Tesco/Lotus non plastic policy

bubblegum

Don't get me wrong I'm a supporter of a clean environment and there is way too much plastic flooting around in the world's oceans these day BUT

who is the genius at Tesco's who implemented this policy without given the costumers an alternative (recycled paper bags) ?

Now you've got no way of taking your shoppings with you unless you bring your own bag (yeah tourist will know this) OR BUYING a plastic bag at the bloody counter for 39-- bath !!!

• Like 1

These Thais, they tend to leave you speechless with their genius ideas don't they?

Their initiative is great but I agree at least make the dam_n recycled bags available.

Tesco are one of the few supermarkets that do not provide degradable plastic bags as the extra cost would eat

into their vastly obscene profits, disgusting behaviour. If Tesco will not provide me with a free plastic bag for the

shopping I am buying in their store then I will go to another store who will, like Tops, Villa who do care enough

for their customers to provide them with bio-degradable FREE plastic bags which are ideal for recycling as

rubbish bags. BYE BYE TESCO. And of course big C still give bags. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

I really support this initiative. I never take a plastic bag from 7-11s or Family Marts. Makro offer no bags, I take my own.

Very good initiative. A few months ago I went into Makro/Krabi, was a bit at a loss but still happily surprised when they didn't put my stuff into bags, they made me purchase a durable plastic bag which I am still using.

Have been wondering about bio-degradable plastic bags for a very long time. 20+ years ago, when I still had a restaurant in Amsterdam/Netherlands, I decided to run a little experiment, and I pinned a bio-degradable bag to the wall in the storage room. A few years down the road it was still there, and looking perfect. But outdoors it might be different, and likely technique has improved. Might repeat the experiment and pin a bio-degradable bag to a tree in the garden, hope the cat leaves it alone, and see how fast it disappears.

It's not so much the branded plastic bags that are the main problem, it's the smaller bags used for curries and from the smaller Thai shops I see everywhere flying about, dumped by the wayside. Are these biodegradable? And given that those tiered pots are too cumbersome to lug around. Used to be banana wrapped leaves, paper bags would certainly be an improvement. From recycled paper, no need to cut down even more trees.

Here's a link to the first country in the world to ban them and the impact on their environment - Rwanda w00t.gifhttps://medium.com/a-good-cause/4dcfc945ede5

Not trying to hijack your thread OP.But I wanted to have a winge about Tesco.

Went to buy an item yesterday but all of them had slight marks on them,so left them.

I went back today because I thought the mark does not really matter..

Now the same item was still there(not new stock) but it had increased by 5 bht along with numerous other items in that section.

I know its only 5 bht but why the increase on old stock?

I heard yesterday that lotus is not doing so well here anymore

Not trying to hijack your thread OP.But I wanted to have a winge about Tesco.

Went to buy an item yesterday but all of them had slight marks on them,so left them.

I went back today because I thought the mark does not really matter..

Now the same item was still there(not new stock) but it had increased by 5 bht along with numerous other items in that section.

I know its only 5 bht but why the increase on old stock?

I heard yesterday that lotus is not doing so well here anymore

If you increase prices you increase prices on old and new stock.

Lotus is doing very well in SEA, not so good back in Europe.

Have been wondering about bio-degradable plastic bags for a very long time. 20+ years ago, when I still had a restaurant in Amsterdam/Netherlands, I decided to run a little experiment, and I pinned a bio-degradable bag to the wall in the storage room. A few years down the road it was still there, and looking perfect. But outdoors it might be different, and likely technique has improved. Might repeat the experiment and pin a bio-degradable bag to a tree in the garden, hope the cat leaves it alone, and see how fast it disappears.

They break down in direct sunlight not in the shade

It never ceases to amaze me how a relatively well-run place like Tesco catches all the flak, while places like SuperCheap (at least its second generation, non-immolated, minimart progeny) can get with causing traffic jams, poor sanitary conditions...and they aren't even really all that cheap...They should patent the odor that pervades each of them as a new emetic.

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how a relatively well-run place like Tesco catches all the flak, while places like SuperCheap (at least its second generation, non-immolated, minimart progeny) can get with causing traffic jams, poor sanitary conditions...and they aren't even really all that cheap...They should patent the odor that pervades each of them as a new emetic.

I agree 100%.

I often wonder if it is management's policy to maintain those places in as disgusting a state as possible.

It seems the dirtier they are, the more people flock to them.

And then there's the double parking and motorbike mayhem out front.

They break down in direct sunlight not in the shade

Wrong - try again.

deleted.

Come on, KB! Get it off your chest! laugh.png

I just went to the new humongous great Tesco on Chao Fah West - just before Wat Chalong.

Plenty of plastic bags offered and taken. smile.png

Then went to the Lotus Express just south of Hayek Chalong - ditto, bags a-plenty.

I've got no problem with plastic, clearly, apart from the b@stards who burn it at dusk. mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

So which Tesco has this "no plastic" policy?

deleted.

Come on, KB! Get it off your chest! laugh.png

I just went to the new humongous great Tesco on Chao Fah West - just before Wat Chalong.

Plenty of plastic bags offered and taken. smile.png

Then went to the Lotus Express just south of Hayek Chalong - ditto, bags a-plenty.

I've got no problem with plastic, clearly, apart from the b@stards who burn it at dusk. mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

So which Tesco has this "no plastic" policy?

According to the thread tesco sai yuan.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app