Windows Start menu to return in Windows 8.2

george

The first Win 8 machine I got was an HP laptop. I formatted the whole HDD including the restore partition and installed Win 7 Ultimate.

THEN I discovered there were no drivers for that box for Win 7. So I grabbed a disc for Win 8 pro which is what it had, formatted and installed it. No go.

The new machines have the OEM # in the bios, and you can't use a different disk even if you buy it. It won't validate. There is no longer a product key on the bottom of the computer. Only a symbol. There is no opportunity to enter a product key, and it is encrypted in the registry. There simply is no way other than the restore partition which will match what is burned into the bios.

I had to order and pay for the "restore disk" from HP, using the model # and serial # and it turned out to be a memory stick. It contained an image that restored the disk and partitions.

So there is more than Win 8 to dislike about the new computers.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

The first Win 8 machine I got was an HP laptop. I formatted the whole HDD including the restore partition and installed Win 7 Ultimate.

THEN I discovered there were no drivers for that box for Win 7. So I grabbed a disc for Win 8 pro which is what it had, formatted and installed it. No go.

The new machines have the OEM # in the bios, and you can't use a different disk even if you buy it. It won't validate. There is no longer a product key on the bottom of the computer. Only a symbol. There is no opportunity to enter a product key, and it is encrypted in the registry. There simply is no way other than the restore partition which will match what is burned into the bios.

I had to order and pay for the "restore disk" from HP, using the model # and serial # and it turned out to be a memory stick. It contained an image that restored the disk and partitions.

Wow, interesting. This makes buying "OS free" computers more and more attractive. Are they actually trying to fuel the piracy market?

• Like 1

What's all this about. In Windows 8 press the Microsoft key and up cpmes the normal desktop, which you can then put icons for all the programs and folders you need, and who needs classic shell. To shut down, Microsoft key and i brings it up. Why do folks want it "like it used to be". Learn new ways.

MS really shot themselves in the foot with Windows 8. Even the computer illiterates are beginning to realize that Win 8 is an abomination. I made the mistake of buying a new Lenovo laptop with win 8 because the price was ridiculously low. Now I know why. The OS is so infuriating that I installed win 7 in a virtual machine, and use that instead.

• Like 1

MS really shot themselves in the foot with Windows 8. Even the computer illiterates are beginning to realize that Win 8 is an abomination. I made the mistake of buying a new Lenovo laptop with win 8 because the price was ridiculously low. Now I know why. The OS is so infuriating that I installed win 7 in a virtual machine, and use that instead.

I continue to try and find a single thing that I actually prefer in windows 8 to the windows XP pro that worked just fine.

When will some computer geeks ever learn that sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it....Not a day goes by that I don't have some stupid issue with windows 8 and curse the geeks who decided that I need a zillion "aps" and BS.

I would go back to XP but of course now MS says no more XP updates or support....apparently MOST of the worlds computers still have XP and the hackers are just chomping at the bits to get into those systems once the lack of support and patches make it easier.

Edited by pomchop

Windows 8.1 was the reason I went with a MacBook Pro when I upgraded my hardware last month. I'm not a Mac fanboy in the least, in fact this is my first experience with a Mac, but I'm finding OSX a far better, less confusing, less frustrating, UI than Win8, plus I can use Crossover to run the odd Windows app that I still require.

I thought that's what 8.1 was for [one of the main things at least]... to bring back the START button

Anyway I don't see the big deal, I have Windows 8, and I am still relucatant to upgrade to 8.1.

Although if I have the START button I wouldn't mind it, but after working with Windows 8 without it, I simply found out I do really need it nor miss it too much.

• Like 1

First thing I do with every Windows 8 machine is to install Classic Shell.

I've kept my main desktop PC running Win 7 while waiting to see how Win 8 evolves...

But i have a second desktop, so I decided to install Win 8, and now Win 8.1 on that. And have been playing around with it in recent months.

Ditto on your comment. I tried and hated using the Win 8 software on a desktop without a Start Menu, or more precisely, running the Metro interface on a desktop use. Quickly installed Classic Shell to partly remedy the problems.

But, as the OP report mentions, if the future 8.2 version of Windows does allow Metro apps to be run in resizeable and moveable windows on the desktop, that would be another meaningful step in the direct direction.

The problem is...some apps are simply meant for smaller screens or uses, and don't contain enough content to fill up the entire screen space of a large monitor like many have on their desktops. But with the original version of Win 8, in Metro, you were stuck with ONE thing taking up your entire desktop...no matter how much or little space it deserved.

