself, have funlaugh.png

I can confirm that Australia has the best seafood, and loads of it!

The Makro fish i never tried but it smells so bad that i can't even go in there. I also saw frozen strawberry's and other fruits being filled in the freezers there and they were all defrosted! They just froze them again so i don't eat them no more.

A burramundi in Australia looks totally different then the seabass in the Thai restaurants. I didn't know they are being bred in the Mehkong so i won't eat them here.

I also have seen all baby-fish for sale on the thai markets, i don't understand them. Why eat a babyfish from 3 cm while it can be 20 kg when it is adult.

Frozen fish tastes far not as good as fresh fish but okay if we don't have a choice then i will eat it. I like barracuda but never see them for sale, sometimes small ones from 30 cm but they can be huge and give good steaks.

Also the Thai fishballs i never tried, are they any good?

Just about the only fish I eat now are those Makro Pollock loins. All the fish looks great laid out in the supermarkets, but try a whiff, or check the gills, I never end up buying anything anymore, so many disappointments

We are not the only ones with problems

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509010/Supermarket-fresh-fish-THREE-weeks-old.html

It's fairly hard to avoid chemicals in almost any food anymore, but truth is,apart from local disasters, not that many people do get really sick from pesticides in food. If they do it's more often from food poisoning and the way fish and other 'fresh food' is stored and displayed. We have a great local fish form the canals around the rice paddies, that is fleshy and looks a bit like a small mackerel. Its great on the barby. My logic is that if the water it came from was that polluted it wouldn't survive.

As an aside - some years ago a survey was done in Oz of the Murray Darling river system. (the largest river in Oz) They were looking for Murray Cod - a large and fleshy beast, usually found in large numbers. Survey result - not one Murray Cod. Reason - pollution, over fishing and irrigation reducing the water flow.

I would buy most inland fish in Thailand at a market, as you can tell if its fresh, and it's usually quite local. The supermarket stuff - who knows. I love salmon smoked or otherwise, but I choose not to read about its production or why the red colour is so consistent. Tuna is boring, and sardines are great, - if they would only sell it NOT in tomato sauce.

The only thing safe, and that is a relative term, is canned Tuna from a non-Thai company.

Tuna safe ?

I think you have to read more...

All big fishes are the most dangerous, they eat all the <deleted> and only human eat them, easy to understand.

Tuna are pelagic fish, they eat other ocean travelling fish so they actually have very good diets like all pelagic species, it is the inshore/reef fish you need to be careful of(big mackeral, cod etc) due to ciguatera poinoning. The farmed tuna in Australia are wild caught then fattened up on pilchards(sardines) before being marketed so they are also pretty good. The coastal water quality also has a lot to do with it, good clean water makes a lot of difference in taste.

Sardines are very healthy, but, IMO, taste like sh*t.

Those red cans from Roza company you see everywhere, my wife calls sardines, are of course mackerel.

Not sure if I have actually seen sardines.

I thought they mostly tasted of the tomato sauce they come in, can't compare them to sh*t, never had it.

Radioactive Tuna????

Long before radioactivity was an issue with tuna the high level of mercury in tuna was and is a concern.

Recommended that it is not eaten too often and that small children and pregnant women do not eat it.

High mercury content of tuna is not just a modern day pollution related issue.

A world record Blue Fin Tuna in the Smithsonian that was caught in the over 100 years ago was tested and had the same high levels of mercury as fish caught today .

post-147745-0-02444500-1385001427_thumb.

best seafood in the world is from Australia

how do you define best? you have any quantitative data to back that up?

very strict regulations on size, season, pollutants, etc

look at it

eat it

it is the best

and most is shipped OS

so its NO! just as i thought

answer is YES

"very strict regulations on size, season, pollutants, etc"

OZ laws are some of the strictest in the World

seafood is regularly checked by the authorities and men in boats with uniforms patrol our seas every hour of everyday

In the future OZ maybe the only place on earth where you can get a decent fish as we protect our industry

So its YES

Do a little Googling friend and you will get your answers