What's the latest situation with applying for Non O in Laos

Hi there

Does anyone know the latest situation with applying for a Non O based on marriage in either Suvankhet of Vientienne?

I understand that you need to show financials at Vientienne but not at Suvanakhet? Is this still correct?

Could anyone also give me a list of the documents I am likely to need in either location?

Previously I used the Savana Vegas visa run package but I believe this isn't available now.

Any info greatly received.

Thanks in advance!

I was recently in Vientienne and applied for a NON-O and needed a letter from my bank, my bankbook was not enough. I had to go to Udon ( I live in Bangkok) and ask my bank branch there for a letter. TMB in Vientienne said they could not access Thai accounts. At first they, Udon, said I had to go to my branch office in BKK but then said they could do it there. When I returned with the letter, they, the Thai Embassy, asked for a copy of my apartment lease. I showed them a business card from my apartment and everything was OK.

I suggest bringing everything you think they would want and more.

Edited by gfinbkk

Why would someone go to Laos to apply for non-immigrant "O" visa? Why not just apply in Thailand? I have non-immigrant "O" visa that i simply applied for in Thailand.

Have you been to Laos? It is beautiful and such a refreshing break from BKK. I spend about two weeks there each year exploring the beauty and its kindness which much of Thailand no longer has, I love Thailand but a break is pleasent and welcomed by me. The Thai Embassy is the only sore point when I get there but overall the good is better than the bad.

Why would someone go to Laos to apply for non-immigrant "O" visa? Why not just apply in Thailand? I have non-immigrant "O" visa that i simply applied for in Thailand.

In reality you didn't get a non-o visa. You got a non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay and subsequently an extension of stay.
  • Like 1

You can apply for this in Thailand? I thought you had to leave the country to apply?

I'll be applying for a Non-Imm O based on marriage. I have all the docs apart from financials. What's the process for applying for this in BKK?

You can apply for conversion to a non-immigrant visa if you still have at least 15 days eft on your permission to stay. (If not, you could first get a 60 day extension based on marriage).

The conversion is done in the course of a 1 year extension of stay based on your marriage, so you must meet the requirements for a 1 year extension of stay. (But for the money in the bank option the money doesn't need to be seasoned).

You apply in BKK and must come back after 14 days to get the conversion. Becasue of this if not living (near) BKK it might be easier to apply in Laos for a non-O visa.

You must have an income of 40,000 a month (can be from abroad) OR have 400,000 baht in a bankaccount in your name in Thailand.

A friend went to Savannakhet earlier this week and confirmed to me that one year multiple non-Os, based on marriage are still obtainable*, without needing to demonstrate any financial standing. I will likely be heading that way myself in a week or so's time. Previously I got my non-Os in Hull and I don't mind demonstrating I have the resources but my expiry visit to the UK will be over Xmas and their extended processing time is too much of a risk.

I will probably drive up from Sisaket into Laos, as he also briefed me on how easy it is to get a car passport and take a car into Laos (and not hugely expensive) if you are the registered owner of your car.

He also mentioned that the Thai consulate in Savannakhet will move within the town (to a location that you go past if travelling to the town centre from Friendship Bridge) sometime early (he said January) in 2014.

*my friend seemed to think that you needed to be 65 to get a retirement non-O visa from Savannakhet. Is that right? I thought it was 50 everywhere.

• Like 1

The only way to get a visa to Thailand is from a Thai embassy (any country except Thailand) Thailand don't have a Thai Embassy as everybody know (except you).

Edited by bander

Don't be too hard on the guy - many expats seem to think they have a visa when in reality they have an extension of stay issued by Immigration in Thailand - it's all that beer and girls; rots the brainlaugh.png

• Like 1

Actually you obtain a Thai visa for entry from a Royal Thai Consulate. These may be located in the same location as an Embassy or may be independent government or honorary facilities. Inside Thailand you can obtain a non immigrant 90 day entry change or issue in the process of marriage/retirement extensions of stay and often for work/study extensions.

