Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

Don't bother guessing but I will say Jomtien to Klang the well tested fare is 10 baht. I know many people think the line is pattaya tai but they are wrong.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some drivers try to 'reset the meter' at Pattaya Tai I noticed.

Seems fair. Jomtien to Pattaya Tai.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again I fully understand the motivation and anger of the driver and his belief that I underpaid him.

Actually that's the part that I dont understand and I would like to have some more facts to try and work out why he got angry.

There are two completely separate issues here:

1) The violence which can never be justified and should always be reported.

2) Why the driver wanted more than the usual amount for the fare. Was it very close to the fare boundary, for example.

At the end of the day maybe the driver was just insane or on drugs.

• Like 1

No the fare system is only 10 baht per ride and 20 for long haul but long is not defined by the company. I am sure about that

Then show some good old American generosity (or Thai nam-jai) and if you're slightly in doubt, err on the generous side.

It'd be a bugger if the Baht Bus Company barred you for frequently ripping of their drivers and being rude to them. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I have always been told by long term expats that Jomtien to Pattaya Tai at the school is 10 baht, any further it is 20 and that is what I pay. Where exactly do the rules state Central or Pattaya Klang is line? There isn't any and that leads to the confusion. Right or wrong I wouldn't have got into a punch up over 10 baht.crazy.gif

• Like 1

Only other issue was when I jumped on one in Jomtien and got off in Soi 4 in Pattaya. He wanted 20 baht. I figured that was fair go since I rode a long ways and paid that.

20B is indeed the correct fare for that trip. The same 20B also takes you as far as Naklua.

I have been riding bahtbuses here for over 35 years and have never had any issues at all. Never paid more than the correct fare either.

Hey KittenKong (and JT if you are interested ... or anyone else with the knowledge) ... has anyone ever thought of producing a BahtBus / Songthaew route map and price guide?

Maybe there is one existing that just needs updating?

For occasional visitors like me it would be really helpful.

Just a thought.

Only other issue was when I jumped on one in Jomtien and got off in Soi 4 in Pattaya. He wanted 20 baht. I figured that was fair go since I rode a long ways and paid that.

20B is indeed the correct fare for that trip. The same 20B also takes you as far as Naklua.

I have been riding bahtbuses here for over 35 years and have never had any issues at all. Never paid more than the correct fare either.

Hey KittenKong (and JT if you are interested ... or anyone else with the knowledge) ... has anyone ever thought of producing a BahtBus / Songthaew route map and price guide?

Just a thought.

They use to have one in each baht bus about 10 years ago, use to be stuck prominently in the back where everyone could see. Over time, they disappeared and never returned.

• Like 1

I could not have possibly stepped out of reach in this case. Run yes if fast enough.

In that case maybe you are looking for something like an Aikido type of self-defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzPj2xGr_Ig

You beat me to it. Nothing beats Akido short of Karate & no one gets past 5-10 seconds before they are either launched out of the baht bus or on the ground in 5 seconds or less. Unfortunately Pattaya offers no classes for the Akido or the Brazilian Jui Juitsu. Both are very very effective. & totally defensive & only require someones momentum to take them down.

Again I fully understand the motivation and anger of the driver and his belief that I underpaid him.

Actually that's the part that I dont understand and I would like to have some more facts to try and work out why he got angry.

There are two completely separate issues here:

1) The violence which can never be justified and should always be reported.

2) Why the driver wanted more than the usual amount for the fare. Was it very close to the fare boundary, for example.

At the end of the day maybe the driver was just insane or on drugs.

Keep up the good detective work Sherlock.

Pattaya is in dire need of superheroes willing to to go the extra MILAGE to protect the good citezens of the city.

Now carry on with your spledid work but make dure Mr Jing reveals the route, good detectives know that there is normally another side to the story.

You just need to keep an open mind and hopefully the truth will be revealed in this awful incident...:blink:

Jing the one thing I don't understand is you have probably been here at least 10 years since I have seen you on TV for as long as I was on in 04.

Why are you so adamant about taking the baht bus over just buying a scooter. You don't have to live like a refugee! Lets face it Baht buses suck. I would put it right up there with Greyhound buses in the U.S. Not that great a class of people -pushy- & way overcrowded trucks leading to getting ejected or injuries when they collide. In 10 years you would have bought that bike already & never have to deal with the shuffle again. Unless you like getting cut up in wrecks & getting popped in the face by the drivers.

I have to take my gas tank into Pattaya for it to be painted . This will be my once a year baht bus event there & Back from Bang Saray. While it is only 20 baht each way I would much rather treat myself to riding into the city in style over the ghetto bus set up.I never have some obese person with sweaty rolls of fat in my lap or rude Russians trying to force me out of my seat. Up to you.....But you can change this situation or at least learn some arts to defend yourself.

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 1

Yes, we would like to know the facts. But for some reason the information about the route taken is being guarded as if it were a state secret.

