Thai Navy chief sees light at end of tunnel

webfact

Navy chief sees light at end of tunnel
By English News

1386141191361.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 4 – The Thai armed forces have totally ruled out a coup to end the political turmoil, navy chief Narong Pipathanasai said today.

Admiral Narong said the talk between Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban on Sunday was coordinated by leaders of the three armed forces at the initiative of the supreme commander.

“The armed forces have discussed the political conflicts and agreed that they would definitely not stage a coup based on lessons learned in the past,” he said.

Adm Narong said the political situation has improved and should soon be back to normal, and that the dialogue has eased the tension.

He said academics and politicians knowledgeable in politics and administrative system must jointly find an appropriate solution for Thailand with recommendations from the private sector.

“They have to find a way for co-existence to avoid violence in the future. The military does not have a political role,” he indicated.

The government and protesters have announced a truce tomorrow to mark His Majesty the King’s birthday.

Mr Suthep announced that the protest movement will resume Friday.

Adm Narong said a future dialogue, if possible, could be arranged by the supreme commander who earlier summoned leaders of the three armed forces for a discussion.

“The three armed forces will neither be involved in politics nor play a role in the protests. We believe there is a resolution (to the crisis). We are not at a dead-end,” he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-04

Hmmmm..... a couple of days ago, our dear lady Yingluck declared that she had asked Prayuth to arrange and mediate the meeting, but Khun Narong tells us "was coordinated by leaders of the three armed forces at the initiative of the supreme"?

So, who continues to spin & tell porkies-pies, then?

“The three armed forces will neither be involved in politics nor play a role in the protests."

Does this mean that a coup is not a realistic option for them but they will be very active behind the scenes? They have already played a welcome role in the protests by supplying medics and rescuing the Ramkhamhaeng students. They are involved.

“The three armed forces will neither be involved in politics nor play a role in the protests."

Does this mean that a coup is not a realistic option for them but they will be very active behind the scenes? They have already played a welcome role in the protests by supplying medics and rescuing the Ramkhamhaeng students. They are involved.

Sorry - I ended up accidentally posting the same comment twice, so I have edited it to remove my original comment from this, the second post... :)

I was in any case going to add my thanks to the Thai military for their actions.

Edited by Greer

It is a good thing the Military are not going to get involved! It would also be good if Military and Police Officers did not have a seat in Parliament, Parliament is supposed to be government of the people by the people not police officers etc! Even if they are only honorary titles!

"The military does not have a political role"

Who is the supreme commander ? Is it the king ? As I am politically naive here in Thailand I am interested to know .

I believe this is the name you are looking for :Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn.

post-9891-0-54027400-1386151105_thumb.jp

The man on the left is gen Prayuth Chan-Ocha.

As it is always the opposite of what they tell, it is scary......

The three armed forces will neither be involved in politics nor play a role in the protests."

The military have a role to play in protecting the country, and that also means its citizens - all of them - equally.

Thus, providing medical help where they can, when needed, and rescuing citizens from danger, is all part of their job.

Sadly it appeared that some of the police were not involved in even-handedly protecting the people from each other, so the military stepped up to help.

Yes, I agree. Military services in many countries deploy the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines to assist local authorities when disaster strikes, either natural or man made. The rescue of the students evidently was beyond the capability of the RTP and the option to use the military appeared prudent and restrained in as far as the situation allowed.

Had the police attempted the rescue with an improperly trained team, the end result may have been very different.

Just my 2-Satangs worth.

The three armed forces will neither be involved in politics nor play a role in the protests."

The word "always" is often used with such certainty. "Often, Frequently, Many Times" or similar words, are good alternatives.

• Like 1

Who is the supreme commander ? Is it the king ? As I am politically naive here in Thailand I am interested to know .

I believe this is the name you are looking for :Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn.

attachicon.gifarmy.jpg

Ohh they are married....lovely photo.

The word "always" is often used with such certainty. "Often, Frequently, Many Times" or similar words, are good alternatives.

yes you are right...sometimes they tell the true, as they know that we know that they are lying. So we would believe the opposite of what they told.

So by telling the true they basically double lied...

attachicon.gifarmy.jpg

Why is general holding hand of commander as if they were a married couple?

I understood the King sent unarmed soldiers from his own security troops to free the students in Ram and to help the monks in a wat who couldn't go out to get food. The army will act if the King asks or suggests something. We'll have to see if he gives direction in his speech tomorrow.

The Thai Navy hasn't been in the news in a long time. What ever happened to the capture of Thai navy personnel in the south running illegal Rohingya groups through to the Thai farmer who was also identified. Like most stories of corruption, criminal activity this news was just dropped with no follow up.

Hmmmm..... a couple of days ago, our dear lady Yingluck declared that she had asked Prayuth to arrange and mediate the meeting, but Khun Narong tells us "was coordinated by leaders of the three armed forces at the initiative of the supreme"?

So, who continues to spin & tell porkies-pies, then?

Surely in a democracy, the PM IS the supreme commander!

The military has always been involved in Thai politics as the stabilizing force. They're not staging a coup because it is not politically correct nor popular in this day and age. Don't be deceived though, they still wield powerful influence. If you don't support their budgets as requested (sans feed them) you won't last long. They walk softly(covertly) and carry a big stick.

Edited by smileydude

Actually, as one poster said earlier, they are all but taking a neutral stance. The Army might not launch a coup for now, but they did try their very best to make life impossible for the Prime minister.

From sending the army to evacuate students (and obviously not at the request of the Prime minister and minister of defence who has sole authority to command them), to sending army medics to assist rioters incapacitated by tear gas, to asking the chief of police not to use tear gas against rioters...

The thai army clearly chose its camp, and short of undertaking a coup, it is doing all it can to destabilize Yingluck and let it be known she is not supported or assisted in any manner.

The coup may come later, if a rioter/protester is "unfortunately" killed by a "stray shot" the origin of which will never be accurately ascertained, of course.

Nice exercise in manipulation of the brainless thai masses by the army, remains to see who is convinced among the so-called "educated" supporters of Suthep.