Information on Protest Sites

Scott

The microphones at Victory Monument are at triple level this morning. Mr. Screaming Man is particularly angry. between him and the music, don't know how everyone isn't deaf. This has been going on a while already. VM has been real quiet recently until now.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just returned from a trip to Laksi from Muang Thong Thani. There were very few people about this morning and still some evidence of the events of yesterday (i.e. broken glass, etc). Foodland was the only part of IT Mall that wasn't covered by metal plates. In Foodland I was the only customer and most of the staff were out the front staring up at the expressway. When asked they said something about people (my Thai isn't that good) up there. The police at the junction are now wearing army issue flak jackets and helmets. I also saw the medical tent being moved up the road towards the protest site.

On the way back I passed through the site (@ 07:00) and, contrary to the report on today's news, I was able to pass through without a problem along with other cars. I would say, however, that the news on today's news thread is going to prove fairly prophetic as I saw razor wire ready to be put across the entrance.

My advice is fairly obvious anyway, avoid this area completely today.

Mananaged to fall back asleep, but mr screaming man is in front of phayathai district office now. There is a bus completely blocking northbound phayathai road above sri ayuthaya road.

I don't see many protesters there, but there are some people in white shirts standing in the background at the median.

And right now there is a small group of protesters walking to the area from the south.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are moving towards white shirts now. Music blaring

edit: they've stopped on the south side of the Phayathai intersection and are just yelling at the people on the other side.

No northbound traffic at all, at least for these two blocks- from Ratchatewi to Victory Monument. The bus, I am suspecting was put there by people to block the protesters from coming to disrupt the vote. Haven't seen any police yet. I'll keep looking.

post-193141-13913061649693_thumb.jpg

post-193141-0-33490500-1391306576_thumb.

post-193141-0-44746300-1391306577_thumb.

Edited by taony

edit 2: there are some people with pink neckerchiefs in the back, on the south bound side of Phayathai Road (Phaholyothin south of VM). The southbound side seems closed to traffic too. They look kind of like security, but not police. THey are standing next to a white 4X4, dress mostly in black, at least one with shorts. I just saw one deny two motorcycles access north from the sidewalk.

edit 3: I suppose there are protesters and white shirts in front of the district office. Not sure if there are ballots or election staff there or not.

https://twitter.com/news1005fm/status/429802401948655616/photo/

Edited by taony

Just came back from T21. Roads are very quiet, no traffic, was like a ghost town.

Soi 4 up to Soi 19 looked very quiet besides the sidewalk vendors still operating.

?? Asoke's rocking at the moment. More people here than I have seen the whole week.

Today a new tent village sprouted on Asoke (near the bus stop) - surrounded by yellow metal barriers all around.

They seem to be occupied by PDRC guards dressed in black - hence the barricades.

Tents were all fully zipped up, and all arranged in neat rows.

Can someone who passes there confirm?

If so, I'd avoid it if possible.

I need to go to a meeting in Silom today. Does anyone know if Din Daeng intersection is still blocked?

As of the other day, Silom Road was blocked off to car traffic between Lumpini Park and about Silom Soi 4.

But it's quiet during the daytime, so easy to take BTS to Saladaeng Station, and then walk from there.

Other areas of Silom Road heading toward the river aren't impacted.

Here's a link to the site of protests from yesterday in the downtown area:

RT@RichardBarrow: The latest anti-government rally site is now in the heart of #Bangkok's shopping district. Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=2…

r there any protests near dungmung airport on the number 1 road as im of to Cambodia on the 15 feb don't want to take car if blocked down there im in chaiyaphum

I would be very grateful for dome feedback. My wife and I alternate between China and Bangkok , this for business reasons.

We have the need to travel to Bangkok next week for a number of business meetings, but I am concerned about the travel logistics and road closures.

We actually live on Chaeng Wattana in the close proximity to Tesco, and we need to attend meetings very close to the Thai Airways main office on Vibhavadi.

Now I understand that CW road at the Laksi end was or still is a major hot spot with road closures etc, but what about the toll road that can be entered further down CW is that still useable, and what about exits etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Chaeng Wattana - Information/Update

I have just done my regular shopping trip to Foodland, IT Square, Laksi from Muang Thong Thani. Today is worse than it has been for a long time. I am on a motorbike so it is not TOO bad but by car this would be HELL. The traffic is now diverted FAR down the back of the Government Complex. Added to the bottleneck at the Muang Thong end we now have 2 or 3 locations where the traffic has to cross being directed by gesticulating whistleblowers running on M150 and instinct! Worse still I think that EVERY Thai person who has heard that there is access to the Government Complex has started making their journey there again. At 08:30 this morning the traffic was back close to Central. I would guesstimate that anybody trying to pass through this way would need to leave 2 hours heading to Laksi and 1 hour heading back in the morning. If you DO decide to go through please understand that to complete your journey to Laksi you actually have to join the traffic heading back to Muang Thong!?!? for about 200m leaving ALL traffic in both directions heading the same way and trying to swap over. This is an ABSOLUTE CLUSTER***K!

In answer to nonthaburial I have to say that you should head up Pracha Chuen/Klong Prapa to Si Sawan and turn right. If you are attempting to get to the Laksi/Don Muang area from the Pak Kret/Samakhi area I would suggest following Tiwanon NORTH (the junction next to BigC/HomePro) and then turning right onto Si Sawan and following this to Viphavadi-Rangsit.

If you don't have to come this way then don't for now. I'll be heading back that way on Sat/Sun and will report again.

• Like 1

I hadn't been around Asoke at dinner time the past few days, but was last night, just about 6:30 pm.

And the crowd last night was VERY sparse at that same hour compared to what it's been in prior weeks. Last night was the first night I'd been thru there at that same time since the weekend election.

The first photo is looking up Asoke toward Petchburi from the Asoke Sky Walk Bridge:

post-58284-0-46968100-1391668198_thumb.j

The second photo is looking from Terminal 21 toward Asoke, what appears to be perhaps a kitchen setup.

post-58284-0-41895000-1391668265_thumb.j

I did notice, there seemed to be more security guys on watch along the BTS Sky Walk overlooking the protest site, with more guys on watch there and now even mini tents set up for them on the Sky Walk along the half portion that remained roped off from public use.

Also passed through Asoke last night at around 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm.

Crowd looked as the picture at 7:30 pm but it appears they've now taken the tactic of spreading themselves out thinly on Asoke with much open space between people. So it looks like more people?

By 9:30 pm crowd had dwindled significantly and stage act was rock and roll.

Also noted the guards on the skywalk with tents set up behind their perimeter along the skywalk. Overall a trashy and depressing scene.

Chidlom/Langsuan/Ploenchitt intersection has heavy traffic and is unrestricted. For the first time in weeks there's a policeman operating the traffic lights manually - so long queues back up Soi Chidlom. It may change in the evening and there's still tents along Rama 1 Ploenchit Road closing the inside lane both ways - but currently traffic is moving all the way up to the stage at Central World junction and up Ratjadamri.