The person on this post asked about, "the latest situation with applying for a NON-O Visa in Laos." I gave my personal experience about what occurred to me in Vientiane recently, as I returned to Thailand from Laos on November 12th. The stamp, sticker on my passport page reads: Type of Visa, under that it says Non-Immigrant, next to that it says Category, under that it says O. It also says single entry, 2000 Baht, issued in Vientiane then the dates and visa number. How could that be a Visa extension since I canceled my last Visa and I was starting over from out of the country?

I was trying to give this poster my recent experience with regard to his or her inquiry. I did not ask for others to act like Thai Immigration Officers and give what I believe to be false information about my experience and its end result. I can read my Passport.

In the future, if people ask for assistance or the latest situations, please let those who have that information convey it without being told what they did was wrong, different or irrelevant.

It would make this site much more pleasant.

Thank you for your future consideration of others.

• Like 1

What may appear to be interrogation is actually trying to define the reasons for what you experienced. Can find no post saying you had an extension of stay (that was in reference to an unrelated mimi9000 post) or did not have a non immigrant O visa. But you were asked on what basis the visa was issued as the thread is about marriage and it seems you did not obtain on that basis and that makes your explanation of money proof being required wrong for the poster in this thread.

The person on this post asked about, "the latest situation with applying for a NON-O Visa in Laos." I gave my personal experience about what occurred to me in Vientiane recently, as I returned to Thailand from Laos on November 12th. The stamp, sticker on my passport page reads: Type of Visa, under that it says Non-Immigrant, next to that it says Category, under that it says O. It also says single entry, 2000 Baht, issued in Vientiane then the dates and visa number. How could that be a Visa extension since I canceled my last Visa and I was starting over from out of the country?

I was trying to give this poster my recent experience with regard to his or her inquiry. I did not ask for others to act like Thai Immigration Officers and give what I believe to be false information about my experience and its end result. I can read my Passport.

In the future, if people ask for assistance or the latest situations, please let those who have that information convey it without being told what they did was wrong, different or irrelevant.

It would make this site much more pleasant.

Thank you for your future consideration of others.

Hi,

are you married, ie have a marriage certificate?

• 4 months later...

I just got a new 'O' visa at the Consular Section of the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. All the information you need is on their website. The form is downloadable here or get a form when you turn up for the application.

For my application I had a bank statement but they did not look at it. I submitted the following docs:

1. Copy of marriage certificate
2. Copy of spouse’s ID card (in Thai) signed by wife
3. Copy of Thai house registration book
4. Copy of passport photo page.

Only a single-entry 90 days visa is available at 2,000THB After you enter Thailand you can buy a re-entry permit at the airport so you can return to Thailand until the expiry date of the visa.

There are touts outside the Embassy offering to fill out your application for 100THB, or to fill it out, submit it and pick it up for you and deliver to your hotel or guesthouse for 5,000THB. Depends what your time is worth. It only took me 1 hr to wait, submit the application and get my receipt one day, then less than 15 minutes to pick it up the next afternoon.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Vientiane in most cases will not normally do any multiple entry visas. Nothing has changed for Savannkhet other than that you will need to it yourself.

Can a single entry still be extended for 1 year?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Vientiane in most cases will not normally do any multiple entry visas. Nothing has changed for Savannkhet other than that you will need to it yourself.

Extensions of stay are available for many reasons if one qualifies

You can get an extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage of the 90 day entry you get from the visa if you can meet the financial requirements.

• Like 1

You can get an extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage of the 90 day entry you get from the visa if you can meet the financial requirements.

Thanks!

So with regards to the single and multiple entry aspect, one thing still confuses me.

My understanding is that with a single entry you get 90 days and that is all. After that the visa will expire and you have to leave, unless you get an extension.

Whereas, with the multiple entry you get 12 months, but you must do border crossings every 90 days, unless you get an extension.

Is this correct?

Thanks againwai2.gif