Which bank for smaller stock transactions?

Hi. I assume you are talking about Thai ETF's and Thai stocks (?) Am a little curious as to why you are looking for a bank (many of which have stockbroking arms like BKK Bank/Bualuang) versus a stand-alone brokerage. I think you will find that commissions are similar and reasonable and the more meaningful differentiation may be local factors (e.g. who has an office in your area and how helpful are the staff there) and then perhaps the quality/functionality of respective web sites. Why the aversion to managed funds by the way?

Hi. I assume you are talking about Thai ETF's and Thai stocks (?) Am a little curious as to why you are looking for a bank (many of which have stockbroking arms like BKK Bank/Bualuang) versus a stand-alone brokerage. I think you will find that commissions are similar and reasonable and the more meaningful differentiation may be local factors (e.g. who has an office in your area and how helpful are the staff there) and then perhaps the quality/functionality of respective web sites. Why the aversion to managed funds by the way?

I am looking to have a diversified portfolio of Asia,

Was not aware of stock brokers here, which ones are good

who provides good reports ?

Managed funds swallow too much of the performance through fees.

Plus to handle investments myself keeps my brain active.

General question = I didn´t look at tax consequences. Is there a rule of thumb which countries to exclude because of tax complications, such as no double tax treaties?

Any links where to get info on the subject?

OK. For Thai stockbrokers take a look at http://www.set.or.th/set/memberlist.do?language=en&country=US

Use the Thaivisa forum search using search words like "stockbrokers" "sharebrokers" etc to locate some of the many earlier threads where folks talk about the perceived pros and cons of various Thai stockbrokers. Now if you want stocks from other countries (and you wish to avoid mutual funds) you'll need to establish an account with another online broker that allows trading across various countries. Again, though, there are plenty of relevant TV threads about such brokers. Try seaching using terms like "international shares" "US stocks" etc ... in fact just scroll back through a few pages of prior threads and you'll probably find one or more relevant threads.

Likewise there are many good threads on investing in mutual funds/managed funds, and you might be pleasantly surprised about the fees and returns on offer.

Aberdeen growth, as an example, is up about 1000% over the past 10 or so years. The fees are just under 2%, with a 1% back end fee. Still don't like fees? I guess everybody has to ask themselves if they could beat that, considering the fees, if they are picking the Thai stocks themselves. I know I could not.

If I understand your question, I like Tisco. Kiatnakin via Phatra is also reliable, although you may need a lot of capital to open. BBL asset management may be an option. I have read on here that KGI is good too.

Edited by meand

Thai banks are not allowed to deal in securities. You need a licensed securities firm. TISCO, Maybank Kim Eng, Bualuang and SCB Securities are good and have decent English research if you want that. Phatra is really only interested in high net worth clients but will give you an internet only account. No experience with Kiatnakin. Asiaplus a bit lacking in English but can be OK, if you hit the right person. All of these can open a separate overseas trading account for you to deal in foreign markets where you can also buy ETFs. You don't need a lot of money to open online accounts for Thai securities. Commissions are reasonable even though they have to put the orders through a broker overseas. There are some Thai tax implications for trading overseas through an account with a Thai broker which you should ask them about. If you have cash offshore, you can consider Boom.com in Hong Kong for online trading in all Asian markets, including Thailand, and the US. Commissions are reasonable, customer service excellent and there is no HK tax liabiltiy.

You can also consider Aberdeen Asset Management in Bangkok or Singapore for actively managed funds but not ETFs. You can buy theirThai and foreign funds direct from the Bkk office in Bangkok City Tower, Sathorn Road, or through a Thai bank or broker. UOB Asset Management in Bkk also OK and all the Thai owned ones.

MEAND + ARKAY that is substantive info of use, thanks a lot. Abderdenn made me swallow my spit, if that performance is correct then the fees are more than well deserved. Boom is of interest. Although Singapore is mentioned here mostly, never though of a Hongkong Bank, what would speak against it? English is the main reason why I am hesitant with Thai banks.

Thai banks are not allowed to deal in securities. You need a licensed securities firm. TISCO, Maybank Kim Eng, Bualuang and SCB Securities are good and have decent English research if you want that. Phatra is really only interested in high net worth clients but will give you an internet only account. No experience with Kiatnakin. Asiaplus a bit lacking in English but can be OK, if you hit the right person. All of these can open a separate overseas trading account for you to deal in foreign markets where you can also buy ETFs. You don't need a lot of money to open online accounts for Thai securities. Commissions are reasonable even though they have to put the orders through a broker overseas. There are some Thai tax implications for trading overseas through an account with a Thai broker which you should ask them about. If you have cash offshore, you can consider Boom.com in Hong Kong for online trading in all Asian markets, including Thailand, and the US. Commissions are reasonable, customer service excellent and there is no HK tax liabiltiy.

You can also consider Aberdeen Asset Management in Bangkok or Singapore for actively managed funds but not ETFs. You can buy theirThai and foreign funds direct from the Bkk office in Bangkok City Tower, Sathorn Road, or through a Thai bank or broker. UOB Asset Management in Bkk also OK and all the Thai owned ones.

+1 for Boom customer service it is excellent also no issues with English. They can trade most Asian markets, incl Thailand, plus US and OZ, no European markets however. Edited by wordchild

I live in Thailand and am interested in trading US/EU/AUS shares. Does somebody know of a suitable broker/financial institution with reasonable fees in Thailand/Singapore/HK? The ability to maintain accounts in USD/Euro/AUD/THB would be ideal.

Edited by CeeBee

I live in Thailand and am interested in trading US/EU/AUS shares. Does somebody know of a suitable broker/financial institution with reasonable fees in Thailand/Singapore/HK? The ability to maintain accounts in USD/Euro/AUD/THB would be ideal.

i think Phillip securities in Singapore can provide much of what you are looking for. As mentioned above Boom in HK is also very good but they dont offer access to the main EU markets or at least they didnt last time i checked. Phillip also have an office in Thailand but you may prefer to keep your funds offshore from Thailand (i certainly do) in which case open an account in Sing.

+1 for Boom customer service it is excellent also no issues with English. They can trade most Asian markets, incl Thailand, plus US and OZ, no European markets however.

http://baby.boom.com.hk/en/index.asp