Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

Well the the baht buses are often owned by police in any case so the odds that you will get any help are low.

Further if you want to stay in Pattaya i wouldnt bother complaining as you will be looking over your shoulder all the time for a disgruntled driver.

Suprised that you got into a dispute at all as you have been around long enough to know many drivers are on very short fuses.

Finally it doesnt sound like too much damage was done so put it down to experience and dont let it happen again.

• Like 2

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds to me like JT knew what the fare was supposed to be as he uses these every day and when the driver asked for more, JT shared his opinon about what the fare should be and that's when it started. Close JT?

Anyhow, glad to hear that you wern't hurt to bad or even worse as many of these drivers are on yaba to work long shifts and you know what that can do to a person.

I'm not sure of your situation but maybe it is time to buy a bike or a tuktuk or something you can get around on?

• Like 1

Regardless of the circumstances I would report the incident to the police, the tourist police, city hall, the bahtbus cooperative, local media and anyone else who will listen. It's a question of principle.

There's good reason that we never hear about disputes through the media involving baht buses.

One post removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Must have been reading many of your posts on T-V! I would also avoid the taxi "mafia" if I were you. Maybe just keep a low profile in general as they may be restauranteurs in town gunning for you as well. That's just the breaks when you are a prolific presence on the internet.

Glad you came off none the worse for wear in your encounter.

It doesn't matter what caused the dispute or how much it was about: to initiate violence is never justified.

Regardless of the circumstances I would report the incident to the police, the tourist police, city hall, the bahtbus cooperative, local media and anyone else who will listen. It's a question of principle.

Agree 100%.

Of course it won't do any good - but it is the right thing to do.

To the smart-<deleted> who ask if it was 5 Baht or 10 Baht the answer is, it doesn't matter. Principles do and I imagine JT is as aware of the exact Baht bus fares as anyone on this forum.

It is much easier, and safer, to say "Oh you want a 10 Baht bonus do you, here you are" and walk away. It still doesn't sound right as I type it though.

• Like 1

Did he get out of the songthaew and attack you? Were there witnesses? What did you say or do to him?

Without the full story it's impossible to really judge.

My worst incident years ago and I was behaving myself. Was taking a gal back to hotel from a beer bar on Beach Rd. Boarded baht bus without saying a word. Did nothing improper during the ride. Driver made two turns and I rang bell in front of Diana Inn. Got out and gave driver B20. He threw it back at me and wanted B60. I said no the fare was 20 and he threw it back the second time. I guess the fare should be 20.

I took a step back to look at his truck number. He then got out and ran around the back of truck while I still stood at the passenger door. He then tried to hit me on the face with his fist two times. I blocked both. He then got back in baht bus without payment and left.

The gal stood back and said nothing. I had two bruises from the blows. But this is not my only rodeo.

How on earth do you keep getting into trouble ? sad.png

Oh c'mon.. a quick read through his previous topics/posts will answer that question...

totster smile.png

A quick read through nearly 47, 000 posts, your having a laugh mate, I just aint got the time....facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif or the inclination...w00t.gif

Anyway at least this thread could be of some help to the high season tourists and let them know that it's not worth getting into an argument over a 5 or ten baht top up by the driver...

It seems that some of the long term Pattaya stayers don't heed their own advice or don't listen to the advice of others...

"Avoid confrontation with Thai's"..... It can seriously damage your health.,..and is it worth it over such a "TRIVIAL" amount, usually a mere 5 or ten baht....Just a thought....rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Note that at the time of the attack I did look for a cop but there was none. Not confident that catching him then would be a positive experience. I can imagine the cops saying it was my fault. Not questioning the driver believed he was right in the fare dispute ... am questioning how that justifies violence. If he really wanted to bully money out of me he could have just threatened to bash me and I would have quickly caved. This thug seemed to get pleasure from the violence more than money.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

JT it does not justify it and you should report him and seek compensation.

You can even file case in tourist court.

In all honestly, do not be scared of he might do, he will not do anything.

Punishment may well be minimal, but at least it takes him off the street for a few hours, ie more financial loss.

• Like 2

Walk away.........................coffee1.gif

A freind of mine in Pattaya 5 years ago failed to heed the walk away advice and received quite serious head injuries due to an iron bar being used to beat him around the head, 7 days in hospital, a large hospital bill and a six inch scar now forever on his head as a reminder.....Plus the scars forever in his mind....

It wasn't over a baht bus fare, it was over a 30 baht bottle of beer with a Thai guy in Pattaya who decided he wanted it and was having it and my freind said he wasn't having it.....

He'll tell you now that he should just have walked away and let the wan*ker have it but he can't turn back the clock......

Whilst people will say stand your ground and fight your corner and stand up for what is right, is it worth risking your life over such Trivial amounts especially in a place like Thailand where Thai's are renowned for a short fuse....Sometimes you just need to just walk away even though it may hurt to do so it can be a safer option....

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away. Then he left his truck and ran towards me striking me multiple times. Yes of course I should have paid 20 on demand and I usually would have because anytime you get into a dispute with a driver you risk violence. That's all the details I will give. I realize there are some mean spirited people here and Thai apologists who are quick to blame the victim but sorry I was violently attacked and there is NO excuse for that.

From what starting point to what destination?

If you ride the baht buses often enough, and attempt always to pay the correct fare, you WILL get into altercations with the drivers.

I recall one poster saying here that after he started carrying a baseball bat he had no further problems.

Well, it didn't take me long to see that baht bus drivers and I were not going to be able to coexist peacefully, so I bought a motorbike. One of my most brilliant decisions. Now I just have to watch out lest a baht bus wreck my bike.

I still have frequent disputes with them about whether I can occupy my space in my lane. I enjoy blowing my horn at them. Bought a loud one for the purpose. :)

I still say you should report the incident.

• Like 1

Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away. Then he left his truck and ran towards me striking me multiple times. Yes of course I should have paid 20 on demand and I usually would have because anytime you get into a dispute with a driver you risk violence. That's all the details I will give. I realize there are some mean spirited people here and Thai apologists who are quick to blame the victim but sorry I was violently attacked and there is NO excuse for that.

No one is being a Thai apologist! From the facts as you describe them, the attack was totally unjustified and I'm incredulous that you let it go unreported! Unless of course it was a 20 baht trip, but you seem certain it wasn't, or somehow you antagonised or insulted him in the way you handed over the fare and spoke to him.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Foreigners are bound to eventually encounter problems if they habitually ride Baht buses. Not only from the people who drive the buses, but those who ride them.

A bit of frank advice: The OP has also started threads about being overweight, so I would suggest he start walking or buy a bicycle to improve his overall quality of life.