So you feel that the driver is not guilty of assaulting a passanger?

What difference does the route and lenght of the route make here?

A foreigner was beat up. I dont care what route it was, even if the route was to the moon.

How can people here justify an assault, a guy being seriously beat up? Most posters seem to think it is perfectly normal being assaulted over 10 baht fare dispute.

Lets switch sides, what would happen to me I attack a Thai guy, and seriously hurt him. What do you think would then happen to me? My guess is, if I somehow stay alive, and I really doubt I would, the jail sentence would be several years.

But Thai beating up a foreigner.. All you guys are demanding what was the route.

It is sickening!

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir

Jing the one thing I don't understand is you have probably been here at least 10 years since I have seen you on TV for as long as I was on in 04.

Why are you so adamant about taking the baht bus over just buying a scooter. You don't have to live like a refugee! Lets face it Baht buses suck. I would put it right up there with Greyhound buses in the U.S. Not that great a class of people -pushy- & way overcrowded trucks leading to getting ejected or injuries when they collide. In 10 years you would have bought that bike already & never have to deal with the shuffle again. Unless you like getting cut up in wrecks & getting popped in the face by the drivers.

I have to take my gas tank into Pattaya for it to be painted . This will be my once a year baht bus event there & Back from Bang Saray. While it is only 20 baht each way I would much rather treat myself to riding into the city in style over the ghetto bus set up.I never have some obese person with sweaty rolls of fat in my lap or rude Russians trying to force me out of my seat. Up to you.....But you can change this situation or at least learn some arts to defend yourself.

If I am in town, I'd be more than happy to give you a ride. Standard charge is one beer each way. 5555

I absolutely hate baht buses and avoid them at all costs.

• Like 2

Fair, not fair. No matter. It's wrong either way. The fare from Jomtien to Central is 10B. No ifs, no buts, no maybes.

If the bahtbus drivers want to change their fares they have a recognised and official way of doing it through negotiation with City Hall via the Bahtbus Cooperative. They do not have the right to change the fares on set routes unilaterally.

• Like 1

I just think your trying to get as much MILAGE out of this thread as you can, a bit like some people who try to get more MILAGE for their 10 baht on a baht bus.

Spot on.

I was actually more interested in the nature of the "beat up" beating ... was it a volley of punches to the face and guts, or a shove to the shoulder? or getting smacked with a fanny pack?

• Like 2

Yes, we would like to know the facts. But for some reason the information about the route taken is being guarded as if it were a state secret.

So you feel that the driver is not guilty of assaulting a passanger?

What difference does the route and lenght of the route make here?

A foreigner was beat up. I dont care what route it was, even if the route was to the moon.

How can people here justify an assault, a guy being seriously beat up? Most posters seem to think it is perfectly normal being assaulted over 10 baht fare dispute.

Lets switch sides, what would happen to me I attack a Thai guy, and seriously hurt him. What do you think would then happen to me? My guess is, if I somehow stay alive, and I really doubt I would, the jail sentence would be several years.

But Thai beating up a foreigner.. All you guys are demanding what was the route.

It is sickening!

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where do you get that JT was "seriously beat up?" He pretty specifically denied that in his original post, yet you have stated several times that such was the case here.

Bottom line, JT pushed the envelope on the 10 baht fare, likely over the line in the driver's opinion and when JT ignored the demand for additional money, the driver reacted, giving JT a few whacks which did not result in injury. Had he been injured, we would have sure to hear about it.

Scam a cabbie any place in the world and you can well expect some blowback.

JT - The driver obviously believed you breached the 10B travelling distance.

I don't care what he believed. Nobody has a right to physically attack a person, unless you are attacked first. In this case there was not even verbal insults towards the driver.

Im curious, where do you draw the line.

What if the driver had consumed more yaba than his regular daily dose, and he decided to kill the OP. Would that also be acceptable to you?

I am really coriuous, maybe you find the time to reply! It is a sensible question, I feel. Because after vicious assault, the only step further is killing a man.

• Like 1

.... has anyone ever thought of producing a BahtBus / Songthaew route map and price guide?

There is an existing map online and as far as I remember it is more or less up to date. I cant remember where I saw it though!

The bahtbus fare structure is in fact very simple: it's 10B everywhere, except for very long distances. The only routes that have these very long distances are Jomtien/Naklua and Sattahip/Sri Racha (white bahtbuses).

The only real arena for discussion is where on those routes a 10B fare becomes a 20B fare, and as far as I know for the Jomtien/Naklua route it has always been at the half-way point of Klang. I have no idea how it works on the white bus, but I do know that it's 20B from the Ambassador to Tai, which is if course a great deal further than from Jomtien to Klang on the dark blue bus route.

The main problem with bahtbus fares (and indeed everything else in Thailand that involves money) is the complete lack of clarity and precision. It would be incredibly simple for City Hall to put a proper price list in every bahtbus rather than the current and rather daft price list that talks about "over the hill" and quotes prices for a full bus rather than per person.

