Volunteering inThailand. Mult Entry Visa possible?

I'll be volunteering in Thailand for 6 months come April 2014 (American/52). I will be flying into Thailand late January as I want to travel to a few countries prior to volunteering (3 wks/3 different countries, using Bangkok as a base ).

Is it possible to obtain a Mult-entry non-im visa given the afore mentioned?

Likewise... Any issues forseen regarding my early arrival in Thailand as a vol on either the Mult/Single entry visa?

Thank you.... Hoping to avoid as many roadblocks as possible.

It will depend on the consulate where you will be applying, but as a norm getting a multiple entry visa of any kind is getting more difficult so don't be surprised if you only get a single entry non-O.

Try one of the honorary consulates in the US, they are the most friendly.

You will need at least a letter clearly identifying you from the organisation you will be volunteering with.

• Like 1

You should be get a single entry non-O based on volunteering with paperwork from your NGO.

This can be obtained at a consulate in a neighboring country.

Then you can apply for extension of stay at immigrations with your work permit and correct paperwork.

Before you start volunteering you should apply for a tipple entry tourist visa in the US.

This can be used to apply for the necessary work permit and for your travel plans.

• Like 1

Note that almost all volunteer work in Thailand also requires a work permit to be legal. You should check with the volunteer agency or organisation if they are exempt or not.

Thank you...

Ubonjoe... Right, I may wait another month. Should provide a bit more flexibility abroad if no Mult entry visa is possible.

Pauln... Yes. All good. I will need a work permit. No worries. Only concerned over border crossings prior to volunteering.

Note that almost all volunteer work in Thailand also requires a work permit to be legal. You should check with the volunteer agency or organisation if they are exempt or not.

There is no exemption from needing a work permit.

Only exemptions are for accredited diplomatic staff, staff of multilateral agencies like the UN and people doing emergency work for the government. That doesn't include volunteers with NGOs. The definition of work in the Working of Aliens Act is extremely broad and compensation is not required for it to qualify as work. The police harasss NGOs they don't like for having foreign volunteers without work permits and you can end up in jail. The NGOs that pay them off, e.g. the notorious Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi Province are left alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay... I'm the recipient of a Mult entry non-Im type "B" visa. < Was expecting a type "O" visa as I'll be doing voluteer work.

Can anyone confirm changes on the visa type required as of Dec 2013 for volunteers?

Was told that all volunteers are now required to get a type "B" visa.

There is no exemption from needing a work permit.

Do the "farang" volunteers at the immigration offices or the "farang' volunteer tourist police have work permits? Just a question as some of them are harder to deal with than the Thais and do not have a clue about the regulations! Some, not all!

Edited by wayned

All work requires a WP, even if it is for the government. The only exception is if there is a royal decree lifting that requirement.

I thought I read on here recently that volunteering to teach English at a school did not require a work permit.

All work requires a WP, even if it is for the government. The only exception is if there is a royal decree lifting that requirement.

I thought I read on here recently that volunteering to teach English at a school did not require a work permit.

Wrong !

Wrong? The fact that I thought I read it (not wrong!). Or the fact that a WP is required?

Any work requires a work permit.

Is moderating on an on-line forum "work"?

Just asking.

Was writing your reply working huh.png

Interesting question. Probably not. But i do not have a "position description" just a member under my avatar.

Look I'm not trying to provoke an argument or conflict but I do wonder what the Thai "legal" definition of work is. Anything that can be interpreted as "work" is "work"?

Changing the oil on the motorbike and thereby depriving a Thai mechanic of an income, or growing a vegetable garden - possibly a reserved agricultural occupation for Thais only?

Can get confusing and open to wide interpretation - but not by us farangs!

Any work requires a work permit.

Is moderating on an on-line forum "work"?

Just asking.

Was writing your reply working huh.png alt=huh.png pagespeed_url_hash=3780221086>

Interesting question. Probably not. But i do not have a "position description" just a member under my avatar.

Look I'm not trying to provoke an argument or conflict but I do wonder what the Thai "legal" definition of work is. Anything that can be interpreted as "work" is "work"?

Changing the oil on the motorbike and thereby depriving a Thai mechanic of an income, or growing a vegetable garden - possibly a reserved agricultural occupation for Thais only?

Can get confusing and open to wide interpretation - but not by us farangs!

Why not drop the issue and engage a little "sensibility" ?smile.png

The issue of work is a very important issue to a lot of posters - why can't it be discussed?

After all if you get it wrong you can be arrested and deported.

Seems like a bigger issue than paying 200 baht tea money for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike.

Don't forget that the OP is intending to come here and volunteer (hopefully for all the right reasons), his time, money and energy for the betterment of the country. He was obviously unaware of the definition of work when applied to volunteering.

I'm sure there are many other people similarly unaware of the regulations.

The issue of work is a very important issue to a lot of posters - why can't it be discussed?

After all if you get it wrong you can be arrested and deported.

Seems like a bigger issue than paying 200 baht tea money for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike.

Don't forget that the OP is intending to come here and volunteer (hopefully for all the right reasons), his time, money and energy for the betterment of the country. He was obviously unaware of the definition of work when applied to volunteering.

I'm sure there are many other people similarly unaware of the regulations.

The issue is simple working as a "volunteer " requires a work permit .

Nothing to do with tea money and fools who like to ride motorbikes without a helmet.

Okay... I'm the recipient of a Mult entry non-Im type "B" visa. < Was expecting a type "O" visa as I'll be doing voluteer work.

Can anyone confirm changes on the visa type required as of Dec 2013 for volunteers?

Was told that all volunteers are now required to get a type "B" visa.

This makes sense, as the non-imm B is the right visa to get if you are working and we have established that volunteers need a work permit.

I believe that the type O is now more difficult to obtain and is basically the one you get for being married to a Thai or having a child that is half Thai. But don't quote me on that ;)

Most properly run volunteer programs know all about the visa and work permit issues. So do a lot of the dodgy ones as well as it is an excellent cash cow for people. So the remark that these organizations do not is not true.

Whether or not they are truly a helping organization.....that is another matter all together.

To the OP, I do hope you enjoy your experience....but just a note that if you have paid money to do so...your volunteer experience is lining the pocket of an individual, not neccesarily helping the country, people or what ever it is they do (some, very few programs excluded from this opinion)

I believe that the type O is now more difficult to obtain and is basically the one you get for being married to a Thai or having a child that is half Thai. But don't quote me on that wink.png

You can get a non-O for retirement, family reason or for volunteering.

Thank you all. I'm good. I knew long before the post that a work permit would be required. No worries, The NGO is well established. They know what their doing. I was just surprised at receiving the type "B" visa from the Thai consulate. I was expecting the type "O". One thing is for sure... their is alot of mis-information out their and alot of visa reg changes.

Will follow-up should I come across any related material. Everyone have a drink... burp.gif