When to change tires for a car in Bangkok? Garage says it is time...

yimlitnoy

5 years is what most "experts" suggest as the useful life of the tire. That is 5 years after manufacture....

My trusted local mechanic, and the dealer where I take my car for service, say it's time to replace the tires because of age. Neither stand to profit. I've got plenty of tread left, tires only four years old, temperature rating of A (the best), car usually parked where it doesn't get direct sunlight. It seems there is a local culture that says tires don't last so long because of the heat, and perhaps that was once true. Anyone else with info that says I should be replacing tires that are only four years old? I'll be taking the family on a long drive soon...

5 years is what most "experts" suggest as the useful life of the tire. That is 5 years after manufacture....

My trusted local mechanic, and the dealer where I take my car for service, say it's time to replace the tires because of age. Neither stand to profit. I've got plenty of tread left, tires only four years old, temperature rating of A (the best), car usually parked where it doesn't get direct sunlight. It seems there is a local culture that says tires don't last so long because of the heat, and perhaps that was once true. Anyone else with info that says I should be replacing tires that are only four years old? I'll be taking the family on a long drive soon...

No, too early. As was said above, tires start to deteriorate five years after date of manufacture. This is no different than a expiry date on food. But tread wear should be checked. If you've got noticeable uneven wear on the inside, or outside or in the middle, or combination, it means your tires have repeatedly run without proper inflation. It's your call but uneven wear says the tires have been abused. Also check for bulges and cracks on the sidewall, both sides. If evidence of uneven treadwear or bulges, buy new ones and good ones. The only thing between you and the road are your tires so buy the best, a nice balance between soft (high treadwear) and hard (low treadwear). The softer the tire the better the grip, the harder ones last longer but sacrifice grip and, to my mind, safety. By harder I mean treadwear not resistance to road damage.

Edit: The foregoing is probably more than you need to know. I'd buy a name brand from North America, Europe, Korea or Japan. The latter two probably have a better grasp on markets of their neighbouring countries. In short, buy an import set.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

No, too early. As was said above, tires start to deteriorate five years after date of manufacture. This is no different than a expiry date on food. But tread wear should be checked. If you've got noticeable uneven wear on the inside, or outside or in the middle, or combination, it means your tires have repeatedly run without proper inflation. It's your call but uneven wear says the tires have been abused. Also check for bulges and cracks on the sidewall, both sides. If evidence of uneven treadwear or bulges, buy new ones and good ones. The only thing between you and the road are your tires so buy the best, a nice balance between soft (high treadwear) and hard (low treadwear). The softer the tire the better the grip, the harder ones last longer but sacrifice grip and, to my mind, safety. By harder I mean treadwear not resistance to road damage.

Edit: The foregoing is probably more than you need to know. I'd buy a name brand from North America, Europe, Korea or Japan. The latter two probably have a better grasp on markets of their neighbouring countries. In short, buy an import set.

Thank you KB for your feedback. My tires are 4 years old, based on date of manufacture printed on tire (0410 -- fourth week of year 2010). To add to your suggestions: talking to a friend today, he's aware of shops selling unused tires that were several years old already. Important to check at time of purchase the date of manufacture.

As for inflation: I noticed at the shop where I was getting an oil change, they checked the air pressure and released air to bring it down to the recommended pressure. But they checked soon after I arrived, when the tires were hot, so I ended up with under inflated tires.