Is Thai massage physically good for you?

scubascuba3

This subject may bore a lot of you but I like to have a 2 hour no strong Thai massage every day here, I know its great for relaxation but physically is it good or bad for you? Pulling fingers and toes is questionable, how about when they twist your back etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends entirely on your physical condition to start with, particularly your flexibility and general muscle tone etc.

Couple that with the therapist ability and training.

Get the wrong mix and you have the potential to be severely damaged, or absolutely no use whatsoever.

If you really want 2 hrs, do 1hr foot massage for relaxation etc the 1 hr body massage gently, and build from there according to your flexibility and capabilities. Dont be affraid to tell them if they push too hard or over extend anything.

Edited by MichaelJackson
  • Like 1

Several years ago I was down south and quite sick from a cold. Stopped in at the local hospital for help and heard horrible screams coming from a curtained off area. Absolute top of his lungs screams and quite a few foul words. I was told the young man had a Thai traditional massage on the beach and it was a bit too hard. They dislocated his ribs. Docs were trying to set it straight.

From them on, NO Thai traditional massages for me. I had one done before that, but wouldn't allow them to pop my fingers or neck.

My first Thai traditional massage was about 3 years ago - tiny woman - 30 kilos dripping wet. But ohhh the power. She got on top of me and with her bony little elbows dug into my back. I screamed in agony but it only made her dig more.

I stopped doing Thai traditional massages until one year ago, then I stopped in a place near my hotel. She asked me what I wanted how hard etc. And it was a great traditional massage. It didn't hurt, she didn't try to crack any bones, and it felt good during and afterwards.

I think the key to a Thai traditional massage is to find a place that asks you what you want (related to a massage) before they begin.

Edited by californiabeachboy
  • Like 1

Think about: how many qualified people do you see in your daily life in Thailand?

It is not different to massage. There may be a minority who is trained and does a good job. But for most of them it is just a business like selling t-shirts on the road.

That wouldn't be so bad, as long it feels ok. But I have seen several cases where people were damaged by a unqualified "massage" and needed later medical treatment. So be aware.

How many qualified people do I see on Thai Visa? Hmmmm.

Here's an interesting article on Thai traditional massages. Not to be confused with a Swedish type massage which involves deep rubbing.

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/play/thai-massage-lazy-mans-yoga-389098

Director Suchart Wong-uraprasert explains why it is important to visit properly trained therapists: “If the massage is not performed correctly there is a danger that muscles and ligaments may be bruised or torn; nerve fibre torn or inflamed; joints dislocated, and in the most serious cases bones broken or organs malfunctioned. There was a reported incident some years ago of tourist death after some ill-advised neck twisting.”

I love deep Swedish massages. But the Thai traditional where they yank. twist and pull on you is just no fun. But I'm sure I've never had one done by a truly qualified therapist.

• Like 1

After having numerous traditional Thai massages done on me, I finally realized that whatever good feeling that I got while I was receiving the massage would rapidly dissipate afterward. Sometimes, the massage would even be a bit painful. I decided that it really wasn't worth it and stopped going.

Maybe an oily with a happy ending would be a more relaxing option! w00t.gif

• Like 2

After having numerous traditional Thai massages done on me, I finally realized that whatever good feeling that I got while I was receiving the massage would rapidly dissipate afterward. Sometimes, the massage would even be a bit painful. I decided that it really wasn't worth it and stopped going.

Maybe an oily with a happy ending would be a more relaxing option! w00t.gif

traditional thai massage was not intended to provided good feelings or relaxation.

• Like 1

there are many good places, and some bad. there is little formal schooling but many places look at it traditionally as a trade. thats why the old women usually do it the best, they have experience.

i do worry sometimes about how hard they push, i am never shy to say "bow bow" (soft soft). thai massage has helped me with my bad knee and helped my back a few times. you just need to find a good shop and stick with them.

If you're not supposed to feel good having a massage, then what's the point?

to loosen up tight muscles

Doesn't loosening tight muscles make you feel good?

For me, whatever the traditional Thai massage is supposed to help with seems overblown. Maybe it's just me.

If you're not supposed to feel good having a massage, then what's the point?

to loosen up tight muscles

Doesn't loosening tight muscles make you feel good?

For me, whatever the traditional Thai massage is supposed to help with seems overblown. Maybe it's just me.

its just you

• Like 1

No it isn't. I find traditional Thai massage more stressful than relaxing. The head twist thing ... that's just crazy.

exactly! you just said YOU find it more stressful. ergo: its just you

What kind of silly semantic game are you playing? Obviously, not everyone loves traditional Thai massage and for very rational reasons. Just because something is Thai doesn't mean we have to love it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

No it isn't. I find traditional Thai massage more stressful than relaxing. The head twist thing ... that's just crazy.

exactly! you just said YOU find it more stressful. ergo: its just you

What kind of silly semantic game are you playing? Obviously, not everyone loves traditional Thai massage and for very rational reasons. Just because something is Thai doesn't mean we have to love it.

not the point, you claimed that the benefits were overblown. they arent. the benefits have been well known for hundreds of years. the fact that you dont love it has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

I've been here a long time and had several Thai massages in the first few years, from supposedly qualified people. They all left me feeling very nauseous shortly afterwards and way too sore for comfort. Haven't tried it again since. An oily is far better, even without "relief".

• Like 1

Can't help but say,the title suggests you have never heard of a masseuse...ought to change it

two hours??? once a week at the most, and thats for muay thai boxers

Basically...

It is based on lines, points to allow better balance, circulation, blood flow, get muscles working properly. If you have heart or other serious problems, you can't risk most forms of massage.

but you're overdoing it i'd say!

Edited by gemini81