Pop up to sign up for breaking news

aguy30

BREAKING NEWS
THAI VISA UPDATES

I am wondering if I am the only one that hates that annoying blue pop up screen to sign up to receive breaking news from ThaiVisa? It is similar and equally bothersome as the format now used by Bangkok Post and The Nation to push advertising on viewers before the site info can be accessed.

May I suggest that the format be changed so that it it located at the side or bottom of the screen more like an ad and it doesn't have to be closed every time news is checked?

I agree. It's very aggressive and user unfriendly. It has even frozen my browser requiring me to reload all my open tabs. If someone really wants to receive breaking news updates from Thai Visa then I'm sure they will figure it out without the need for intrusive guerrilla marketing. Perhaps Suthep could add this to the list of demands...

George is always happy to receive feedback from members if it helps improve the user experience.

Sometimes new features can be added to a forum by developers who are not necessarily regular forum users so it takes user-feedback in threads like this to make them aware how their well meaning add-on is more annoying than useful.

I agree, there is no x you can select to close it so the only way to close it is to exit. Annoying.

You don't get ads of this type usually on good websites

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

my opera gives a closing x. but its a moving target for far too long. annoying yes the twentieth time you have seen it..

We are looking into this issue. The newsletter sign-up should only come up once I am told by the web guys. How often is it showing up for you?

Actually, it hasn't popped up for me again in the last few days, so maybe it's been sorted. However, the week before it seemed to be every time I logged in!

Thanks for the help.

The popup appearance seems to be controlled by the ThaiVisa cookie. I use a cleaner that performs a cleaning every hour. It reappears whenever the cookies are cleaned. The popup is back when links are accessed thru https://twitter.com/georgebkk or directly from ThaiVisa.com.

Your cleaner software is the issue. The forum is designed to be used with cookies to remember your settings and other things.

I understand that. I "ignored" the TV cookie in my cleaner to resolve the problem.

People use a cleaner because tracking cookies are a concern for the "other things" that aren't always so nice on some websites. It is too bad that it can't be a box on the side, top or bottom instead of a popup that uses a cookie.

Thanks George