German photojournalist attacked

Lite Beer

POLITICS
German photojournalist attacked

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand has voiced concern following an attack on a German photojournalist on Monday, allegedly after he was identified as a "redshirt" at a rally.

Nick Nostitz, a freelance cameraman who has written two books about political turbulence in Thailand in recent years, was allegedly punched after being singled out by a speaker.

The FCCT issued a statement Monday that said: "An accredited foreign journalist was today assaulted by anti-government protesters while doing his job covering the ongoing protests.

"Details are not clear but initial reports say a speaker from the stage singled him out, triggering the assault. The incident was also featured on Blue Sky TV, and Internet comments continued to target the journalist.

"The FCCT deplores this in the strongest possible terms, and calls upon protest leaders to unequivocally and publicly state that the rights of journalists, foreign or Thai, should be respected."

Nostitz has lived and worked in Thailand for many years. He was not badly injured, one colleague said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-25

• Like 1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a case of mistaken identity. Some hooligans wanted to have a go at the redshirt NN and got the journalist NN instead.

While I strongly condemn any violence I have to question NN's decision to show up at an anti-government rally after having taken every opportunity to publicly spread his pledge of allegiance to the red side. But he always insisted that the journalist NN was not biased at all. So maybe this incident came as a healthy wakeup call.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you take some time out and look back "sine ira ac studio".

• Like 2

Given his less than impartial and unbalanced reporting in the past, I have to question his common sense in setting foot in the oppositions camp.

The "journalist" badge has no respect here and offers no protection whatsoever, and Thai's have a very long memory for any "slights" they feel have occurred.

Don't misunderstand me (fab4, Rich Teacher et al), I'm not condoning what happened, it's despicable, but it's not at all surprising it happened.

• Like 1

I saw the incident on tv and wondered how he managed to get himself between the Police and the demonstrators? Only a fool would get into that position unless he was trying to provoke a situation, everything seemed peaceful until he turned up. Some people will do anything for 500bts!

• Like 2

I don't know him personally and attacking a journalist is out of question, BUT...

Some people do take risks or even provoke an incident so that they can report on it afterwards. I don't know, if Nick is such a person, but given, how hardcore a red-shirt he is, it wouldn't make me wonder if that is the case.

And one thing is to spare journalists, same like nurses and emergency staff from altercation, but then why not extend that to ALL people? And what about yellow shirt reporters being beaten up? I recall a radio station guy in Chiang Mai being killed by red shirt supporters, because he was on the other side of the political divide. They killed him in his home soi.

The only thing we can expect from this actual incident is Nick furiously ranting about the Dems etc. And sometimes I wonder, if he would think differently, if he weren't living in such a red-shirt hotbed like Bang Bua Thong...

Sam

of the other side

• Like 1

Nick and I have diametrically opposing views on - well - everything.

But, if he's been disseminating misinformation or a one-sided story or whatever, and that's legally unacceptable, then arrest him. Otherwise, sorry, it's a democracy (supposedly) and he can say what he wants, within one or two limits.

But you can't condone him getting punched in the face for showing up at a protest to report on what's being said. Maybe Nick and I agree on something here.

It would seem from a report on facebook from someone who was there that he was doing more than reporting.

He is apparently fluent in Thai and was reported as yelling and swearing at people.

There were those who resented that and he was chased out with a few slaps round the ears.

There is a video of it all but I don't have a link.

That's certainly the story that the anti-govt types are putting out there. I'll believe it when I see the video. Do you honestly believe that Nick would provoke them for no reason?

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 2

I hope he gets well soon. Wherever your political preference lies, i don't think there is any excuse for this, his opinion and what he sees/reports is up to him. Seems like many people on here are going to have to do about turns soon, as they are going exactly the same way as the red shirts did.

I don't support it,but it will make 'interesting' reading when the violence escalates and all those who have been supporting the army etc for their crackdown on the red shirts are put in a very awkward position, and start shifting goal posts all over the place to accentuate differences.

"You sound like a balanced person"

• Like 2

It would seem from a report on facebook from someone who was there that he was doing more than reporting.

He is apparently fluent in Thai and was reported as yelling and swearing at people.

There were those who resented that and he was chased out with a few slaps round the ears.

There is a video of it all but I don't have a link.

You haven't learned a damned thing about sighting sources have you? Fortunately it was already posted elsewhere earlier today...

You enjoy giving fab4 ammunition?

There's no video of the entire event, unless someone recorded from Blue Sky, but there is a short clip of Nostitz being bundled out...

The pictures that were posted of him making a police report also indicate very little physical evidence of a physical assault taking place...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Accredited he may be.

Neutral he is not.

But there is no excuse for violence.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are no neutral journalists. Only people who think there is.

Not much to say apart from I hope he's OK. If it's known who instigated this from the stage they need dealing with as well. The anti government protests seem to have been generally peaceful and they need to stay that way so thy don't lose credibility.

Not much to say apart from I hope he's OK. If it's known who instigated this from the stage they need dealing with as well. The anti government protests seem to have been generally peaceful and they need to stay that way so thy don't lose credibility.

They are fascists who wants to overthrow a democratically elected government. What credibility do they have in your opinion?

• Like 1

It was former Democrat MP Chumpon. More details here: http://prachatai.com/english/node/3756

'“In the rallies, there might be shouting or yelling from the protesters, but that’s fine. But such singling out by the leader to attack journalist, I’ve never seen before. It’s the first time in my life that this happened,” he said, adding that he would not go back and cover this anti-government rally again due to his safety.

He also denied the Democrat's accusation that he received money from the former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.
"If I really take money from Thaksin, why would I still ride the old motorcycle to go around covering events?" said Nostitz'
  • Like 1