Pattaya is in dire need of superheroes willing to to go the extra MILAGE to protect the good citezens of the city.

Now carry on with your spledid work but make dure Mr Jing reveals the route, good detectives know that there is normally another side to the story.

You just need to keep an open mind and hopefully the truth will be revealed in this awful incident.

Have you considered the possible advantages of less alcohol and more medication?

There is the biggest hint, OP says : I am not young , fit, and can not run so why run at the mouth if the body can not follow? This is no place for the weak or those who believe PC will prevail. I suggest if you want to aggravate an uneducated thug get fit, get mean, and grow a pair.

• Like 1

.... has anyone ever thought of producing a BahtBus / Songthaew route map and price guide?

There is an existing map online and as far as I remember it is more or less up to date. I cant remember where I saw it though!

The bahtbus fare structure is in fact very simple: it's 10B everywhere, except for very long distances. The only routes that have these very long distances are Jomtien/Naklua and Sattahip/Sri Racha (white bahtbuses).

The only real arena for discussion is where on those routes a 10B fare becomes a 20B fare, and as far as I know for the Jomtien/Naklua route it has always been at the half-way point of Klang. I have no idea how it works on the white bus, but I do know that it's 20B from the Ambassador to Tai, which is if course a great deal further than from Jomtien to Klang on the dark blue bus route.

The main problem with bahtbus fares (and indeed everything else in Thailand that involves money) is the complete lack of clarity and precision. It would be incredibly simple for City Hall to put a proper price list in every bahtbus rather than the current and rather daft price list that talks about "over the hill" and quotes prices for a full bus rather than per person.

A bit like ilke this thread of the Baht bus king Mr Jingthing, if your going to start a thread at least be prepared to be transparent and open and answer the questions asked instead of pussy footing around and refusing to discuss certain parts of the alledged incident....A complete lack of CLARITY Jingthing...

I say alledged because as all we know up to now is that it's Mr Jingthings word against an unknown thug of a Thai...(Alledgedly your Honour)facepalm.gif

• Like 2

You just need to keep an open mind and hopefully the truth will be revealed in this awful incident.

Have you considered the possible advantages of less alcohol and more medication?

More alcohol and more medication, now move on Nurse Ratched...w00t.gif

Edited by MB1

This thug seemed to get pleasure from the violence more than money.

Maybe he recognized you were the guy who wrote a bad review of his friend's restaurant tongue.png

Gotta be careful what you write around here whistling.gif

Well, one of the better maps I found came from Thai Visa (apparently) ... I'll track that down later.

busroutes.jpg

As for prices ... from 2009

Official minibus fares listed by the Chonburi Transport Office are:

The Charoenrat Pattana-Najomtien Village route:

Charoenrat Pattana-Nipa Lodge Hotel 8 baht

Charoenrat Pattana -Asia Hotel 21 baht

Charoenrat Pattana-Soi Chaiyapruk 29 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Pattaya Market 8 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Asia Hotel 14 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 22 baht

The Pattaya Market -Soi Chaiyapruk 15 baht

Asia Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 8 baht

The around Pattaya route:

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Nipa Lodge (North Pattaya) 10 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya) 8 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-beginning of South Pattaya 10 baht

From Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya)-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya:

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya Road Intersection 8 baht

North Pattaya-Somprasong Plaza 11 baht

North Pattaya-Wat Bunkanjanaram 23 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Somprasong Plaza 8 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 17 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Wat Bunkanjanaram 8 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 12 baht

Wat Bunkanjanaram-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 8 baht

Source

Well, I wasn't able to easily track down that map I mention above, but did read back through a few previous threads on the subject ... and there have been a few!

JT ... I never knew you were colour blind. So was my dad. Didn't stop him seeing how beautiful my Mum was!

Maybe a reason that JT relies on the Songthaews rather getting a Licence and a Scooter.

But I digress.

One link I did find which has some interesting information is this ... http://www.buspattaya.org/infos/60-how-to-use-songthaew-busses-in-pattaya *

Still haven found a map that nails the prices and the Routes.

* Mods, it's an off-site Forum ... but not in the Thai Visa Format ... it's the buspattaya.org ... no commercial attributes that I could see ... just an information host.

Don't bother guessing but I will say Jomtien to Klang the well tested fare is 10 baht. I know many people think the line is pattaya tai but they are wrong.

1 in 100. Just scammers.

I just think your trying to get as much MILAGE out of this thread as you can, a bit like some people who try to get more MILAGE for their 10 baht on a baht bus.

Spot on. 

I was actually more interested in the nature of the "beat up"  beating ... was it a volley of punches to the face and guts, or a shove to the shoulder? or getting smacked with a fanny pack?

Legs and ears. Multiple hits and kicks. Leg still sore.