Thousands march to US Embassy in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does every country that has a problem turn to USA either to blame or to ask for support. How come I never see then ask China or Russia or India. I think American citizens are pretty sick of being the police of the world. This is a problem of Thailand and it needs to be settled in Thailand. I feel that Yingluk is a poor leader but she was democratically elected and must finish her term unless she commits a crime and is impeached. We were stuck with Bush but he was legally elected and was allowed to finish his term as god awful as he was.

Yes I agree. And China seems to hold more influence here than the USA. Russians certainly do too.

The USA is always asked then blamed and then told to keep out of others affairs. i am an Ozzie and I too wish people would solve their own disputes without calling on all the USA. people here took money to have this government "elected" in. Let the people who elected this mob of thieves enjoy what the thieves now do to the poeple and learn that for 500 baht you dont get good value. You reap what you sow people. You wanted the Reds now enjoy! Just leave me alone to live quietly

• Like 2

Why does every country that has a problem turn to USA either to blame or to ask for support. How come I never see then ask China or Russia or India. I think American citizens are pretty sick of being the police of the world. This is a problem of Thailand and it needs to be settled in Thailand. I feel that Yingluk is a poor leader but she was democratically elected and must finish her term unless she commits a crime and is impeached. We were stuck with Bush but he was legally elected and was allowed to finish his term as god awful as he was.

The problem with China, Russia and India is they aren't interested unless it directly effects them. China only uses it's seat on the UN security Council to veto anything that is proposed by the USA and UK. Whatever people may think about the motives of the US or it's allies their support would give credibility. The US is easier to approach as it has one embassy but I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar moves to gain support from the EU and it's member states and the UK in particular.

Bizzare that they would march and protest the American embassy. These are supposedly educated class people?

Hmmmmm

Yeah. Why not just go and bother the Brits? They were here first. Make 'em feel important.

Ah good morning it's the Brit basher. How are you today?

They may well go to the Brits at some time but if they want media attention then going to the embassy of a country with a population of over 300 million is a better bet than one with under 70 million. I don't suppose they're expecting the US to invade anytime soon.

• Like 2

Korn leads Bangkok protesters to US embassy

1385711928_1.jpg
Anti-government protesters gather at BTS Asok on Friday before noon. (Thai PBS twitter photo)

BANGKOK: -- Korn Chatukavanij, deputy leader of Democrat Party, led supporters to submit a letter to the US embassy on Witthayu Road declaring the coalition led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has no legitimacy to govern.

Mr Korn, on Friday 7am, posted on his Facebook page a request for the gathering of supporters at BTS Asok station at 11.30am, and to later march to the US embassy. He said his group would be joined by the protesters gathered on Phetchaburi Road and march to the headquarters of the Pheu Thai Party situated on the same road.

Mr Korn was criticised by protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban, a former Democrat MP, on Thursday night for publicly disagreeing with the occupying of the Finance Ministry and other state buildings.

Members of the Business Club for Democracy and alumni and current students of many educational institutes were also gathered at Asok intersection to blow whistles in defiance of the government and join the march to the US embassy.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva joined in the whistle blowing at BTS Asok station at 12.34pm. He said he intended to join the protest to return righteousness to the country. He insisted this protest will not end until the people triumph.

He then accompanied the protesters to the US embassy, where he delivered the protesters' letter stating the Yingluck coalition lacks the necessary legitimacy to govern the country.

Mr Korn made a speech in English from a temporary stage about 2pm, and the protesters dispersed about 2.20pm

Mr Abhisit on Thursday announced the opposition party's commitment to the campaign to remove the "Thaksin regime" and support for the law, the constitution and the courts.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-29

Korn tells US Embassy “Government has lost legitimacy to rule”

korn-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Opposition Democrat party’s deputy leader Korn Chatikavanich today told the US Ambassador that the Yingluck Government has already lost legitimacy to rule the country.

Leading hundreds of supporters gathering first at the BTS Asoke station, Korn started marching along the Sukhumvit road to the embassy at about 1 p.m.

His group was also joined by a large group of businessmen, students from many educational institutions who were blowing whistles nearby at 12.34 p.m. Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva also joined the whistle blowing at noon. He vowed the protest would end only the people achieving victory.

Earlier Korn posted on his Facebook a request for the march to the US Embassy to tell the US about the illegitimacy of the government after it defied the Constitutional Court by rejecting its power.

Korn was criticized last night by protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban when he voiced opposition to Suthep’s strategy on seizing government offices.

A brief rally attacking the Yingluck government was held with a call for the US to stop dealing with the illegitimate government.

By 3 p.m. the protesters have dispersed and returned to join other protest groups at the Democracy Monument.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/korn-tells-us-embassy-government-lost-legitimacy-rule/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-29

So, other than totally off topic stuff .... and a good update to the OP that shows there was absolutely no need for the knee-jerk reactions of some ... did I miss anything in the last hour? A protest group went to the Embassy, gave a letter declaring the current government has no legitimacy, Korn spoke in English briefly, they moved on ....

and a bunch of people decided TVF was the place to discuss US foreign policy etc.

I'm not American, but have to question what on earth has to do with the current issues in Thailand? Are these people now so desperate and delusional that they are imagining enemies on every corner? Abhisit led this march? Just becoming crazy.........

Asking a country that went from Bush to Obama for advice is a bit like asking Eddie The Beagle Edwards for skiing lessons.

• Like 2

Bizzare that they would march and protest the American embassy. These are supposedly educated class people?

Hmmmmm

Yeah. Why not just go and bother the Brits? They were here first. Make 'em feel important.

Ah, that's one difference between the Yanks and the Brits. The British don't need to be made to feel we are important.... we just assume that everybody knows that already. thumbsup.gif

He said important, not impotent.

There's another difference between us. Yanks can't spell properly either! smile.png

• Like 2

Is Thailand technically still at war with the US?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Declarations of war to the USA and the UK were announced but never delivered to the respective countries.

The Dutch, Norwegians, Swedish, French and the rest of the countries in Eastern Europe surely must appreciate the fact that Thailand (allowed the Japanese to occupy the country for almost 2 years to build the Railroad of Death) and sided with the Axis: Japan, Germany and Italy.

A Thai professor I know at Thammasat (who got his degree in a university outside of Los Angeles County in California) rebutted this notion by saying: " But that was a long time ago!"

• Like 2