Now in Win 8.1, I gather, you can divide the Metro interface screen into two halfs... But that's not what I want either.

Maybe Metro (which isn't called that anymore for trademark reasons) is a good interface for tablets and touchscreens. But it really started out as a horrible interface for desktops. And that's where MS went seriously wrong in the first place.

I have tablets and smartphones....and I use them regularly for simple stuff and content consumption... But I do my work of all varieties, almost always, on Windows-based PCs and laptops with real keyboards and all the other niceties.... And I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I use windows 8 on all my machines. I just click the desktop 'tile' and it is working for me like before.

Never used the start menu since it was invented. Only for a shutdown i used the start button how is that for an inappropriate name for a 'button'.

The pograms that i use the most (about 8 ) i just place on the taskbar, and for less used items a link on the desktop.

For less used programs the tiled menu is a breath of fresh air. I am able to very quickly open the one i need. You do have to drag and drop the tiles where you want them but that is only a few minutes work. I just hit the windows key and they are all there neatly organised. If it is an even less used program i just start ty[ping the name after pressing the windows key. It will find the program and start it. Super! (just like it was in 7).

• Like 1

What really ticked me off was them totally ignoring non-touch screen users when they did the Win 8.1 upgrade.

Yes...if you're the type who enjoys puzzles, riddles and untangling earphone cables...Windows 8 is probably fun and productive once figured out. For me, the frustrating lack of intuitive pathways along with the baffling users guides added a whole new level of vexation my life didn't need.

"CLASSIC SHELL" was welcome relief.

Win-95 = Triumph

Win. ME = Disaster

Win. XP = Triumph

Win Vista = Disaster

Win-7 = Triumph

Win 8 = Disaster

Looks like we have something to look forward to next time.

Win 8.1 is the fastest and most stable Windows out there. Use Classic Shell and you have the menu you're used to using.

But despite the drastic look of the Win 8 UI, under the hood it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

You only have to look at the Version info to tell....

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

• Like 2

Wow, interesting. This makes buying "OS free" computers more and more attractive. Are they actually trying to fuel the piracy market?

Actually, this burned in bios deal is only being used by OEM manufacturers. I suspect they have a deal with Microsoft. I recently built a new desktop with off-the shelf parts and didn't have that issue.

So yes, I suspect that an OS free computer wouldn't have that bios lock. But, I bought a nice HP laptop with 6 gig of ram and a 750 gig HDD, fast chip etc. AND the OS included for US$399 (12,800 bht) So it seemed like a good deal and probably still is with Classic Shell on it. But I sure learned a lesson about the bios working with the one OEM copy but no retail or enterprise version, and about drivers being available which I always get when I buy components, and usually upgrade after installation.

Actually, this burned in bios deal is only being used by OEM manufacturers. I suspect they have a deal with Microsoft. I recently built a new desktop with off-the shelf parts and didn't have that issue.

So yes, I suspect that an OS free computer wouldn't have that bios lock. But, I bought a nice HP laptop with 6 gig of ram and a 750 gig HDD, fast chip etc. AND the OS included for US$399 (12,800 bht) So it seemed like a good deal and probably still is with Classic Shell on it. But I sure learned a lesson about the bios working with the one OEM copy but no retail or enterprise version, and about drivers being available which I always get when I buy components, and usually upgrade after installation.

I'm a self-builder too. 2 PCs at home, 1 for work and 1 HTPC. I can't imagine they can infect BIOS with this for that purpose but OEM manufacturers naturally. Bought my wife an ASUS laptop recently without OS and just installed a, now not needed by me, Win 7 licence. At least we have flexibility moving forward. Interestingly you can't seem to buy OS free laptops in the UK (or they are very hard to come by). Just searched for Linux laptops UK and found very little (6 compared to nearly 900 Win 8 on Amazon!!). Going to make buying computers in Asia more attractive again!

"Desktop" of 2in 8 is not same, classic Shell is much better.

Problem with Win 8 is that it is designed for touch screen etc, which does not lend itself to conventional use. I tried using it for a few months but just had enough.

Also, cannot stand the menu "shooting in" from the right side every time I move the mouse across the screen - bloody stupid !

• Like 1

Came across this interesting article today on the NBC News website...titled:

Worst Windows 8.1 annoyances and how to fix them

Some good suggestions and recommended remedies in there for a variety of dumb moves MS has made with the Win 8 OS... But in a sign of how crazy things have gotten, a couple of the fixes involve going in and changing the Windows registry settings... Yeesh....

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/worst-windows-8-1-annoyances-how-fix-them-2D11691753

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I use windows 8 on all my machines. I just click the desktop 'tile' and it is working for me like before.

