Chang Beer Alcohol Content Reduced

Ron19

On the basis of this rather disturbing thread I took myself off to a local licensed distributor (AKA Family Mart) and investigated the cold shelves therewithin.

Lo and behold.... single bottles of Chang Classic were now rated at 6 % and at 51 bht per bottle (Phuket prices) however the twin packs at 6.4% are now at 99Bht.

This caused a dreadful dilemma and I am at a loss as to how it all ended.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are alcohol testers available which can measure the alcohol content of liquids.

But, they are a waste of money.

Yes, they may work reliably.

But, it is just easier to drink the Chang beer,

And then to count the number of cans drunk,

Before getting drunk.

I have been in another country drinking with friends,

Downing the Chang beer.

And a comment made by a friend of mine who didn't even know where the beer came from was,

I think this beer is lower alcohol content than stated on the packaging/can.

The beer we often purchased was 5% alcohol in a rather small green can.

I think it was 330ml size,

And that was at a time, about 8 years ago, when we normally would only see the 355 ml size.

It was pretty obvious that sometimes the Chang beer would be quite strong,

And then you would buy another few 6-packs and it would be quite low in alcohol content.

Why is it that the brewer cannot control this alcohol content far more reliably?

I really don't think this is rocket science, and should not be difficult at all.

Anyway, I am just relating this true story of about 8 to 10 years ago.

I had some great times getting drunk with my friends, discussing old times, books read, music listened to.

We usually bought an assortment of beers for each evening, such as Kirin, Asahi, and Chang.

Sometimes Chang was really good.

If several other companies use 630 mL bottles, perhaps they phased out the 640's due to larger economies of scale on the 630's.

The alcohol by volume change is odd, since that would mean the ingredient quantities would have had to have changed. Like another poster said, it was probably due to the tax.

Perhaps they are just getting everything aligned for AEC integration.

I wouldn't call it corporate greed. The whole point of a company is to make money. They are simply trying a different strategy in an attempt to raise profits. It will probably work since most people won't notice, but it could also backfire if everyone got upset and switched to something else.

Time to switch to LEO ?

Do you mean now at 2:30AM?

If I were younger, I could drink more.

But if I drink more, then while drinking, it really seems like I am young again.

Someone should put a little calculator on TVF which would work like this:

Type in size in ml of packaging/can

Type in percent of alcohol printed on packaging/can

Type in price of can

The result should be the cost per ml of pure alcohol.

Then, the lower the cost the more you buy.

Simple.

But not so easy when you walk into the store drunk out of your gourd.

This is when the ThaiVisa alcohol computer really would come in handy!

• Like 1

Might start drinking It again, now they've reduced the quality and the strength ,, the other stufff was way to strong for me.

Used to get into all sorts of trouble,, falling over,, not knowing what day of the week It was,,and even got to the stage where I was eyeing up Lady boys. biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579>

is there something wrong with us taffs? i had to stop drinking classic i used to get awfull cramp in bed and the wife always asked for money after a few bottles.now i know why she ordered me 5cases of john kepplars cider 6%.

now its the export,i bought 2cases last sunday still 640ml.

john kepplars cider,,, In Thailand ??

Please tell me Its true smile.png

Magners (Bulmers to you Irish) available in Macro, expensive though over 200 a bottle ....

magners [piss] womans drink with added water.tell me where you are taff.i will give you all the details of who to order it with.

T.I.T. taffy in thailand.

The poster above who states that he drank red bull and changs is a real glutton for punishment.

Also, when you load up on caffeine and alcohol, this really puts you more at risk for stupid behavior, because when you would ordinarily be asleep from the alcohol overdose, you then are kept awake, stumbling around by the shot of stimulant from the bull.

I wonder how many people regret this combination later when they get into real trouble?