Never used the start menu since it was invented. Only for a shutdown i used the start button how is that for an inappropriate name for a 'button'.

The pograms that i use the most (about 8 ) i just place on the taskbar, and for less used items a link on the desktop.

For less used programs the tiled menu is a breath of fresh air. I am able to very quickly open the one i need. You do have to drag and drop the tiles where you want them but that is only a few minutes work. I just hit the windows key and they are all there neatly organised. If it is an even less used program i just start ty[ping the name after pressing the windows key. It will find the program and start it. Super! (just like it was in 7).

The start button brings up a dialogue box that you can type into. It has fuzzy logic that will guess what you want as you type. Easy way to find programs and utilities.

You can type "regedit" and get your registry editor, or "diskpart" or most other DOS commands and get a dos prompt. Right click on the answer that appears above and choose "run as administrator." Now you have complete control of your computer back.

For those of us who grew up with DOS, there are some things it will do that no Windows utility will fully do.

Diskpart will clean a disk when format balks. Perhaps it is balking due to a format type it doesn't recognize on a partition such as the new ReFS found on some partitions with Win 8 server version, or perhaps something pulled from a linux machine, etc. etc. Whatever the balk, diskpart will restore the disk to factory new with no software on it. As soon as you activate and format it, it's back in biz.

I could go on all day 555. :)

What's all this about. In Windows 8 press the Microsoft key and up cpmes the normal desktop, which you can then put icons for all the programs and folders you need, and who needs classic shell. To shut down, Microsoft key and i brings it up. Why do folks want it "like it used to be". Learn new ways.

<Learn new ways.>

Why should we?

Normally the CUSTOMER is right, but in the computer business, apparently some computer moron's idea of what we should use is more important than what WE want. XP was just fine ( even 98 was OK ), but now I have to learn a whole new system just because MS wants to get richer. Sod the lot of them.

• Like 1

As an addition to all this, I upgraded to 8.1, since then my iTunes would not work. Having searched the internet, this seems to be common and there is no easy "fix" . I have now reverted back to Windows 8 ( after having to re-load ALL programmes). iTunes now works perfectly.

Reading some "insider reports" online, it seems that Win8.2 won't have the old-and-beloved Win7 start menu, but rather a smaller (not full screen) version of the Windows Metro screen. It is also speculated that when choosing a Metro app from the Desktop non-full-screen "menu" that the Metro app will run in a (movable & re-sizeable?) window on the traditional Desktop.

As an addition to all this, I upgraded to 8.1, since then my iTunes would not work. Having searched the internet, this seems to be common and there is no easy "fix" . I have now reverted back to Windows 8 ( after having to re-load ALL programmes). iTunes now works perfectly.

What about iTunes would not work for you on Win8.1?

I've been using Win8.1 since it was released, but only this week installed iTunes (v.11.1.3.8 for Windows 64-bit) and haven't tinkered with it much (e.g. haven't created any playlists) but it seems to play my .mp3 and .mp4 files. What was your experience?

I was listening to the radio podcasts done by a couple of the original journalist sources for these reports (Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott), and the whole issue of the Start Menu and desktop sounds like it's a lot more complicated and involved that portrayed in the OP here.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/further-changes-coming-windows-threshold

Re the Windows desktop, it sounds like the current forecast is that MS will come out with several different versions of Windows 8.2 aimed at different categories of devices. Supposedly, among those different SKUs, there's supposed to be at least ONE "enterprise" type version of the group that will be aimed at booting to the desktop, as opposed to the Modern style aimed at tablets and such.

As for the Start Menu, the radio reporting similar to what Wpcoe says above indicated that MS is heading toward some kind of smaller version of the Start Menu, though it's not clear just what it can be or will be populated with.

The original version of the Start Menu reporting had that feature being part of the future Windows 8.2 release. But the more recent reports now seem to be saying it could well be a feature brought back in early 2014 as part of some Windows 8.1 update.

I bought a new laptop yesterday at BananaIT, a Lenovo Z510, but it came with DOS only. Bought Win 8.1 and installed it to include the latest drivers from the Lenovo support website--durn good website layout...I was even able to download from the website a maintenance manual showing how to completely disassemble the laptop....things are working good so far after 24 hours of use (knock on wood). Switching back and forth between the Win 8.1 Tiles/Start screen and Desktop screen is a piece of cake. More Win 8.1 testing/learning to do...on my other laptop I'm running Win 7....the Win 8.1 Desktop mode is very similar to the Win 7 layout IMHO.